Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Anyone here on a 457 visa get an exemption from the Medicare levy? I originally thought I was exempt but then I found a page on one of the government websites (I can't remember where unfortunately) that said that I'm not exempt as Ireland has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mobius42 wrote: »
    Anyone here on a 457 visa get an exemption from the Medicare levy? I originally thought I was exempt but then I found a page on one of the government websites (I can't remember where unfortunately) that said that I'm not exempt as Ireland has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia.

You are reading it wrong - it's clearly defined we are exempt (look at the FAQ thread)

We don't have a reciprocal medicare agreement only a basic hospital cover .. so we don't get medicare, so we don't need to pay a levy for something we don't get

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Hi all
    I have a small problem when i am trying to lodge my tax it comes back about shared secret information how do i get arounfd this. Please help me

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Click Next
    Worked for me. Nothing came of it.
    I completed it last nigh. Had to go back over a few times but got through it. Didnt get any confirmation email or anything, is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Ok I know this has been asked a million times before but Im doing my etax now and Im confused.
    The Medicare exemption. I thought once you earned under a certain amount they didnt charge. I clicked estimate and its seems they are taking medicare from my refund.
    Do I click I am a foriegn resident and enter the amount of days I have been in Oz?
    Or how do i get the exemption?

Slunk wrote: »
    Ok I know this has been asked a million times before but Im doing my etax now and Im confused.
    The Medicare exemption. I thought once you earned under a certain amount they didnt charge. I clicked estimate and its seems they are taking medicare from my refund.
    Do I click I am a foriegn resident and enter the amount of days I have been in Oz?

apply for the exemption, and under the medicare section "how many days you were exempt" type in the number of days you were exempt for

You can click foreign resident or Medicare exemption category - I can't remember sorry

I had this aswell. I put in 180 days, which is how long i am here, then on the summary it deducted 145 from the refund. Wasnt arsed arguing and just wanted to get it done so i took the hit and bewildered on

I have typed in my 224 days and it took some money off but apparently Im still paying 1% for medicare levy surcharge?
    Did you guys get a screen to enter health insurance details etc? Does my travel insurance details go in here if that will cover it?
    Why are things so complicated?
    Also do you get all of your tax back or a percentage?
    I only earned $11k gross

I had this aswell. I put in 180 days, which is how long i am here, then on the summary it deducted 145 from the refund. Wasnt arsed arguing and just wanted to get it done so i took the hit and bewildered on

shouldn't have taken any hit, maybe then put 365 (for future ref)

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    shouldn't have taken any hit, maybe then put 365 (for future ref)

I was thinking that but didnt want to risk them looking into it. Just want a speedy refund as i m leaving in a few weeks and didnt want it hanging about

Thanks, I changed it and entered 365 days and Im not paying anything for medicare :)
    My tax estimate is correct regards the taxIve paid, but I have claimed 270 for work related clothing. Seems this is not added onto my refund? Any help?
    Or will this be added on when they process it?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You don't get the full $270 back, just a percentage depending on your tax bracket.

Slunk, go through the medicare surcharge section again. You must have clicked a wrong box someplace. At $11k you should be paying nothing.

I don't think travel insurance counts. All registered health insurance companies have a code that you need to enter.

Thanks, Ive sorted my medicare, was just wondering why my clothing deductions wasnt shown up.
    One last thing, I get paid super but dont know where my employer lodges it, can I just claim I dont get super ?

You must have filled out a superannuation account when you started the job. Ask you employer who they use and ring the company with your tax file number.

I thought that if you were leaving the country permanently you could get your super back. I think the super questions on etax are to do when voluntary contributions. If so I would tick No as you don't make any voluntary contributions.

Brilliant. Went through all that and it cannot verify my identidy.

Said Id do my girlfriends seen as Im here and hers is done and dusted in five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    We don't have a reciprocal medicare agreement only a basic hospital cover .. so we don't get medicare, so we don't need to pay a levy for something we don't get
    When would a person start getting medicare, once on a 457/PR/Citizen etc
    I had this aswell. I put in 180 days, which is how long i am here,
    Thanks, I changed it and entered 365 days and Im not paying anything for medicare :)
    You need to put down 365 days, even if you weren't here for a full year.
    This is because the its asking how many days you are exempt. If you leave extra days as not exempt, it will charge for them accordingly
    My tax estimate is correct regards the taxIve paid, but I have claimed 270 for work related clothing. Seems this is not added onto my refund? Any help?
    Or will this be added on when they process it?
    You don't get the 270 back, you get it tax free.

Mellor wrote: »
    When would a person start getting medicare, once on a 457/PR/Citizen etc
    A PR can get medicare, if you are in Australia and have a working visa and have submitted a PR application you can receive medicare.

Thanks, Ive sorted my medicare, was just wondering why my clothing deductions wasnt shown up.

Did you get all your tax back? You said you only paid 11k gross, so you should be in the low earners bracket so you get all your tax back

You don't get more than you paid. If you paid 2k tax you can only get 2k back not 2k + expenses
    One last thing, I get paid super but don't know where my employer lodges it, can I just claim I don't get super ?
    The ATO are not stupid, your super is attached to your TFN, they know you get super

Cheers for all the replies. My estimated tax back is what it says on my end of year summary ie. All of it
    Just have to print it and post it as it can't verify my identity. How much longer will it take via post anyone know?
    Thanks to everyone here who helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

Hi all im filling out my tax return via etax at the moment and just ran into a small problem hope somebody can help me out.

my details are as follows:
    Gross payments:27918
    Super contributions:2775
    Total allowances:4451(Total allowances are not included in gross payments above and need to be shown separately in your tax return)
    Total tax withheld:8883

these details are from my payg summary

my problem is ive entered my gross payment and total tax

however the next step requires me to enter any allowances i recieved(4451) and tax i paid on them however im not sure how much tax exactly i paid on them because they are added to my weekly earnings on my payslips and its all taxed together

Ive tried to enter 4451 and my total tax paid(8883) however it wont allow it as the tax paid is more than allowance amount

so i dont really know what to do here because i was taxed on the gross payment and allowances as a whole so will i just add the two of them together and forget about the allowance section

i hope i have explained my problem properly and somebody can help me.

thanks

I always enter $0 in the tax withheld on the tool allowance. The total tax withheld includes your gross and allowances. I haven't seen a group cert yet that puts a separates the tax for income and allowances.

Why are you entering superannuation, did your company pay more than 9% super?

ye i dunno what to do its strange ill try entering 0 dollars but i just hope it doesnt mess my return up because i was as you said taxed on my gross and allowances as a whole so i cant understand why there asking for a seperate tax amount on my allowances.

I was just entering everything on my tax cert as far as i know they paid the standard 9 percent

It won't mess up your tax return, my OH had a tax return like that for years.

great thanks for your help

Does is actually have an amount in the Reportable Employer Superannuation contribution on your group cert?

This is only supposed to be filled in if the employer has made additional superannutation contributions on your behalf. It is not to include the standard superannutation amount. I have only seen this on one of my group certs ever when I was getting paid an additional 5% super.

Sometimes companies make mistakes and put this amount on the group cert. I am not sure of your situation but you don't want to be paying any extra tax then you need to because of an error.

ye it has 2775 in there is that not supposed to be there?i was only working with the company for 3 and a half months.i dont actually think etax is asking me anything about my super annuation?im still in the process of filling it out now

I don't think it should be. The mistake is pretty common but they shouldn't be making it. Here is a link from the ATO, it is from last year.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00251680.htm

Looking at this attachment you should be OK. You can lodge your tax return and not have to apply for an amendment. T

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

What's with all the mention of Super? I don't remember filling in anything about my Super.. I do have one of course but I have not made any contributions to my Super, only my employers have...

• Advertisement

ye ive just completed filling etax out and it doesnt ask about how much super was paid.

it calculated im due 6.107 back does this sound right with the details ive provided??

Advertisement