Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leannejoshua

heathcliff wrote: »
    I just rang to see if my application was being dealt with and got the news that I have been awarded it :) I had rang last week and it hadn't been so keep checking back with them weekly for individual updates!!

What is the number you are ringing ? I tried a few times on the lowcall number but no success..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭heathcliff

What is the number you are ringing ? I tried a few times on the lowcall number but no success..

The number I rang is 1890 66 22 44, when you ring don't press any number and wait to be put through to a member of staff..Have your PPS number ready

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leannejoshua

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

Hi I was wondering does anyone know what is the situation with this payment. I rang my local health board to get the form sent out to me and they informed me that they are no longer dealing with it and they don't know who is dealing with it now, that is all the information they have. They said there should be a statement soon and to keep an eye out for statements in media!!

Hi heathcliff.
    HSE were dealing with the BSA up until very recently, Social welfare are now looking after all BSA applications, but dont hold your breath, there is a 6/8 week delay in this payment so some people wont recieve it til October

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holyfield10

Got mine today direct into the bank. I had posted the application form about 7 weeks ago. :)

• Advertisement

:) Payment in the bank account today!!..( No letter though, presuming that will come later!!!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

I just rang to see if my application was being dealt with and got the news that I have been awarded it :) I had rang last week and it hadn't been so keep checking back with them weekly for individual updates!!

Gave them a call yesterday and was told Im not registered on the system yet :( I may give up on the idea of getting it at this stage. Delighted to hear you got it though :)

sassa wrote: »
    Gave them a call yesterday and was told Im not registered on the system yet :( I may give up on the idea of getting it at this stage. Delighted to hear you got it though :)

Don't give up!!! I was panicking too!!! I was ringing once a week just to see and keep an eye on your bank account because I still never got a letter even though I got it!!!..The only thing I can say is start getting small things for school and then you feel you don't have to get "everything"..(that was what I was doing anyhow)

Fingers crossed it comes soon, put up a post if it comes, its good to hear of people getting it so at least everyone knows that they are getting through them!!!
    Best of Luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

If your net income is €635 and the limit is €563 , is ther any point in applying .

what else is taken into account in the means test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Mine was in bank today no letter either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The number I rang is 1890 66 22 44, when you ring don't press any number and wait to be put through to a member of staff..Have your PPS number ready

i phoned this number earlier and the girl told me they are processing forms that were sent in the 1st week of july and we should get our payment in the next 2 to 3 weeks fingers crossed

mags1962 wrote: »
    Mine was in bank today no letter either

Brilliant, happy days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Can someone tell me if letters to Social Welfare /HSE are still freepost ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

i phoned on wednesday and was told mine hadn't been dealt with yet. does that mean i have weeks to wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Does anyone have any experience for applying for BTSCFA for a student over 18? My daughter turned 18 just before she finished leaving cert in June and was therefore taken off my JSA claim as not currently in full time education. SHe will be starting college in September but I obviously cannot get a letter to prove this as results and offers not out yet. I have written a letter asking for application to be finished for younger 2 children and that I will reapply for her in September when she is starting college? Is this the correct thing to do? Thanks

jayjayxxx wrote: »
    i phoned on wednesday and was told mine hadn't been dealt with yet. does that mean i have weeks to wait..

Not necessarily, I had rang one week not in the system and the next week the money was in my account..It all depends how early you applied I am presuming!!!

Not necessarily, I had rang one week not in the system and the next week the money was in my account..It all depends how early you applied I am presuming!!!

Was just wondering when you sent your form i sent mine on the 4th of july no word yet starting to panic now

Was just wondering when you sent your form i sent mine on the 4th of july no word yet starting to panic now

I sent mine around the 6th/7th of July, did you ring the low call number that I put up earlier in a post, have your PPS number ready, don't press any number and wait to speak to someone, they will be able to tell you if you are in the system or not and if you are getting paid into your bank account then check it regularly because I got it last week but got no letter as of yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

i phoned this number earlier and the girl told me they are processing forms that were sent in the 1st week of july and we should get our payment in the next 2 to 3 weeks fingers crossed

Isnt it mad though
    1. forms only available 30th June & they are saying 8 weeks to process ie kids be back at school then
    2. Week 1 forms are only being processed now a month later ... tried that number - cut off as soon as it connects - ill persevere today though

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gerryandliza

After having sent 2 x text messages for the forms which never arrived, then phoning the center and finally receiving the forms. We sent the forms by registered mail in mid July. Have been ringing the center twice a week and every time getting the same rehearsed speech from the operators ie '50000 backlogged applications, 6 - 8 week waiting period'. We were told last Thursday that they were only processing applications received in the first week of July. Went to the CWO last Thursday and they told us that they cannot help us as social protection is now dealing with BTS. CWO advised us to contact out local TD which we did via email, still havent heard back from him :mad:. Kids starting school on the 24th and we have no means of kitting them out. So no BTS allowance before school starts and CWO cant do relief payment, so looks as though the kids wont be able to start school on time.

• Advertisement

I got through to the number & surprise surprise they have no form processed for me. She admitted herself that they should have logged forms as they came in as most of the queries are people just want to know do you have their form or not. so she said wait 6-8 weeks to see does it transpire - I politely reminded her 30th sept is cut off - which is 8 weeks away. 2 years ago they lost my form twice & they then could do nothing after 30th sept. so unfortunately im being left no choice but to constantly contact them.

lucy2010 wrote: »
    I got through to the number & surprise surprise they have no form processed for me. She admitted herself that they should have logged forms as they came in as most of the queries are people just want to know do you have their form or not. so she said wait 6-8 weeks to see does it transpire - I politely reminded her 30th sept is cut off - which is 8 weeks away. 2 years ago they lost my form twice & they then could do nothing after 30th sept. so unfortunately im being left no choice but to constantly contact them.

this is awful so do you think if they loss our forms we may not get grant at all i,ll be ringing again to check mine .Uniforms are so expensive i am starting to panic now i am sure you are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Really don't understand why they use a differnt means test, testing on gross income making it look like i'm raking it in, when in reality i'm scraping by, I get topped up by lone parents payments, but it looks like I'm still over the limit for Back to School?

Just a quick update. We received a phonecall this morning from our local TD's office to say that the minister for Social Protection has meetings tomorrow to try and clear the backlog which we were told this morning is actually BIGGER than 50 000. They are processing +- 3000 applications a day. Not much help for us parents whose kids are due back at school in 2 weeks time. Would advise everyone who is still waiting to phone their local TD's and put as much pressure on as possible.

Just a quick update. We received a phonecall this morning from our local TD's office to say that the minister for Social Protection has meetings tomorrow to try and clear the backlog which we were told this morning is actually BIGGER than 50 000. They are processing +- 3000 applications a day. Not much help for us parents whose kids are due back at school in 2 weeks time. Would advise everyone who is still waiting to phone their local TD's and put as much pressure on as possible.

Was on the phone today they told me that my payment has been approved and i will get it on monday .They are dealing with letters sent in first week of july so hopefully you will get your,s soon .

Was on the phone today they told me that my payment has been approved and i will get it on monday .They are dealing with letters sent in first week of july so hopefully you will get your,s soon .

Whats bothering me is they have been telling everyone that now for weeks. I sent mine in 1st week of July & still nothing - Im not even on their system as of this morning. So god help the poor sod who sat waiting diligently for their forms or letter & didnt get it sent in the 1st week. Its very frustrating. If the forms had been logged as they received them like every other social welfare claim at least we would know its being processed, not being told to wait 8 weeks befre you even know if they have it.

Harte welcomes Back to School Allowance update from Minister

Issued : Friday 12 August, 2011
    Statement by Senator Jimmy Harte

"Having been contacted by many parents of school going children in recent days, I have been in touch with Minister Joan Burton's office and they informed me that this year the administration of the Back to School Footwear and Clothing Allowance (BTSCFA) is being undertaken by the Department of Social Protection for the first time with the processing of claims being carried out in Letterkenny. Whilst the Information Section in Sligo are providing general information to telephone callers regarding the qualification and application process, they cannot advise on the status of an already submitted claims.

"According to the Minister, in June, over 127,000 customers received their 2011 payments automatically based on having previously qualified and still meeting the criteria. Applications have been accepted since the start of July and to date a further 56,000 claims have been received from customers who couldn't be matched in the automated process. Claims continue to arrive at over 1,500 per day but this is down from an average 3,000 per day received in the first two weeks of July and 2,000 per day in the second two weeks of July.

"The Department is working on clearing this large volume of claims as quickly as possible, but due to the large volume received, it could take up to 8 weeks from date of receipt to process claims. 12,000 claims have been processed to date.

"The receipt of individual claims is not being recorded so they cannot advise customers if their claim has been received and their advice at the minute is not to contact the Department to ask the question unless and until, they haven't had any contact from Department within 8 weeks of submitting their claim. Contact details for such enquires will be made available at the end of August.

"I will keep in touch with the Department officials and can assure those parents who are concerned about the payments that it is a priority with the Minister at present."

Once again just phoned the information line. Was informed that they are STILL processing applications received in the first week of July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jayjayxxx

Once again just phoned the information line. Was informed that they are STILL processing applications received in the first week of July!

i sent in my form first week in july and so did my sister inlaw her form was sent back as she forgot to sign it an she stil recieved her payment about 2 weeks ago. I'm praying its in post office today.

• Advertisement

sent in my form first week in july and so did my sister inlaw her form was sent back as she forgot to sign it an she stil recieved her payment about 2 weeks ago. I'm praying its in post office today.[/QUOTE]

Consider yourselfs very lucky then. All we can do is wait and see, without it our kids cant go back to school:(

Advertisement