Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Boooooooooooooooo. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bastados wrote: »
    Most atheists I know are dull people lacking any real intellectual or instinctual depth.

You need to expand your social circle a bit there mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Malty_T wrote: »
    In all honesty as explanations go that's pretty poor and somewhat misleading. Artistically good maybe.

Fair enough
    im not a physicist and i found that to be the clearest explaination of the demensions. But if its wrong its wrong:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Most atheists I know are dull people lacking any real intellectual or instinctual depth.

Lacking in intellectual depth because they don't believe a fairy tale? Yea that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

actually i thought you were taking the píss because i didnt think anyone would actually think that athiests have no imagination and live in a 2D world.

So you know boring people. get new friends then.

huh? you never seen so much life as in the world? thats hardly suprising.
    and a metaphor for what?

1. I was for the most part but yet to find any really good free thinkers godless people.

2. everyone has friends , family and neighbors that see life differently

3. a metaphor is a bridging mechanism

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    Lacking in intellectual depth because they don't believe a fairy tale? Yea that makes sense.

lame...NTMK just said the same thing...need your imagination topping up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You need to expand your social circle a bit there mate.

There's a lot of that going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

1. I was for the most part but yet to find any really good free thinkers godless people.

2. everyone has friends , family and neighbors that see life differently

3. a metaphor is a bridging mechanism

1. okey dokey. I have never met an albanian. im pretty sure they exist though
    2. if you only know boring people perhaps thats your problem, that you only attrack boring people
    3. yes thank you i know what a metaphor is. your metaphor doesnt work though because its not clear what its a metaphor for, hence the 'metaphor for what?'

prinz wrote: »
    There's a lot of that going around.

Social Revolutions.

So it's fine thanks, I have a good imagination without having to believe in a false god.

Also, by saying that theists have more of an imagination you're implying that they're making it up.

• Advertisement

So it's fine thanks, I have a good imagination without having to believe in a false god.

Also, by saying that theists have more of an imagination you're implying that they're making it up.

you're actually stating there is a true god by by implying there isnt a false one :D
    you're also implying I believe in one.
    ...ah logic , where is thy sting?

imagination helps you see the world as it is...visit an art gallery for proof of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

In a debate there is always someone you wish wasn't on your side. You are that person.

Sympathies to Philologos as his position will undoubtedly be tarnished with your 'arguments'.

Good day, sir. May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

bastados, the smell of troll of you is overwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Exactly what I was going to say. Watch him try to squirm out of it, though.

Seachmall wrote: »
    In a debate there is always someone you wish wasn't on your side. You are that person.

Sympathies to Philologos as his position will undoubtedly be tarnished with your 'arguments'.

Good day, sir. May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

lol..I love a grande gesture me thanks.

- the quality of men leaves none for mercy.

you're actually stating there is a true god by by implying there isnt a false one :D
    you're also implying I believe in one.
    ...ah logic , where is thy sting?

imagination helps you see the world as it is...visit an art gallery for proof of same.

Just one simple question : Do you believe that this world was created for you?

moneyman wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say. Watch him try to squirm out of it, though.

you could with a visit to the art gallery too :D:D:D

Just one simple question : Do you believe that this world was created for you?

all truth is subjective...go in peace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

you could with a visit to the art gallery too :D:D:D

Mistress69? Is that you?

all truth is subjective...go in peace :D

Really truth is subjective? Whether the sun is bigger than the earth happens to be true or not has no bearing on what we believe to be the case. The truth is definitely not subjective, it's independent of our nature of thought altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Atheists and theists will churn the milk of life until eventually the cream of the Agnostic rises to the top.

Atheists and theists will churn the milk of life until eventually the cream of the Agnostic rises to the top.

Agnostics are, technically, atheists. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Atheism and theism are beliefs while agnosticism and gnosticism are levels of certainty.

You can be an agnostic atheist and an agnostic theist, for example. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't believe in a god, but I can't know for sure".

Also - saying "I don't know" doesn't mean they're both equally likely, or that it's equally rational to be either an atheist or theist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

And thats what you put in a White Russian right?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

lol..I love a grande gesture me thanks.

- the quality of men leaves none for mercy.

Are you channeling Eric Cantona? You seem to have knack for the Non Sequitur. Or is this some kind of performance art piece? Maybe's its my lack of imagination, but I can't work out what the feck you're on about.

Really truth is subjective? Whether the sun is bigger than the earth happens to be true or not has no bearing on what we believe to be the case. The truth is definitely not subjective, it's independent of our nature of thought altogether.

Yeah you're talking about facts...I'm talking about truth's ,there's a difference between observable fact and subjective truth...class is over.

gvn wrote: »
    Agnostics are, technically, atheists. :p

Well, we have no way of conceiving of an almighty creator let alone proving the existence of one. Not being able to conceive of one does not mean that there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Well, we have no way of conceiving of an almighty creator let alone proving the existence of one. Not being able to conceive of one does not mean that there is none.

That's your typical atheist's stance known as Agnostic Atheism or weak Atheism. The vast majority of atheists take this position.

Seachmall wrote: »
    That's your typical atheist's stance known as Agnostic Atheism or weak Atheism. The vast majority of atheists take this position.

It could be weak theism too though

• Advertisement

Do you believe in God? I'm not asking you if you have knowledge of whether God exists or not, I'm asking you if you believe in him. Belief is a one-or-the-other system: you either believe in God or you don't, you can't half believe in him. Agnostics, as they're typically defined, lack this belief (not knowledge, but belief) so they're atheists.

As Mark200 pointed out: atheism and theism are statements of belief, whereas agnosticism is a statement of knowledge.

Advertisement