Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian tax thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »
    I got it from you! :D

I thought you meant that you could apply for any previous years medicare
    exemption that you haven't already received and tally them up. My bad. :)
    How did you do your return last year, are you sure you didn't apply.

As i misunderstood the OP and I actually calimed exemption for the full year last year

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

Hi There,

Mellor, you mentioned using a tax agent, I'm looking for a good tax agent with a decent understanding of Irish & Australian tax systems.

Could you or anyone else on this thread pass on any recommendations?

Thanks & Appreciated,

Hi There,

Mellor, you mentioned using a tax agent, I'm looking for a good tax agent with a decent understanding of Irish & Australian tax systems.

Could you or anyone else on this thread pass on any recommendations?

Thanks & Appreciated,

What are you concerns regarding the irish tax system, not relevant as far as I can see.

A personal tax return is very simply, any agent can do this, or you can do it yourself and ave $100. There is literally no point in somebody recommending one here.

Anyone that has used one will not have anything to compare it to. You hear it the whole time "I went to X, he is excellant" when they have no point iof reference.*
    More importantly, we ahve no clue where you are, no point in suggesting a agent in a different city or even suburb. There are literally 1000s over here, anyone of them would be fine.

*I'm not talking specifically about tax here. Similar to people saying how they used Visa First and they were excellant. They've only ever gotten one WHV so were obvlious to the fact that VF riped them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Mellor wrote: »
    A personal tax return is very simply, any agent can do this, or you can do it yourself and ave $100.

You can clame back the cost of the agent next year.

I know but it doesn't make a difference to the decision if I should use one or not.

I use an agent last year, I can (and will) claim that back this year regardless use and agent or go solo this year. Using an agent will this cost me $100 more at this moment in time.

Last year I intended to keep a log of tax write off, i've gotten none built up, how do mods feel about user posting variosu items they claimed. I imagine lots of us have stuff we missed out on.

As for the laptop above, you can't claim the cost of it, but you can claim the value of it, basically the cost minus some depriciated value.

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to me Mellor.
    What are you concerns regarding the irish tax system, not relevant as far as I can see.

In 2011 I will have significant earnings while based in Ireland up to April and also in Australia from April onwards, hence I'm looking for tax advice on an optimised tax approach.

So would anyone have any recommendations, I'm based in Melbourne.

Thanks,

Rubberduckey

I'm not sure, open to correction on this, that the two systems care about each other.

Australian tax - declar australian earnigns only and claim back 3 months spending

Ireland - claim you months tax separately - You can do this for up to 4 years in ireland, at least you could. i claimed 2005-2009 before I left

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I don't understand this Medicare levy thing. I have a Medicare card and use it but the 1.5% hasn't been taken out of my ever. I might have only earned 20k in the last year. I am a resident for tax purposes.
    Does everyone have to pay the levy? Over a certain threshold or age?
    I will be doing my tax return online myself and should be due a tax refund so I don't want them to slug me for a years worth of Medicare levy..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Doc wrote: »

You can claim back the tax paid on the fee for the agent. Not the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

I'm not sure, open to correction on this, that the two systems care about each other.

Australian tax - declar australian earnigns only and claim back 3 months spending

Ireland - claim you months tax separately - You can do this for up to 4 years in ireland, at least you could. i claimed 2005-2009 before I left

It's a bit more complicated than that given the residence issue in Ireland for 2011 under the 280 day rule. Best seek a tax adviser just to be safe especially as the post said there was significant Irish earnings in Ireland up to April. If it is all PAYE income, it will be straight forward enough

Should be no incremental tax to pay under the Double Tax Treaty between Ireland and Australia but would only be guessing without knowing the individuals exact circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I don't understand this Medicare levy thing. I have a Medicare card and use it but the 1.5% hasn't been taken out of my ever. I might have only earned 20k in the last year. I am a resident for tax purposes..
    Does everyone have to pay the levy? Over a certain threshold or age?
    No it depends on your income - read here http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00250854.htm&page=2

also if you earn over 80k and on medicare you need to get private hospital cover or else an extra 1% surcharge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Doc wrote: »
    Not entirely true. You can claim it as a deduction. Meaning a $100 tax return service will cost you between $100 and $58 depending on your marginal rate.

It's a bit more complicated than that given the residence issue in Ireland for 2011 under the 280 day rule. Best seek a tax adviser just to be safe especially as the post said there was significant Irish earnings in Ireland up to April. If it is all PAYE income, it will be straight forward enough

Should be no incremental tax to pay under the Double Tax Treaty between Ireland and Australia but would only be guessing without knowing the individuals exact circumstances

Thanks for the feedback Legend100, its quite complex as there's complications with share awards, DIRT etc.

So would anyone have any recommendations on a tax agent with the required expertise on both Irish and Australia tax systems?

Thanks in advance,

Rubberduckey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks for all the info people. I'm on on my phone now and its pretty slow. Will check the links in a few days when ill get everything done together online.
    Just a quick questiow. Guy in work says i can claim for my hi vis workwear and safety boots. Also with the phone credit, would ringing agencies for work locations etc be considered business calls or is that pushing it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Slunk wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info people. I'm on on my phone now and its pretty slow. Will check the links in a few days when ill get everything done together online.
    Just a quick questiow. Guy in work says i can claim for my hi vis workwear and safety boots. Also with the phone credit, would ringing agencies for work locations etc be considered business calls or is that pushing it?

Cheers

Yeah you could claim the boots easily enough, as you need them for work, you can also claim suncream if you are outdoors etc

and yeah I'd charge the phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah you could claim the boots easily enough, as you need them for work, you can also claim suncream if you are outdoors etc
    In this instance that is correct, but not necessarily always. The test for deductibility is more complicated than 'needed for work'. The essential character of the expenditure has to be work related, i.e. 'but for my job, I would not have purchased this'.

There are two famous law cases on this topic, one involved a number of outdoor workers (including a tax office worker) who claimed sun protection was deductible. Another was an air hostess (Mansfield) who managed to get most of her uniform deductible for various reasons. She claimed her work shoes were deductible because they needed to be a size bigger for working in the air as your feet expand, so they were no good for her on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

hussey wrote: »
    Are you a Resident for tax purposes?
    This is important, it is not the same as a resident. This is about intent. If you intend on staying longer than 6 months then you can declare yourself a RfTP.
    Read more here

Say I intend to stay in one place for the 6+ months, I declare as a RfTP but circumstances change and I have to return to Ireland after, say, just under the 6 months, does that mean I lose the eligibility to reclaim tax once leaving Australia and actually would be presented with a bill to make up the difference for the higher rate of tax that I wasn't paying? This is a situation that might arise for me (hopefully not though).

Say I intend to stay in one place for the 6+ months, I declare as a RfTP but circumstances change and I have to return to Ireland after, say, just under the 6 months, does that mean I lose the eligibility to reclaim tax once leaving Australia and actually would be presented with a bill to make up the difference for the higher rate of tax that I wasn't paying? This is a situation that might arise for me (hopefully not though).

Highly unlikely, but you can claim it now and if they dispute it they ask you to provide evidence, or make a readjusted claim.

You won't be presented with a bill on simple mistakes, usually they ask for re-assessment first, and if you owe them money then pay them back

Just looking atthe taxform hussey has filled out for 2010. In the expenses category it says work related travel expenses. Maybe a silly question but can I claim a % or all of my train fares back?
    And again, work related education. if I was to do a forklift training course could I claim this back in next years return?

Also tried to download etax2011 and its saying cant dowload because of banned extension .msi. This is from ato website saying this. Anyone else having this problem?

Another thing, while i was working in october for three months i was being taxed at 30% but now when I filled in my details for current job I ticked the rftp box and only being taxed 15%. Will the tax office knowabout the differences by my TFN or am I only likely to recive 15% back of everythign?

Sorry for all the questions :P

• Advertisement

Just looking atthe taxform hussey has filled out for 2010. In the expenses category it says work related travel expenses. Maybe a silly question but can I claim a % or all of my train fares back?
    If it is commute then no.
    And again, work related education. if I was to do a forklift training course could I claim this back in next years return?
    Yes, i think so
    Also tried to download etax2011 and its saying cant dowload because of banned extension .msi. This is from ato website saying this. Anyone else having this problem?
    That could be a firewall issue - are you going via work?
    Another thing, while i was working in october for three months i was being taxed at 30% but now when I filled in my details for current job I ticked the rftp box and only being taxed 15%. Will the tax office knowabout the differences by my TFN or am I only likely to recive 15% back of everythign?

You cannot be 1/2 non resident, 1/2 resident, at the end of the year you are one, so declare yourself a RFTP and you'll get your refund on the 30%
    Sorry for all the questions :P
    That's what we are here for ;)

Thanks for the swift response. Im in the library so that maybe an issue, but its an actuall ATO page telling me I cant download it, not vic library. Maybe I need to wait til July 1st.
    Thanks for clearing that up, two days a week I travel to anohter location to work for the same company so maybe I could claim expenses for them days :)

Thanks for the swift response. Im in the library so that maybe an issue, but its an actuall ATO page telling me I cant download it, not vic library. Maybe I need to wait til July 1st.
    Thanks for clearing that up, two days a week I travel to anohter location to work for the same company so maybe I could claim expenses for them days :)

I just downloaded it fine - I think the library would block it as it's essentially a exe

You can't claim any back.
    It's not a work related travel expense if its to and from your workplace, its just the expense of getting to work.
    Same for driving to and from work. not an expense.

If you were driving about the city on errands, or had to go anywhere in your car as part of work, say meetings, or to different places everyday, then its an expense. You can deduct this (as long as you aren't already compensated by the company.
    Did you pay for it?
    Then yes.

If you took the course before you were working then I don't think you can.

Thanks, ill go the internet shop round the corner and download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

With regard to being from the 6 counties as an Irish Passport holder, I had worked in Dublin for a few years before coming to Australia, but worked all my life in Tyrone and Belfast prior to that.

The medicare office told me that I was not entitled to a medicare card, as I hadn't lived in the 6 counties immediately before coming to Australia. According to them, had I been paying National Insurance up to my departure, I would have got a medicare card, but in my situation they saw me as an Irish resident on an Irish passport.

Time to look for my medicare levy exemption mehtinks. I haven't done my 2009/2010 return yet, but I think I'll do it now to get my levy refunded. I'm not expecting to have the certificate for another couple of weeks though. Should I wait until I have them before etaxing?

Cheers

TirEoghain wrote: »
    Time to look for my medicare levy exemption mehtinks. I haven't done my 2009/2010 return yet, but I think I'll do it now to get my levy refunded. I'm not expecting to have the certificate for another couple of weeks though. Should I wait until I have them before etaxing?

You can claim the levy back without a certificate. I didn't get one last year.
    you'll only need it if they query it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barrydarcy

Has anybody had problems with ETAX 2011 when I am trying to lodge the claim it is telling me that my details are unrecognised?:confused:

Does anybody know how the secret question function works either?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Thanks for the feedback Legend100, its quite complex as there's complications with share awards, DIRT etc.

So would anyone have any recommendations on a tax agent with the required expertise on both Irish and Australia tax systems?

Thanks in advance,

Rubberduckey

http://refundtax.ie/

I had a nosey on their website as I wanted to do my Irish tax return (for between 2004-2008 before I cam away) and their rates seem reasonable enough. They also do Aussie returns from the looks of things.

However, I havent used them yet so I cant give my opinion for sure; maybe contact them on the email first to see if they can help with both if it's a bit complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Same for driving to and from work. not an expense.

It claim be claimed as an expense if you need to carry tools/equipment ;)

Advertisement