Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

We sent away the subjects for which the grade is subjective(English, Irish, Language). For subjects in which the answer is either right or wrong, they were kept in house (Physics, Chem, Bio). Maths was the only outlier, being sent away despite the fact there is a definite answer to be had at the end.
    Orals were delivered by external examiners as well. Worked well I think, and kept the price relatively down.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

We got our mocks corrected externally by some company and the majority of them were well corrected to be honest. Irish was one of the major exceptions to that, and it was corrected atrociously! First of all, the 'corrector' used the old Irish marking scheme for the poetry/pró's, giving 25 marks for each instead of 30. In my mock exam, he/she 'forgot' to add like 25 marks, or else they cannot use a calculator. And furthermore, this corrector didn't even mark our mistakes on the paper. He/she just did like 3 ticks per page and that was it, she didn't correct our work in any way. Like we learned nothing in it because our mistakes weren't corrected by the corrector. But on the other hand, for the French mock, it was corrected perfectly. The corrector left notes on everyone's exam saying area's for them to improve on and what brought their mark down in a certain question. I really appreciated that!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Does anyone know when you ask to view your script in August are u put into a room on your own with/without the teacher or ate you in a room with other students? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Does anyone know when you ask to view your script in August are u put into a room on your own with/without the teacher or ate you in a room with other students? :)

In our school you're put into a large room with lots of other students and a few teachers. Might be different in other schools though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

In my school they are in one of the class rooms and the teacher of the subject views the paper with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Hope everybody had a good leprechaun day.

I would be the one to leave 3 Manufacturing accounts (and all my homework for that matter) to do the day before school. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Did the exact same left all my homework until today even though we finished at 1 Friday :(

I also have to write a Macbeth essay on 'The aspects that make it relevant to a 21st century audience' not a clue where to even start

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Any hangovers this morning? :D

We're doing a full two paper maths exam tomorrow and I haven't even begun to revise yet. Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Ugh, slaghdán. Would't mind but I'm one of those kinda semi-germophobic people. Like I wash my hands what is probably far too often and touch door handles with my sleeve over my hands and all. It's weird enough, I know. I just don't like getting sick is all. Ironic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Only saw that there :p You're assigned a room in your school with one or two teachers there supervising. You get given a certain time slot (three or so hours from what I remember) and the number of students in with you can vary. There wasn't too many people in my room last year, just me and three others. There's marking schemes all there and you're allowed bring in a teacher if you want, you have to contact them yourself though. :)

Touch wood, none of us will need to view them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ugh, slaghdán. Would't mind but I'm one of those kinda semi-germophobic people. Like I wash my hands what is probably far too often and touch door handles with my sleeve over my hands and all. It's weird enough, I know. I just don't like getting sick is all. Ironic :rolleyes:
    Is it really bad that I had to look up slaghdan and I'm doing hl Irish? :)

Is it really bad that I had to look up slaghdan and I'm doing hl Irish? :)

Ha, I wouldn't say so, I'm just an Irish freak!

OL Irish FTW!

decisions wrote: »
    OL Irish FTW!

With mock oral take two on tomorrow (cheers for that miss!), I'm half tempted to agree with you but then again, Irish <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Does anyone if when answering the poetry and stories section in Irish, know if you can use simple Irish and still get full marks? I am kinda confused if I should be trying to complicate things a bit more when answering these sections :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anyone else finding it impossible to study? I just can't concentrate on anything for longer than 15 minutes and even when I am concentrating I'm not taking it in very well and I end up going over it like 4 times before I move on.

I've just noticed a cut on my foot where someone stood on me last night. :( The amount of times I was shoved out of the way, stood on, hit in the head and had randomers arms around my shoulder last night was unbelievable.

Since the mocks I havnt really had any focus. I think I need the pressure of imminent exams to really work.

decisions wrote: »
    Since the mocks I havnt really had any focus. I think I need the pressure of imminent exams to really work.
    Exactly my thinking. Like we've a test on the differentiation proofs and stuff someday this week and I've learned them and we've an accounting test on control accounts the first day after Easter and I've done that as well but now I've hit a wall.

I really need to get my head down and work, need about 60 more points in the LC than I got in the mocks.

Why have I got no motivation?!

• Advertisement

It's like the closer it gets to the exams, the less motivated I get.

David1994 wrote: »
    Does anyone if when answering the poetry and stories section in Irish, know if you can use simple Irish and still get full marks? I am kinda confused if I should be trying to complicate things a bit more when answering these sections :L

With poetry and stories, I'm 90% sure you can write in simple Irish. I'm almost positive that there are 0 marks going for your level of Irish, and all 30 are going for your knowledge of the poetry or story question. So yeah, it is perfectly acceptable to repeat 'Tá' the whole time! But saying that, if you're in higher level anyways, you need to know words like 'codarsnacht' etc, like the poetic terms you will use in your answer if you get me. You don't need saor-bhriatar's and modh coinnolach's and all that.

ray2012 wrote: »
    With poetry and stories, I'm 90% sure you can write in simple Irish. I'm almost positive that there are 0 marks going for your level of Irish, and all 30 are going for your knowledge of the poetry or story question. So yeah, it is perfectly acceptable to repeat 'Tá' the whole time! But saying that, if you're in higher level anyways, you need to know words like 'codarsnacht' etc, like the poetic terms you will use in your answer if you get me. You don't need saor-bhriatar's and modh coinnolach's and all that.

On last year's marking scheme it says this under Prós;

Caithfidh an Scrúdaitheoir an marc as 25 (Ábhar) agus as 5 (Gaeilge) a
    thaispeáint go soiléir sna hionaid chuí ar an bhfreagarleabhar.

so there's only five going for saibhris na Gaeilge. We can only assume it's the same for Filíocht and Litríocht Breise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

ray2012 wrote: »

Ah yeah like my standard is way better than just saying like "Ta" the whole time :L But sometimes I can't think of anything really complicated to say! :P

That's good so..I never knew that they were no marks going for Irish in them.
    Thanks.

Has anyone got a general list of topics to cover for the OL Irish Alt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

peekachoo wrote: »
    Any hangovers this morning? :D

We're doing a full two paper maths exam tomorrow and I haven't even begun to revise yet. Oops.

None today, but there will be lots in school tomorrow after our cup win today. Loads are heading out, and I'm here prepping for a debate tomorrow night. :rolleyes:

Jackobyte wrote: »

None today, but there will be lots in school tomorrow after our cup win today. Loads are heading out, and I'm here prepping for a debate tomorrow night. :rolleyes:
    There's dedication for ya :P

Jackobyte wrote: »

Munster / Leinster? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

"what a strange meeting" essay due tomorrow. Help?

• Advertisement

I'm going for Munster, Jr or Sr SC?

Cresent?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement