Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

hots wrote: »
    you must agree he has a responsibility to his listeners at some point? Spouting hate wouldn't be ok?

Whataboutery!

Joe Rogan isn't an elected official. He's a podcast host.

He has a responsibility to nobody.

Sometimes he says stupid stuff, sometimes he doesn't. When he says stupid stuff, sometimes he back tracks. Sometimes he doesn't.

If you put your opinions up against his, sometimes his will agree with yours. Sometimes they won't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

you must agree he has a responsibility to his listeners at some point? Spouting hate wouldn't be ok?

I don't think they have "Hate Speech" crimes in the US (1st amendment and all that) but you can and will be de-platformed for such things and more (Trump, Alex Jones).

If Rogan was spouting hate he'd be soon whipped off a platform and rightly so. That would be a system working where laws fail and Joe works in that system.

My point is that you can't force personal responsibility on someone. They either have it in them or they don't.
    In the case of broadcasting the responsibility of output is down to the platform and the laws of the country.

This present discussion here stems from Joe saying something brief and banal mid conversation where he says he wouldn't recommend a 20 year old to get the vaccine to protect himself from the virus.
    Something really quite innocuous gets blown way out of proportion and I've noticed over the years that things JR say get misconstrued, taken out of context and simply lied about and there's often a big pile-on on-line.

I've listened to few JRE shows, I might put one on for a long journey as it saves fiddling about when traveling, but I've never heard him come out with anything even familiar to hate speech. He wouldn't have the platforms he does if he did.

That's the responsibility one expects of the Platforms and Laws.
    You can only hope presenters share that responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Never hear Joe Rogan spouting hate once, he is one of the very few who offers a platform to people from both sides or the ideological spectrum, often trying to find a ground in the middle where both sides can have an conversation

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Never hear Joe Rogan spouting hate once, he is one of the very few who offers a platform to people from both sides or the ideological spectrum, often trying to find a ground in the middle where both sides can have an conversation

This "hate speech" stuff is whataboutery and nothing more.

Say what you want about Joe, but he and his show have always been fair and balanced. On what other show will someone invite on Milo Yannappolis for a 3 hour chat, and then invite on Bernie Sanders for the same?

Joe gets sh*t for giving people a "platform", which is a weak argument made by people who only want their point of view to be gotten across.

There's a lot to be said for allowing people to espouse their ideas and allowing the population to make up their own minds.

In my opinion, Milo is an idiot and a massive troll. Does this mean Joe shouldn't have him on his show? Of course not. If you don't like Milo, just don't listen to that episode and wait for someone you like to be on. The same can be said for any of his guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't get the hate for Joe ,

The show can be brilliant or really bad but that depends on the guest ,

Joe seems is very self aware most of the time , and you will often say don't take my word I'm in idiot

Someone once asked me if I'm a JRE fan, to me it was a stupid question it's like asking are you a Netflix fan ,some of its great some of its god awful

Some of his guest won't get a second of my time but some are brilliant & often unexpectedly so , like Daryl Davis i really enjoyed that one and had never heard of him ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Whataboutery!

oh absolutely, but we all have a responsibility to take care of what we say or deal with the consequences?

To be clear I wasn't accusing him of hate speech (obviously, someone must have some struggles with reading comprehension if they thought that), it's just the most extreme example I could think of... no matter how 'dumb' you say you are, you still have to consider what you say and understand the impact it can have.

This "hate speech" stuff is whataboutery and nothing more.

Say what you want about Joe, but he and his show have always been fair and balanced. On what other show will someone invite on Milo Yannappolis for a 3 hour chat, and then invite on Bernie Sanders for the same?

Joe gets sh*t for giving people a "platform", which is a weak argument made by people who only want their point of view to be gotten across.

There's a lot to be said for allowing people to espouse their ideas and allowing the population to make up their own minds.

In my opinion, Milo is an idiot and a massive troll. Does this mean Joe shouldn't have him on his show? Of course not. If you don't like Milo, just don't listen to that episode and wait for someone you like to be on. The same can be said for any of his guests.

Different argument altogether, I agree, the best thing about the show was that he had people from all over the shop on for long form discussion, my only point was that he can't hide away from the reaction to things he says under the guise of "I'm not smart". I would have said the milo episodes and era were actually some of the best tbh.

I don't get the hate for Joe ,

It's all down to people trying to push their own politics.

His show is one of the best around. Of course you won't agree with everything he says, but I don't agree with everything my mates say either, or my family members, and we can get along just fine. It's called life.
    oh absolutely, but we all have a responsibility to take care of what we say or deal with the consequences?

Then you worry about yours.

I am a young healthy (relatively) man who, if I caught Covid, wouldn't have to worry about being hospitalised with it. From that perspective, I don't need to take the vaccine. Just like I choose not to take the flu vaccine. It leaves me open to being able to catch flu, but that doesn't bother me personally. I can live with that. From a personal stand point, I don't need to take the Covid vaccine and I don't have to.

I will take it when I have the opportunity however. I feel it's my social responsibility to take it and to stop the spread, as this virus is very dangerous to certain cohorts of the population. I trust the science and I trust the vaccine.

Nothing that Rogan said was anti-vax. At the end of the day, people have the choice whether to get vaccinated or not. He said that young healthy people might not need it........ for the most part he's right.

When it was put to him that it would be needed to stop the spread, he said that it made sense.

I'm not sure what he said was actually wrong. Unless there's something i've missed?

Well you'd hope that people go along with that as best they can. It makes for a better society.

But personal responsibility is acquired not bestowed.

glasso wrote: »
    The JRE has a not inconsiderable simp audience who actually do take his frequent brain-dump musings to heart

What did he say exactly?

Form what I read he said that, if you're a young healthy person, you don't need to take it. But the idea that you should take it to stop the spread makes sense.

Is this correct? If so, I don't see too much wrong with it.

• Advertisement

What did he say exactly?

Form what I read he said that, if you're a young healthy person, you don't need to take it. But the idea that you should take it to stop the spread makes sense.

Is this correct? If so, I don't see too much wrong with it.

it's all in the linked article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/03/joe-rogan-told-his-millions-listeners-not-take-his-anti-vaccine-advice-seriously-is-it-too-late/

literally only a 2 minute read

free to read

Why do people who take against JRE (for whatever reason) often have a pop at his audience being top heavy in morons? Is there evedence of this somewhere because it gets trotted out a lot.

How would he have a dimmer audience than say- Richard Herring or Adam Buxton and how is it measured and by who?

Thanks. I've read it and it agrees with what I said.

What is your problem with what he said exactly?

humberklog wrote: »
    Why do people who take against JRE (for whatever reason) often have a pop at his audience being top heavy in morons? Is there evedence of this somewhere because it gets trotted out a lot.

There is absolutely no evidence of this.

It's mostly based on a condescending attitude spouted by the accuser.

They imagine his listenership is some sort of underground army of incels who hang on every word Joe says.

His listenership is actually anyone sitting, working from home, and wants to have a three hour Neil DeGrasse Tyson interview on in the background, or learn about the importance of sleep from Matthew Walker etc.

Thanks. I've read it and it agrees with what I said.

What is your problem with what he said exactly?

That he needs to be more cognisant of what he says on issues like this which could have negative effects out in the world, as the article itself has looked at with the survey data on this issue

as the WP article says
    Why care what Joe Rogan says?

Rogan is not a niche YouTuber with a fringe audience. He is a podcasting juggernaut. His podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience,” is the most popular podcast on Spotify, itself one of the most popular audio platforms available. With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, Rogan reaches nearly four times as many people as prime-time cable hosts such as Sean Hannity of Fox News Channel and Rachel Maddow of MSNBC. He’s especially popular among young, mostly White male listeners and has been credited with launching Andrew Yang’s political career.

It’s possible that few Rogan listeners plan to act on his medical advice. But for the past year, we have been polling demographically representative samples of Americans about various topics, including their willingness to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Our data suggests that Rogan’s comments have an influence.

any podcast with 11 million listeners is going to have at least a couple of million of gullible morons, with the popular nature of the podcast itself and the audience, not just the pure listenership numbers.

humberklog wrote: »

How would he have a dimmer audience than say- Richard Herring or Adam Buxton and how is it measured and by who?

Does anyone say that? About a year ago those 3 would have been my top 3 podcasts :o I would have guess the audience overlaps a lot for those 3 if you were to look at UK/Ire listeners?

That he needs to be more cognisant of what he says on issues like this which could have negative effects out in the world, as the article itself has looked at with the survey data on this issue

But wait......... are you saying that what he said is an unreasonable standpoint to you?

Forget what an opinion from an article that you didn't write said. What is your opinion? Or do you just piggy-back on the opinions from all the articles you read?
    any podcast with 11 million listeners is going to have at least a couple of million of gullible morons, with the popular nature of his podcast and audience, not just the pure listenership numbers.

That's a hell of a turnaround from what you said on the previous page about him having a "not inconsiderable simp audience" which is complete hogwash. Did you take that from the Washington Post as well?

Does anyone say that?

It was said on the last page
    The JRE has a not inconsiderable simp audience who actually do take his frequent brain-dump musings to heart

Then you worry about yours.

ok?
    I am a young healthy (relatively) man who, if I caught Covid, wouldn't have to worry about being hospitalised with it. From that perspective, I don't need to take the vaccine. Just like I choose not to take the flu vaccine. It leaves me open to being able to catch flu, but that doesn't bother me personally. I can live with that. From a personal stand point, I don't need to take the Covid vaccine and I don't have to.

Ah

A couple of million out of 11 million is less than 20%,

That's not a huge percentage

But it's still a considerable number in absolute terms.

So his brain-fart pseudo-science stuff on serious issues that he has absolutely zero expertise in can have ramifications out in the real world.

As has been shown.

The very fact that the stuff that he said actually influenced the issue in the survey data in a statistically significant way proves that at least some of his audience are indeed gullible morons.

• Advertisement

It was said on the last page

oh fair enough, I don't agree with that anyway, I can't imagine he's got any more gob****es listening than anyone else really.

So his brain-fart pseudo-science stuff on serious issues that he has absolutely zero expertise in can have ramifications out in the real world.

But where's your opinion in all this?

Are you saying that what he said: that a young healthy person doesn't need the vaccine but it makes sense that they should take it to stop the spread, is an unreasonable position?

Ah

Glad we agree

oh fair enough, I don't agree with that anyway, I can't imagine he's got any more gob****es listening than anyone else really.

Yeah, it's odd. I threw out Herring and Buxton as they're both comedians doing interview podcasts and I listen to them too. But over on Twitter (or here) you'd never see their audience when being called "Morons" or "Simps" if they are trending (not as often as JRE in fairness!) which does happen a lot with Rogan's listeners.

In fact I don't think I've seen any other thread on Boards Podcast section where their audience are called morons or even a disingenuous hedging of that by saying 20% are probably morons.
    It just never comes up, except for JRE.

But where's your opinion in all this?

Are you saying that what he said: that a young healthy person doesn't need the vaccine but it makes sense that they should take it to stop the spread, is an unreasonable position?

that was his revised opinion, after actual experts in the realm of public health pointed out that what he originally said was dangerous to public health because it could reduce the Covid immunity in the population and hence increase the spread of Covid

I would take my lead from scientific experts on issues of public health to do with Covid because I'm no more of an expert on the subject than Joe Rogan is!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some of his guest won't get a second of my time but some are brilliant & often unexpectedly so , like Daryl Davis i really enjoyed that one and had never heard of him ,

That was a really good one...and led me onto one that was referenced in it - with Megan Phelps-Roper who had been in the Westboro Baptist Church - which was a good listen as well

that was his revised opinion, after actual experts in the realm of public health pointed out that what he originally said was dangerous to public health because it could reduce the Covid immunity in the population and hence the spread of Covid

I would take my lead from scientific experts on issues of public health to do with Covid because I'm no more of an expert on the subject than Joe Rogan is!

I notice you still haven't given an opinion yourself though.

Snide comments about 20% of his listenership being morons, and putting forward the opinions of a newspaper as gospel....... but nothing of your own.

That was a really good one...and led me onto one that was referenced in it - with Megan Phelps-Roper who had been in the Westboro Baptist Church - which was a good listen as well

One of my favourite JRE episodes of all time.

We so interesting to hear insight from a point of view that's never represented...... someone who knows those people as humans.

Great podcast!

I notice you still haven't given an opinion yourself though.

Snide comments about 20% of his listenership being morons, and putting forward the opinions of a newspaper as gospel....... but nothing of your own.

I clearly said that you have to follow scientific expert advice in areas where one is lacking any expertise

If you expect me to offer some opinion purely of my own on Covid public health policy, that's a moronic request in itself

and as I also clearly said that if one has a very large audience, that one needs to be cognisant of what you say on issues that could have negative consequences, like this, and again where one is absolutely lacking in any expertise whatsoever

• Advertisement

I clearly said that you have to follow scientific expert advice in areas where one is lacking any expertise

If you expect me to offer some opinion purely of my own on Covid public health policy, that's a moronic request in itself

So, what you're saying is, it would be moronic for you to say you disagree with Joe here because you're not an expert?

Advertisement