Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Regarding self-education. It must be related to your current job, i.e. you must be in the job and stay with the employer afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

s.c wrote: »
    It claim be claimed as an expense if you need to carry tools/equipment ;)
    The second part (that you deleted) covers that.

Again;
    Commute to and from a workplace (say the office) is not an expense
    Driving to a worksite is an expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Im starting my first job here in brisbane since getting to Oz little over 2 weeks ago, ive a full time position and getting over 50k , when giving my tax details to the company will I tell them that im a resident for tax purpose so ill get the lower tax rate from the start? im planning on staying and they company im to start with has been talking about sponsoring me ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Joe Gt wrote: »
    Im starting my first job here in brisbane since getting to Oz little over 2 weeks ago, ive a full time position and getting over 50k , when giving my tax details to the company will I tell them that im a resident for tax purpose so ill get the lower tax rate from the start? im planning on staying and they company im to start with has been talking about sponsoring me ,

Yes you can claim to be a resident for tax, as you plan to stay and work

hussey wrote: »
    Yes you can claim to be a resident for tax, as you plan to stay and work

thanks for that ,

any only if i get sponsored can i try and apply for lafha ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Mellor wrote: »
    The second part (that you deleted) covers that.

Again;
    Commute to and from a workplace (say the office) is not an expense
    Driving to a worksite is an expense.

No it didn't. This is what you said..
    Mellor wrote:
    If you were driving about the city on errands, or had to go anywhere in your car as part of work, say meetings, or to different places everyday, then its an expense. You can deduct this (as long as you aren't already compensated by the company.

Nothing about the commute to and from work.

Anyway bottom line is, the commute to and from work can be claimed as an expense under certain circumsatances.

Joe Gt wrote: »
    thanks for that ,

any only if i get sponsored can i try and apply for lafha ?

You could get lafha on a WHV but it's a pretty dodgy claim, but most companies only get if it on a 457

ok thanks ,id be happy with getting RFTP anyways

Nothing about the commute to and from work.
    You already quoted the part about commute. Try reading my posts in full, not random sentences.

He guy asked if he can claim his train tickets. I said he can't if he is going to and from work. Which he can't.
    I then followed up with it also applies for driving.

If he is driving to site with a van load of tools then he can claim it back (if he isn't compensated as I said). Actually, even if he isn't carrying tools he can.
    Because this isn't commuting, he isn't driving to the office, or to the main business locations everyday. He is going to places not related to the company.
    I don't it doesn't seam fair, but its something to do with you choose where to live, if this far from work then so be it. But the guy on site gets told where to be, he can't help it if its far.
    Anyway bottom line is, the commute to and from work can be claimed as an expense under certain circumsatances.

I'm pretty sure it can't, this came from my tax officer.
    I'll gladly be proved wrong.

Your example about bring tools doesn't count as its not commuting to/from work if you are going to site. I already mentioned this above.
    So what cirumstances does a commute cover. Like I said, i'll gladly be proved wrong. Travel is a big expensive for me. Anything I can get back is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Few questiions..

How much deductions can you claim without receipts? it has been mentioned in this thread up to $300? I have heard from others that it can be more?

Do you provide these receipts to the ATO initially or is it only when they request them?

I am a member of the PIA so I can claim my membership fees and I can prove this with a reciept however this puts me over the $300 mark instantly, could I still claim for work uniform expenses even though I do not have reciepts?

Also the tax return form asks if you are defacto, does this affect the claim if Iyou are?

I have been told by some aussie friends that they never put defacto on their returns? However Im on a sponsored 457 visa and my gf is my defacto so I dont want to jepordise that.

Thank you

• Advertisement

How much deductions can you claim without receipts? it has been mentioned in this thread up to $300? I have heard from others that it can be more?
    300 - it states it on the website
    Do you provide these receipts to the ATO initially or is it only when they request them?
    when requested, but if sending it off via post you can attach them
    I am a member of the PIA so I can claim my membership fees and I can prove this with a reciept however this puts me over the $300 mark instantly, could I still claim for work uniform expenses even though I do not have reciepts?
    Nope, only up to 300 without receipts.
    Also the tax return form asks if you are defacto, does this affect the claim if Iyou are?
    If you are tax dependant, as in one stays and takes care of kids etc

I have been told by some aussie friends that they never put defacto on their returns? However Im on a sponsored 457 visa and my gf is my defacto so I dont want to jepordise that.
    Ask a tax expert on that, but for most people putting down no is sufficient

If you have a visa defacto relationship you can have independent tax returns no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

300 - it states it on the website
    Nope, only up to 300 without receipts.

Thanks Hussey,
    I can provide a recipt for my membership can I still claim a further 300 without recipts as well as what I claim with reciepts?

Few questiions..

I think its $300
    Only if you are audited.
    I didn't ahve to produce any last year (I didn't claim the year before)
    You could. But if audited you probably won't get it.
    If you paid for your uniform, you are entitled to clam a deduction. You are also entiteld to clain back cleaning costs.

Here is a calculator.
    http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/AXOS.asp

If you are claiming to be living as a married couple for the purpose for getting a visa, then you should be taxed as a married. But only If you are earning money for both AFAIK
    The reason your aussie friends don't put it down is because they aren't relying on a visa, and even if living with a partner, then can still be legally single with no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Mellor wrote: »
    You already quoted the part about commute. Try reading my posts in full, not random sentences.

He guy asked if he can claim his train tickets. I said he can't if he is going to and from work. Which he can't.
    I then followed up with it also applies for driving.

If he is driving to site with a van load of tools then he can claim it back (if he isn't compensated as I said). Actually, even if he isn't carrying tools he can.
    Because this isn't commuting, he isn't driving to the office, or to the main business locations everyday. He is going to places not related to the company.
    I don't it doesn't seam fair, but its something to do with you choose where to live, if this far from work then so be it. But the guy on site gets told where to be, he can't help it if its far.

I'm pretty sure it can't, this came from my tax officer.
    I'll gladly be proved wrong.

Your example about bring tools doesn't count as its not commuting to/from work if you are going to site. I already mentioned this above.
    So what cirumstances does a commute cover. Like I said, i'll gladly be proved wrong. Travel is a big expensive for me. Anything I can get back is a plus.

This is totally wrong. Where does it say anything that driving to a site (presumely you mean building site) can be claimed as an expense. A building site is a workplace (i.e. a place you you do your work) so if you are working on a building site then you commute to your place of work. It could be your workplace for one day or anything up to a number of years.

From the ato website

The deductions include the cost of trips between your home and your workplace if:
    • you used your car because you had to carry bulky tools or equipment that you used for work and could not leave at your workplace (for example, an extension ladder or cello)
    • your home was a base of employment (that is, you started your work at home and travelled to a workplace to continue your work for the same employer)
    • you had shifting places of employment (that is, you regularly worked at more than one site each day before returning home).
    The journey from your home to your workplace is the commute to work, so as I said the commute to and from work can be claimed as an expense under certain circumsatances.

This is totally wrong. Where does it say anything that driving to a site (presumely you mean building site) can be claimed as an expense. A building site is a workplace (i.e. a place you you do your work) so if you are working on a building site then you commute to your place of work. It could be your workplace for one day or anything up to a number of years.

If you are on the one site for he whole year then you probably can't, as you say then its just your workplace, or your base of operations. But if you are on different sites then you can in my experience. If you are changing sites regularly then can. I had a friend who claimed back travel for a month he sepnt working up the coast. Submitted recipts and was fine.

Look, either way we are getting into ridiculous semantics.
    Almost everybody travelling to different sites regualarly will have tools of some sort with them.
    Everyone working in an office will know what days they can claim.

On a positve note, got my group cert yesterday, I overpaid by about 20% on the basic rates, so that's due back before I make any deductions. Gonna have to think about them.
    So far I have Clothes, some travel, membership and a printer

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You can still claim your travel expenses if your employer does not provide a safe and secure place to store your tools and equipment and you therefore have to transport them to site everyday. Everyones situation is going to be different.

I always hear crazy examples of what people are claiming for, especially with the education tax refund. Plus people interpret things differently. But the important thing to remember is that we are self assessing here and there is always the potential to be audited later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

Hi all just a few questions about claiming tax back as im about to do it myself using etax.

Ive paid 9000 dollars in tax and im on a WHV am i entitled to all of this back or only a certain percentage??

Im still waiting on my tax group certificate can i go ahead with my claim without this(using my last payslip) or do i need to wait for it?

I know im exempt from medicare so I will be claiming for this aswell can I go ahead with the claim without applying for the medicare exemption or do I need to fill out the form and wait 4 weeks for it to be processed?

And last but not least am I better off declaring that im a resident for tax purposes or that im not a resident.I know i can claim that I am because im here nearly a year and have a second year visa but do they have diffrent consequences effecting how much tax i get back.

I hope somebody can answer these questions for me and sorry if they are repeat questions.

byrner51 wrote: »
    Hi all just a few questions about claiming tax back as im about to do it myself using etax.

Ive paid 9000 dollars in tax and im on a WHV am i entitled to all of this back or only a certain percentage??
    a % ... how much depends on what you earnt .. since you didn't tell us, you can use etax to tell ya
    Im still waiting on my tax group certificate can i go ahead with my claim without this(using my last payslip) or do i need to wait for it?
    You can ... but prob better off waiting in case there is a mistake (as they will send what you earned to ATO also)
    I know im exempt from medicare so I will be claiming for this aswell can I go ahead with the claim without applying for the medicare exemption or do I need to fill out the form and wait 4 weeks for it to be processed?
    Yes you can, but do apply for it, they may ask you later to prove it
    And last but not least am I better off declaring that im a resident for tax purposes or that im not a resident.I know i can claim that I am because im here nearly a year and have a second year visa but do they have diffrent consequences effecting how much tax i get back.

Big difference, since you are here a year you are a RfTP (explained in this thread) you'll get a big chunk back ... read over the thread from the start and the ato, and you'll see you now get a tax free allowance of 6k and a 15% tax rate rather than 0 TFA and 30% rate

If anyone is in sydney I seen this daily deal
    $49 for an Individual Tax Return Without Restrictions at Etaxpartners, Two Locations. Value $140.
    http://www.ourdeal.com.au/deal/etaxpartners-individual-tax-return/refer/2647

pretty decent considering avg price seems to be 100+ - location Ultimo

*note: I cannot vouch for these guys, I just seen the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

thanks for the reply hussey :) hopefully it will be straight forward using etax im just waiting on my group cert then im gonna have a go at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bobo1985

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows if you are entitled to the full low income tax offet of $1,500 if you have only been part resident or is it restricted to the number of months you have been resident. I am in Oz four months and on a working holiday visa, so would I get the full $1,500 or $500 ($1500/12*4)? I would have earned less than $10k up to 30th June 2011

Thanks in advance :)

Bobo1985 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody knows if you are entitled to the full low income tax offet of $1,500 if you have only been part resident or is it restricted to the number of months you have been resident. I am in Oz four months and on a working holiday visa, so would I get the full $1,500 or $500 ($1500/12*4)? I would have earned less than $10k up to 30th June 2011

Thanks in advance :)

If you declare yourself a resident for tax purposes (which you can do) you are entitled to all of it back

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bobo1985

If you declare yourself a resident for tax purposes (which you can do) you are entitled to all of it back

Hi Hussey,

Thanks a million for your swift reply, that is brilliant. I am currently getting LAFHA with Geoffrey Nathan but being charged an admin fee of 10% so might get them to stop that going forward as the admin fee is a waste of money if I will get all of the low income tax offset. I will only be working for another 10 weeks in the 2011/2012 tax year so should get the full offset again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

byrner51 wrote: »

My head literally hurts trying to follow this sort of thing! just wondering does the medicare exemption apply to everyone on a WHV?

Also I incorrectly declared myself non-resident and now want to change it but cannot seem to get through to the tax office! Has anyone else had any problems calling them?

Is the only answer to go there on foot?

Thanks!

ammo123 wrote: »
    My head literally hurts trying to follow this sort of thing! just wondering does the medicare exemption apply to everyone on a WHV?
    Not everyone as such, but every Irish on a WHV (sorry if that sounds smart)
    Also I incorrectly declared myself non-resident and now want to change it but cannot seem to get through to the tax office! Has anyone else had any problems calling them?

Is the only answer to go there on foot?
    No ring them, it's tax time they are busy.

You can also sent in a tax adjustment ... not sure how but you can

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Hi mods id say your busy these few days with all the tax questions :eek:

My main concern is getting my tax back fast as im going on hols in 3 weeks and get all of it back as i am under the 6000 mark if thats possible!

is a tax accountant faster than etax?

i have heard there are tax accountants than will work it out and give you the tax on the spot and they collect your tax when it comes back, is this true? and does it cost more?

i also worked in another job before starting the present one, will my present jobs group cert be adjusted for my entire tax paid since i got here or do i have to wait for the other jobs cert and use both of them?

I just have a standard tax return with the 300 for expenses i am RFTP and on WHV.

Thanks in advance :D

Hi mods id say your busy these few days with all the tax questions :eek:

My main concern is getting my tax back fast as im going on hols in 3 weeks and get all of it back as i am under the 6000 mark if thats possible!

is a tax accountant faster than etax?
    No - you can get eTax within 10days (my case the last 2 years)
    i have heard there are tax accountants than will work it out and give you the tax on the spot and they collect your tax when it comes back, is this true? and does it cost more?
    I heard that too, they charge a huge % - I would really stay away from this
    i also worked in another job before starting the present one, will my present jobs group cert be adjusted for my entire tax paid since i got here or do i have to wait for the other jobs cert and use both of them?

I just have a standard tax return with the 300 for expenses i am RFTP and on WHV.
    You will need to have all certs to reflect your tax, usually when you start work your tax isn't adjusted from previous jobs etc.
    So unless your cert contains all year pay and tax then you'll have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

No - you can get eTax within 10days (my case the last 2 years)

I heard that too, they charge a huge % - I would really stay away from this

Yea thats what i thought, thanks for the info :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Not everyone as such, but every Irish on a WHV (sorry if that sounds smart)

No ring them, it's tax time they are busy.

You can also sent in a tax adjustment ... not sure how but you can

No doesn't sound smart-just factual, thanks a million :)

Ya just found on my lunch break that it's actually that the work phone cuts it off if on hold to long, so will try them again.

• Advertisement

Tax agent and e-tax takes the same amount of time. If you have 3 weeks get it in soon

Advertisement