Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Surely by that logic I could claim that any of the games I'm selling on adverts are super rare and jack up the pri.....er.....heh ..back in a minute!

Yep, because I would imagine the mods would be asking you to define 'rare'. Label them how you want & charge what you want seems to be the order of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is there much wiggle room on that €25 btw? I was looking at getting it on the Saturn via ebay, but might buy yours for the right price.

hang on
    "AV Multi Out Very Rare SNES Super Nintendo"?
    Pretty much every snes I've seen has that AV out?
    And you can pick up several snes's with more games on adverts for around half that price? So basically jacked up price for something that's allegedly a rare feature but isnt? Surely that needs reporting?

If its priced too high it won't sell. Who cares?

Nobody gets ripped off on something that doesnt sell. If the seller wants to waste his time with a daft price then good luck to him.

So long as they're not constantly bumping the item or interfering with other peoples ads I couldn't give two hoots about it. Winding the seller up just creates more work and hassle for the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

keithgeo wrote: »
    Pretty sure he had that up for 300 at first. I remember thinking it was a ridiculous price. Any ideas what that cab was originally?
    I'd guess it was Arkanoid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

is there much wiggle room on that €25 btw? I was looking at getting it on the Saturn via ebay, but might buy yours for the right price.
    I'd consider going 20 + postage (or collection)
    Its over at :
    http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/rare-playstation-game-d-warp/2222831
    if you're interested

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If its priced too high it won't sell. Who cares?

Nobody gets ripped off on something that doesnt sell. If the seller wants to waste his time with a daft price then good luck to him.

So long as they're not constantly bumping the item or interfering with other peoples ads I couldn't give two hoots about it. Winding the seller up just creates more work and hassle for the mods.
    you have a point , there is the idea that something is worth exactly what people will pay for it.
    The other side of the coin is that most of the lads here would have a rough idea whats rare and what isnt, and you hate to see someone unwittingly spending way over the odds on something .
    Caveat emptor I guess ;)

you have a point , there is the idea that something is worth exactly what people will pay for it.
    The other side of the coin is that most of the lads here would have a rough idea whats rare and what isnt, and you hate to see someone unwittingly spending way over the odds on something .
    Caveat emptor I guess ;)

Not only that but when people are paying over the odds for stuff like retro games, it fukcs up the real pricing for actual collectors. Anyone remember the boxed PS1's for €35? Yeah, thought so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

These over priced games and consoles are giving people the wrong perception of what they are worth. They haven't a clue what their SNES is worth but when they see battered old SNES, yellowed as Steptoe's teeth and not even with all the cables for 150 stingers they get cash in the attic fever and think that theirs is worth more even though that first one will never sell. Pretty much all the fair priced stuff on adverts has dried up because of this.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    These over priced games and consoles are giving people the wrong perception of what they are worth. They haven't a clue what their SNES is worth but when they see battered old SNES, yellowed as Steptoe's teeth and not even with all the cables for 150 stingers they get cash in the attic fever and think that theirs is worth more even though that first one will never sell. Pretty much all the fair priced stuff on adverts has dried up because of this.

It makes no difference if someone sees an overpriced ad and thinks their SNES is worth 150.

If something is overpriced it won't sell. The seller will either have to drop the price, or it'll sit there unsold.

If something is overpriced it won't sell

If only that were true. You see dirt being bought every day for over odds money, & once an item sells for over the odds, it affects what relative items are worth. It all has a knock on affect.

Your right in that the likes of that filthy rare av port Snes won't sell at that money, but there are many other examples of stuff that has sold over the odds.

RAGE for example get over the odds, near retail prices for games don't they? In such a case, thats going to affect peoples perception of what those games are actually worth

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    If only that were true. You see dirt being bought every day for over odds money, & once an item sells for over the odds, it affects what relative items are worth. It all has a knock on affect.

Your right in that the likes of that filthy rare av port Snes won't sell at that money, but there are many other examples of stuff that has sold over the odds.

RAGE for example get over the odds, near retail prices for games don't they? In such a case, thats going to affect peoples perception of what those games are actually worth

One person selling something higher than everyone else can't affect the market value unless they control supply.

The market value is whatever people are willing to pay, and if there's a whole bunch of new retro gamers willing to pay 'over the odds' for something, well that's just the way it goes. With something like that overpriced SNES, it's just going to sit there unsold and have no effect.

RAGE is no different to any other shop selling used items. They have overheads and a need for profit that a private seller doesnt. It doesnt affect market prices any more than a car dealer charging more for a used car compared to a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

One person selling something higher than everyone else can't affect the market value unless they control supply.

The market value is whatever people are willing to pay, and if there's a whole bunch of new retro gamers willing to pay 'over the odds' for something, well that's just the way it goes. With something like that overpriced SNES, it's just going to sit there unsold and have no effect.

RAGE is no different to any other shop selling used items. They have overheads and a need for profit that a private seller doesnt. It doesnt affect market prices any more than a car dealer charging more for a used car compared to a private seller.

Car dealer is selling expertise and a product that is checked and with a warranty, should be anyway.
    Some of the stuff from the rage is manky dirty and from their pricing at times I wouldn't call them experts.

Ok man, whatever you say :)

In the real world, the boxed PS1's were a prime example of it...they were bought for €35 & then start appearing AND SELLING for much bigger money elsewhere. At the time, I did start noticing more PS1's cropping up for over the odds money, because as mentioned above by Retr0, some people got 'cash in the attic' syndrome & it artificially raised the prices. It could have died down again by now, but all isn't as clear cut 1+1=2 as you make it out to be.

Personally, I don't give a toss what people charge for items, overpriced or not it helps to have a rough idea of what something is actually worth when dealing in retro games. Some stuff is hard to price, some isn't, its hard not to get annoyed seeing people literally 'dreaming' about what their manky rare snes is worth

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

In the real world, the boxed PS1's were a prime example of it

I was about to post the PS1 scenario. Originally sold for €35, re-appeared and sold for €150.

In the real world, the boxed PS1's were a prime example of it

'Whatever I say' are accepted market principles. In the real world. Im not making stuff up for the fun of it. Somebody throwing an overpriced SNES on adverts isn't raising the market price.

A boxed NOS PS1 was always worth way more than €35. The original seller had no idea what they were worth. Once they got out onto the wider market and people starting paying *whatever* for them, that's what they were worth. Again you're complaining about normal market behaviour.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Car dealer is selling expertise and a product that is checked and with a warranty, should be anyway.
    Some of the stuff from the rage is manky dirty and from their pricing at times I wouldn't call them experts.
    What's that got to do with the price of spuds? If you have a problem with RAGE take it up with them. Im explaining that a retailer of used goods naturally charges higher than a private seller. It doesnt raise market prices for everyone else.

'Whatever I say' are accepted market principles. In the real world. Im not making stuff up for the fun of it.

I didn't say you were, but the world of whatever books say, & the real world, don't always intertwine. Even less so when it comes to retro video games, in the bigger picture its a niche market, & the stupidiest of things can & do affect values. It's not retail, & doesn't always follow accepted models of commerce.
    Somebody throwing an overpriced SNES on adverts isn't raising the market price.

No, but if that Snes sells...you then have other sellers watching & asking more for the same item. Surely you'd know this with all your knowledge of 'accepted market principles' that actively govern 'real world' markets?
    A boxed NOS PS1 was always worth way more than €35. The original seller had no idea what they were worth. Once they got out onto the wider market and people starting paying *whatever* for them, that's what they were worth. Again you're complaining about normal market behaviour.

So cheap price becomes dear price & sells. Dear price is now 'accepted' value. Your making my point for me with your own argument. And don't try tell me those PS1's were worth the stupid money that they were selling for, because they wern't. It is possible to overcharge/overpay for items.

What's that got to do with the price of spuds? If you have a problem with RAGE take it up with them. Im explaining that a retailer of used goods naturally charges higher than a private seller. It doesnt raise market prices for everyone else.

In the world of retro games, it can...and does. Hard to believe you can't see that happening

No, but if that Snes sells...you then have other sellers watching & asking more for the same item. Surely you'd know this with all your knowledge of 'accepted market principles' that actively govern 'real world' markets?

It wont sell, there's tonnes of available ones for €30 or €40 on the same site.

Its worth whatever people will pay. If hypothetically all the sellers on adverts put the prices at €100 and people were willing to pay €100, that would be the value of a SNES, simple as that.

But people aren't willing to pay that much, so they wouldn't sell and sellers would have to drop their prices.
    So cheap price becomes dear price & sells. Dear price is now 'accepted' value. Your making my point for me with your own argument. And don't try tell me those PS1's were worth the stupid money that they were selling for, because they wern't. It is possible to overcharge/overpay for items.

If you know anything about retro consoles (and I assume you know plenty) then you'd have seen those PS1s were worth way more than €35 from the get go. Lots of other people clearly did and snapped them up. Anybody spending even a few minutes browsing ebay knows that NOS consoles fetch a decent amount more than a used one.

It wont sell, there's tonnes of available ones for €30 or €40 on the same site.

Its worth whatever people will pay. If hypothetically all the sellers on adverts put the prices at €100 and people were willing to pay €100, that would be the value of a SNES, simple as that.

But people aren't willing to pay that much, so they wouldn't sell and sellers would have to drop their prices.

Yes that particular Snes won't sell, because its filthy, badly worded, badly advertised, & an all round terrible ad. But take a clean one, ask over the odds by €40 for it, introduce someone who isn't well up on them, has seen them prices in RAGE etc, & buys it.

Now take seller B, sees seller A's overpriced one selling, & decides to advertise his at the same over inflated price. Etc etc. That does happen, I and a few others here will testify to it, I've seen it with my own eyes. Its how prices get artificially driven up
    If you know anything about retro consoles (and I assume you know plenty) then you'd have seen those PS1s were worth way more than €35 from the get go. Lots of other people clearly did and snapped them up. Anybody spending even a few minutes browsing ebay knows that NOS consoles fetch a decent amount more than a used one.

Yes no denying they were worth more than €35, but worth <>the €200 being asked & got for them?? Most certainly not man. They were overpriced, & people overpaid for them at such prices. After that I seen quite a few boxed PS1's on adverts, not new, only boxed, advertised for stupid money & some selling too.

This has happened man, I'm not making it up :)

• Advertisement

Yes no denying they were worth more than €35, but worth <>the €200 being asked & got for them?? Most certainly not man. They were overpriced, & people overpaid for them at such prices. After that I seen quite a few boxed PS1's on adverts, not new, only boxed, advertised for stupid money & some selling too.

This has happened man, I'm not making it up :)

Its not worth €200 to me because ive no interest in it. Its no use to me sitting in a box and at that price im not willing to take the gamble that I can sell it for more in a few years.

But clearly it is worth 200 to someone if they bought it at that price. Either collectors or speculators who are hoping it will be worth even more than 200 some day.

And if a lot of people were paying that, then that becomes the market value. That's just the way it goes. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

Good luck to anyone who got them at 35 but the realistic market value was 150+ long before those ones showed up here.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay

So you don't subscribe to the notion that sellers can overcharge & buyers can overpay? If someone pays over the odds for something, that doesn't mean it was worth the price :confused:

They wern't worth €150+ either, if I was to hazard a guess I'd say in or around €100 would be the the price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You just used a poor example and I've no problem with the shop at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In all honesty, the pricing of items on Adverts is relevant, the inflated prices threatens, in time, to drive the price up overall, the rotation of ads in high and while cheaper examples might be findable with a search but many older unsold ads are not replied to.
    When someone else then goes to put a similar item they will look at the prevailing prices and get an idea of the appropriate amount to charge.
    If more people set unrealistic prices, we end up with a new average, and people end up with less choice of reasonably priced items.
    As for RAGE, we have a rarity now, a bricks and mortar retro games shop but one that prices games at the absolute upper end of the valuation to be seen on auction sites.
    This naturally feels an unfair exploitation of the customer, who has an expectation of a good deal, not a bargain every time but at least feel that they aren't a resource to be squeezed ever time we decide to buy.
    Now, I'm not naive, I know that the businesses only job is to make profit but then they purport to be down with the lads, gamers all, before slipping their hand into our pockets and charging 10/20% over the odds for a game and get away with it by being the only shop, for the moment, to be committed to selling such items.
    That said, there is some overlap with CEX on Liffey St, where things appear far more reasonably priced.

No one wants to be ripped off.
    Just because you have a bricks and mortar shop does not give licence to over charge.
    We, as users of these games for longer than most, know what we are talking about.
    And this is why, instead of us, here on this forum, shopping there all the time we just pay the very occasional visit, preferring online sources instead where the games true value is more accurately reflected, overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not a case of the market price going up because the value of these items is going up. My problem is that adverts.ie has been totally ruined by this ridiculous overpricing. It used to be a place to get a fair deal or the odd bargain. It's now a place I don't even consider looking at anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I think one of the reasons game values are rising is because it has never been as popular to play old games. I also believe the majority of people who post here have being playing these games before the "retro" game term was coined and definitely long before the Rage opened. When they opened their prices seemed more reasonable, if people continue to pay over the odds prices they will continue to charge them. The opportunity is there for any potential customer of the Rage to check a price online from another source before purchasing it there.
    What happened when the seller flooded the market with them PS1 at 30 euro each when they were worth much more than that actually devalued them. At that stage there were people that were buying them in multiples from the shop. A poster over on Adverts told me he had twenty and judging by his completed sales I had no reason to dibelieve him. At that time they were available to anybody that frequented adverts for the sum of 30 euros. I sold one to a speculator who stuck it straight on Ebay and that seems to happen with a lot of the half decent stuff that turns up on Adverts.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a case of the market price going up because the value of these items is going up. My problem is that adverts.ie has been totally ruined by this ridiculous overpricing. It used to be a place to get a fair deal or the odd bargain. It's now a place I don't even consider looking at anymore.

But if things are overpriced they won't sell and the seller will have to lower the price if he wants to shift it. And if he doesnt, then tough luck to him. That eejit has been sitting on the SNES for months, his loss not mine.

If things are what you consider overpriced and they do sell, ie you are being outbid on stuff, then it just means other buyers are willing to pay more than you. ie the market value on the item has gone up. That was always going to happen as retro gaming became more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I do know what you're getting at.

However, what collectors generally do is watch the trend in pricing over time an gauge what something should be selling at. (based on that product selling in and around that price consistently)

If something is listed at say,twice the trend estimation some eejit pays it, it obviously doesn't make the item suddenly worth that much.

What changes the value of something is if it is now consistently selling at the new, higher price.

Believe me, when it comes to old consoles, that's really never the case. You have set figures at which most things sell at consistently. You'll get the odd nutter listing something way over regular pricing and then some even bigger nutter paying it - but if the bigger nutter just did a bit more searching he could get it for it's real value.

Market prices should affect prices globally especially with how free trade is at the moment. Rage and even more so adverts.ie are their own microcosm of bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

BritishPoundMonthly.png

TBH.

Advertisement