Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Part of the bible suggest this. Other parts suggest faith is the only way to be saved. God doesn't seem too sure on his standards.

God is 100% sure. The ones who are not are those who do not interpret His word properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Freddie59 wrote: »
    God is 100% sure. The ones who are not are those who do not interpret His word properly.

How can you be sure of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Good grief. It's getting more and more difficult to squeeze your book into the gaps that science has left behind isn't it?
    "Research science" about Adam and Eve? Give me a break.

I'm talking about the opinion of Christian research scientists (some of whom I have spoken with) about the situation. Not that this is actually documented in papers.

In short, the Bible doesn't give any reason to rule out the existence of others alongside Adam and Eve, nor does the Bible give any reason to deny the theory of evolution as I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Well then Mr. Dawkins, i consider your beliefs ridiculous and stupid.
    See it works both ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

steddyeddy wrote: »
    that anyone witha different view of the world to mine is stupid or wrong.

I think you are entitled to an opinion, however, if you are saying the world is flat and it's not, and furthermore if you threaten Blasphemy if I try and point out to you that the world is in fact round ~ ?

I think stupid and wrong is only the start of it.

PSSST, I'll let you in on my little secret, I keep this to myself, but I don't believe than any sane man can believe in a divinity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dawkins is an excellent biologist and for many years I had no problem with him. Some of his milder interviews were he calls for evolution to be taught in school had me on his side but as the years went on and I read more of his books and seen his interviews he started to annoy me. Most of his books about biology are littered with digs at religion and those who practice it. Theres no need for that in a biology book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well then Mr. Dawkins, i consider your beliefs ridiculous and stupid.
    See it works both ways!
    I do not understand how atheism can be stupid - it's merely not believing in something which does not seem plausible to many. If you disagree with atheism simply because you believe in god, fair enough obviously, but I just cannot see what could be stupid about atheism.

gbee wrote: »
    I think you are entitled to an opinion, however, if you are saying the world is flat and it's not, and furthermore if you threaten Blasphemy if I try and point out to you that the world is in fact round ~ ?

I think stupid and wrong is only the start of it.

PSSST, I'll let you in on my little secret, I keep this to myself, but I don't believe than any sane man can believe in a divinity.

Im not saying anything of the sort I am an agnostic myself but were we differ is the need to call people with different beliefs insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Im not saying anything of the sort I am an agnostic myself but were we differ is the need to call people with different beliefs insane.
    Why? If you believe the world is flat then I will call you an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

but were we differ is the need to call people with different beliefs insane.

I've no problem with different beliefs, if you start from the premise of a religion, then squabbling over it is wrong.

I just think they are ALL Nutts, equally.

My bottom line: You will never know what God says to me after I die!

• Advertisement

Why? If you believe the world is flat then I will call you an idiot.

There is a huge gaping gap between the question of whether or not the world is flat (verifiable) and God's existence (unverifiable). I think you know this full well but it is important to note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Dudess wrote: »
    It's christian to live and let live
    No it's not. It's Christian to tell the whole damn world how great it it is to be Christian and that they're going to hell if they don't believe

philologos wrote: »
    There is a huge gaping gap between the question of whether or not the world is flat (verifiable) and God's existence (unverifiable). I think you know this full well but it is important to note.
    Okay, if you believe in fairies then I will call you an idiot.

There, god and fairies, both unverifiable and one is as ridiculous as the other.

No it's not. It's Christian to tell the whole damn world how great it it is to be Christian and that they're going to hell if they don't believe

You mean it is Christian to care about those around you and their salvation by telling them about the Lord Jesus so that they might be saved?

How is that anything but considerate?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Dawkins is an excellent biologist and for many years I had no problem with him. Some of his milder interviews were he calls for evolution to be taught in school had me on his side but as the years went on and I read more of his books and seen his interviews he started to annoy me. Most of his books about biology are littered with digs at religion and those who practice it. Theres no need for that in a biology book.

Religionists really are a sensitive crew aren't they? If you don't like his books (and I for one don't) then just don't buy or read them. If people are so upset that someone dares to doubt the authenticity of their favourite god (and I get that you probably aren't upset about this bit) then why would they read anything written by a guy who wrote "The God Delusion"? Dawkins has the right to include any content he wants into any book he writes. You have the right not to read it.You don't get to decide what there's a "need" for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When something is unverifiable it has no real impact on our world so it is as a good as nonexistant.

Okay, if you believe in fairies then I will call you an idiot.

There, god and fairies, both unverifiable and one is as ridiculous as the other.

Im a scientist myself and in response to claims made by people be they god or whatever the correct scientific standpoint is "we dont know" it is most certainly not to call people an idiot. You ask someone to explain their conviction at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

You mean it is Christian to care about those around you and their salvation by telling them about the Lord Jesus so that they might be saved?

To you and everyone who calls to my door to talk to me about Jesus, it's considerate. To others, it's a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily agree. I know many people (who are not Mass-goers or believers) but who are very good people in their lives. I believe that there is a God that can say 'hey, you may not have acknowledged Me, but ya know what? I think you'll fit in well up here'.

Well that's good to know! I can ditch Pacal now!:D

But then, are you really a Christian believer. Because, nice and all as it is, none of what you just wrote is based on the Bible.
    That is what life is about. Do good when you can; help others; and be discreet about it. But Einhard, one thing I do note is that if you compare both of us, you are full of vitriol, suspicion, (might I even say hatred) for we Catholics/Christians/believers of all faiths.

Me full of vitriol? I don't think so. Perhaps you could point out a few examples? I have nothing at all against religion or the religious- indeed, I happen to think that, regardless of whether it is based on reality or not, faith has many positive aspects to it. I'd never set out to denigrate someone's faith, or to shatter someone's belief unncecessarily.

You cast God down without a second thought.

Not true at all. I believed in God until my late teens, and continued to pray etc for a few years after that, even though I knew I was deluding myself. I Don't think you can possibly know whether I have doubts or not.
    You question existence (nothing wrong with that) but you do not seem content. It shows in your posts.

Wow, you deduced all that about me fro my posts? Who needs tea lives?!:pac:

Meh, I'm quite content.
    Matthew23 wrote: »
    well i mean people like dawkins who are just starting to come out now they are new. but god is forever

Mat23

People like Dawkins were always there. The reason you're seeing more of him, and us, is because previously, we'd be liable for a burning, or at least ostracism if we were open.

I think one has to look at it from dawkin's perspective too. He's written about biology and evolution for years, about things that are almost universally accepted within the scientific community. Then, he goes to America, and he's dismissed by people whose refutation of evolution amounts to pointing out that a banana fits in a man's hand. Not only that, but he sees such people ascend to ever greater positions of power in America, and elsewhere, and sees a steady creep of religious extremism into public, civil, and educational discourse, and threaten to strangle all empiricism in the classrooms. I sometimes disagree with the way he goes about things; I sometimes agree, and I always get a laugh at the exasperation that he can't quite hide- but I do understand why he is more anti-religion than me.

Religionists really are a sensitive crew aren't they? If you don't like his books (and I for one don't) then just don't buy or read them. If people are so upset that someone dares to doubt the authenticity of their favourite god (and I get that you probably aren't upset about this bit) then why would they read anything written by a guy who wrote "The God Delusion"? Dawkins has the right to include any content he wants into any book he writes. You have the right not to read it.You don't get to decide what there's a "need" for.

For the last time im an atheist/agnostic/biologist!

• Advertisement

Im a scientist myself and in response to claims made by people be they god or whatever the correct scientific standpoint is "we dont know" it is most certainly not to call people an idiot. You ask someone to explain their conviction at least.
    Well I'm not a scientist, so yeah, you're an idiot if you believe in fairies.

Well I'm not a scientist, so yeah, you're an idiot if you believe in fairies.

Well at least you agree that yours is not a scientific aproach.

Well at least you agree that yours is not a scientific aproach.
    With regards to fairies, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It depends. What about people that believe in creation, noahs arc, scientologists, mormons? There's plenty of idiotic beliefs out there. If you truely believe them, someone calling you an idiot shouldn't make a difference.
    Like if a creationist calling me an idiot for believing in evolution wouldn't bother me at all.

To you and everyone who calls to my door to talk to me about Jesus, it's considerate. To others, it's a pain in the arse

I've never gone door to door, but it is something that has come up in conversation with friends a lot (mostly on their impetus rather than mine). At least I can be sure that they know what I think and that they know that I desire for all people to know God and perhaps at some point in their lives some might see why it is important.

Some people I know have made that step and have decided to follow Jesus. Others need time to mull it over. Others just reject it.
    When something is unverifiable it has no real impact on our world so it is as a good as nonexistant.

I believe that people can find God and know Him and that He indeed does work in peoples lives right here right now in the 21st century world just as He did at Creation.

My unverifiable, I mean that one cannot prove or disprove His existence, much as one can't prove a whole rake of things given that proof lies solely in the realm of mathematics.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Like if a creationist calling me an idiot for believing in evolution wouldn't bother me at all.

How many Young Earth Creationists do you know? I know a few and I think that their thinking on Creation is misguided, but I know for a fact that in the vast majority of cases that they aren't idiots and that in the vast majority of cases they are civil about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I believe that people can find God and know Him and that He indeed does work in peoples lives right here right now in the 21st century world just as He did at Creation.

I don't care that you believe in supernatural beings. Why are you telling me?
    I mean that one cannot prove or disprove His existence, much as one can't prove a whole rake of things given that proof lies solely in the realm of mathematics.

If entities such as those that you believe in are verified then they will conform to scientific parameters and will then ,therefore, not be 'gods' anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Many of the claims of religion are completely at odds with what we do know; the correct scientific standpoint on them is that they are false.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

My unverifiable, I mean that one cannot prove or disprove His existence, much as one can't prove a whole rake of things given that proof lies solely in the realm of mathematics.

Nonsense.

There are various standards of proof. Using any legal standard and applying it to the 'god' question, the answer is clear.

There is no god. And it can and has been 'proved'.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

So when atheists air their views they've gone too far but when a christian does it it's considerate?

Can you see where this gets tough for me to follow?

• Advertisement

If such an entities that you believe in are verified then they cease to conform to scientific parameters and are therefore not 'gods' anymore.

Absolute tosh. You claim that God has no real impact, therefore He doesn't?

He clearly does have an impact in peoples lives whether you believe that God is just a mere concept or a living Saviour.

That's as real an impact as you're going to get. Although, I do believe the biggest impact that God has had is that we are actually here in the first place. Also, if the laws of the universe are themselves a product of God's creation, why do you expect Him to be scrutinized by what He has made? That sounds perfectly illogical to me.

Advertisement