Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Today's Joe Duffy Show dealt with PBs - I only heard the end of it, but the An Post PR person didn't know that the Tracker was being removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I won 3x €50 prizes over 2023.

Just got a notification that I won 3x €75 prizes in todays draw.

Good start to the year😃

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭willycat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I think about €35K. so it was an excellent day. From 3 different small blocks of shares.

Post edited by scotchy on

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Listened to it earlier. How on earth do people listen to that drivel day after day. It’s excruciating. And the host continuously stirring it with populist “clickbate” nonsense trying to hint at scandal and conspiracy

The PR person from A Post was actually very poor.

host: How many prize bonds are there, Anna

Anna: A lot Joe, there must be an awful lot. A huge number.

Not to mention not knowing about the removal of the tracker. And mentioning the “money laundering boffins” ffs

Par for the course, sadly.

Woefully uninformed spokesperson, how she got the job in the first place is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭John arse

1 X €75 in December on €70k,A total of €200 winnings in 2023. I had €170k in holdings until the end of June-Down to €70k from then on.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I feel dumber after listening to Joe Duffy.

What frustrates me is they won't release numbers and if someone wins they won't tell us how many prize bonds that person had.

In the UK there are calculators that tell you just how crazy you are for having invested in the premium bonds. https://premiumbondsprizes.com/#10000

Maybe they know if they told us the stats it would put people well off it.

The real stats would discourage the faint hearted.

How about 752million to 1 odds to win the €500k or €50k prize, or 80,000:1 to win €75.00 any week. Or that statistically you’d have to invest about €10,000 to get close to 1:1 over a year to win a prize which is most likely to be €75.00, but then again you mightn’t win anything.

The bond fund stands at about €4.7 billion and the prize fund pays just 1% over the year. The number and value of prizes has been dropping for the past 8 months which means that the bond fund is also dropping. There was an increase in October when the payout went up to 1%, but the fund keeps shrinking. The NTMA manage all state borrowing, in the form of bonds on the money market and pay these bond holders about 3% sometimes more. Why can’t they pay PB holders more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You posted the same complaint last August. It does seem to be painful for you, but you will just have to live with it.

"The Premium bonds service in the UK anonymise the data and tell you exactly what the bond win was and the amount held! Argh!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Oh sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to state something twice. Jog on.

I was surprised to see an envelope from Killarney today, because I had no winners on Friday 19th. It is a letter from Prize Bonds explaining why some of my bonds were not on my register. I did not ask for any explanation when I sent in my list.

Date 19th January 2024

Our Ref: xxx

When contacting this office please quote our reference.

Dear..

Thank you for your request to Add Holdings to State Savings Online.

On checking our records, we note the Prize Bond numbers provided on your request did not have any unique identifiers provided at the time of purchase e.g. DOB, PPSN etc., therefore were not displayed on the Prize Bonds portfolio of your State Savings Online.

We are pleased to confirm we have verified the details and updated your online Prize Bond portfolio accordingly.

The next time you log on to your State Savings Online these holdings will be visible.

We trust this information is to your satisfaction, however, if you have any questions or would like more information, please do not hesitate to call the State Savings Team on 0818 20 50 60 (or 01 705 7200)

Yours sincerely

(handwritten signature)

Prize Bond Company DAC

I never noticed it before, but The Prize Bonds Company DAC is in their letterhead. I had to look up what it means.

What is a DAC Company in Ireland? An Irish Designated Activity Company (DAC) is a type of limited company that outlines and defines its specific business activities within its constitution. A DAC company may be incorporated for a specific purpose such as a charity or a management company where the shareholders require the capacity of the company to be clearly defined. This company type was introduced by the New Companies Act 2014, on 1st June 2015. Under this New Companies Act 2014, all private limited companies are required to register as either an LTD or DAC.

I did not spend much time trying to figure out what happened. IR£15 in old bonds were missing, also a €100 bond I won in a draw. My €10K purchase in 2006 was on the list, but not two bigger ones from 2009 and 2010. I can't see how that could have happened, but I am not worried about it. I think they generated the reinvestment bonds which were missing. Certainly that happened on 06 October 2023 where one of those batches won €150. I obviously got that bond in the post, but it was missing off my register. Another batch won €75 in that draw and it was on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 26th January 2024: €0

Last win 7th July 2023: €50

Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3300

2011: €75 x 4 = €300

2012: €75 x 6 = €450

2013: €50 x 12 = €600

2014: €50 x 9 = €450

2015: €50 x 5 = €250

2016: €50 x 5 = €250

2017: €50 x 4 = €200

2018: €50 x 2 = €100

2019: €50 x 6 = €300

2020: €50 x 5 = €250

2021: €50 x 1 = €50

2022: €50 x 1 = €50

2023: €50 x 1 = €50

2024: €0 x 0 = €0

Nothing for me today, and a completely dry January.

January count. The same 11 million bonds BFF to BFP in each of the 4 draws. Not including €500 for BFO 5th, €500 & €1K BFL and 3 x €1K BFM 12th, and €500 BFN 19th.

Friday 05. 138 prizes. Highest BFK 18. Lowest BFL 7.

Friday 12. 143. BFG 18. BFI 8.

Friday 19. 124. BFJ 17. BFF 7.

Friday 26. 137. BFJ 20. BFI 8.

Highest overall BFJ 64 (11,16,17,20). Lowest BFI 38 (10,8,12,8) and BFL 38 (7,11,11,9).

44 million bonds on 542 prizes, average per million 12.318. x 52 x €75 = €48,041.91. Divided by 62.5 to get what €100K would win in a year with the same luck = €768.65. Nearest to 10 x €75.

€75 for me today, rounding out a respectable month, 6 x €75 in total. At least one win every week, which is a first !

What numbers are you on about ? As @dxhound2005 and @POBox19 show week after week, there are plenty of stats available to make informed decisions, and the annual reports are available online and show the expenses etc for anybody that wants to monitor governance. The Premium Bond calculator you list is provided by a third party and there is a calculator available for Irish Prize bonds (in spreadsheet format) which does the exact same thing. I've posted the link on numerous occasions. Wanting to know who won and how much they have invested is irrelevant, and just because the Brits are doing it is hardly a good reason to follow on. And in any event, the operators of Prize Bonds have very limited scope for publicising win/winner details as confidentiality is mandated in the governing legislation.

All the stats needed to make investment decisions are available for those who are willing to put some time and effort into them. It's the same as any other bond or asset class - you do your homework and make your decisions. Nobody hands it to you on a plate.

That's a standard letter, I've seen about 5 or 6 of them come through for different folk, all with the same text, all signed by the same person.

It does concern me in that executors frequently write to State Savings and Prize Bonds to enquire if the deceased had any holdings. If their miss rate is running at 30% then that is indeed worrying. If they are blaming the absence of DOB and PPS then they need to get working on a plan to remediate their database but of course that would require professionalism and effort which would be asking too much.

Kildare Nationalist.

LUCKY KILDARE PRIZE BOND HOLDER WINS €500K!

FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2024

A lucky Kildare person got the best dose for the January blues winning the monthly prize bond star prize of €500,000! The wining prize bond number APK 548408 was held in County Kildare and purchased in 2019.

The weekly prize of €50,000 goes to prize bond number AQA 967234 held in County Dublin. The bond was purchased in 2019. There were over 9,365 prizes awarded in this week’s Prize Bond Draw, amounting to over €1,279,225.

nothing here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing here either. So after a disappointing year last year and a return of 0.12% I decided it was time to wake up and stop flogging a dead horse. I still had a significant 6 figure sum in prize bonds and was hoping every week for some return, but alas ,no joy. I did have 1 €75 win on 1st of December but nothing since. So sent in my withdrawal notice yesterday and will leave a much smaller amount in just for hope,but no expectations. Best of luck to you all and will still be following the thread here in the hope of some of you faithful bond holders have a big win in the future.

My return for 2023 was 0.17% for the draws in the first 9 months, and 1% in the last 3. Very slow start to the year with just 2 wins in the first half. My return since the €75 prizes came in was boosted by getting 3 x €75 in the first week.

Overall my return was €50 under the expected average. Using 0.27% for the €50 prizes and 0.76% for the €75's. Those are roughly the real world percentages produced by my monthly counts.

My returns:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Your % win rate seems way ahead of mine (0.3% for all of 2023) and most others here! What's your secret?😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭John arse

Nothing in January on 70k.

Given that the PB rate is 1% you are way ahead of the game for 2024.

Not really. Based on the current nominal 1% interest rate, the expected rate of return is .8% when the larger prizes (which you have close to zero chance of winning) are excluded. I'm ahead now, but this will even out over time. The previous nominal rate of .35% had an expected return of .25% approx when the larger prizes were excluded. Over the last 6/7 years my return has generally been in line with the expected rate, with the exception of 2021 when things when completely haywire in the aftermath of that year's January interest rate reduction and the rate I received was less then half what I expected, and 2023 when I was slightly ahead overall.

.3% here Feb 2023 - Jan 2024 - very disappointing

Another Red Notice.

31st January 2024: The State Savings website will be offline this evening from 18:00 for scheduled maintenance. We anticipate service will be restored by 20:00. If you need assistance or have any queries you can contact us at 0818 20 50 60 / 01 705 7200 (lines open Mon-Fri, 08.00 - 20.00). Thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience.

• Advertisement

It’s back. No change in rates and it’s as slow as ever.

Advertisement