Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The second Rogan centralised his podcast with Spotify was the second the podcast died in the form we all know it. He will be censored now for good and will be extra careful with his guests and words.

Has no one to blame but himself but he’s probably wiping his tears with the 100 million he got out of it.

Pathetic attempt to cancel him all the same, with he wasn’t coming out apologising. If he wasn’t on Spotify he wouldn’t be apologising.

They deleted the one with Gavin McInnes which is the funniest one ever. McInnes is the most misrepresented guy in the US. Totally hilarious but portrayed the same as Richard Spencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Hmm, I fully expect Spotify has removed a lot of rap songs over night. I must check this morning as there are 100's of songs on there using that word. Interesting as it will mean a lot of rap music will be removed. I mean, for them to take this position must mean it's now company policy to not allow the use of that word on their platform.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I think the problem is that when you create different rules for people based on skin colour it sets a dangerous precedent and nobody knows where that path leads to. The n-word is horrible but either everyone gets to use it or nobody gets to use it. Also, intent matters. If I call a black person the n-word, is that equally offensive as if I was rapping along to an NWA song? Who gets to judge that?

I think finance is the cart rather than the horse. Finance is the latest sector to be infected with this woke disease. But the root of it all is university social sciences in the US about 30 or 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is an interesting approach. There's a thread in AH which asks if the Internet has made people stupid. One of the main points coming from that thread is thst it amplifies bad information and lots of people can't tell the difference between good information and bad information. That's what people end up thinking that "doing your research" means finding a Facebook or twitter post, or a podcaster, which agrees with your bias.

You can be reductive and say he's just an MMA commentator (and you'd be correct), but that overlooks the size of his audience.

In other words, when Joe Rogan sneezes, a whole lot of people get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Watched it now and I don’t think he should have used it.

He didn’t have to say it and he wasn’t quoting anyone.

Saying that, those were different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The root cause of a lot of wokeism is capitalism. Capitalism has a lot of advantages but the capitalism and earlier mercantilism on which our society was created has paved for an an unfair playing field and in an the era of mass information and communication has given people enough impetus to question all aspects of our culture that were part of the status quo. There was and is enough wrong with society for people to question everything but what does the alternative look like?

What does a world look like without absolutely morality and truths and a guiding hand to Foster our spirituality? This is the world of rationalism that Dawkins and Co aspired to and here we are. Its like an experiment that has backfired. Dawkins and Co. assume people are like them when in actual fact most people are deeply emotional, tribal and irrational. These same people are now drowning in a sea of nothingness with no lessons or wisdom to impart on the future generations. It wiill only deteriorate more btw in my opinion.

Anyway whatever about that slippery slope argument, it is actually a shitshow. I see the Rock backpeddled on his support and now people are sharing him mocking the Chinese accent from some Raw back in 1999. Funnily it's the people against wokeism who are exposing his hypocrisy by trying to cancel him hahah. The whole thing is nuts.

The best meme I've seen about all this is that a guy who believes in conspiracies and talks about psychedelics is threatening the establishment because that's what Rogan ultimate is. He gets interesting interviewees but I'd never call him a great journalist.

Post edited by completedit on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Funny how people so desperate to say a certain word still won't say it. Literally giving in to exactly what you think is a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Getting payed one hundred million dollars to be canceled is a pretty good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

He has been criticised before for his comments about women. I dont think it is anything new.

I think I read about the guest Stand Up Comedian coercing women into oral sex a couple of years back and your man lapping it up and clapping. Thought it was ignorant at the time, but assumed he was just a shock jock and Trump supporter.

Only realised its the same fella in the last week or so.

Post edited by anewme on

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

It’s all very funny to Cienciano.

The latest argument appears to be that those who are supposedly desperate to say the n-word in full, a word that I presume would be automatically censored by the site and may even get one banned, are also complicit in the censorship.

Just because it's a new form of media, doesn't make it a good. If all the broadsheets we have were replaced by tabloids, would that be good? Now you're suggesting all the journalists we have could be replaced by people without any journalism or ethical standards. He's just a guy with a microphone.

Maybe we should save ourselves some money and, instead of going to a surgeon, we should go to a guy with a scalpel. I stead of going to an architect to design your house, you should go to a guy with a sketchpad.

You're literally mixing up entertainment with information. The whole problem is that journalism had become too mixed up with entertainment. Watch a few minutes of American news to see how far they've taken it. Its like watching a Twitter with debate with graphics and moving coloured backgrounds. Now you're suggesting cutting out the pretense of journalism and going straight for the entertainment.

I prefer to keep news and entertainment separate. Gaining information is boring sometime. The payoff is having the information not the entertainment of gaining to it.

What, you don't think you could learn to operate from the internet? Maybe you could, but i wouldn't trust the surgeon who says they learned to operate in the internet. But then why do you trust Pubman Joe Rogan with he information he's giving you? Sure, information is everywhere - good information and bad information and lots of people can't tell the difference between the two. It also appears that lots of people can't tell the difference between information and entertainment.

I'll refer to the thread in AH which asks if the internet has made people stupid. The internet has made good and bad information more available to everyone and lots of people can't tell the difference. It's interesting that so many people got the point that bad information on the internet makes people less informed while making them think they're more informed. But in the Joe Rogan thread, his supporters don't seem to see the exact same thing happening. He's turned pretending to inform people into an entertainment. Some of his information is good and some is bad - about what you'd expect from your average fella down the pub except he talks to millions of people at a time. But given the audience he has and the human tendency to revere people with status, of course he can be a dangerous guy.

Edit: the important point that your post totally ignores is that we don't need middlemen to get information because it's so available on the internet, but lots of people are very poor at telling the difference between good information and bad information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Not canceled but he is experiencing part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It is funny to me. I'm fine without being able to say the n-word. But a few people seem to be really upset about it. Guess what? Society changes constantly, it'll never stop changing. If you want it to stop, forget about it. You can either move along with it or get angry pretending not being able to say the n-word is having a major effect on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's no point in trying to write the word on this site as their filter just blocks it. Plus, I've no interest in using that word myself. I just don't get my knickers in a twist at what other people do. But sure if it makes you feel better, South Park did a better job than most at it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It seems like people don't even have much of an issue with the word..it's just an easy way to feel morally superior and enact retribution based on their exalted position..

It's just been weaponised..

The reference to misinformation and covid related deaths are just empirically wrong. What you’re referring to is something that was observed in data, came up with a hypothesis afterwards and then claim that the hypothesis preceded the collection of data. That is invalid and not a scientific test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wonder will Spotify try and cut Joe loose?

If that were to happen, Joe could easily go out on his own(offer a similar payment structure like Sam Harris'), he draws a bigger audience than most TV shows/programmes anywhere in the world

Yeah I've missed all the points.

Joe Rogan is a big mix of information and garbage and one bloke's opinion. But he has a huge audience and loads of those people think he's on the ball. That's an issue particularly when people mistake information with entertainment, as you've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I didn't think McInnes, is misrepresented. I remember Joe saying later that Gavin had misrepresented in their interview what the proud boys stood for. He is funny , like alex Jones but both massage their messages somewhat when they are in the podcast to make it seem more benign.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sure why would he bother having to that? He could just go back to the way he was doing it long before Spotify.

Democrat linked superpac behind it all apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Fair enough they seem to have done some research but not sure about their reason for the attack that Joe Rogan steals their audience. I would think the most popular guests Joe has on our right wing commentators like Peterson, Jones, Owens, and Shapiro who would never be on a left wing podcast.

That's a good conspiracy theory. I can see you've done your "research" by finding something on twitter that agrees with your bias. Do you have any Facebook links to similar "research"?

Lads, this is precisely why the likes of Rogan are a potential hazard to the world. People can't tell the difference between a conspiracy theory and real knowledge. Conspiracy theories are fun and so are some of JR's podcasts. But let's not mistake them for knowledge. Eh?

Ah come off it. Ill be disappointed if you have nothing better than "I know you are, but what am I?"

A poster has literally posted a conspiracy theory and the next poster complimented their "research". This is precisely what I'm talking about. Mistaking entertainment for knowledge, and you call me stupid?

Sometimes parody isn't possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"a potential hazard to the world".

Well holy moly. That's some take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement