Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish paper 1 Higher, how you feel after? * (1 thread please)

Options
  • 13-06-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Very happy with the essay in paper one, done the leaders of public, linked in recession etc. The readings, found the first one tougher, and tape was ok, bits were grand, others tougher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

Thought the honours paper irish was very fair, although im sure people were dissapointed with not seeing the economy come up as an essay, i done the childrens rights wich i though was pretty straight forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Economy could have been wrangled into the debate easily with "not having any hope for the future of Ireland". That was a great, broad option for throwing everything from economy,emmigration,drugs,drink and crime into. Really fair. Delighted with that now! :D Just need to try and survive paper 2 now....

Aural was also suprisingly easy I thought. A few curve balls but agian, very fair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Amazing. Was able to use my essay about the recession/ problems in Ireland in the debate section! I was so scared that the I wouldn't be able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

Essays were fine but that piece on Mary Robinson was quite difficult I felt answers hard found!

The listening must have been the hardest for years, found some of the words spoken difficult to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Economy could have been wrangled into the debate easily with "not having any hope for the future of Ireland". That was a great, broad option for throwing everything from economy,emmigration,drugs,drink and crime into. Really fair. Delighted with that now! :D Just need to try and survive paper 2 now....

Aural was also suprisingly easy I thought. A few curve balls but agian, very fair :)

Ye, I only really had problem with the second one in the last section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

just after seeing the paper there, have to say it was a wonderful paper in terms of the essay sections. Even the Alt and diospóireacht sections had areas people could have easily done and many were hoping for the future of Ireland or Irish so was lovely to see it as well as the alt on life around the people. and the essay on politicians and Kids rights had plenty of scope to bring in all aspects of topics learned.

I hope people hadnt banked too much on the economy coming back up straight forward, that would have been two years in a row really!

Did anybody have any problems with the paper overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikeydublin

Yeah mary robinson put me to sleep! Aural i can imagine was a tough one for the weaker student, was tough in contrast to the mock one and to past leaving certs!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Was pretty much like all the other papers - Fair, brought up a current issue but put a twist on it. I'm happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dannyirishman

55/70 on comps but I messed up my essay.

I thought the human rights meant honesty in children (Dont ask) but I did a very good essay on young people.

Will I lose 20% straight away on the essay quesion because I did this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I thought the tape was easy in comparision to previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Did foundation haha easiest paper I have ever sat, probably got got around 98 or 99%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

Surprisingly happy with the paper.. Hopefully paper 2 might be on a similar level :)

Did anyone do the essay on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

Can anyone please translate the Debate for me, word for word please. I want to make sure I translated it right earlier!

"Is deacair a bheith dochasach as an todhchai in Eirinn"

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

tape was harder than normal. got 87/89 in two i done last night, i'd say low 70s today. Mary Robinson comp was hard enough I thought, and my essay which I learned off "easpa cinnireachta" literally couldn't have come up in a more perfect way - (Aiste part C)
    Pretty happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

lmwell wrote: »
    Can anyone please translate the Debate for me, word for word please. I want to make sure I translated it right earlier!

Thanks.
    It's hard to be hopeful about Ireland in the future. Well, that's what I translated it as :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMcG92

C__ wrote: »
    I did, but don't think I got enough written (<400 words). The comprehensions and tape went pretty well though, considering I barely passed the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

lmwell wrote: »

Thanks.

I think its "its hard to be hopeful about the future in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So, so happy with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i did the debate on its hard to be hopeful about the future in ireland, except i didn't put anything about the government or recession in it cos we never did those topics in class, i wrote about drugs, suicide, car crashes, health, religion and the state of irish and how we can't be hopeful with these kinda things, do yas think it sounds ok?

kinda annoyed really i had essays on religion, media, education, sport, environment, tragedies, poverty and other stuff but my teacher never did anything on recession or politics even though i asked her to :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

As a repeat,that was the easiest paper 1 I have ever done,mocks or real things.

The reading comprehensions were a walk in the park compared to usual,particularly to last year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i did the debate on its hard to be hopeful about the future in ireland, except i didn't put anything about the government or recession in it cos we never did those topics in class, i wrote about drugs, suicide, car crashes, health, religion and the state of irish and how we can't be hopeful with these kinda things, do yas think it sounds ok?

kinda annoyed really i had essays on religion, media, education, sport, environment, tragedies, poverty and other stuff but my teacher never did anything on recession or politics even though i asked her to :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The paper was fair anyway.

I thought both comprehensions were pretty easy. Understood pretty much everything that was going on and I'd say I didn't get more than 1 wrong (and I'd be disappointed if I did get 1 wrong).

Essay was fairly handy...just a pity I didn't know more things to right. Bits of it were good and bits of it were of a very poor standard. Still did okay, I suppose.

Listening- slightly disappointed with myself. Misread 1 or 2 questions stupidly and the 2nd last one was tough. Couldn't understand most of what he was saying. Still apart from that, I couldn't say it was hard, I'm pretty sure I got full marks in the comhrás anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

C__ wrote: »

yes i did.. i think i wrote enough..i wrote about 6 pages for it until i was stumped.. and i managed to have like 40mins just reading over the paper...i was very worried with this..i had a time problem in the mocks so i spent 40 mins on comprehensions..each..and about an hour writing the essay.. should i be worried!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

xaoifsx wrote: »
    yes i did.. i think i wrote enough..i wrote about 6 pages for it until i was stumped.. and i managed to have like 40mins just reading over the paper...i was very worried with this..i had a time problem in the mocks so i spent 40 mins on comprehensions..each..and about an hour writing the essay.. should i be worried!! :(

6 pages????

I wrote 3 and a half and I was one of the last left in the exam hall. (I did take a break of about 20 mins to rest and think).

But I still left half an hour early.....you should definitely have been covered with 6 pages!!!

I spent about 35 mins each on the comprehensions but I usually just give them as much time as I need to answer them all, sometimes faster, somestimes slower. I took my time today though...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

IMHO, the people who designed that paper made a bollocks of the comprehensions. Some questions were vague and others completely incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

What was the essay on ceannairi na tire about??

Please say it was the head of the country? I wrote about the recession and how it was the governments fault etc:/

xaoifsx wrote: »

Unless you have huge writing your fine. Its supposed to be 500-600 words.
    What did you write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

GSI wrote: »
    What was the essay on ceannairi na tire about??

Please say it was the head of the country? I wrote about the recession and how it was the governments fault etc:/

"(The) leaders of the country" What did the rest say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

Gumbi wrote: »
    "(The) leaders of the country" What did the rest say?

Thats all it said. So if I wrote that recession was the leaders of the countrys fault, I'd be ok?

Advertisement