Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Loadouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Currently putting together a nam kit. Not 100% accurate as i'll be using my Bar 10.

List so far...(All from SOF)

M56 ammo pouch X2 : £30
    M56 Belt, holster, pistol mag puch: £50
    M56 Canteen carrier : £13
    3rd pattern Jungle uniform(jacket and pants): £60
    Jungle boots :£35
    1st aircav badge X2 :£10
    Namtape :£3

Grand total of 200 pound for a pretty decent nam loadout. :) Won't be wearing ranks (personal thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

They only wore the first cav patch on one arm.... the right shoulder.

If you want authentic grunt, you dont want any patches really... they tended to get dropped uniforms at firebases and not have anything specific on them...

if you do, get an unbordered one, not a cheapo big border patch that will stand prominent.

As for the ranks thing... its less issue with historical loadouts, as its authenticity, rather than walting. Though typically field units, and anyone upto and including NCOs didnt wear insignia anyway, same as the unit patches deal on uniforms. They didn;t wear the sames ones that often unlike REMF units.

Firekitten wrote: »
    They only wore the first cav patch on one arm.... the right shoulder.

If you want authentic grunt, you dont want any patches really... they tended to get dropped uniforms at firebases and not have anything specific on them...

if you do, get an unbordered one, not a cheapo big border patch that will stand prominent.

As for the ranks thing... its less issue with historical loadouts, as its authenticity, rather than walting. Though typically field units, and anyone upto and including NCOs didnt wear insignia anyway, same as the unit patches deal on uniforms. They didn;t wear the sames ones that often unlike REMF units.

The Aircav patch comes with two. :)

While i know that it acceptable to wear ranks with a historic loadout, im just an airsofter at the end of the day. Not a reenactor. Wouldn't feel right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    My friend has an m14 and I couldn't get one unless I was doing a DMR thing. Too big and awkward.

Just like your friend! :D

Sorry, I'm waaay late to this thread, but I couldn't resist!

Has anyone seen the Glider-borne British Commandos from WW2?

I love me some Sten gun

swiftblade wrote: »
    The Aircav patch comes with two. :)

While i know that it acceptable to wear ranks with a historic loadout, im just an airsofter at the end of the day. Not a reenactor. Wouldn't feel right :)
    They still only wear one... trust me.
    Keggers2 wrote: »
    Just like your friend! :D

Sorry, I'm waaay late to this thread, but I couldn't resist!

Has anyone seen the Glider-borne British Commandos from WW2?

I love me some Sten gun
    Sten is fun :D

Also works for LRRP vietnam loadouts :P (they did use them)

Glider troops are basically the same thing as brit airbourne kitwise, just different patches.

• Advertisement

They still only wear one... trust me.

Sten is fun :D

Also works for LRRP vietnam loadouts :P (they did use them)

Glider troops are basically the same thing as brit airbourne kitwise, just different patches.

I had NOO idea there were any stens in Nam! That just made my day a little bit better!

On the topic of historical loadouts in general, this thread got me thinking about something. Why do we always look to the real world when putting together a load out? Why don't we ever look at Sci-Fi and go 'yenno, that would look really good on the skirmish field!'

And I'm not talking about 'oh look, I used patt 70 webbing when recreating a G.I. from circa 1964, how out there am I?' I'm talking mofoin alien hunting Colonial Marines!

Expense is one argument but I've seen people pour hundreds of euro into perfectly recreating Screaming Eagles from WW2!

And it's commonplace to see M14's standing in for Garands so who says a G36 can't be an M41 Pulse rifle?

I mean at the end of the day 90% of us enjoy getting geared up as soldiers, but why is it always soldiers of the past and not the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

plenty of airsoft based on scifi but as with historical airsoft there is not much of it in ireland

have a look in the sci fi section of arnies to start http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=227 , everything from movies to game, seen stargate, firefly * infact i only came across a firefly event advertised last week, aliens for example

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I had NOO idea there were any stens in Nam! That just made my day a little bit better!

Stens, thompsons, BARs, M1 Garands, Mosin Nagants, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ec.
    And it's commonplace to see M14's standing in for Garands so who says a G36 can't be an M41 Pulse rifle?

Me.

M41A%20Pulse%20Rifle.jpg

then again modern warfare impressions would come under that section so it could be one of the most common areas in ireland when i think about it ...

Puding wrote: »
    plenty of airsoft based on scifi but as with historical airsoft there is not much of it in ireland

have a look in the sci fi section of arnies to start http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=227 , everything from movies to game, seen stargate, firefly * infact i only came across a firefly event advertised last week, aliens for example

Aaaaand now I feel a wee bit on the stupid side! :pac:

Thanks though!

• Advertisement

Aaaaand now I feel a wee bit on the stupid side! :pac:

Thanks though!

its just something that does not come up in the republic , i would not say your stupid for not knowing about it :)

I wasn't doubting you about the Aircav patch, Firekitten (sorry if it came off that way). I just ment I had to order 2. the don't do singles :)

Lemming wrote: »
    Stens, thompsons, BARs, M1 Garands, Mosin Nagants, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ec.

Me.

M41A%20Pulse%20Rifle.jpg

You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now, no idea what so ever. :P
    Puding wrote: »
    its just something that does not come up in the republic , i would not say your stupid for not knowing about it :)

Stupid Silly might be a better word :P

I mean at the end of the day 90% of us enjoy getting geared up as soldiers, but why is it always soldiers of the past and not the future?
    I'll let you know when my mass effect shepard N7 armour is finished :P

Plenty of scifi airsoft around, Ireland is just too obsessed with multispam and magparp to notice.

I'll let you know when my mass effect shepard N7 armour is finished :P

Plenty of scifi airsoft around, Ireland is just too obsessed with multispam and magparp to notice.

Pics or it didn't happen! :P

I'm starting see this now!

But like don't get me wrong, the next themed loadout I'm gonna do is prooobably gonna be Vietnam Air Cav but I think I'm gonna have to start putting together something a little more... futuristic on the shly!

Back on topic, what Nam Ear loadout is the most cost effective in regards to price vs accuracy?

Aircav/sas/sog/lrrp guy in the shower loadout is cheapest....

nam is expensive... Cheapest is probably vc... us stuff is spensives to do right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Aircav/sas/sog/lrrp guy in the shower loadout is cheapest....

nam is expensive... Cheapest is probably vc... us stuff is spensives to do right.

I'm temted to make an OldSpice Loadout (Horse Included)

Only people that LOOK as good as that man can do that loadout. If they do not, you are banished to full coverage.

Elitist? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Only people that LOOK as good as that man can do that loadout. If they do not, you are banished to full coverage.

Elitist? Yes please.

;) Already bought a towel and the Horse

magparp

A new term has just been coined :pac:

• Advertisement

;) Already bought a towel and the Horse
    I said fit guys only please. You're too young to perv at.

Back on topic, what Nam Ear loadout is the most cost effective in regards to price vs accuracy?

Personally I think you're approaching this with the wrong attitude. It's not a case of cost effectiveness regards price vs. accuracy. Either accept that you are only going to do a "likeness" or take the longer term view of building up incrementally over time. Most people who get into the historical side of things tend to adopt the latter attitude. Nothing wrong with the former either if you want to jump in and not feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb at an event/game.

Cheapest 'likeness' to carry out is VC or a very cut down US infantry look. For example;

Viet Cong
    • Black Pyjamas/Trousers/BDUs with cargo pockets removed
    • Bandana, wide/floppy-brimmed plain boonie hat/Rice Hat
    • Chinese Chiccom chest rig (£15 on airsoft world) or a plain satchel
    • Pair of retro canvas, rubber soled crappy runners/boots like you pick up down the back of Dunnes Stores for a €5 (or an old pair of black converse with the white toe'cap' painted over and the logos too)
    • Suitable AEG; AK47, Type-56, bolt action rifle, etc.

US Infantry man (stripped down albeit)
    • Plain OD fatigues (not modern cut; i.e. NO VELCRO BITS, built in knee/elbow pads, etc.). You can pick up Vietnam-era replica cut fatigue sets off ebay for about €50
    • Old-style webbing belt. Stuff like canvas or leather holsters (for m1911 or revolvers ONLY), water bottles, etc. is optional.
    • Black boots
    • OD boonie hat or OD bandana. M1 helmet w/Mitchel-Leaf cover (real or repro; your choice but I'm listing it as optional to cut price down)
    • Bandolier for ammo (will need to get m16 magazines; m4 type are too large); carried slung over torso.
    • Suitable AEG with m16 magazines.

Obviously the above US look is missing a few things, but that's the basic "look" covered to make you identifiable as trying to do a Vietnam impression

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

ODST load-out for the win!
    xXx

ODST load-out for the win!
    xXx

Meh.

Either turn up looking like Adam Baldwin in Full Metal Jacket (i.e. 'Animal Mother', or a CMC Colonial Marine from Aliens. People will take hits out of respect :p

Lemming wrote: »
    Personally I think you're approaching this with the wrong attitude. It's not a case of cost effectiveness regards price vs. accuracy. Either accept that you are only going to do a "likeness" or take the longer term view of building up incrementally over time. Most people who get into the historical side of things tend to adopt the latter attitude. Nothing wrong with the former either if you want to jump in and not feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb at an event/game.

Cheapest 'likeness' to carry out is VC or a very cut down US infantry look. For example;

Viet Cong
    • Black Pyjamas/Trousers/BDUs with cargo pockets removed
    • Bandana, wide/floppy-brimmed plain boonie hat/Rice Hat
    • Chinese Chiccom chest rig (£15 on airsoft world) or a plain satchel
    • Pair of retro canvas, rubber soled crappy runners/boots like you pick up down the back of Dunnes Stores for a €5 (or an old pair of black converse with the white toe'cap' painted over and the logos too)
    • Suitable AEG; AK47, Type-56, bolt action rifle, etc.

US Infantry man (stripped down albeit)
    • Plain OD fatigues (not modern cut; i.e. NO VELCRO BITS, built in knee/elbow pads, etc.). You can pick up Vietnam-era replica cut fatigue sets off ebay for about €50
    • Old-style webbing belt. Stuff like canvas or leather holsters (for m1911 or revolvers ONLY), water bottles, etc. is optional.
    • Black boots
    • OD boonie hat or OD bandana. M1 helmet w/Mitchel-Leaf cover (real or repro; your choice but I'm listing it as optional to cut price down)
    • Bandolier for ammo (will need to get m16 magazines; m4 type are too large); carried slung over torso.
    • Suitable AEG with m16 magazines.

Obviously the above US look is missing a few things, but that's the basic "look" covered to make you identifiable as trying to do a Vietnam impression

Again that came out wrong on my part, I meant more along the 'likeness' approach, in the beginning at least, and building upon it. Mainly because I've got so many other outgoings atm but am also reeeally enthusiastic about doing a historical (ooor Sci-Fi :P) loadout. I've already got me an M14 (which I know were ditched very early on) but I think would do quite nicely till I find an affordable (or find the money for) an M16A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

Necro-posting! This was a damn-good thread. I'm not trying to be a pain but I don't think it really ended properly. I've still yet to start a loadout!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Again that came out wrong on my part, I meant more along the 'likeness' approach, in the beginning at least, and building upon it. Mainly because I've got so many other outgoings atm but am also reeeally enthusiastic about doing a historical (ooor Sci-Fi :P) loadout. I've already got me an M14 (which I know were ditched very early on) but I think would do quite nicely till I find an affordable (or find the money for) an M16A1.

agreed...you need to start small for example and work your way up.

example below , hats/pants/shirt can all be added later on
    full-metal-jacket1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

watched that earlier 1 of my favorite war films

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    agreed...you need to start small for example and work your way up.

example below , hats/pants/shirt can all be added later on
    full-metal-jacket1.jpg

Might be hard to get away with in our climate:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I'm temted to make an OldSpice Loadout (Horse Included)

from what im led to believe theres a few horses in fingal, that should help.

Advertisement