Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You are right. Savings are not the way to go.
    If I had €100k, I would spend 90k on a country town house in the next few months and resell it in a few years. Investment garunteed to rise
    The other 10k I would get an MBA. That would pay in your salary.

Meanwhile the Govt are screwing up and printing money to cover themselves and diluting your cash value. Watch it all happen
    Genius, rural Irish property is so hot right now and sure to shoot up in the coming boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Thargor wrote: »
    Genius, rural Irish property is so hot right now and sure to shoot up in the coming boom.

I obviously would wait until after October. Check my posts I have been predicting this collapse at this time for the last two years and it had nothing to do with the Corona virus. Property will drop by one third at least. You will surely find a social welfare family to rent it long term.

5-7 years resell it again.

Houses are for living in, not financial instruments. Certainly not financial instruments with guaranteed profits.

You never said financial investment, you just asked what I would do with €100k.
    You got an answer with a guaranteed return.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

At the end of 2009 the Prize Bond fund was €1.073 billion. At the end of 2018 it was €3.415 billion. Probably getting on for €3.85 billion at present. There must be a lot of dumb people out there.

At the end of 2009 the Prize Bond fund was €1.073 billion. At the end of 2018 it was €3.415 billion. Probably getting on for €3.85 billion at present. There must be a lot of dumb people out there.

Dont I know!!! My sister in law thinks she is going back to work in a regional paper and refuses to see the writing on the wall and ignores advice to retrain. If I could get 6 of them in a crate and ship them, I could start a factory. The only people benefiting from that are fund manager who are riding that account on expenses and cant see the inevitable demise of An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Investment property and "guaranteed return". Funny.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Investment property and "guaranteed return". Funny.

WEll if you buy low at the trough of the property cycle and wait for it to rise...... while you earn money from rent in a market with a housing shortage and sell it again when the market rises....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

WEll if you buy low at the trough of the property cycle and wait for it to rise...... while you earn money from rent in a market with a housing shortage and sell it again when the market rises....

Funny, very funny....

You know if you buy cattle low and sell high, you'll do nicely as well,

Equities, same story and dividend while you wait....

Bonds.... buy low, sell high and coupons in the mean time...

Shame so many Irish buys failed to follow your advice in the past...

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Funny, very funny....

Shame so many Irish buys failed to follow your advice in the past...

90% of people shouldnt be buying stocks and shares. That is why they are the prey. They buy because it sounds cool or come to the party to late. That is why they are the "prey".

If you think you are fat on prize bonds you are mistaken. Most of the Irish people I know are either ignorant about money or conditioned by the Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I currently have money in a 10 year state savings bond. Could I also invest in prize bonds or can you only have one investment at a time.

• Advertisement

I currently have money in a 10 year state savings bond.

Now that is a more sensible investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Just wondering cause I seen it mentioned on this thread before years back if anyone ever proved that holding a large quantity of bonds in one lump as opposed to the same value of bonds divided in to two separate lumps ever actually proved to be more successfull.

Was thinking to invest a few more euro in bonds and the question just came into my head, whether people who had a lump sum in bonds already and wanted to invest more would then cash in there original bonds and then buy an even larger quantity of bonds (original bonds + new savings) or just invest in a second group of bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I currently have money in a 10 year state savings bond. Could I also invest in prize bonds or can you only have one investment at a time.

You can invest in both at the same time, and in other state savings products as well. Each Product has its own total investment limit. Details are available on www.statesavings.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

You are right. Savings are not the way to go.
    If I had €100k, I would spend 90k on a country town house in the next few months and resell it in a few years. Investment garunteed to rise
    The other 10k I would get an MBA. That would pay in your salary.

Meanwhile the Govt are screwing up and printing money to cover themselves and diluting your cash value. Watch it all happen

Two months and two weeks since we were last told that we were nuts/dumb/etc for holding prize bonds. How the world has changed in that time period, and how many are down significantly in their investments and how few are up. And we still have our capital.

People hold prize bonds for a whole host of reasons; house deposits, funds accumulated to pay taxes and other liabilities etc, part of a balanced portfolio, etc. etc. The same people may or may not hold Irish Property. This is an asset class which has burned a lot of people in the past and will do so again in the future. You are perfectly entitled to your view that this is the perfect time to invest in Irish property and you may well be right. ON the other hand judging by the recent developments in some of the major Irish property funds a lot of people who held/hold Irish Property disagree with you.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Two months and two weeks since we were last told that we were nuts/dumb/etc for holding prize bonds. How the world has changed in that time period, and how many are down significantly in their investments and how few are up. And we still have our capital.

People hold prize bonds for a whole host of reasons; house deposits, funds accumulated to pay taxes and other liabilities etc, part of a balanced portfolio, etc. etc. The same people may or may not hold Irish Property. This is an asset class which has burned a lot of people in the past and will do so again in the future. You are perfectly entitled to your view that this is the perfect time to invest in Irish property and you may well be right. ON the other hand judging by the recent developments in some of the major Irish property funds a lot of people who held/hold Irish Property disagree with you.

I think you need to walk it back a bit... the post you quoted should not be considered serious advice in the first place as far as I'm concerned!

And yes there are good reason why one would want to hold prize bonds... however as a long term investment strategy they are probable just as risky as property, if not more so.

So I would say, comparing they do is not really a thing.

Just out of interest I take a look at the monthly Premium Bonds results in the UK.

https://invezz.com/news/2020/05/02/nsi-may-2020-premium-bond-winners-announced/

This list shows that only two big wins went to the North in April/May

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/13635/premium-bonds-winners-have-i-won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

When and how often are the €1m Prize Bond draws held?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

When and how often are the €1m Prize Bond draws held?

June and December

https://www.statesavings.ie/help-support/help-articles/when-are-the-draws

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I think you need to walk it back a bit... the post you quoted should not be considered serious advice in the first place as far as I'm concerned!

And yes there are good reason why one would want to hold prize bonds... however as a long term investment strategy they are probable just as risky as property, if not more so.

So I would say, comparing they do is not really a thing.

can you elaborate on bold part? I can understand it's "losing" investment over time due to too low growth, but "as risky as property" - not sure what you were after here...

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    can you elaborate on bold part? I can understand it's "losing" investment over time due to too low growth, but "as risky as property" - not sure what you were after here...

Property can rise and fall, currency can only depreciate over the long term.

• Advertisement

Property can rise and fall, currency can only depreciate over the long term.

If someone owns their property outright (a bigger number in the last Census than those paying a mortgage), the market value of their property shouldn't make any difference to them. I for one have no intention of acquiring more properties for speculation purposes. Life is complicated enough without doing that.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/

I for one have no intention of acquiring more properties for speculation purposes. Life is complicated enough without doing that.

"There are only three profession you need in life:
    A good doctor, a forgiving priest and a clever accountant,
    I have had no need of the previous two."

It pays to have a smart accountant, they spot the tax loop holes and keep you from getting into trouble. A home is a house but a house isnt always necessarily your home. We are talking about investment. At the last recession some people who took the plunge in the darkest hours of the recession have seen their house values double. I couldnt stop a friend buy a town house at the height of the bubble for 600k turn them in three one bedroom apartment go bust.

If someone owns their property outright (a bigger number in the last Census than those paying a mortgage), the market value of their property shouldn't make any difference to them.

The only way that would be true, is if it was not bought as an investment, but many see it as an alternative to a pension, so price and location can have an impact, particularly if the intention was to downsize later to gain additional income.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Just wondering cause I seen it mentioned on this thread before years back if anyone ever proved that holding a large quantity of bonds in one lump as opposed to the same value of bonds divided in to two separate lumps ever actually proved to be more successfull.

Was thinking to invest a few more euro in bonds and the question just came into my head, whether people who had a lump sum in bonds already and wanted to invest more would then cash in there original bonds and then buy an even larger quantity of bonds (original bonds + new savings) or just invest in a second group of bonds.
    That was an interesting conspiracy theory that went on for a while :-) But no, it doesn't make any difference how you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 8th May 2020: €0
    Last win 9th April 2020: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2950
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300
    2020: €50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

€50 again today!

Jan:XXXXX
    Feb: €XXX
    Mar: XXX€
    Apr: €XX€
    May: €€

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 8th May 2020: €0
    Last win - 10th April 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 4
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 18 wins in 149 weeks (12%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-date): 4 x €50 = €200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€50 today. :)