Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The rest of your point is actually quite reasonable. Just because a scientist is Christian doesn't mean that their science is proof of God's existence. That's entirely fair.

What I was interested in replying to was your claim that my post was closer to an argument from authority. My point wasn't that Christian scientists prove God, but rather that one can be Christian and scientifically minded. I felt you may not have understood my point fully hence why I clarified it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

philologos wrote: »
    You're still basing the assumption that science is the only valid means of inquiry. This simply isn't true for a lot of people, including many scientists.

There is no such thing as true for some. Are you saying that truth is group dependent? If so you need your head fixed.
    There is a case for God but it involves philosophy, history, archaeology, textual analysis, cosmology, human nature and so on, but it isn't confined to natural science. So I'm not going to argue on that basis. If you wish to hold that assumption that's up to you. I think it's royally invalid.

I guess your view must lead you to think that the aforenamed disciplines are useless?

What's useless is you pigeon-holing the value of science. The process of which I see as being this. You never answered the questions in that post interestingly. Why not?

The list of disciplines you mentioned above are hodgepodge of hypotheses that are rejected by the scientific method because other hypothesis had higher probability and explanatory power(another topic you always ignore when I bring it up). Oh by the study of human nature and the answers generated come from science, how could it come from anywhere else?

The rest of your point is actually quite reasonable. Just because a scientist is Christian doesn't mean that their science is proof of God's existence. That's entirely fair.

What I was interested in replying to was your claim that my post was closer to an argument from authority. My point wasn't that Christian scientists prove God, but rather that one can be Christian and scientifically minded. I felt you may not have understood my point fully hence why I clarified it.

No! It proves that part of their mind which they use in their field of scientific enquiry is scientific. Do not underestimate the power of akrasia!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Indeed, but the reason I felt it important to point out what I did is that people might mistakenly think that being both Christian and scientifically minded means that one in ANY way supports the other.

In fact since neither support the other really, pointing out that people are Christian and scientifically minded at the same time merely shows that people are capable of holding completely different ideas in their head that in no way have any support for each other, and in fact in some ways contradict each other entirely (virgin births, human flight without the aid of technology and so forth) but they can still hold both, and still subscribe to both.

In short therefore, at the end of the day there really is absolutely no relevance to pointing out that people can be both Christian and scientifically minded. It says nothing about science. It says nothing about the existance of god. It therefore bears no relevance to the actual discussion about god.

CerebralCortex: Then we're at an impasse. If you think that science is the only discipline that can determine truth that's your prerogative but I wholly disagree. There's not much more we can discuss until that disagreement is ironed out

nozzferrahtoo: That wasn't my point originally. I don't agree that neither support each other in any way though really. I think there is a lot of interesting speculation that can arise from natural science that can prompt philosophy or searching into the bigger questions.

My point was simply that being scientifically minded does not preclude you from being a Christian. That's pretty obvious as far as I see it.

• Advertisement

Again I am not aware of having made any such claim. Again I ask you to quote me making such a claim. Again I tire of having you reply to things I never said. Again I want to point out you doing this because I think it important people know what kind of character you are.

At no point did I say science is the only discipline that can determine truth. In fact I have on numerous (now countless) posts asked you and people like you for more than just science to support the idea there is a god. My actual words repeatedly are do you have any "arguments, evidence, data OR reasons" to support the claim which clearly is not limiting you to science.

First part was to CerebralCortex, your post came in as I posted mine. See edit.

CerebralCortex: Then we're at an impasse. If you think that science is the only discipline that can determine truth that's your prerogative but I wholly disagree. There's not much more we can discuss until that disagreement is ironed out

Well I'm happy and confident to say it's the only method that has.
    My point was simply that being scientifically minded does not preclude you from being a Christian. That's pretty obvious as far as I see it.

It does if you choose to be scientific about it. Science, it's discoveries and religion in general are incompatible.

I don't agree that neither support each other in any way though really.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you do not. However telling me you do not tells me exactly nothing. Nothing at all. I have no substance there to reply to.

Were you to actually adumbrate some of the ways you think science supports the notion there is a god entity, then we could have conversation.

Pointing out you think they do and then not saying how, is quite literally to say nothing at all but using a lot of words to say it.

So obvious I am still unsure as to why you bother mentioning it. The fact remains however that I feel compelled whenever someone does point out this "obvious" fact to preempt error by pointing out that this does not mean the two things support each other in any way.

I am afraid that wherever I see people pointing out that some scientists are also religious... I will likely feel compelled to reply that this means nothing at all, and that no one should make the error of thinking that this means one in any way supports the other.

So as long as you keep pointing out one, I will likely keep pointing out the other. It is a circle I am happy to go around and around on if it means more people will read it, so proceed as you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I thought the following applied;

1. Atheist = There is no God

2. Agnostic = There is no proof for a God/ I'm not sure.

Now I had this discussion with one of my saplings recently, and we basically collided. *Everything* became lost in translation. I argued that getting into the areas of "God", "after death" and metaphysics in general, that she could not use the tools of logic, reason or personal imperial deduction. All of these tools are based on the 5 physical senses. When one dies or goes beyond this material World even momentarily, all physical measurements become redundant.

Thus, anyone who proclaims from on high that there is no God becomes every bit as faulted and rabid as any Bible-basher. They are trying to disprove the existence of something which cannot be assessed using the tools of the senses. I find both types of fundamentalist tiresome and immature.

Its like trying to explain yellow to a blind person. One can only convey ones own subjective experience of "yellow", not a subjective and definitive truth.

cheers.

nb.. Chesterton "Those who believe in nothing will end up believing in anything"

Agnosticism, is not a theological position, it is merely just a position that certain values of knowledge are unknowable. You could for instance be an agnostic atheist, or an agnostic theist, or you could even be agnostic on the whole vitamin C is good for you. Atheism can be approached in two ways. The first way is the idea that it is the rejection of theism. The second is that it is the lack of belief in a deity.

So let's look at yourself for a second, if you were brought up a theist and self identified as one, but no longer do then you are an atheist because you have rejected theism. If, however, you were brought up devoid of theism then applying the second definition is probably all we can do. However, the second definition runs into an infinite number of problems. Should I also describe you as a non stamp collector, non bug collector, non flat earthist, non believer in the purity of cow's farts, non African, non Chinese .... ad infinitum? Describing someone as not being something else is just utterly useless.

"Since when did weight of numbers or bodycount mean anything?" This is in a nutshell why "atheism" actually exists today. It is the privilege of the religious that has led to such a term being used. We have no other "not a " labels. Really, knowing someone is an atheist tells you almost nothing about their beliefs. They reject theism, or they don't have theistic beliefs but what use is that to telling us something more about what an atheist actually believes?

None of this changes the fact, however, that just like the person who doesn't collect stamps is called as non stamp collector, you are an atheist because you do no believe in a God. Even if you have nothing else in common with other atheist human beings the world over. You are an atheist, simple as. And by sounds of things an ignostic one.

Finally, when it comes to supernatural claims, or indeed any claim. The proponent of the claim has to prove it, the person who disagrees with it only has to cast reasonable doubt and solid critique on the claimants claims. That's all they can ever do because you can't disprove anything. If you were on trial for a crime you most probably didn't commit I'd like to think you'd be fairly ticked off at the suggestion that you had to disprove your guilt. In a similar way, I think God doesn't probably exist, I see no reason why I have to disprove to the religious person why I'm not under threat of burning in fire and brimstone for all eternity.

• Advertisement

The crux of the scientists being also religious debate is that there is quite a number of reasons why people think there is a god.

Scientific ignorance, or “god of the gaps” is only one of those many reasons. There are others such as, but not limited to, confirmation bias, fear of death, wishful thinking, childhood indoctrination, unexplained personal experience (another form of god of the gaps, but worth mentioning in isolation all the same), false notion that religion is required for morality or a moral base point, some simple error in reasoning and more. There is also no reason to think that each person will only believe because of ONE of that list, but can be a combination of many.

All that we can therefore say is that if a scientist thinks there is a god, then it is probably likely that scientific ignorance is not the reason for it.

Increasing the knowledge of science in the world, and highlighting where religious claims are directly contradictory to science (virgin births, survival of the death of the brain, flight without the aid of technology etc etc) will cause a reduction in religious belief… already in this threads have been cited studies showing scientists are less likely to be believers… but it will not eradicate it either in all people, or even in all scientists.

We have to recognize the other reasons people have for thinking there is a god. Scientific education is not enough alone just like inoculating 10000 people against a virus does not mean all 10000 people will never catch that virus.

We can inoculate using science people against the virus notion that there is a god using science, critical thinking, exploring morality without a divine foundation and more. There will always be still infections occurring however. God belief is a powerful and highly evolved meme and it has evolved to be very good at infecting the minds of people. It is no easier to combat as a mental virus than some of our more viciously evolved physical viruses.

But we will keep trying of course. There are too many strong motivations not to.

In fairness there are tonnes of scientists out there who hold what others may consider to be bizarre or whacky beliefs. Even some of the greats, held such bizarre beliefs. They're just human at the end of the day.

I personally see no problem with a God belief. Or for that matter most superstitions. The problem comes with the extra baggage that religion applies to such beliefs. But then, I can't see how it's possible to have one without the other. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm mostly with you guys but then when you start talking about a mental virus...

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm mostly with you guys but then when you start talking about a mental virus...

Yeah I don't like that virus reference either. But, hey, wofly as a rationalist, you should be aware that whether you like the sound of something or not has no bearing on it being true or false.:) So, um yeah it could very possibly be a virus, but I think even if it is we should never actually mention it.;)

Malty_T wrote: »
    I personally see no problem with a God belief.

Neither do I... per se. There is very little wrong with thinking there is a god, or being superstitious in other ways this is true.

The entire conversation really only starts for most of us around how and where those beliefs are applied, and that can be a problem both inside and independent of organized religion.

There is, for example, nothing wrong with someone thinking touching wood once a day staves off cancer. If that person however finds a lump but decides it is not cancer because of all the wood, and so does not go to a doctor then that belief has suddenly become a problem.

There is nothing, for example again, wrong with thinking angels sometimes talk to us. If a person suddenly starts hearing voices however and does not seek medical advice but instead not only listens to those voices but grants them the authority that comes with divine credence, then as we can see from all the murder cases where “the voices made me do it” this becomes a problem.

There is nothing wrong with thinking there is a god either, but application of that believe individually and as part of organized religion has causes no end of torment and problems. Politically, in education, in medicine, in science and more. From the parents who watched their child die of very much treatable diabetes because god frowned on the treatment… to the people who would edit our school curriculum to reflect a 6000 year old earth… to the people who speak out against stem cell research because god puts the soul into the zygote at conception… to the people who hold hatred or bias against people of a different sexuality solely because they feel their god frowns on the practice… to people who are conned out of time and money to avoid threats of hellfire…. It all too often is not simply a case of thinking there is a god but how that thought is used and applied.

It sometimes genuinely matters what people believe, and it genuinely matters how we decide to approach those beliefs. In my view pointing out how wrong those beliefs are, and how unsubstantiated, is one of the many correct ways to approach the issue.

As one man better than I once put it “Believing in god does not make some people as happy as you think it might…. No they can not be happy until they make all of us believe it too”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I like the virus analogy, it's very fitting! Started off locally, spread like wild fire, killed indiscriminately and left a lot of survivors in a bad way. It's a global pandemic - if only there were little bottles of gel you could buy to help fend it off!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Anyone see Morgan Freeman's 'Through the Wormhole' that was on Discovery last night? May have been a repeat but I thought the surfer guy who thinks he has a unified theory of everything was quite interesting. I'd not heard of it before. He uses a load of circles perpendicular to each other and loads of maths to try to explain gravity particles and even hints at other particles that have not been discovered.
    It kind of reminded me of Mendeleev who came up with the periodic table format that had blanks in it at the time because the elements just hadn't been discovered by then.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Mendeleev

Anyway, the surfer guy is atheist and feels if his theory is right and the explanation for all the forces in nature can be summed up in equations it show that there is no God as why would something more much complex (God) create something so simple? That was his reasoning.

So, um yeah it could very possibly be a virus, but I think even if it is we should never actually mention it.;)

It is worth mentioning for a few reasons. The main one is that if you want to study anything, the first step is to understand what it is. If it is a kind of mental virus then we need to explore that and understand if it is, or any study of religion is likely to fail from the outset.

Consider it analogous to a doctor and a patient. If the doctor does not know what the problem is, how can he study, diagnose and treat it? The one symptom could be of a LACK in something the patient should have (a vitamin or mineral say) or the PRESENCE of something they should not have (virus or bacteria).

Clearly vitamins will not treat a virus and anti biotics will not cure a mineral deficiency.

Viruses are just tiny pieces of barely alive information that have evolved to exploit aspects of the human condition to their own “ends” which is simply and solely to reproduce copies of themselves. Often a virus will cause a seemingly inexplicable expenditure of energy in the host. Why for example in a field do we sometimes see ants trying to climb and climb a blade of grass? It keeps falling but it keeps trying. There is a massive use of energy here, with seemingly no benefit, and eventually the ant even gets eaten in the vulnerable position on the grass.

The reason is it is just a fluke. A lancet fluke, which is using the ant to get into the cows that eat the grass. The fluke does this for no reason other than to get itself reproduced.

The idea there is a god too is just an idea, and one that no one appears able to substantiate in even the smallest way. It is just some information and it also causes massive expenditure of time money and energy in the host. It has done for much of our history. It too can be seen as a piece of information that simply exploits aspects of our mind (such as our evolved “intentional stance” to name but one of many human attributes) to cause us to produce copies of it and pass them on to other hosts.

Therefore, like the term “virus” or not, it is not an entirely inaccurate analogy and label to use.

iamstop wrote: »
    Anyone see Morgan Freeman's 'Through the Wormhole' that was on Discovery last night? .

I saw a couple of them over the weekend, they were quite good and morgans voice is quite hypnotic to boot!
    I liked the bit about the possibility that we are in fact in a computer simulation, he argues that basically when you look at anything closely enough it is digital in nature and therefore likely to be artificial! The theory goes that there is a creator but he's probably a geek in a futuristic basement playing with his computer.
    I had this picture of an 18 year old "god" making the universe whilst cursing his internet connection and waiting for some interactive holographic orgy to load from future redtube:D

I liked the bit about the possibility that we are in fact in a computer simulation, he argues that basically when you look at anything closely enough it is digital in nature and therefore likely to be artificial! The theory goes that there is a creator but he's probably a geek in a futuristic basement playing with his computer.
    I had this picture of an 18 year old "god" making the universe whilst cursing his internet connection and waiting for some interactive holographic orgy to load from future redtube:D

There have been some fun ideas put out there involving creators that have absolutely no idea that we are here. That the universe was formed by such creator(s) for a different purpose. For example the universe seems to create black holes pretty efficiently… maybe this universe is a black hole making machine, and we are just an unexpected byproduct such as the bacteria on our planet which have recently evolved to feed on clothing polymers that were not invented 100 years ago.

There is also no reason to think that time goes the same for us as it would for such creator(s). Picture the people at CERN right now trying to make singularities. If we create one and record it’s existence for a mere split second, how are we to know that an entire universe did not live, expand and die in that time? Our own universe with it’s billions upon billions of years of age, might just be a failed 1 second CERN experiment for someone else, somewhere else. Perhaps in a split second of success at our CERN we were entirely unaware of the rise and fall of entire civilizations that built religions on the existence of CERN scientists.

The crux of those postulations Is that the creator(s) are entirely oblivious to our existence. Of course such postulations may be fun, but have no evidence or credence. They also do not answer any questions as the same questions we ask now about where we all came from would still have to be asked of them and their universe. But such places do our minds like to go when we give them free reign. They are infinitely more interesting however than the arrogance and narcissism involved in thinking that this entire universe, with all it's size, age and complexity was created for US and that the creator entity loves each one of us individually and listens to our prayers and obsesses over who we have sex with and in what positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I saw a couple of them over the weekend, they were quite good and morgans voice is quite hypnotic to boot!
    I liked the recent one where an anaesthesiologist is now saying the human brain is in fact a quantum computer that could use space outside the brain for extra computational power and giving us that link to the universe we're sure we feel we have.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I liked the recent one where an anaesthesiologist is now saying the human brain is in fact a quantum computer that could use space outside the brain for extra computational power and giving us that link to the universe we're sure we feel we have.

Well if he used the word Quantum it MUST be true. Everyone knows when people like... say.... Deepak Chopra use the word Quantum it is because it is all true. :p I am still waiting for Quantum Homeopathy. That stuff will work where normal Homeopathy does not.

Did anyone catch the one with the "god helmet"
    It's basically a motorbike helmet with an electromagnet tuned to directly stimulate a certain section of the brain. Basically this guy can flick a switch and make people experience a presence, the girl they showed in the programme said there were 6 or 7 beings in the room with her!
    It's fascinating stuff, are they actually there but we just lack the senses to percieve them, or is it all just a trick of the mind?
    Still no one is even close to knowing what our mind actually is, reality could be quite literally anything. We could be in some vast cosmic creation or we could be on a usb stick! "God" if there is one, could be anything or anyone, however i personally find the idea of some master being, guiding and monitoring to be absolutely ridiculous.

Was the guy with the helmet Indian with a super cool accent by any chance? It sounds like some work done by a guy I have a lot of time for.

No that's not him, it was an american.
    I seen the indian guy before on TED talks though, he's very good.

Yea one of my intellectual heros of late. I think I have watched everything he has on You tube and my next Book list (I buy books in batches) includes everything he has written. His work is just massively interesting.

The reason I mentioned him in the context of the god helmet is that one of his discoveries is very interesting. He discovered that some people after brain damage seem perfectly ok in ALL ways except that suddenly they think… for example… that someone has replaced their mother with an imposter mother.

Upon further study he discovered that we have a part of our brain dedicated solely to attributing importance to certain people, places and objects. Sometimes damage can severe the link between that area and some thing of importance to us.

So the patient is looking at their mother and thinking “This looks and sounds right… but that is not my mother” and the reason is that they are not feeling the familiar feelings of importance, relevance and closeness associated with the mother. For want of a better word the "connection" between the patient and their mum was lost.

He further discovered that certain drugs, experiences or magnetic interference of the god helmet type can cause links to be formed from that area to areas it should not be connected to. This explains why people under such influences suddenly feel they are connected to everything, everything is important, is is all joined together in “god” and all sorts of thoughts of that nature.

It is remarkably interesting stuff and explains a lot of the experiences of yogis and mystics when they come out of living in caves in solitude spouting how everything is important and connected and we are all connected in a united love and all this kind of thing.

I could waste hours of my life reading this guys papers on such things, let alone his you tube talks and now later his books.

Yea one of my intellectual heros of late. I think I have watched everything he has on You tube and my next Book list (I buy books in batches) includes everything he has written. His work is just massively interesting.

The reason I mentioned him in the context of the god helmet is that one of his discoveries is very interesting. He discovered that some people after brain damage seem perfectly ok in ALL ways except that suddenly they think… for example… that someone has replaced their mother with an imposter mother.

Upon further study he discovered that we have a part of our brain dedicated solely to attributing importance to certain people, places and objects. Sometimes damage can severe the link between that area and some thing of importance to us.

So the patient is looking at their mother and thinking “This looks and sounds right… but that is not my mother” and the reason is that they are not feeling the familiar feelings of importance, relevance and closeness associated with the mother. For want of a better word the "connection" between the patient and their mum was lost.

He further discovered that certain drugs, experiences or magnetic interference of the god helmet type can cause links to be formed from that area to areas it should not be connected to. This explains why people under such influences suddenly feel they are connected to everything, everything is important, is is all joined together in “god” and all sorts of thoughts of that nature.

It is remarkably interesting stuff and explains a lot of the experiences of yogis and mystics when they come out of living in caves in solitude spouting how everything is important and connected and we are all connected in a united love and all this kind of thing.

I could waste hours of my life reading this guys papers on such things, let alone his you tube talks and now later his books.

I hate then when a certain poster says things like human nature can't be explained by science when in fact that's exactly what it's doing!

Well if he used the word Quantum it MUST be true. Everyone knows when people like... say.... Deepak Chopra use the word Quantum it is because it is all true. :p I am still waiting for Quantum Homeopathy. That stuff will work where normal Homeopathy does not.

Believe it or not there is an entire journal dedicated to Quantum Homeopathy. I couldn't be arsed googling it but if you believe the internet every pseudo quackery belief has its roots in delocalisation.
    Newscientist had a hilarious article on it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I hate then when a certain poster says things like human nature can't be explained by science when in fact that's exactly what it's doing!

True. Especially when people are out there doing things like V.S. Ramachandran who is explaining exactly why art is beautiful to us. Or like Sam Harris who is measuring at the level of the brain what it actually means to "believe" things.

The idea that there is some kind disconnect between human nature and scientific inquiry really is fantasy. One that I guess is fueled by the human arrogant wish to be "special" and they think some how if we explain what it is to be human that it will take away from that specialness
    Believe it or not there is an entire journal dedicated to Quantum Homeopathy.

I so knew when I had my tounge in my cheek and I said that... that it would turn out it actually existed!

I was pretty sure it would be you who would point it out too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I so knew when I had my tounge in my cheek and I said that... that it would turn out it actually existed!

I was pretty sure it would be you who would point it out too :p

Maybe we need a Rule 34 for bull****...

Advertisement