Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should bjj be graded without gi?

Options
  • 05-06-2011 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i have been training bjj for nearly 4 years no and have not graded,my instructor is a blackbelt but doesn't want to grade me as i have never trained bjj with the gi .I was wondering what people thought about this?should bjj gradings only be for people who train with the gi or both?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I won't recommend my lads for grading unless they train in the gi, someone like chris Brennan who teaches no gi bjj will grade no gi, either way there both equally accepted and are the same grades.

I argued in the past that it wasnt bjj out of the gi and was sub wrestling but fact remains there both recognised by the governing body if graded by qualified person such as chris Brennan

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu without the Gi is still Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. I don't think it's feasible to have different belts for Gi and NoGi, so would prefer to believe that if a BJJ black belt pomotes you to Blue/Purple/Brown/Black then you are that belt and at that level.

However, each school has different criteria for promotion. If your instructor won't promote you without you training in the Gi AND you want to be promoted, then you have a choice to make. You can train in the Gi, or move to another school where you can be promoted without traiing in the Gi.

I think you should be competitive with people of your belt level with and without a gi.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paganist

I think up to purple belt you should be graded even if you dont train in the gi.
    I mean if someone is training six years nogi they can compete at the nogi worlds as a white belt- thats ****ed up

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Imo, the gi game and the no gi game are completely different and should be graded as such. I'd believe somebody who's made it to purple belt purely training no gi would demolish somebody who'd trained purely in a gi in a no gi match and vice versa.

I know it was definitely an eye-opener for me when I entered Barry's recent tournament having never trained no gi. Sure, some of the techniques are the same, yet many are different, some techniques are just viable for gi and some just viable for no gi.

Imo, in the brief time I've rolled no gi at Barry's, the no gi game is much faster and quicker reactions are needed whereas the gi game is much more relying on your patience and set-ups, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Imo, the gi game and the no gi game are completely different and should be graded as such. I'd believe somebody who's made it to purple belt purely training no gi would demolish somebody who'd trained purely in a gi in a no gi match and vice versa.

All very good and all, and you are mostly likely correct. However the problem arises in that the governing body, the IBJJF does not, for the moment anyway, allow for a distinction. So if you have graded to any belt level in either Gi or no-Gi, that grade is transferable across Gi or no-Gi competitions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Is this thread for real or some passive-aggressive dig at either Chris Leddy or any of the nogi BJJ players in Ireland?

I think if you have an opinion on that issue then post it in the other thread.

If on the other hand this is a genuine inquiry, then I think its all the one game. I consider it BJJ no matter what you're wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is this thread for real or some passive-aggressive dig at either Chris Leddy or any of the nogi BJJ players in Ireland?

If on the other hand this is a genuine inquiry, then I think its all the one game. I consider it BJJ no matter what you're wearing.

Barry in fairness to the OP this thread was posted while the other thread was locked.

People were anxious for answer's as the other thread was locked overnight so we kind of expected this thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

+1 armbars are armbars, triangles are triangles....

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

and collar chokes happen constantly in nogi:P

• Advertisement

Then lets call it Judo :p

ah jaysus.. then it would just get stood up all the time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kieran81 wrote: »
    and collar chokes happen constantly in nogi:P

Sure there are differences, but they are more similar than different, the same principles apply to each.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    ah jaysus.. then it would just get stood up all the time!!!

But at least butt flopping would be illegal, and we might get our new BJ-Judo into the olympics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I peronsally think that if you've been graded in the gi then that obviously translates across but not the other way around. A nogi grade is just that. But I see no issue with people being graded in just nogi.

BrianjG wrote: »
    I peronsally think that if you've been graded in the gi then that obviously translates across but not the other way around. A nogi grade is just that. But I see no issue with people being graded in just nogi.

Whut?

Seriously?

It works one way but not the other for you? Why?

Becuase someone with only nogi training has no experience of gi chokes, grips, etc so how can they be considered the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Becuase someone with only nogi training has no experience of gi chokes, grips, etc so how can they be considered the same.
    So what happens when they no longer have access to these grips and chokes?

If it's no big deal for them to adapt, then why is it a big deal for the no-gi guy to adapt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Just because you put on a Gi doesnt mean you forget all the BJJ you have learned up to that point.

Gi guy depends on grips a lot of the time. So they get to adapt but the nogi guy gets a pass back to white belt if he switches?

I'm sticking to my original opinion. You've just lost yourself a voter BrianjG.

• Advertisement

You are assuming that he knows the move in the first place. If the nogi guy has never been shown how to do a zipper choke or a collar choke from side control how is he going to adapt to it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Its easier to know 100 techniques and need 20 than know 20 and need 100!

You are assuming that he knows the move in the first place. If the nogi guy has never been shown how to do a zipper choke or a collar choke from side control how is he going to adapt to it in the first place?
    By just doing something else. Most people only have a few go-to moves that they use regularly. Knowing less moves isn't really going to that huge a disadvantage, provided the moves you do know and use transfer over.

By just doing something else. Most people only have a few go-to moves that they use regularly. Knowing less moves isn't really going to that huge a disadvantage, provided the moves you do know and use transfer over.

Yes I agree with that 100% but that doesnt equate to grading and thats what the OP asked.

Yes I agree with that 100% but that doesnt equate to grading and thats what the OP asked.

Well I guess ultimately it's an academic question as BJJ IS graded nogi. But you've made yourself a powerful enemy today Brian.

I have to say I really don't buy the grade thing, despite being in it of course. To me the only thing that matters is "am I better than I was yesterday" or last week, or last year. It's a reasonable marker of standards and I suppose motivation for some people, but I could very easily live without it.

So why does the grading only go one way? After all, it's possible the gi-based guy may not know how to grip and set up a lot of his moves in no-gi. If you don't know the no-gi way of doing things (and I mean that from the technically correct, exam day point of view), are you deserving of the rank?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

High level jiu jitsu is all about grips, and grip fighting.
    High level no gi grades can never challenge with this, they just do not have the gi training behind them..

Also an awareness and understanding of the open guard and its potential is lost by training without the gi, IMO,

Anyways how many purely no gi black belts win any big tournaments?? none...

Sure it is grappling, but can it be classed as 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' or is it sub wrestling etc...

I do believe that no gi t-shirt holders should be allowed to grade for their gi ranks as well, even for just the experience.

A belt should be handed out as confirmation of a students skill level, if the student doesn't feel at that level and they haven't received a actual gi grade then I don't see the problem.

Its kind of like a Judo black belt entering the white belt division of a BJJ tournament, Its frowned upon but as far as i'm aware it is at your own discretion.

Well I guess ultimately it's an academic question as BJJ IS graded nogi. But you've made yourself a powerful enemy today Brian.

Well who wants a weak enemy! :D but yes in the great scheme of things it doesnt really matter. I'm not trying to knock anyone.
    So why does the grading only go one way? After all, it's possible the gi-based guy may not know how to grip and set up a lot of his moves in no-gi. If you don't know the no-gi way of doing things (and I mean that from the technically correct, exam day point of view), are you deserving of the rank?

Thats true but only speaking from my own experience we are usually shown the nogi alternative too during our gi class. The nogi guy wont really have that option.

da-bres wrote: »

A belt should be handed out as confirmation of a students skill level, if the student doesn't feel at that level and they haven't received a actual gi grade then I don't see the problem.

Its kind of like a Judo black belt entering the white belt division of a BJJ tournament, Its frowned upon but as far as i'm aware it is at your own discretion.

Its kinda not Joey! Judo and Jiu Jitsu are two different sports/arts... and no matter how much you wish it, explain it or justify it... Gi and no-Gi are, at the moment the same sport. Where the grade in one form is accepted and transfarable to the other...
    I'm not saying it is right or wrong, thats just how the IBJJF do it at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Its kinda not Joey! Judo and Jiu Jitsu are two different sports/arts... and no matter how much you wish it, explain it or justify it... Gi and no-Gi are, at the moment the same sport. Where the grade in one form is accepted and transfarable to the other...
    I'm not saying it is right or wrong, thats just how the IBJJF do it at moment.

Thanks for the reply shane,

I was always under the impression that a Judo black belt is supposed to fight in the blue belt division, regardless of bjj experience. I stand corrected if I am wrong.

''Gi and no-Gi are, at the moment the same sport''

Is this so? where abouts in the IBJJF rules does it say that gi jiu jitsu and no-gi jiu jitsu are the same sport??
    They are very similar, yes, and have much the same rules, but clearly a lack of gi makes one different to the other.

BDW I have never seen a specification in IBJJF rules regarding a no gi JJ belt in a gi competition.

I think it would be best if a higher ranked No-gi player could specify if their belt is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Belt or is it a specifically next Generation Jiu Jitsu belt, or tenth planet belt or whatever.

Im not dissing the no gi grade BDW im just trying to fully understand how it fits into the Gi Jiu jitsu competitions.

Advertisement