Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths Paper 2 " Let's fight back :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Do all of the trig identities have to be proven using the unit circle and triangles or can they be proven using other identities? I am of course talking about all others barring Cos^2A + Sin^2A = 1 and the Cos(A+B), Sin(A+B) identities.

Nope, unless it says it specifically then you have free reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Anyone reckon the tangent to a circle proof will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Michael_E wrote: »
    Nope, unless it says it specifically then you have free reign.
    Phew... I thought I had to go look over 17 proofs for the trig questions. That would've been nightmarish.

Seeing as you correctly predicted the integration of a circle, what are you intending to study for the rest of today and (perhaps) tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

For everyone doing further calculus (Q8) I've always know integration by parts to be LIATE, never heard anything else but I saw on the Leaving Cert predictions page that someone posted saying it's not InLATE and it's actually LIATE, which is true.

Just said I'd post here in case any of ye use InLATE.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For everyone doing further calculus (Q8) I've always know integration by parts to be LIATE, never heard anything else but I saw on the Leaving Cert predictions page that someone posted saying it's not InLATE and it's actually LIATE, which is true.

Both have exceptions to the rules but are generally ok and afaik should suffice for LC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

We've never don'e anything about trig graphs in class. Ever.
    Are there any things I have to know about them? Any tricky questions that can come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Shanee. wrote: »
    Anyone reckon the tangent to a circle proof will come up?
    Bump!

PJelly wrote: »
    Are there any things I have to know about them? Any tricky questions that can come up?

Iirc 2006 or 2005 had a "stinger" question where the tan function came up. It's not a bad question, but if you haven't come across something like it before it might throw you. :)

Edit : 2006 Q5. That year's probabilty questions were probably the easiest in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

It doesn't matter which you use, because there is no chance in hell of getting a question which has both a logarithm and an inverse function on a LC paper. :)

If they actually did give one, when you pick your u and dv, you'd have to go and do integration by parts to work out your v, which would result in a VERY VERY VERY messy solution. :D

Malty_T wrote: »
    Iirc 2006 or 2005 had a "stinger" question where the tan function came up. It's not a bad question, but if you haven't come across something like it before it might throw you. :)

Edit : 2006 Q5. That year's probabilty questions were probably the easiest in years.

So just be able to do that question and I should be able to tackle anything they throw at me?

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter which you use, because there is no chance in hell of getting a question which has both a logarithm and an inverse function on a LC paper. :)

If they actually did give one, when you pick your u and dv, you'd have to go and do integration by parts to work out your v, which would result in a VERY VERY VERY messy solution. :D
    I wanna see! :D:D

I wanna see! :D:D

Hahaha, give me 15 minutes and I'll throw one up. ;)

Hahaha, give me 15 minutes and I'll throw one up. ;)

That's the coolest and the nerdiest thing I'm gonna see all day..! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dollybirdmary

You can only be given a graph and asked to find the period and the range .They could also ask you to sketch inverse sine x .

You can only be given a graph and asked to find the period and the range .They could also ask you to sketch inverse sine x .

Period and range?
    Eh? Confused.com.
    How do you find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Period and range?
    Eh? Confused.com.
    How do you find them?
    Period is the rate of x at which the values of f(x) repeat themselves and range is range of values that f(x) has.

For example in the graph of sin(x) the period is 2Pi and the range is -1 -> 1.

Period is the rate of x at which the values of f(x) repeat themselves and range is range of values that f(x) has.

Oh so if the graph is at point -rtThree at -1, and at rtThree at 1. Then its range is -1 to 1?
    Or would that be two? :p
    and if -rtThree was the smallest value it hits, and rtThree was the highest, then the range is -rtThree to rtThree?
    Idiotic questions from a HL maths student, I know. But I've never done any questions on these :P

This will seem stupid, but it's me so of course it's not..! :P

So let's take this to be the graph:

X F(X)
    1 2
    2 4
    3 6
    4 2
    5 4
    6 6

Then the period would be 3 and range would be 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

Good luck to every one tomorrow and may the force be with you:)

And this is why you'd never ever EVER get an integration by parts question involving both a log and an inverse trig function.

The result actually amazed me... :o

• Advertisement

And this is why you'd never ever EVER get an integration by parts question involving both a log and an inverse trig function.

Before I go looking through that for errors, did you make up the integral yourself?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Guys, it's bed time for us! Good night and best of luck to us all. If nothing else, we'll survive it! Best of luck guys. Either I'll be back here relieved tomorrow that P2 was fair, or I'll be organizing a march to Athlone :D

Malty_T wrote: »
    Before I go looking through that for errors, did you make up the integral yourself?:pac:

Yeah. There aren't any questions like this in LC books or even any of my calculus college books. :o

Maybe you did it wrong? :p

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE. This is how they initially found out what 0 equals.

Maybe you did it wrong? :p

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE. This is how they initially found out what 0 equals.

I doubt it since the result at the end was true. :p

Hahaha, yeah, a group of mathematicians in the 1700s
    *does the integral*
    *results in 0=0*
    Mathematician: "May god have mercy on us all...."

:D

I doubt it since the result at the end was true. :p

Hahaha, yeah, a group of mathematicians in the 1700s
    *does the integral*
    *results in 0=0*
    Mathematician: "May god have mercy on us all...."

:D
    I do believe this says that zero equals ze- *BANG*
    BLACK HOLE
    GATES OF HELL OPEN

Actually, just realised I did make a mistake.. forgot the constant at the end, so it should've been c = 0, which actually doesn't matter..
    So the whole thing is still a loop... :/

Actually, just realised I did make a mistake.. forgot the constant at the end, so it should've been c = 0, which actually doesn't matter..
    So the whole thing is still a loop... :/
    Well the C is worth 3 marks. And that question is 5 marks. So you did fail the question.
    Well, didn't fail. But didn't get your honor.

Well the C is worth 3 marks. And that question is 5 marks. So you did fail the question.
    Well, didn't fail. But didn't get your honor.

Aren't part a's 10 marks?
    They were last year at least. :p

Back on topic, you'll never get a log and an inverse trig in the same integral, so in doesn't matter whether you use InLATE or LIATE :)

• Advertisement

Aren't part a's 10 marks?
    They were last year at least. :p

Back on topic, you'll never get a log and an inverse trig in the same integral, so in doesn't matter whether you use InLATE or LIATE :)

That was an A o_o
    I was more thinking C (iii)
    I'm curious now as to what kind of stuff you get when integrating inverse cos and lnx or similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement