Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional fighters you like/dislike the most...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

RoboRat wrote: »
    I got a few best of knockouts, submissions and highlights DVD's and whilst watching them I found that I really dislike Frank Trigg. He seems like a complete mouthpiece and was moaning at the ref when the fight was stopped and he was clearly out and not protecting himself.

I actually met Trigg last year when he was in Dublin.

I was in the Morgan in Temple Bar to meet some friends and arrived early. As I walked to the bar, I spotted Frank.

I've always been a big fan of Frank, mainly because I've never liked Matt Hughes and Trigg is his number 1 enemy! That's enough of a reason in itself for me to like him.

It was shortly after he lost to Serra and was dropped by the UFC. He was very, very cool - no ego whatsoever - we spoke for a while about his future plans. He said that his daughter really wanted him to stop fighting, whereas his son wanted him to continue. He's still fighting so I guess he listened more to what his son had to say!

Anyway, here's a pic of yours truly and the Triggmeister.

trigg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Anyway, here's a pic of yours truly and the Triggmeister.

Jeez man, get a new camera! That looks more like an artist's impression from court!

:D;)

Yeah I know - it was the camera I had on the last mobile phone I had. Just thought I'd share! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

unknown13 wrote: »
    Kenny Florian and GSP because they both annoy me by talking a load of búllshít continually.

I hate fighters with a big mouth.

Threads like this are pointless. People simply choose fighters at random to dislike then justify their belief by claiming the fighters have a "big mouth" while being unable to refer to a single example.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Threads like this are pointless. People simply choose fighters at random to dislike then justify their belief by claiming the fighters have a "big mouth" while being unable to refer to a single example.

Got to agree, GSP and Florian must be 2 of the most humble guys around, can't say I've ever heard either of them talk crap, even to hype a fight. Unless you count Kenny's "I finish fights at 155" speech as a dig at Sherk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I can only thing of one GSP thing he's said that annoyed me and it was when he doesn't believe in strength and conditioning, he's never hit tires with sledgehammers etc, he only does weights because he is the champion and has to be marketable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I can only thing of one GSP thing he's said that annoyed me and it was when he doesn't believe in strength and conditioning, he's never hit tires with sledgehammers etc, he only does weights because he is the champion and has to be marketable.

Yeah, pity he never said that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah, pity he never said that though.

GSP: " I dont believe in strength and conditioning, i lift weights for looks"
    Posted By bluntsandbeers UFC News

Georges St. Pierre is one of the most atheletic and well conditioned athelets in the sport. But he doesn't think it helps him in any of his fights. According to GSP strength and conditioning training is not necessary if you want to excell in MMA, but it's necessary if you want to look attractive. he had the following to say on the matter in a intreview with UFC commentator and MMA junkie, Joe Rogan.

Georges St. Pierre: "I don't believe in strength and conditioning. I never do strength and conditioning. I do not believe that running on a treadmill or doing I don't know what, so called machine. I don't believe that's going to help you have better cardio for a fight. I think everything in fighting is about efficiency."

Joe Rogan: "So you don't do strength and conditioning as far as like hitting tires with sledgehammers?"

GSP: "I never did it in my life. I remember I had a Muay Thai instructor from France, that I even brought on the reality show The Ultimate Fighter. The guy smoked, I don't know how many packs of cigarettes a day. He's always drinking alcohol. He's a real character, and he's completely out of shape, but when he spars with us in Muay Thai, he kicks everyone's ass. The reason is because he is more efficient than we are."

"In the UFC, I do believe everyone is in shape. We're all athletes, you know... but the reason I believe a guy is more tired than another guy, is because one guy is more efficient than the other. One guy is able to bring the fight to where he is strongest, and the other guy to where he is out of his comfort zone."

"The only reason it is good to lift weights, to do bench press, and stuff like that, I believe, is because it is going to make me more marketable, and to keep myself looking more symmetric, with a better image... Which is very important, because if you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you do good. There's nothing wrong with that you know."

Rogan: "You lift weights for looks?"

GSP: "Yeah, I lift weights for looks. Yeah, I am gonna admit it. Sometimes after I'm training, I'm gonna lift weights, but I'm not doing it because I'm gonna punch harder, or I'm gonna be stronger, because it has nothing to do with it. I'm doing it because you know, I want to to be like you know, have a good shape. I do it for myself."

http://lowkick.blitzcorner.com/UFC/GSP-I-dont-believe-in-strength-and-conditioning-i-lift-weights-for-looks-11160

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Matt Serra - Comedy alone, the guy is hilarious and i love when he takes over Dana's video blogs on a fight week.

Really got to like him from the time he was on TUF and his video blogs are class.We need more Serra!!!
    Junior Dos Santos just seems like a really nice bloke outside the cage but inside a different beast.Love the whole point at the center of the ring he does.Dos Santos for champ!
    Anderson Silva just cause of his skills plus after the ending to the sonnen fight I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I'd say my three favourites are GSP, Mir and Nog.

I dislike Kenny Florian (don't mind him personally just dont like his fighting style), Matt Hughes (reminds me of a typical American high school bully), BJ (attitude) and Rampage (for reasons already previously stated in this thread).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Sad to see people in here disrespecting the athletes who put their asses on the line in the cage/ring/octagon for our viewing pleasure. (They're hardly payed fortunes compared to the salaries of most other sporting athletes)

I don't dislike any fighter because I've infinite respect for all of them. Some are over rated & some are under rated but I'm not going to get in to that now.

There should have been beter guidelines at the start of this thread.

It's ok to express your dislike or disgust for specific behavior in the cage. You try keeping your cool when someone has been trying to take your head off!

Think about it. Some of the best finishes I've seen are by guys who smell the finish or have been pushed in to survival mode (Watch some of Wanderei Silvas finishes). This is when the inner animal coming out & survival becomes no.1 on your mind.

Bisping seems to come up a lot for the spitting & general disrespect. I'll agree the guy is out of order for doing what he did but you can't deny he's got great skills & is improving all the time. I enjoy watching him fight. However, he wouldn't be on my top 500 list of MMA Fighters I'd love to sit & chat with.... but that's irrelevant, He's a good fighter & I respect that.

The same principles can be applied across all sports. We see Premiership players potting the pink in every pocket where ever they go. Their character is assassinated on a daily basis in the tabloids. Come match day when they assist in several goal attempts or score themselves, defend brilliantly while sticking in a few nastly "so called professional tackles" all is forgotten & the fans still love them. When the player leaves the club, he becomes the worst player/person ever. Sports personalities or athletes just can't win.

barochoc wrote: »
    Sad to see people in here disrespecting the athletes who put their asses on the line in the cage/ring/octagon for our viewing pleasure. (They're hardly payed fortunes compared to the salaries of most other sporting athletes)

If people on this thread were disrespecting the abilities of various MMA fighters (e.g. saying they could easily beat them in a fight), then you'd have a point. But that's not what this thread is about.

Matt Hughes is the only fighter I dislike and he's a model professional when he's fighting.

It's when he's not fighting that he tends to say and do all the stuff that makes me dislike him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

I hate Brock Lesnar... apart form his athletic size... (I hate to break it to some folks, and I'm sure some will jump down my throat)... but he is really not that good.

He is Donky Kong-esque.

If people on this thread were disrespecting the abilities of various MMA fighters (e.g. saying they could easily beat them in a fight), then you'd have a point. But that's not what this thread is about.

If anyone in here said they could easily beat any professional MMA fighter in UFC/Pride/StrikeForce I'd pi$$ myself. That wouldn't be disrespecting the fighter. I'd probably go so far as to say it's disrespectful to the boardsies in here as it's an insult to their intelligence!

I can't believe some of the comments in here though. None of the fighters are trying to win anyones admiration outside the ring. Trash talk has long been the fuel & build up to many fights especially boxing. Ali spent more time trash talking than fighting & almost everybody loved him. You can't please everybody though.

Matt Hughes is a great role model for any young kid getting in to the sport. He might not be the best MMA fighter alive but he certainly dominated 170lbs in UFC for a long time. I think he has a great attitude too & is generally very respectful of his opponents.

I've got tonnes of respect for Tito Ortiz. People call him a mouth, but that's the mouth that got a lot of guys to stand up & demand better conditions & money for fighters. He's done a lot for MMA & isn't afraid to speak his mind. People generally don't like to hear the truth. This makes you unpopular. I don't think he cares anyway because he's still one of the most popular fighters in MMA today & was the biggest draw for years! That's something to be proud of!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Matt Hughes is a great role model for any young kid getting in to the sport. He might not be the best MMA fighter alive but he certainly dominated 170lbs in UFC for a long time. I think he has a great attitude too & is generally very respectful of his opponents.

Have you read his autobiography? Any thoughts i had that he may have been a nice guy went right outta the window after i read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Big Fan of:

Shogun
    GSP
    Cain

Just a few that quickly come to mind, all for pretty much the same reasons, they seem humble and genuine people....as much as they can from the limited time you see them.

Kinda in the middle with people like Silva, Rampage etc, they seem to be more about playing characters than actually genuine being themselves but if you accept them as that then they are enjoyable as characters.

Was a big fa of Forrest from the Ultimate Fighter but after the Silva fight I kinda got sick of him and his attitude/ bad losing....got his first book recently though and am starting to remember why I liked him in the first place.

Guys I dislike are:

Rashad
    Tito
    Brock
    BJ

and Nick Diaz holds a special place above all of them.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Have you read his autobiography? Any thoughts i had that he may have been a nice guy went right outta the window after i read it.

Did I say he was a nice guy? :confused: As an athlete, a competitor, he's phenomenal. Just take a look at his record. It speaks for itself. I don't care what he says or does off camera or outside the UFC. His personal life is nothing to do with me.

These guys all believe they're the best. They have to or they'll have no career! When you hear someone say they're going to beat you in a match it's only natural to express yourself & give reasons why you're going to beat the challenger! Rivalry makes the sport. If they all got on like best buddies it would be boring. Good guys v villains sells, not best buddy match ups!

Oh, have I read his autobiography? No! Will I? May be, I'm busy reading more interesting books but I might get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate Brock Lesnar... apart form his athletic size... (I hate to break it to some folks, and I'm sure some will jump down my throat)... but he is really not that good.

He is Donky Kong-esque.
    Sorry, maybe I'm missing something. But what has his ability got to do with him as a person?
    Do you hate all the lower ranked guys who will prob never make it to the top. What about guys who sompete in smaller divisions, there's some guys here who fight and haven't (yet) made it to the world title level, do you hate them too?

Having an opinion that he is not very good is fine.
    It's a little childish to hate him for it.
    Did I say he was a nice guy? :confused: As an athlete, a competitor, he's phenomenal. Just take a look at his record. It speaks for itself. I don't care what he says or does off camera or outside the UFC. His personal life is nothing to do with me.
    Well, what you said was;

If you read his book, and has a inside look at his attitude I'd say you change your opinion of being a great role model for your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »

If you read his book, and has a inside look at his attitude I'd say you change your opinion of being a great role model for your kids.

You beat me to it, he couldn't be a worse role model after reading some of the stuff in his book

• Advertisement

Not talking about my kids. I said young kids getting in to the sport. So your take on Hughes after reading his book is, "he's not a nice guy". Fine! Doesn't make one bit of difference to the athlete that I see. The guy is a legend. I find that people generally don't like dominant champions as they dislike the cockiness that comes across with the title.

I haven't read the book yet but from what I'm seeing, Matt Hughes has possibly been brutally honest & therefore showing you the real person. Makes me like him even more. Can't wait to see him fight Sanchez. Two great fighters & both cardio animals. Love both of them ;)

Not talking about my kids. I said young kids getting in to the sport. So your take on Hughes after reading his book is, "he's not a nice guy". Fine! Doesn't make one bit of difference to the athlete that I see. The guy is a legend. I find that people generally don't like dominant champions as they dislike the cockiness that comes across with the title.

I haven't read the book yet but from what I'm seeing, Matt Hughes has possibly been brutally honest & therefore showing you the real person. Makes me like him even more. Can't wait to see him fight Sanchez. Two great fighters & both cardio animals. Love both of them ;)
    What a ridiclous post.

Him being a legend has nothign to do with being a good role model.

GSP is a dominant cxhampion, and isn't in anyway cocky. Would prob be my pic for best role model in terms of attitude. Example: Not rising to Koschek during TUF.

He talked about being basically a bully. Not a good trait imo, especially from somebody who was likely physically dominant. Being honest means nothing. If a murderer comes clean at trial, does that make him a good person because he was honest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

AS it's all false! i say macho man randy savage.;)

Yes thats a wink!!! short fuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

robertxxx wrote: »
    AS it's all false! i say macho man randy savage.;)

Too soon man, too soon!

I haven't read the book yet but from what I'm seeing, Matt Hughes has possibly been brutally honest & therefore showing you the real person. Makes me like him even more.

If you do buy his book, have fun reading Chapter 4. You'll probably end up liking him even more.

Here's a quick summary:
    Matt cheats his way through college getting A's in classes he proudly says he never attended. He and the other wrestlers bully everybody at Lincoln Junior College, and break a bunch of ****. They tip over people's cars, and flood the dorms on purpose. We reach a new low, when he also makes light of the fact that one of his college buddies could not read or write. He then takes time to bash Frank Trigg, saying that he "never became anything."

Later it gets even more disturbing when he describes mutilating a live baby piglet by cutting off it's testicles, and throwing them at a friend. For good measure he slits it's stomach open as it screams wildly to "freak his friend out." After he and Mark brutally torture and kill a dozen or so baby pigs, solely for entertainment, they starts throwing their testicles and body parts at each other. Matt even now still seems amused because his friend looked like he was going to vomit.

A family member shoots himself over a girl, and Matt skips the funeral decided to go to a wrestling meet instead. After getting drunk one night they take a bunch of girls "swimming" in some sort of pond/rain water/sewer runoff. There is a whirlpool that's formed in the sewage pond, and Matt and 2 other drunk college kids get caught in the current. Matt pulls himself out but the 2 other kids drowned. He talks about how God saved him.(apparently God hated the other 2 drunk college kids)

Yep. Great role model, great attitude too & generally very respectful........

Here's a quick summary:

Yep. Great role model, great attitude too & generally very respectful........

You say that was "originally posted by Matt Hughes" and then post a biased and BS summary of the chapter? I've read the book and while Hughes does come over as a typical high school arrogant git, that summary is complete crap.

"Mutilating live piglets"? Nobody on boards from a farm? Never seen your Dad castrating lambs etc? I don't remember anything in the book about slitting stomachs open.

Not leaping to Hughes defence for the sake of it, but that summary is worse BS than anything in the book itself. Deliberate sensationalist crap.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    "Mutilating live piglets"? Nobody on boards from a farm? Never seen your Dad castrating lambs etc? I don't remember anything in the book about slitting stomachs open.

There's nothing wrong with castrating animals if its for a purpose. But doing it for the craic is a bit much, I don't see the point in doing it if you are killing them afterwards.
    Ditto for slitting stomach open.

I suppose we'll have to directly link to chapter 4 to see what actually is said as I can't remember specifically either

What a ridiclous post.

Him being a legend has nothign to do with being a good role model.

GSP is a dominant cxhampion, and isn't in anyway cocky. Would prob be my pic for best role model in terms of attitude. Example: Not rising to Koschek during TUF.

He talked about being basically a bully. Not a good trait imo, especially from somebody who was likely physically dominant. Being honest means nothing. If a murderer comes clean at trial, does that make him a good person because he was honest :rolleyes:

A ridiculous post. Really? Being an MMA legend & the commitment he showed while getting there is a great example to any aspiring fighter. I'm not interested in his private life. You guys are jumping all over the bull you've swallowed & are loving it.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.......

Make any sense?

I'm far from religious by the way. But this generally applies 99.999999999% of the time when people are judging others.

If you do buy his book, have fun reading Chapter 4. You'll probably end up liking him even more.

Something tells me you've never read this book. Quoting a summary by "CroCopFan005" on the Sherdog forum was a lame way of trying to prove you did.

Do me a favour, actually do yourself a favour. Read through that forum & watch "CroCopFan005" get ripped to shreds by other posters who quote him & quote the actual book. He's either dyslexic or has multiple personalities. His summary appears to be complete trash & twisting the truth.

He's obviously not a Hughes fan :D

Here's a reply from "Natman2939":
    "So you just ignored the fact that Matt talks about his father being extremely emotionally abusive to the family and that they tried family counseling before they attacked him (which was more of a "we've had enough of this abuse" moment than a "you don't tell me what to do" moment like you're making it out to be)

I don't feel like reading your whole post but I'm guessing if you got that wrong, you got a lot of other stuff wrong."

Another by "Off"
    "I've read the book and while many of the things in that "summary" were in the book, they were in a much different context and many of them never happened. As Natman said you either misread or are flat out lying."

I'll leave it with another from "Natman2939"
    This is your summary of what happens at the end of Chapter 15:

Matt claims to have jumped on top of his wife while she was laying in the hospital bed recovering, and she forcefully pushed him off. He fell backward and hit his head on a table, and was momentarily dazed, almost knocked out. What is it with surgery and sex with this guy?

This is what the book says:

"I turned away from Audra and put my hands on the counter. Something's not right with me,I thought. I fell onto my wife and she pushed me off of her. Then I fell backward and heard a crash as I slammed into the rolling table with all the tools. I felt Dr. McFarland pull me up off the ground, but as I looked at him I had no idea who he was or what was happening."

How the f%$k....did you read that and extrapalate that he was trying to have sex with her? He passed out! The doctor was in the room trying to help her and he passed out.

Wow....

Maybe that book's too hard for you. Try Cat in the Hat.

Seriously!!!!! Do I need to continue? We can all use google but try engage your brain before you post garbage like this & try to pass it off as the truth.

I'm still a Hughes fan :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

A ridiculous post. Really? Being an MMA legend & the commitment he showed while getting there is a great example to any aspiring fighter. I'm not interested in his private life. You guys are jumping all over the bull you've swallowed & are loving it.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.......

Make any sense?

I'm far from religious by the way. But this generally applies 99.999999999% of the time when people are judging others.

All fighters show great commitment, even amateurs. That is irrelevant. This thread is about fighters you like/dislike. You're trying to suggest that his personal characteristics should not be taken into account when determining whether you like or dislike him. As none of us know him personally we can only go by information that is in the public domain, and that information suggests that he's a bit of a gowl. You dont think this he is one, fair enough, but dont try to convince others when you know no more (probably less actually) than the rest of us.

Advertisement