Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nail polish thread :) *Do Not Quote Pics!*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Quick query.

I've bitten my nails since I was 2. When I say bite, I've never seen anyone do it as badly as me. I literally have half a cm of a nail on each hand (well, had), bit all the skin off, cuticles, everything.

Keeping them painted is helping. I haven't bitten them at all in 6 days, and they're looking much better, no cuts or blood :pac:

Is there anything you ladies can recommend to strengthen them? I'm determined not to bite them anymore, so are there any things I can use on them that actually work to strengthen them?

Currently thanking 'gogo girl' by Sinful Colours because I haven't bitten them once since I put it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Just keep painting them, buy lots of pretty colours for them and decals, buy a strengthening treatment, get into a routine of painting them every week Look after them and soon you will be so proud of them you wont want to put them near your teeth. Good luck

ladypip wrote: »
    Just keep painting them, buy lots of pretty colours for them and decals, buy a strengthening treatment, get into a routine of painting them every week Look after them and soon you will be so proud of them you wont want to put them near your teeth. Good luck

Oh yeah, I'm going to keep them painted, because it's stopping me from biting them, but I haven't a clue which strengthening treatments are any good. Do you know any? :) the tiny amount that has grown is very weak and they keep breaking already :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I use Sally Hansen which seems to be working alright for me. I too am a recovered biter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

This is amazing for growing and strengthening them. Apply one coat every day for five days and on the sixth day remove all the polish and start again. Within a week or two you will notice a small difference, it will take a month, possibly a bit a longer to notice a huge improvement though.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sally-Hansen-Maximum-Growth_20819/

I use this as a base coat too and its the best I've used.

I use this top coat and its great.

http://www.boots.ie/en/Sally-Hansen-Insta-Dri-Anti-Chip-Top-Coat_1038032/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I'm a reformed biter too! Stopped literally just by buying lovely polish and painting them. I hated biting them when they looked so nice so I iterally just stopped overnight having done it since I was a kid.

I'm a reformed biter too! Stopped literally just by buying lovely polish and painting them. I hated biting them when they looked so nice so I iterally just stopped overnight having done it since I was a kid.

That's what I've done. I have loads of polishes, but REALLY loved the one I mentioned in an earlier post, and it's stopping me from biting. :)

My bf is pleased too, he's been at me to stop for months :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Oh yeah, I'm going to keep them painted, because it's stopping me from biting them, but I haven't a clue which strengthening treatments are any good. Do you know any? :) the tiny amount that has grown is very weak and they keep breaking already :pac:

The girl that does my nails is always telling people to use lemon juice to strengthen them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

156yb12.jpg

White gelish
    Black nail art pen from pennies
    Gold glitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

156yb12.jpg

White gelish
    Black nail art pen from pennies
    Gold glitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was in Penneys today and noticed that they had a bottle of glow in the dark nail polish (and the bottle was shaped like a lightbulb!) Does anyone know if it's any good? I've never seen one that didn't need uv light before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

phasers wrote: »
    I was in Penneys today and noticed that they had a bottle of glow in the dark nail polish (and the bottle was shaped like a lightbulb!) Does anyone know if it's any good? I've never seen one that didn't need uv light before!

That sounds like a whole lot of awesome!

I haven't heard of it or saw it but me want :D

Took down my nail polish rack to paint the room, going to put it back up in the area where I'm setting up my office. I miss seeing my polishes hanging there :( Adoring anything by ButterLondon lately.

10261297_269577816557300_677472568_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    That sounds like a whole lot of awesome!

I haven't heard of it or saw it but me want :D

Took down my nail polish rack to paint the room, going to put it back up in the area where I'm setting up my office. I miss seeing my polishes hanging there :( Adoring anything by ButterLondon lately
    Please can I visit?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

OakeyDokey, did you make that nail polish rack? it's fab! Or if you bought it, where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Alice in Wonderland inspired. A bit crappy and it took me nearly an hour! A combination of Barry M and nail art pens from Primark, have since put on a L'Oriel glitter topcoat over cheshire cat
    10361502_772327922785467_8970169269687556075_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Ladybug...

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Please can I visit?!?

Anytime you like :D Tea (or wine) some chocolate and NAILPOLISH!! Perfect date :D
    Moyglish wrote: »
    OakeyDokey, did you make that nail polish rack? it's fab! Or if you bought it, where did you get it?

My boyfriend made it for me. It cost about €20 to make haha!

It's only like a frame with wallpaper at the back. For an extra €15 I could have gotten an actual back in it but the wall paper looked prettier. I had it hanging in the sitting room but want to keep it where I do all my blogging/vlogging work. I told the boyfriend he should sell them and make a fortune.. I've seen some cheap plastic ones priced at over €200 So outrageous!

A better look

http://instagram.com/p/Y2CE3WsHFI/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

he should definately sell them - i;d buy one! The ones online are mad money. As for that clutterbox stuff - couple of hundred quid for a plastic drawer set eh no thanks the prices are mad

I don't like the Clutterbox I think they look messy! I'd rather spend some money and head to Ikea for some nice Helmers or similar. Nailpolish I like on display though I could try and see if the boyfriend will let me make a step by step tutorial on the rack if anyone likes might be a good blog post.

Ooh! We should all get together and go on an Ikea date. I don't think I could handle all the organization/storage items :D:eek:

o8eojLFsQc

• Advertisement

2014-06-07%2014.41.30.jpg

20131227_170858.jpg

2014-05-27%2019.46.39.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Amazing looks here girls!! I'm feeling very inspired! Would I be right in thinking OPI and Barry M are the best brands to invest in?? Where do you guys buy these polishes...I don't think I've ever seen them in chemists

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

augusta24 wrote: »
    Amazing looks here girls!! I'm feeling very inspired! Would I be right in thinking OPI and Barry M are the best brands to invest in?? Where do you guys buy these polishes...I don't think I've ever seen them in chemists

Most Boots stores have Barry M; I've also seen it in Superdrug.
    OPI can be bought from salons and salon supply shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Most Boots stores have Barry M; I've also seen it in Superdrug.
    OPI can be bought from salons and salon supply shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Thanks dee_mc ... my local boots is pretty crap and doesnt have Barry M but I might use boots.ie to have a look! What price range are these polishes usually? I've seen a few online and I'm wondering if they're priced well!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Thanks dee_mc ... my local boots is pretty crap and doesnt have Barry M but I might use boots.ie to have a look! What price range are these polishes usually? I've seen a few online and I'm wondering if they're priced well!

OPI is around a tenner a bottle but so worth it!

If I remember correctly Barry M is around the fiver mark? But it's often on a 3 for 2 in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I need to go to Boots! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I got some new Catrice polishes I must post them up.

Also I got Gels for a friends wedding, I broke one down thru my own nail lifting a chair - that one healed. Then broke another scratching!!! That one broke right off today :(

Advertisement