Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish paper 1 Higher, how you feel after? * (1 thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I did Children's Rights but I think I'm going to lose marks on clarity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

GSI wrote: »
    Thats all it said. So if I wrote that recession was the leaders of the countrys fault, I'd be ok?

Yes thats perfect.

Ceannairi na tire = Politicians.

Youre fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

How on earth could you write 6 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i wrote 5 and i barely got it done at that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That was a lovely paper. You could have brought stuff on the recession into two of the options (ceannairí and an todhchaí).

It was very topical, and surprisingly up to date with the question on your choice of president, children's rights, and even older people (I'm watching a story about it on the news right now!).

I haven't read the comprehensions yet, but they seem reasonable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

I wrote almost 3 pages, counted the words afterwards and it was over 600.
    It says at the top that 500-600 if sufficient so Im happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

I answered the Litir in Ordinary Paper 1, the one about the present your friend got you. But instead of saying the present was for me I said it was for my friend. Im wondering would I lose out on much marks over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

what essay topics came up today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shelbourneTID

I'd nearly take the award off Mary Robinson for the hard borefest we endured.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Fireball07 wrote: »
    6 pages????

I wrote 3 and a half and I was one of the last left in the exam hall. (I did take a break of about 20 mins to rest and think).

But I still left half an hour early.....you should definitely have been covered with 6 pages!!!

I spent about 35 mins each on the comprehensions but I usually just give them as much time as I need to answer them all, sometimes faster, somestimes slower. I took my time today though...

yes 6 pages..i just kept writing..i had a bomb of knowledge! :)
    okay good.. i am just worried by the fact that i had so much time left over!!
    i took my time with the comprehensions too.. i dont know my timing was weird today..:cool:
    C__ wrote: »
    Unless you have huge writing your fine. Its supposed to be 500-600 words.
    What did you write about?

in the post that you are quoting, i was quoting a post of yours, answering that i did the internet question!! :pac:
    my writing is medium sized.. when i panic though it seems to grow a lot.. but i wasn't in a panic today!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

xclw wrote: »
    i wrote 5 and i barely got it done at that

5 Pages:eek:? 6 Pages:eek:?. . .I lost marks for writing just under 4 in the pre. . .just broke 3 pages on the diaspóireacht today, and felt it was too much. . .

On an related note, the examiner is gonna fall asleep reading our class. . .our teacher spent the entire year hammering depressing topics into us. . .the culu eachnamaiochta, bochtanas, and coiriulacht. . .and we all learnt off the same opening to the diaspóireacht. . .almost the entire paragraph. . .and. . .we all did the same debate today!!! God help ye. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

in the post that you are quoting, i was quoting a post of yours, answering that i did the internet question!! :pac:
    my writing is medium sized.. when i panic though it seems to grow a lot.. but i wasn't in a panic today!![/QUOTE]

I mean what did you write on the topic cause i am worried i did it very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

I did the díospóireacht.

Went really well but i pretty much spoke all about the economy. The points were diverse though, I spoke about emigration, then unemplyment, then tax rates because of the bailout and dealt with them all seperately. Will this do me well for the 20 points? It didn't occur to me to speak about anything else because I was so well prepared for the economy. Wouldn't mind a bit of reassurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

In Ordinary, I thought it was a disaster. Nice essay titles and all but Irish isn't my strong point.

oh right whoops sorry!! XD

i wrote about the good of the internet and how it was such an amazing invention! talked about how the communication has evolved onto the internet. how its quick and easy, the younger generation will be using it in the future..bla bla
    then the bad bits about it..how its dangerous with buying online or something..i kinda just wrote about everything really..i wasnt too sure about what cadraimh or whatever that word was..i knew it was something got to do with friends or relationships or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

xaoifsx wrote: »
    oh right whoops sorry!! XD

i wrote about the good of the internet and how it was such an amazing invention! talked about how the communication has evolved onto the internet. how its quick and easy, the younger generation will be using it in the future..bla bla
    then the bad bits about it..how its dangerous with buying online or something..i kinda just wrote about everything really..i wasnt too sure about what cadraimh or whatever that word was..i knew it was something got to do with friends or relationships or something

I did the same but i don't mean to worry you but I think it was about social relationships in the internet age from looking back at it again :O

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Can someone please give me three points on gluaiseanna(for stair).. my teacher done ogham but not gluaiseanna and I can't find any notes.. help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

the diospoireacht was great!

Will i be okay if i said that the future was hopeless as regards to the culu eacnamaiochta then i said as regards to culture (ie. gaeilge mar theanga). i stated that i was goin to talk about two points in my intro. will that be okay or will the examiner think i'm goin astray?

And i pride myself in my oral and aural (the oral exam went pretty well) but i thought that aural was a lot harder than any year so far. the questions were kinda broad and the answers well long sentances with a lot of detail......especially that one about caint diuiltach......blah blah.......
    oh well it's over.

Tomorrow is gonna kill irish P2 AND business :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Any one think the reading pieces were impossible!? :( essay was grand but..my god, what a fail! Will I get marks for taking it out of the piece?

C__ wrote: »
    I did the same but i don't mean to worry you but I think it was about social relationships in the internet age from looking back at it again :O

im not too worried.. its 80 grammer and 20 content..i was told this today!! like if you were talking about something totally irrevelent you would get 0/20..but like i kept refering back to the statement and fixed what i was saying it around it in a way..so i think at least i would get 10/20 if i was wrong..but you can't get no marks because you did talk about the internet like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Any one think the reading pieces were impossible!? :( essay was grand but..my god, what a fail! Will I get marks for taking it out of the piece?
    Yeah, I kind of gave up by the time I got to the end of the Mary Robinson one and just started picking out stuff.

yes you will..not sure what the marks are but you do..our teacher was convinced that you don't untill someone who goes to grinds said that its okay to take them out of the pieces.. but not a big chunk of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

5 Pages:eek:? 6 Pages:eek:?. . .I lost marks for writing just under 4 in the pre. . .just broke 3 pages on the diaspóireacht today, and felt it was too much. . .

On an related note, the examiner is gonna fall asleep reading our class. . .our teacher spent the entire year hammering depressing topics into us. . .the culu eachnamaiochta, bochtanas, and coiriulacht. . .and we all learnt off the same opening to the diaspóireacht. . .almost the entire paragraph. . .and. . .we all did the same debate today!!! God help ye. . .

I am an Irish teacher and an examiner.
    3 pages is more than enough. Don't worry.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I am an Irish teacher and an examiner.
    3 pages is more than enough. Don't worry.

really?? okay. i had so many pages because i had so much time left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Would have been screwed if the debate on the future of Ireland hadn't have come up, thought the listening wasn't too bad, Cuid C was probably the hardest bit and I thought the comprehensions were ok. Not too confident about my answers to the Mary Robinson one :\ Am just happy it's over though, bring on tomorrow, can't to be finished with Irish! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

lmwell wrote: »
    Can anyone please translate the Debate for me, word for word please. I want to make sure I translated it right earlier!

"Is deacair a bheith dochasach as an todhchai in Eirinn"

Thanks.

Its hard to be hopeful about the future in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Yes you will get marks for taking it out of the piece, but if its direct translation it it usually just 1 mark each. in the marking schemes there is a list given of the different ways in which you can possibly answer the question and what marks would be allocated for that. did you take it word for word or did you change the odd word here or there?

with google translator..pretty accurate!

It's hard to be optimistic (or hopeful if you look at other meanings) for the future in Ireland

Yes you will get marks for taking it out of the piece, but if its direct translation it it usually just 1 mark each. in the marking schemes there is a list given of the different ways in which you can possibly answer the question and what marks would be allocated for that. did you take it word for word or did you change the odd word here or there?

i changed a word here and there..what will that get me for the ones i did that for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I go to a Gaelcholaiste by the way so you can be certain about that translation. I thought it was grand (unsuprisingly to be fair) but I was quite annoyed with question 2 (a) as there was no answer from the text to answer this question correctly. I reckon I got it right, and it was only 3 marks, but it was pretty annoying for me

Advertisement