Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should members of AGS declare their sexuality?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Following on from the other thread where a minor was strip searched, it was mentioned about male members may only be present when a strip search is being conducted and the same when a female is being search that only female members may be present when being strip searched.

Now my point is, should it not be based on their sexuality? Is it right that a gay Garda be present when a male is being strip searched? or a lesbian Garda looking on when a female prisoner is being searched.

Maybe I'm way off in my thinking but I think it's very wrong and they should declare their sexuality when joining the force.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Are you saying that they would not be capable of doing their job professionaly, based on their sexuality?

What bobbins :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You're kinda looking for a problem that's not there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

old hippy wrote: »
    Are you saying that they would not be capable of doing their job professionaly, based on their sexuality?

What bobbins :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous thing to say.

I don't mean that at all. I don't think it's right for a heterosexual male Garda to observe a female being strip searched the same as I don't think it's right for a gay Garda to observe a male being strip searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Following on from the other thread where a minor was strip searched, it was mentioned about male members may only be present when a strip search is being conducted and the same when a female is being search that only female members may be present when being strip searched.

Now my point is, should it not be based on their sexuality? Is it right that a gay Garda be present when a male is being strip searched? or a lesbian Garda looking on when a female prisoner is being searched.

Maybe I'm way off in my thinking but I think it's very wrong and they should declare their sexuality when joining the force.

Having to declare sexuality would turn a lot of gay and lesbians off joining in the first place.

If you were to do that, you would have to do the same with paramedics, and doctors, nurses. Why should it matter what the sexuality of the member is. I understand where you're coming from with your question.

However I would equate it to a man saying he won't go into a gay bar because they'd all want to shag him. I know a number of people who would be gay. I also know a number of Gardai who are Gay or Lesbian and they are some of the most professional people I know.

Big Lar wrote: »
    You're kinda looking for a problem that's not there

How do you know the problem isn't there? If I was to be strip searched tomorrow and there was two male Gardai observing me, I wouldn't comfortable knowing one of them was gay.

• Advertisement

How do you know the problem isn't there? If I was to be strip searched tomorrow and there was two male Gardai observing me, I wouldn't comfortable knowing one of them was gay.

Do you want them to wear a mark to show they're gay?

foinse wrote: »
    Having to declare sexuality would turn a lot of gay and lesbians off joining in the first place.

If you were to do that, you would have to do the same with paramedics, and doctors, nurses. Why should it matter what the sexuality of the member is. I understand where you're coming from with your question.

However I would equate it to a man saying he won't go into a gay bar because they'd all want to shag him. I know a number of people who would be gay. I also know a number of Gardai who are Gay or Lesbian and they are some of the most professional people I know.

Well why is there a rule in place that males observe males and females observe females? Why not let males observe females being strip searched?

Do you want them to wear a mark to show they're gay?

Absolutely not.

But maybe they should opt out of observing male strip searches.

Well why is there a rule in place that males observe males and females observe females? Why not let males observe females being strip searched?

In case of sexual assault claims. A second tier of protection is there to protect persons being searched. ie there are 2 members present, the Member in Charge and the arresting member.
    Absolutely not.

But maybe they should opt out of observing male strip searches.

Why should they?

So it's more about your discomfort, rather than the actions of the member?

• Advertisement

In case of sexual assault claims. A second tier of protection is there to protect persons being searched. ie there are 2 members present, the Member in Charge and the arresting member.

Why should they?

I know why there's two members there, that wasn't the question I asked.
    You stated...
    I also know a number of Gardai who are Gay or Lesbian and they are some of the most professional people I know.

Then I said..

My point being that are male Gardai not professional enough to be trusted observing female strip searches.

I know why there's two members there, that wasn't the question I asked.
    You stated...

Then I said..

My point being that are male Gardai not professional enough to be trusted observing female strip searches.

Of course they are, but the females being searched aren't to be trusted not to make vexatious complaints.

You're turning this into a debate about false sexual assault accusations. That is not the point I'm trying to make.

I'll repeat it.

If a male is being strip searched he must be observed by male Gardai, it is male Gardai because it is presumed that they are hetrosexual. The same example applies to females.

If this rule is there should it not be declared what the sexuality is of the Gardai that are observing the search?

You're turning this into a debate about false sexual assault accusations. That is not the point I'm trying to make.

I'll repeat it.

If a male is being strip searched he must be observed by male Gardai, it is male Gardai because it is presumed that they are hetrosexual. The same example applies to females.

If this rule is there should it not be declared what the sexuality is of the Gardai that are observing the search?

No I'm not, that was the answer to your question.

You said: My point being that are male Gardai not professional enough to be trusted observing female strip searches.

I said: Of course they are, but the females being searched aren't to be trusted not to make vexatious complaints.

This is the reason males search males, and females search females.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself too good. (wouldn't be the first time)

If you forget about the Gardas gender for a minute and think more about their sexuality only, then maybe you'll get where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭davetherave

I think I get what you are saying,
    If a female needs to be searched you want a hetrosexual female Garda to do the searching.
    If a male needs to be searched, you want a hetrosexual male Garda to do the searching.

What about bi-sexuals? Where do they belong in your scheme?

Do you really think a guard, homosexual or not, is going to be that eager to cop a feel or get a sneaky look at someone's gear and not do their job, miss evidence and get a case thrown out for it?

I'm being deadly serious here, do you have homophobia?

Edit: More to the point, how would you know one of them was gay? Do you want them branded or wearing special badges?

What about bi-sexuals?

I haven't got all the answers. I just started a discussion to discuss these subjects. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed into any strip searches?

Where do they belong in your scheme?

What scheme? :confused:

I'm being deadly serious here, do you have homophobia?

ehh..no. This is a sexuality issue not just about being homosexual.

Edit: More to the point, how would you know one of them was gay? Do you want them branded or wearing special badges?

You missed that point completely. Go back a read it again and NO I don't want them labelled/branded or anything stupid like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Thats your problem, not theirs. If you dont know it wont hurt.

Furthermore most LGBT individuals are not "out", particularly in organisations like AGS, so even if they had to "declare" you wouldnt know. And those that are out are comfortable enough with their sexuality that they dont need to get their jollies from a strip search.

lst wrote: »
    Thats your problem, not theirs. If you dont know it wont hurt.

Furthermore most LGBT individuals are not "out", particularly in organisations like AGS, so even if they had to "declare" you wouldnt know. And those that are out are comfortable enough with their sexuality that they dont need to get their jollies from a strip search.

Hi lst,

Will you answer me this one question. Is it OK for a male Garda to perform a strip search on a female prisoner? If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I'll repeat it.

incorrect. There is no question of sexuality in this instance, The reason it is a male is that they share the same genitalia, nothing more. same as segregated changing rooms, bathrooms etc. Its a segregation we've grown up with and are naturally more comfortable with, so reduces the embarrassment for the person being searched. The garda is a professional doing their job, the sex of the garda is to save the person being searched some embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Hi lst,

Will you answer me this one question. Is it OK for a male Garda to perform a strip search on a female prisoner? If not why not?

because the female may feel more exposed as its a member of the opposite sex. they have different bits than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Hi lst,

Its intimidating! Its not just about sexuality. A man standing over a woman is obviously a man - gay or straight.

When you see a guy you dont know if hes gay, straight, bi, trans, or even a sexual, hes a man. His body is (roughly) the same as yours. Another man hasnt got anything they havnt seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

There are two reasons why female on male (and male on female) strip searches are not allowed:
    1. The discomfort of the searchee
    2. To reduce the risk of claims of inpropriety (which is also the reason for a chaperone).

Clearly, the rules against male on female, and female on male, searches are motivated (at least partly) by 'sexuality' (is there any more risk of a hetero male AGS doing an inappropriate search of a female than a lesbian AGS?), so the OP has a valid point. However, it is not all a one-way-street. The privacy of the AGS (or doctor or nurse etc..) has to be considered also. It is a relatively simple mattter to prohibit male on female (and vice versa) searches. It is a relatively simple mattter to insist on chaperones. Putting in place these safeguards does not cause any untoward harm to the rights of the AGS.

Requiring an AGS to declare their sexuality does have a negative consequence for the privacy of the AGS (who does not wish to declare same). It is therefore a disproportionate response. And is therefore not justified.

Does it leave a small risk to the searchee? Yes.
    Is that risk justified on privacy grounds of the AGS? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yellow stars for the jews, pink stars for the gays...

Yes, you are "way off", and no, they shouldn't have to declare their sexuality, and/or preference of Smarties over Maltesers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lets not forget the non white Garda they should declare that to.

the_syco wrote: »
    Yellow stars for the jews, pink stars for the gays...
    Lets not forget the non white Garda they should declare that to.
    In fairness to the OP, and while I dont agree with him, the premise of his OP doesnt deserve this level of derision.

If the reason for these rules is based (at least partly) on the risk (or perception of risk) that someone of the opposite sex might sexually assault a searchee, raising the question of those who are homosexual is not completely off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Actually it does, the suggestion that if you are standing in a room while being searched you get to pick and choose the sexuality of the Garda searching you is beyond silly.

Zambia wrote: »
    Actually it does, the suggestion that if you are standing in a room while being searched you get to pick and choose the sexuality of the Garda searching you is beyond silly.
    It is not so much that the searchee (or patient, as this issue applies to the medical sphere) gets to choose the sex or sexuality, it is whether the sexuality of the searcher should be considered when rules & regulations are made in this area.

A person's sex is already considered, primarily as an indicator of whether a sexual assault is more likely (or perceived as more likely), so the suggestion that sexuality might be considered is hardly outlandish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I know exactly where the OP is coming from, but I think his proposed 'solution' causes more trouble than it's worth.

We're about to hit the same problem in the US military with the repeal of the ability to separate servicemen on the grounds of sexual orientation. Thus far, soldiers have been sleeping in the same room as, or showering in the same communal showers, as some soldiers who have been sexually oriented in their direction. But until now, this has been done in blissful ignorance and has caused no trouble as long as everyone behaves themselves. All of a sudden, there are now concerns of discomfort with identified persons. It's a valid opinion, after all, the main reason we separate by gender is to avoid complaints of inappropriate conduct, harrassment, and so on, by the opposite gender because of the presumption of sexual attraction.

However. A prisoner being searched has likely no way of knowing the sexual orientation of the searcher. As a result, (s)he makes the presumption (as does everyone reading the reports afterwards) of heterosexuality. If the search is done to standard (and especially if it is observed) then the searchee is in utter ignorance and thus cannot feel any excessive levels of discomfort. There's absolutely no benefit to a public proclamation.

NTM

• Advertisement

Hi lst,

I already answered this question for you.

Can I ask you, Would you also advocate the provision of seperate changing rooms for LGBT persons, at say pools, gyms, spa's....etc?

Advertisement