Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional fighters you like/dislike the most...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

Was never much of Forrest Griffin fan...but then I read "Got Milk" and couldnt help but admire him a bit.
    It amazing the difference between the media perception you get of people and then you read what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

All fighters show great commitment, even amateurs. That is irrelevant. This thread is about fighters you like/dislike. You're trying to suggest that his personal characteristics should not be taken into account when determining whether you like or dislike him. As none of us know him personally we can only go by information that is in the public domain, and that information suggests that he's a bit of a gowl. You dont think this he is one, fair enough, but dont try to convince others when you know no more (probably less actually) than the rest of us.

I wasn't the one to start bashing fighters. I'm not trying to convince others. I'm simply sticking up for fighters. I think it's sad when others think they have the right to attack or call a fighters character in to question.

This seems to be a place for NON MMA fans to bitch about fighters. Real fans don't do this. I'm sorry I even posted here, but I just couldn't bite my lip.

I've been an MMA fan since I seen the 1st UFC & my pet hate has been "know it all's" who's disrespect or bitch about fighters.

You say "As none of us know him personally we can only go by information that is in the public domain, and that information suggests that he's a bit of a gowl."

Sad that. Read the Sun much?

You then say " You dont think this he is one, fair enough, but dont try to convince others when you know no more (probably less actually) than the rest of us.

I'm not going to judge other fighters or make a fool of myself by trying to paint their character with information from unreliable sources. It's been done here & it's clear for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoboRat

This seems to be a place for NON MMA fans to bitch about fighters.
    that's a load of bull... if you are a real MMA fan you are not allowed to have an opinion about a fighter? So, if you are a real footballer you are not allowed to have an opinion about a footballer and so on? This thread is about fighters you LIKE and DISLIKE. These guys get paid for what they do, and if they act/come across a certain way/fight a certain way, then the public (who pays their wages) is entitled to have an opinion about them. Without the public paying to see fights they wouldn't be famous, so like with everything in life, there is a flip side to the good - remember, some characteristics that some people dislike about fighters are the very reason that others like those fighters... each to their own.

I haven't seen anyone questioning their heart or commitment and I'm pretty sure everyone has the upmost respect for them - I know I do because I train 3 times a week so I have an idea of how bloody hard the training is.
    I'm not going to judge other fighters or make a fool of myself by trying to paint their character with information from unreliable sources

Then don't... unless there someone standing with a gun to your head telling you to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

barochoc wrote: »
    I wasn't the one to start bashing fighters. I'm not trying to convince others. I'm simply sticking up for fighters. I think it's sad when others think they have the right to attack or call a fighters character in to question.

This seems to be a place for NON MMA fans to bitch about fighters. Real fans don't do this. I'm sorry I even posted here, but I just couldn't bite my lip.

I've been an MMA fan since I seen the 1st UFC & my pet hate has been "know it all's" who's disrespect or bitch about fighters.

You say "As none of us know him personally we can only go by information that is in the public domain, and that information suggests that he's a bit of a gowl."

Sad that. Read the Sun much?

You then say " You dont think this he is one, fair enough, but dont try to convince others when you know no more (probably less actually) than the rest of us.

I'm not going to judge other fighters or make a fool of myself by trying to paint their character with information from unreliable sources. It's been done here & it's clear for all to see.

Ok, where to start? I presume by 'real fans' you're referring to yourself. Fair play to you. You've been a fan since you've seen the first UFC? I assume you mean on dvd or something.

I dont read the Sun, thanks for the insult. If you haven't heard or seen Matt Hughes act like a gowl then for such a big fan you dont seem to know much about him. Unreliable sources? Like what, interviews with the man or his own autobiography?

This forum is particularly good because it doesn't slag off fighters for no reason. The people on here, in my opinion, know a lot and I like reading this forum. The only problem I see is when people come in talking about 'real fans' and people who question fans because they do some MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just started reading Hughes' biography after reading this thread.....

I'd probably get a ban if I called him what I want to. Only on chapter 4 but he comes across as someone who can give it but can't take it.

Him and his brother purposely starting fights with other college young fellas, etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just started reading Hughes' biography after reading this thread.....

I'd probably get a ban if I called him what I want to. Only on chapter 4 but he comes across as someone who can give it but can't take it.

Any update on the piglet mutilation? I have the book at home but forgot to track down that section to quote the unaltered version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Any update on the piglet mutilation? I have the book at home but forgot to track down that section to quote the unaltered version.

That's actually not that bad to be honest. They(always him and his twin brother) bring a college mate who's from the city to their farm to freak him out by doing the pig castrations.

When a sow gives birth they often roll over and kill a few piglets so there are dead ones on the floor. The two brothers start chasing the bloke throwing dead piglets and discarded pig testicles at him.........lovely.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

You say that was "originally posted by Matt Hughes" and then post a biased and BS summary of the chapter? I've read the book and while Hughes does come over as a typical high school arrogant git, that summary is complete crap.

Legend has it that the summary was writte by none other than Sean "Big Sexy" McCorkle. I've edited my original post to give him the credit ;)

RoboRat wrote: »
    that's a load of bull... if you are a real MMA fan you are not allowed to have an opinion about a fighter? So, if you are a real footballer you are not allowed to have an opinion about a footballer and so on? This thread is about fighters you LIKE and DISLIKE. These guys get paid for what they do, and if they act/come across a certain way/fight a certain way, then the public (who pays their wages) is entitled to have an opinion about them. Without the public paying to see fights they wouldn't be famous, so like with everything in life, there is a flip side to the good - remember, some characteristics that some people dislike about fighters are the very reason that others like those fighters... each to their own.

I haven't seen anyone questioning their heart or commitment and I'm pretty sure everyone has the upmost respect for them - I know I do because I train 3 times a week so I have an idea of how bloody hard the training is.

Then don't... unless there someone standing with a gun to your head telling you to reply.

Missing the point as usual. Good man. I'm pretty sure people in here DON'T have the upmost respect for Hughes after reading that so called summary trash posted up by SanoVitae! I don't really care anymore but that was fighter bashing in my book.

That's proper Sun reading traits right there. Believing everything you read. Whatever you do, don't buy the book & draw your own conclusion. Just google up a summary & throw it at somebody. Sit back & feel proud of yourself afterwards too..... then pretend not to realise it was complete trash.

Ok, where to start? I presume by 'real fans' you're referring to yourself. Fair play to you. You've been a fan since you've seen the first UFC? I assume you mean on dvd or something.

I dont read the Sun, thanks for the insult. If you haven't heard or seen Matt Hughes act like a gowl then for such a big fan you dont seem to know much about him. Unreliable sources? Like what, interviews with the man or his own autobiography?

This forum is particularly good because it doesn't slag off fighters for no reason. The people on here, in my opinion, know a lot and I like reading this forum. The only problem I see is when people come in talking about 'real fans' and people who question fans because they do some MMA.

Seen my first UFC on VHS actually. Bet you wish there was a sarcasm font :rolleyes:

Gowl... what a word. I know enough about Matt to be sure that he stands up for everything he believes in. Unlike most people in here. He tells it like it is & doesn't like ass kissers or wannabees. Using ridiculous so called chapter summaries posted by an obvious hater is not an interview or from Hughes's Autobiography.

The people in here don't slag of fighters for no reason. Really? What gives/earns someone to right to knock/slag off another fighter??? I'll tell you what! Getting in the ring/cage with them & knocking 7 shades of s%!t out of them or submitting them earns you that right. Sitting on your couch & watching it on TV or PC in the comfort of your own home couldn't be further than the reality/situation they're in.

People disliking fighters who fight "so called" safe!!!! No fight is safe. You can be caught at any second with a variety or combo's or moves. Why stick your neck out & risk everything? That's like driving around with no seat-belt on saying "Seat-belts are for pu$$y's, I'm the best driver & i'll never crash" Waking up from a coma a week later in hospital with your friend saying "Whoops, guess you didn't see that dumb learner pull out in front of you on that bend" No harm though, with a years rehab you might be able to chew your own food again. Well done though buddy, it was an exciting drive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Seen my first UFC on VHS actually. Bet you wish there was a sarcasm font :rolleyes:

Gowl... what a word. I know enough about Matt to be sure that he stands up for everything he believes in. Unlike most people in here. He tells it like it is & doesn't like ass kissers or wannabees. Using ridiculous so called chapter summaries posted by an obvious hater is not an interview or from Hughes's Autobiography.

The people in here don't slag of fighters for no reason. Really? What gives/earns someone to right to knock/slag off another fighter??? I'll tell you what! Getting in the ring/cage with them & knocking 7 shades of s%!t out of them or submitting them earns you that right. Sitting on your couch & watching it on TV or PC in the comfort of your own home couldn't be further than the reality/situation they're in.

People disliking fighters who fight "so called" safe!!!! No fight is safe. You can be caught at any second with a variety or combo's or moves. Why stick your neck out & risk everything? That's like driving around with no seat-belt on saying "Seat-belts are for pu$$y's, I'm the best driver & i'll never crash" Waking up from a coma a week later in hospital with your friend saying "Whoops, guess you didn't see that dumb learner pull out in front of you on that bend" No harm though, with a years rehab you might be able to chew your own food again. Well done though buddy, it was an exciting drive :D

What???

So all the people who post here are basically ass kissers and wannabes who dont believe what they say?

Basically you're saying the only people allowed to criticise Matt Hughes (for his behaviour outside the cage) are people like GSP and Penn because they've beaten him it it? Ok.

As for the last paragraph, I read it twice and still dont really get the point you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,162 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote:
    That's actually not that bad to be honest. They(always him and his twin brother) bring a college mate who's from the city to their farm to freak him out by doing the pig castrations.

When a sow gives birth they often roll over and kill a few piglets so there are dead ones on the floor. The two brothers start chasing the bloke throwing dead piglets and discarded pig testicles at him.........lovely
    Yeah that's not too bad tbh, had a feeling I would of remembered it more clearly if he was slittign open live pigs' bellys. Either way, it's not the chapter I refered to earlier.

To be fair, i very much liked Matt on TUF, and i liked the way he call Evans on showboating. I also like the way the two saw eye to eye by the end.

I don't dislike Matt, I just think that perfect attitude and good rolemodel is a bit much given the other options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ok you liked MMA before it was cool. Congratulations.

Get off your high horse.
    People can respect fighters without having to like them. And you don't have to like every fighter. A guy I know is a fantastic footballer, but he's still a fukn tool. I respect his skill but think the guy is an idiot.
    And the same can be said about any fighter.
    Anyway I don't think this thread was a fighter bashing one and it was running smoothly enough (with a few hiccups) until you made an issue out of nothing. The thread is being totally derailed now for no reason.

Ush1 wrote: »

When a sow gives birth they often roll over and kill a few piglets so there are dead ones on the floor. The two brothers start chasing the bloke throwing dead piglets and discarded pig testicles at him.........lovely.:)

Thanks for clearing it up.

I knew the summary given was a load of tripe but I couldn't exactly remember the real story.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Dean09 wrote: »

Get off your high horse.
    People can respect fighters without having to like them. And you don't have to like every fighter. A guy I know is a fantastic footballer, but he's still a fukn tool. I respect his skill but think the guy is an idiot.
    Anyway I don't think this thread was a fighter bashing one and it was running smoothly enough (with a few hiccups) until you made an issue out of nothing. The thread is being totally derailed now for no reason.

Just about to post something along these lines.
    Well said Dean09.

Missing the point as usual. Good man. I'm pretty sure people in here DON'T have the upmost respect for Hughes after reading that so called summary trash posted up by SanoVitae! I don't really care anymore but that was fighter bashing in my book.

Hmmm, I'm missing the point, am I? Did you actually read my post? I said that people are entitled to have an opinion about fighters whether they LIKE or DISLIKE them, they wouldn't be famous without the public so therefore they are entitled to have an opinion. If people draw the conclusion that they DISLIKE Hughes, that's their opinion and they are entitled to it. By having this opinion they are no more or less an MMA fan... Hence why i quoted:
    This seems to be a place for NON MMA fans to bitch about fighters.

Does that make sense or do I need to simplify it more?

Also, just to clarify, there is a difference between disliking a fighter and not having respect. I think anyone who watches MMA or trains in MMA has the upmost respect for a fighter but that doesn't necessarily mean that they like their attitude outside the ring, or their fight style etc.
    That's proper Sun reading traits right there. Believing everything you read. Whatever you do, don't buy the book & draw your own conclusion.

What is it with the Sun, is that your ultimate insult... you read the Sun, Na na na nana? I don't believe everything I read, I am old enough and educated enough to make my own decisions. I started a thread to ask people what professional fighters they like and dislike as I was interested in seeing what people would say but it won't have any sway on my personal feelings.
    Just google up a summary & throw it at somebody. Sit back & feel proud of yourself afterwards too..... then pretend not to realise it was complete trash.

Might want to explain that one to me; I didn't google anything and I definitely didn't google and paste... If I make a statement that's not a personal opinion I never google and paste, I will always make sure its verified and true if i haven't witnessed it myself.

Dean09 wrote: »

Get off your high horse.

Halleflippinlujah! Thank you Dean.

You can have an opinion about a fighter... it might be their attitude, their fight style... even their bloody dress sense if it annoys you, but that's not fighter bashing - people are entitled to their opinion. However, making unfounded allegations or insulting is fighter bashing.

I hope that we can get back on thread and if that's not possible can one of the Mods close it.

I hope that we can get back on thread and if that's not possible can one of the Mods close it.

Ok, I'll try redirect this thread by mentioning another fighter:

Anyone remember Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1?

Yuki Nakai certainly remembers him.....

SanoVitae wrote: »

Anyone remember Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1?

Yuki Nakai certainly remembers him.....

And thinking back to the early days, I've never liked Royce Gracie. No doubting the contribution of the Gracies to MMA but Royce was a dirty fighter IMO.

And thinking back to the early days, I've never liked Royce Gracie. No doubting the contribution of the Gracies to MMA but Royce was a dirty fighter IMO.

He didn't break any of the rules though, did he? He held a few of the submissions a bit too long though. The armlock on Jason Delucia comes to mind.

It was Jason Delucia though....:D

• Advertisement

Fair play SanoVitae
    SanoVitae wrote: »
    He didn't break any of the rules though, did he? He held a few of the submissions a bit too long though. The armlock on Jason Delucia comes to mind.

It was Jason Delucia though....:D

That's true and I did notice that whilst watching ultimate submissions. It was a different time though and I think the fighters were a lot more adrenaline fueled and scrappy so I can understand holding a sub as the fighters weren't as disciplined or versed as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Haha yeh I don't think you can hold too many grudges against the old school fighters for dirty tactics. You had guys like Keith Hackney and his groin strikes, after hearing Joe Son was convicted for rape, I really don't have much sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I really dislike Roy Nelson. His attitude is bloody disgraceful. Yes, the chap may be able to take a punch and can deliver the odd knockout blow, but for him to just waddle out in extremely bad shape while other fighters work their asses off to train extremely hard, it just seems like he's giving them a big "fúck you" to be honest.

I'm going to leave it at that since you want to get on & give out about certain fighters.

I'll leave it there & that's it. I'm not going to or trying to ruin your thread. You guys obviously don't see it from my point of view. I don't like to see fighters being called douches etc.

Bye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bye!

Bye, and don't post off topic here again please.

(your other off topic posts after post #109 have been deleted).

Oh, hi forum - you've a new moderator!.

Lads get on with the discussion, most of you are around here long enough to know that if you've a problem with a poster report it and move along with the discussion, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,162 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's true and I did notice that whilst watching ultimate submissions. It was a different time though and I think the fighters were a lot more adrenaline fueled and scrappy so I can understand holding a sub as the fighters weren't as disciplined or versed as they are now.
    The the main reason Royce held on as long as possible was due to the fact when he sub'd Ken Shamrock at UFC 1, Shamrock got up an tried to fight on. Since then Royce had sure it was clear the ref stopped it.

Jason Delucia sub had some background to it, but got great sportsmanship imo
    I'll leave it there & that's it. I'm not going to or trying to ruin your thread. You guys obviously don't see it from my point of view. I don't like to see fighters being called douches etc.
    Either do I. Abusing fighters for no reason is not an and against the forum rules.
    But if some has acting like a douce/prick/etc in the past I don't see the problem calling them on it, as long as you back up you point

Oh, and congrats Makikomi, rule with an iron fist imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I dont like Matt hughes either-why?

I did not like his Bible bashing on the ultimate fighter and when he made them all read a bit from the bible and say which character would be him i thought that was cringeworthy, as a fighter he was good for a period but the best Matt hughes would not hang with the well rounded UFC generation there now.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

cowzerp wrote: »
    I dont like Matt hughes either-why?

I did not like his Bible bashing on the ultimate fighter and when he made them all read a bit from the bible and say which character would be him i thought that was cringeworthy, as a fighter he was good for a period but the best Matt hughes would not hang with the well rounded UFC generation there now.

Didn't it end up he was the queen or something? or at least they thought he was the queen

Advertisement