Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing here again. Got another batch....really believed that a new lot would surely change the luck. They have now been in 2 draws as well as all the previous lots. Nothing. Have filled in the encashment form today for some of the smaller lots. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭John arse

i take it all the regular contributors on here have quite substantial investments,i had over 130k invested myself for a long time with mixed results ,i'm down to 66k at the moment and not really getting a sniff so be wary if you are thinking of a small sum invested ie 10/20k-you'll be disappointed!(but then again you never know )

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

noodler wrote: »
    Not a single win in 2020 so far.

I can beat that , not a single win since june 2018 on 40k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Essex Man wrote: »
    You're singing from my hymn sheet! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭John arse

Essex Man wrote: »
    f#@k me!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

John arse wrote: »
    f#@k me!

No thanks John , I'll pass on that offer !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

pbwinner wrote: »
    I noticed that the winning notification letter has changed it's return address from Killorglin to Killarney.
    Presumably because there's sweet f.a. in Killorglin. With 'Killarney', at least you could make the excuse you're booking a holiday :-P

I found some reinvestment letters going back to 2017 which I had put aside for shredding. No need to open them as the bonds arrive the same week. The return address on the outside of the envelopes is PO Box 501 Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭carrickbawn

Don’t know why I even check anymore. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

I found some reinvestment letters going back to 2017 which I had put aside for shredding. No need to open them as the bonds arrive the same week. The return address on the outside of the envelopes is PO Box 501 Killarney.
    Oh really? Funny all of mine had Killorglin on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 5th May 2020: €0
    Last win 9th April 2020: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2950
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300
    2020: €50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Winnings on 1st May €50
    Last win: 13th March €50
    Weeks since last win: 7

2017 (Jul-Dec) - €100k – 7x€50 = €350
    2018 (Jan-Dec) - €200k – 12x€50 = €600
    2019 (Jan-Dec) - €250k – 20x€50 = €1,000
    2020 (Jan-MaY) - €252k - 9x€50 = €450

From my AIW28 batch. Third win from this batch of 8,000 bonds this year.

The return address on the outside of the envelopes is PO Box 501 Killarney.

The Fexco office which handles prize bond administration is in Killorglin. Unlikely that there are PO Boxes available in Killorglin as they are only available where there is an An Post Delivery Service Unit and the nearest DSU to Killorglin is Killarney. Hence the Killarney PO Box, even though the office is in Killorglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

e50 inniú!

Jan: XXXXX
    Feb: €XXX
    Mar: XXX€
    Apr: €XX€
    May:

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 1st May 2020: €0
    Last win - 10th April 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 3
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 18 wins in 148 weeks (12%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-date): 4 x €50 = €200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

how large a prize purchase can you make in one step? thx

riddles wrote: »
    how large a prize purchase can you make in one step? thx

You can purchase up to your maximum holding limit which is €250,000 (i.e. 40,000 Prize Bonds) per individual/applicant or €500,000 (i.e. 80,000 Prize Bonds) in respect of joint holdings by two individuals, with bonds purchased prior to 1st Nov 2015 being excluded from these limits. The only issue may be finding a way to handover the money for the purchase where it exceeds your debit card limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nothing here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Nothing here :(

Hibernicis wrote: »
    The Fexco office which handles prize bond administration is in Killorglin. Unlikely that there are PO Boxes available in Killorglin as they are only available where there is an An Post Delivery Service Unit and the nearest DSU to Killorglin is Killarney. Hence the Killarney PO Box, even though the office is in Killorglin.

The address on the prize letters is Killorglin, but on the outside of the envelopes PO Box 501 Killarney. I think it might be designed to filter out undelivered prize letters being returned to sender, from other incoming mail.

Over 5,000 prize letters going out every week, hundreds of which would be to people who bought bonds up to 6 decades ago. Some of which never won in decades. Lots of possibilities for people being deceased or moved away from their original addresses. So it would make sense to get these letters back to a dedicated PO Box for a follow up process, and as you say the PO Box facility would probably not be available in Killorglin Post Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Nothing for us this week :(

Nothing for me. €50 prizes for May draws 5,268 up by 89 from April. Newest winning number last week ARQ727492, this week ARS716750, difference 1,989,258 sales of around €12.4 million. 18 million bonds ARA to ARR won 158 prizes.

Over the last four draws 60 million bonds won 520 prizes making the average win per million bonds 8.67. In 52 draws that would be 480.84 wins for bonds worth €6.25 million. And that works out at 7.21 wins for bonds worth €100K, holding to the average luck figure we have been using. €25K worth of bonds should win 2 prizes (1.80) in a year with average luck.

Total prizes in May draws 5,289. 5,289/520*60=610.27. So probably around 610 million bonds worth approx €3.80 billion in the fund at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I've been reading about these prize bonds, and before I put some money in it I just wanted to confirm if I got it correctly:
    1. These are open for everybody living in Ireland holding Irish address (in other words, one doesn't have to hold Irish citizenship)
    2. Average APR is 0.5%
    3. Once you deposit you can withdraw money at any point after the initial "freeze" period of 90 days
    4. The above is valid for any subsequent deposit where you can still withdraw previously deposited money
    5. There are weekly draws and you can find out if you won something online (+ once won, you'll also get confirmation by post)
    6. All winnings and money that has been deposited are tax-free
    7. There is no risk of losing your deposit involved at all (with maybe exception being war which Ireland looses in which case this would be least of my issues)

I hope above is correct and if so, I wanted to ask if there is anything that I should take into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I've been reading about these prize bonds, and before I put some money in it I just wanted to confirm if I got it correctly:
    1. These are open for everybody living in Ireland holding Irish address (in other words, one doesn't have to hold Irish citizenship)
    2. Average APR is 0.5%
    3. Once you deposit you can withdraw money at any point after the initial "freeze" period of 90 days
    4. The above is valid for any subsequent deposit where you can still withdraw previously deposited money
    5. There are weekly draws and you can find out if you won something online (+ once won, you'll also get confirmation by post)
    6. All winnings and money that has been deposited are tax-free
    7. There is no risk of loosing your deposit involved at all (with maybe exception being war which Ireland looses in which case this would be least of my issues)

I hope above is correct and if so, I wanted to ask if there is anything that I should take into account?

1. Yes
    2. APR + luck = who knows
    3. You get your money back in about a week after sending off the forms.
    4. Aye
    5. Oui
    6. Yup
    7. It's lose!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Taylor365 wrote: »
    1. Yes
    2. APR + luck = who knows
    3. You get your money back in about a week after sending off the forms.
    4. Aye
    5. Oui
    6. Yup
    7. It's lose!:mad:

thanks, and typo fixed ;)

0.5% variable rate, with the number of €50 prizes recalculated at the start of each month. But it also has to cater for a fixed annual number of big prizes. This month there will be 26,340 €50 prizes worth €1,317,000 and 105 big prizes worth €325,000. 99.6% of the prizes by number will be €50. And also taking into account the €2m paid out in June and December the real return for 99% of winners who have average luck is around 0.35%.

3. The prize structure
    3.1 The value of the monthly prize fund is recalculated at the start of each calendar month by applying a variable percentage rate
    (currently 0.50%) to the value of all Prize Bonds outstanding at the end of the previous month.

3.2 At any time the NTMA can amend the variable percentage rate used to calculate the prize fund, can change the value of prizes,
    and the prize structure. Any such change will be advertised in the mainstream media and on StateSavings.ie

3.3 The current prize structure is as follows –
    A €1 million prize is awarded in the last weekly draw of June and December.
    The top prize in all other weekly draws is €50,000
    The other weekly prizes are
    € 1,000 X 10 prizes
    €500 X 10 prizes
    €50 X All other prizes until the prize fund for that week has been fully utilised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sounds like the dumbest investment since the resurrect Telecom Eireann fund.
    Your principal is depreciating with no garunteed interest.

Sounds like the dumbest investment since the resurrect Telecom Eireann fund.
    Your principal is depreciating with no garunteed interest.

The easy access savings products are only returning about €150 a year on €100K, after DIRT is deducted from the interest. Anyone with €100K may as well not bother with the €150, and have 16,000 "tickets" in 52 draws with hundreds of thousands of prizes.

What do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The easy access savings products are only returning about €150 a year on €100K, after DIRT is deducted from the interest. Anyone with €100K may as well not bother with the €150, and have 16,000 "tickets" in 52 draws with hundreds of thousands of prizes.

What do you recommend?

You are right. Savings are not the way to go.
    If I had €100k, I would spend 90k on a country town house in the next few months and resell it in a few years. Investment garunteed to rise
    The other 10k I would get an MBA. That would pay in your salary.

Meanwhile the Govt are screwing up and printing money to cover themselves and diluting your cash value. Watch it all happen

• Advertisement

You are right. Savings are not the way to go.
    If I had €100k, I would spend 90k on a country town house in the next few months and resell it in a few years. Investment garunteed to rise
    The other 10k I would get an MBA. That would pay in your salary.

Meanwhile the Govt are screwing up and printing money to cover themselves and diluting your cash value. Watch it all happen

Houses are for living in, not financial instruments. Certainly not financial instruments with guaranteed profits.

Advertisement