Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should bjj be graded without gi?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

if you understand no explanation is neccessary, if you dont no explanation is possible

most of the guys discussing this are raw white belts in bjj, no offence but the subtleties of this are lost on you. if you are looking for or think there is a simple black and white answer then its obvious to me you dont understand the question. im rolling about 15yrs now and starting to get an understanding.

a couple of points...
    • BJJ/Submission/'No-Gi' are all very new sports, how belt/skill levels are divided is still being figured out - its going to be an area of contention/change over the coming years. get used to and become comfortable with change.
    • players joining different teams and then being demoted is not uncommon.
    • the only reason why there is colored belt 'world champions' is to make the federation money on entry fees. there of course should only be one in each weight category. there is no judo green belt world champion or 'mid-level' freestyle wrestling world champion. however its a handy way for the federation to generate money as they dont have the same sponsors like judo would.
    • there is a big difference between a 'club level' purple belt and a 'world champion' purple belt. this is were the coaches interpretation of belt level comes in to it. personally ive seen some purple belts who i'd be hard pressed to give 2 or 3 stripes on a white belt, then again some purple belts who are more like good 'club level' blackbelts. for example i'd be willing to bet the current mundial purple belt champion would be better than most 'club level' blackbelts...certainly in a 'sport' bjj match anyway, in a no time limit role the art/experience side comes in...
    • none of this really matters. just train, focus on improving and the belts along with the understanding will come in time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

/end of thread

Hold on, actual conversation had last week:

"What's he like?"
    "he's a blue belt, he's very good"
    "Oh a good blue?"
    "Yeah training like, 10 years"
    "and he's still a blue?"
    "Well some of those when he was a kid"
    "so he's not a blue long? Is he purple standard"
    "I dunno, more like very good blue. maybe purple actually"
    "Close to purple?"
    "No just very good blue"
    "Better than most blues?"
    "I haven't rolled with most blues"
    "LOL but he's not a raw blue?"
    "What's a raw blue?"

This went on for about 30 more lines on Facebook. It's all pretty meaningless. Why not just show up and train? If someone gives you a belt one day smile and look on it as an achievement.

"It's the Road, Not the Inn"- Cervantes

And then I came across this on BJJ.ie when I was looking at the Grade list

http://www.bjj.ie/2011/04/12/marks-blog-100-matches/

Interesting reading but I thought it was worth putting up for the opening paragraph re: why to compete. If anyone is really concerned about a grade, then I think it would be worth going to some competitions to see how your "grade", "belt", "sash" etc. stacks up against others around the same level. But most don't.

Advertisement