Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish paper 1 Higher, how you feel after? * (1 thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

really unhappy with my aiste, i dont know what happened me but i fcuked up bigtime

i had an essay prepared on the recession but i didnt understand the diospoireacht Q i wasnt sure if it had anything to do with the economy or what!

so i did the social networking Q, managed 2 A4's with 4 paragraphs only :(and its pure shoite what i wrote my mind went blank for all irish phrases etc.

think i did well enough on comprehensions spent an hour on each of them !

praying paper 2 goes well tomorow , i want a C2 minimum in irish, better get cramming!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

xaoifsx wrote: »
    really?? okay. i had so many pages because i had so much time left!!

Well the way I see it, from correcting, more pages = more mistakes= more marks deducted for spelling and grammar which accounts for 80% of the marks.
    3 pages is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

Essay titles were fair enough, the children's rights one was a bit iffy and random, I for one would not have touched it with a bargepole.

The diospoireacht title given was amazing, so much scope for diversity into politics, recession, emmigration etc .. Overall i doubt anyone would have froze and panicked at any of them. Did anyone run into difficulty?

The comprehensions were challenging enough, as always. But do-able.

In the Ordinary paper, i thought the b part of the Litir section would pose a difficulty for students that did not have a huge collection of vocab, but the other letter was fine! Giota leanúnach were reasonable enough.

I hope everybody is happy with it :) and remember its done now, so remove it from your head and be positive about Paper 2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Was delighted! Between the tape work, the comprehensions, the oral and the essay I definately managed over 400/420 :D

Did the article about the foreigners in the country interview, got 5 nice pages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭resistantdoor

About the internet essay.
    I mistranslated it as "social issues in the age of the internet".
    During my essay I mentioned Facebook once and then went on to talk about crime on the internet and how it effects society. I also talked about the benefits of the internet to society but mainly twisted the essay into a discussion about crime. My conclusion talked about how we need to fix our social problems.

Am I down 20 marks already or will I get a big fat 0? Any answers are appreciated because I'm kind of freaking out

• Advertisement

About the internet essay.
    I mistranslated it as "social issues in the age of the internet".
    During my essay I mentioned Facebook once and then went on to talk about crime on the internet and how it effects society. I also talked about the benefits of the internet to society but mainly twisted the essay into a discussion about crime. My conclusion talked about how we need to fix our social problems.

Am I down 20 marks already or will I get a big fat 0? Any answers are appreciated because I'm kind of freaking out

80/100 (80%) of the marks go solely on grammar

20/100 (20%) on the subject...

Dont worry about it too much

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Isn't it a great feeling having 70% of your irish exam done
    and being happy with all of it...
    great for taking the pressure off a bit i leith paipear a dó
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 josephdaly111

What was the answer to why they teach Irish in the Polish university???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I find it hard to believe that some people did honours Irish yet can't translate the diospoireacht title.

Realt11 wrote: »

I know that but I'm worried that I might get 'gan chaill' (I'm gonna look like an ass if I spelt that wrong)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know that but I'm worried that I might get 'gan chaill' (I'm gonna look like an ass if I spelt that wrong)

You look like an ass so :D

do you mean 'gan chiall?' without meaning?

Im sure your worried but honestly dont beat yourself up about it, you can gain back some pride and marks in tomorrow's paper. Having postmortems on exams is never a good idea!

Said this earlier. There was none. If you talked about how they have to do it in 2nd year or else do Welsh or about how they get to choose what subject they want to do in 4th year you should be alrite, could even be that anyone that attempted it gets full marks (all 3 of them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Mr. Maths

Yeah i didn't really get that either, and it wasnt a problem with understanding the text... the answer just didn't seem to be there like? I just said that its taught there because it a part of the MA in english, didn't seem like that was what they were looking for though.

do you mean 'gan chiall?' without meaning?

Im sure your worried but honestly dont beat yourself up about it, you can gain back some pride and marks in tomorrow's paper. Having postmortems on exams is never a good idea!
    ok then. Off to learn Irish paper 2 in a night. My teacher covered the last two poems last week. And only ever gave me (I'm the only one doing higher level - 5 doing ordinary and 23 doing foundation) a few handouts on the prose. Aaand he never covered lig sinn i gcathú! I'm so screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Not true.
    If your essay is not tied in with the title, you will not get 80/100 if your spellings and grammar are word perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Mr. Maths wrote: »
    Yeah i didn't really get that either, and it wasnt a problem with understanding the text... the answer just didn't seem to be there like? I just said that its taught there because it a part of the MA in english, didn't seem like that was what they were looking for though.
    I said it was because they had a choice between learning Irish or "Bhreatanis" (sorry, I have no idea what that language is).

Mr. Maths wrote: »

no i think that was the answer. The "poles" have to choose either irish or english to study at the end of their second year in that degree so obviously it therefore has to be taught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dan2407

Don't know if I should even say this but would "Ceannairí an Phobail" be more accurately translated as Leaders in the Community? Hopefully they'll accept leaders in general

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Not true.
    If your essay is not tied in with the title, you will not get 80/100 if your spellings and grammar are word perfect.

Apologies Gaeilgebeo! i was always informed that this was the case for years! makes sense though as i always questioned it in the back of my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

MikeHough wrote: »
    no i think that was the answer. The "poles" have to choose either irish or english to study at the end of their second year in that degree so obviously it therefore has to be taught

Irish or Welsh, I think. :p Not that it really matters since it was in Irish anyway.

Cén fáth a bhfuil an Ghaeilge á múineadh in KUL?

Sin í an cheist a chuireadh orainn. Seo a leanas an t-eolas a bhí tugtha sa sliocht:

"Ag deireadh an dara bliain de chéim MA sa Bhéarla, bíonn ar mic léinn rogha a dhéanamh idir an Ghaeilge agus an Bhreatainis. Le linn an tríú agus an ceathrú bhlian, déanann siad staidéar ar an ábhar a roghnaíonn siad."

Now this is how I'd translate that, happy to hear anybody else's views:

"At the end of the second year of the MA course in English, students must choose to do either Irish or Welsh. During third and fourth year, students study the subject they choose"

Now the question asked 'Why is Irish being taught in KUL?', yet there is no indication as to why in the text. A minor thing in the greater scheme of things, I'm probably being pedantic in some ways but it real p**sed me off earlier.

Cén fáth a bhfuil an Ghaeilge á múineadh in KUL?

Sin í an cheist a chuireadh orainn. Seo a leanas an t-eolas a bhí tugtha sa sliocht:

"Ag deireadh an dara bliain de chéim MA sa Bhéarla, bíonn ar mic léinn rogha a dhéanamh idir an Ghaeilge agus an Bhreatainis. Le linn an tríú agus an ceathrú bhlian, déanann siad staidéar ar an ábhar a roghnaíonn siad."

Now this is how I'd translate that, happy to hear anybody else's views:

"At the end of the second year of the MA course in English, students must choose to do either Irish or Welsh. During third and fourth year, students study the subject they choose"

Now the question asked 'Why is Irish being taught in KUL?', yet there is no indication as to why in the text. A minor thing in the greater scheme of things, I'm probably being pedantic in some ways but it real p**sed me off earlier.

But OBVIOUSLY if they are learning irish it has to be taught to them

QED

I know, I'm not disputing that. But why are they teaching Irish? That is the question that was asked, and the fact they were teaching Irish in Poland is interesting, not unheard of but there must be a reason behind it, but obviously that wasn't mentioned by Alan Desmond in his book. The only other thing he said was they've been teaching it since the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Said this earlier. There was none. If you talked about how they have to do it in 2nd year or else do Welsh or about how they get to choose what subject they want to do in 4th year you should be alrite, could even be that anyone that attempted it gets full marks (all 3 of them!)

TBH I think the answer to that question was because the college realised that the language was dying and they were trying to revive it as such. I wrote something along those lines, I think it was moreso interpretation rather than anything else?
    I think saying someothing like that is surely better than saying, because it was an option to learn it after first year, or what ever it was..
    What do you think? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

xaoifsx wrote: »
    with google translator..pretty accurate!

It's hard to be optimistic (or hopeful if you look at other meanings) for the future in Ireland

very surprising that google translate was half accurate..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that some people did honours Irish yet can't translate the diospoireacht title.
    great , thanks :rolleyes:

really looking forward to paper 2 now :(

why oh why didnt I drop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

lmwell wrote: »
    Can anyone please translate the Debate for me, word for word please. I want to make sure I translated it right earlier!

"Is deacair a bheith dochasach as an todhchai in Eirinn"

Thanks.
    It's hard to be hopeful for the future in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

lmwell wrote: »
    Can anyone please translate the Debate for me, word for word please. I want to make sure I translated it right earlier!

"Is deacair a bheith dochasach as an todhchai in Eirinn"

Thanks.

Its hard to be hopeful for the future of Ireland

• Advertisement

biggaman wrote: »
    TBH I think the answer to that question was because the college realised that the language was dying and they were trying to revive it as such. I wrote something along those lines, I think it was moreso interpretation rather than anything else?
    I think saying someothing like that is surely better than saying, because it was an option to learn it after first year, or what ever it was..
    What do you think? :)

Yeah it would make sense in a way. Problem is I didn't see any reference to that in the text. It's going to be a topic of discussion, to the best of my knowledge examiners have a conference when the marking schemes are issued.

Advertisement