Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Just saw Joe Rogan had wwe star the undertaker on the podcast today. Have to give it a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Just saw Joe Rogan had wwe star the undertaker on the podcast today. Have to give it a listen
    listened to some of the shorter YouTube clips, very good indeed I'd say he's some stories from 30 years in the madhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

listened to some of the shorter YouTube clips, very good indeed I'd say he's some stories from 30 years in the madhouse.

Just listened to it there it was a very good episode. I got some laugh at how he found out he was going to become the undertaker

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Agreed, there are far too much comedians on the show now. Same things talked about every time and have to listen to Joe's views on the same issues again and again.

I got plenty of good hours of listening out of Joe's podcast over the years and learned a few things along the way so I'm grateful for that. But at this stage, I've heard his views on the same things over and over so many times that I almost know what he's going to say next.

I think we may have hit peak Rogan a few years ago. Many of the podcasts, as you say, are with other "comedians" who would be better classed as celebrities or entertainers because you could listen to them talk for 3 hours without breaking a smile.

Didn't follow him to Spotify and not really missing it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭vafankillar

does anyone actually know how his podcast is going after the switch over? were his listening numbers affected much at all?

tbh I never treated the rogan podcast as a traditional podcast, usually just dipped in and out of different clips, always watching on youtube. still watch a few of the clips uploaded to youtube but haven't even looked him up on spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The thing is, ever since big tech started to crack down on free speech post Capitol city riot, he's been doing very low profile podcasts, he conveniently doesn't touch specific subjects the way he did before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The thing is, ever since big tech started to crack down on free speech post Capitol city riot, he's been doing very low profile podcasts, he conveniently doesn't touch specific subjects the way he did before

He's had Ira Glasser on, Tulsi Gabbard on in the last two weeks.

He's also had scientists, lads abducted by aliens, comedians, documentary makers..........

I think you're being paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MrStuffins wrote: »

He's also had scientists, lads abducted by aliens, comedians, documentary makers..........

The Tulsi Gabbard one in particular they talked a lot about big tech censorship, politics, the riot, Trump, left vs right etc.

I haven't migrated to Spotify at all. I don't like it as a podcast platform. I've barely kept up with JRE since the move.

I haven't migrated to Spotify at all. I don't like it as a podcast platform. I've barely kept up with JRE since the move.

I tend to watch podcasts like JRE and Your Mom's House/2 Bears. The facials and reactions make it much more enjoyable. For some reason Spotify's app on the Xbox doesn't do video so I'm not bothered sticking on the JRE.
    Spotify are learning quickly that their idea of how podcasts could make them money may not work out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He's certainly not avoided current political issues- in particular with 2 guests that went pretty deep and fair (Ira Glasser and Tulsi).

I've seldom that found JRE goes in quick with current affairs, topical items come up in conversation with guests and sometimes topical items are dealt in a more meaningful way when the dusts has settled a little and there's a bit more clarity in a complicated matter (Covington High School at the Lincoln Memorial comes to mind).
    That lack of immediate reaction to evolving events on JRE is a positive for me. I for one wouldn't be tuning into Joe for commentary on specific current events. What comes up comes up, he's not AP or CNN, it's an entertainment show and that entertainment is derived from the number of interests that Joe has or people he's interested in or people he finds funny.

I don't think he's been avoiding any topics. I do think that between the move to Austin and Covid restrictions there's a continuity hiccup. There's less of a flow from show to show.

There's been a few regular faces back in the last week or so. And on that point- is it just me that finds Justin Wren to be an wholly unlikable bore?

humberklog wrote: »
    And on that point- is it just me that finds Justin Wren to be an wholly unlikable bore?

I mean, I enjoyed the first time I heard his story years ago but there's only so many times you can hear him talking about the same sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Enjoyed the one with Lex Fridman, he's an interesting guy.

the one with Ira Glasser, Joe defended social media and their "need" for censorship

he conveniently doesn't touch specific subjects the way he did before
    the one with Ira Glasser, Joe defended social media and their "need" for censorship

So Joe HAS been touching those subjects.

Glad we're all on the same page.

So Joe HAS been touching those subjects.

Glad we're all on the same page.

we aren't
    he hasn't touched those subjects the way he did before
    that was my point, which you perfectly proved by quoting my previous posts

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

the way he did before

What do you mean by the way he did before?
    Do you mean his views have changed?
    Or something else?

His opinion on anything other than MMA is completely irrelevant so it doesn't really bother me what he talks about now.

The Nal wrote: »
    His opinion on anything other than MMA is completely irrelevant so it doesn't really bother me what he talks about now.

hardly irrelevant when he's got the biggest podcast in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

The Nal wrote: »

Care to explain why his opinion is irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We live in a world where everyone has an opinion but at the same time these opinions aren't valued and I think that's a problem. As Jordan Peterson would say, assume the other person knows something you don't. In some areas, a genuflection towards experts might make sense but on social issues, sports etc. you don't have to be an expert to be able to wade in on these topics. Curious, inquisitive, open and ready to have a good conversation with someone are all you need. Rogan has annoying aspects( Vote Bernie while complaining about California taxes) but overall he's a good guy and has opened up discourse for a lot of people. When you see the likes of Spotify employees looking to de-platform him, you know he's doing a good job.

We live in a world where everyone has an opinion but at the same time these opinions aren't valued and I think that's a problem. As Jordan Peterson would say, assume the other person knows something you don't. In some areas, a genuflection towards experts might make sense but on social issues, sports etc. you don't have to be an expert to be able to wade in on these topics. Curious, inquisitive, open and ready to have a good conversation with someone are all you need. Rogan has annoying aspects( Vote Bernie while complaining about California taxes) but overall he's a good guy and has opened up discourse for a lot of people. When you see the likes of Spotify employees looking to de-platform him, you know he's doing a good job.

his primary problem with high taxes is that they aren't being spent on anything to improve the quality of life for most americans, he's reiterated this so many god dam times, how is it people still dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

hardly irrelevant when he's got the biggest podcast in the world.

His opinion on MMA is irrelevant.

I do believe that ever since the republican purge on YT/Twitter he may been advised to keep a low profile. His recent guests have been very bland when it comes to having anything interesting to say about the current affairs.
    Tulsi Gabbard was the most interesting, and she is a democrat.

I do believe that ever since the republican purge on YT/Twitter he may been advised to keep a low profile.

Is it really a purge if you are in violation of their terms?

Who do you think is advising him to keep a low profile?

When you see the likes of Spotify employees looking to de-platform him, you know he's doing a good job.

Why? What have you got against Spotify employees?

Today's Francis Ngannou podcast well worth a watch: I'm an MMA fan so know the backstory, but this guy's life :eek:

From working in Cameroonian saltmines age 10, made it to France after being jailed in Spain for illegally crossing its borders, sleeping in a carpark in Paris with a dream to become a boxer, eventually working up to being No 1 contender in UFC heavyweights... Crazy.
    Such a gentle soft spoken man, but the heaviest recorded puncher ever (as far as I'm aware). Now speaks 4 languages. He's based in Vegas but has set up a martial arts foundation in Cameroon for kids to train in and he visits several times a year. There are some infamous clips of him rolling with sparring partner's kids letting them win - watch one of those and then watch him knocking out Overeem...

Watch it and think about how lucky you are...

we aren't
    he hasn't touched those subjects the way he did before
    that was my point, which you perfectly proved by quoting my previous posts

You're talking rubbish

Is it really a purge if you are in violation of their terms?

Who do you think is advising him to keep a low profile?

His employer Spotify
    Lots of people have been deplatformed in recent months from the usual places. Lots of people are no longer welcome on YT, Twitter and the likes. Do you think Joe Rogan can still invite whoever he wants or talk about his political views the way he did before?

• Advertisement

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Care to explain why his opinion is irrelevant?

Because hes not an expert on anything part from MMA. And maybe stand up.

His success is slightly baffling to me.

Advertisement