Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

IMG_3054.jpg

Gotta love the little guy jumping out the window in the top left corner!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    Gotta love the little guy jumping out the window in the top left corner!

It's Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Was offered a position as an algorithmic trader recently with 13-14 hour days minimum (not for the faint of heart), but took a different job. still in the same 'world' but not actually trading. fascinating stuff.

So what does everyone here reckon a snes is worth right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But if things are overpriced they won't sell

But they can, & do.
    and the seller will have to lower the price if he wants to shift it. And if he doesnt, then tough luck to him. That eejit has been sitting on the SNES for months, his loss not mine.

That ad is a poor example of your argument. Ebay is filled with examples of overpriced products that are dressed is very well & despite the overpricing, do indeed sell. Not because of demand, but because of ignorance and/or the way its marketed/advertised.
    If things are what you consider overpriced and they do sell, ie you are being outbid on stuff, then it just means other buyers are willing to pay more than you. ie the market value on the item has gone up. That was always going to happen as retro gaming became more popular.

Again you seem to be completely unable to acknowledge that an overpriced product can be sold :confused: It must not be possible to be ripped off in your world because no matter how high the price is, if someone pays it then it becomes the new 'market value'. Its a very simplistic approach to a niche market man, if you don't mind my saying so

Yes Retro gaming prices do rise over time, but not that much, and the going rate for items can be affected by other factors which you seem unwilling to admit the existence of, far more than the annual/trend rise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I do know what you're getting at.

However, what collectors generally do is watch the trend in pricing over time an gauge what something should be selling at. (based on that product selling in and around that price consistently)

If something is listed at say,twice the trend estimation some eejit pays it, it obviously doesn't make the item suddenly worth that much.

What changes the value of something is if it is now consistently selling at the new, higher price.

Believe me, when it comes to old consoles, that's really never the case. You have set figures at which most things sell at consistently. You'll get the odd nutter listing something way over regular pricing and then some even bigger nutter paying it - but if the bigger nutter just did a bit more searching he could get it for it's real value.

I have been watching the finishing prices of mother 2 in Japan over the past month or so as I'm after a copy myself. A copy finished last night at over 32 dollars, I had set 31.33 dollars as my top end for a very good cib copy which this was. In my opinion it was worth no more than this and as this was past my price point I left it. The eventual buyer had feedback of 2 and I'm sure they were prepared to go much higher, this does not mean the game is worth anymore just because somebody wants to pay more for it on this occasion. The average price tells me I will get a very good copy for what I want to pay for it.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=330811169522

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »

Depends if it's boxed, unboxed with everything or console only!

An unboxed snes like the filthy av port one but in clean condition? €30/€40 if complete with cables & two pads would be my guess

Master of the Universe

Was offered a position as an algorithmic trader recently with 13-14 hour days minimum (not for the faint of heart), but took a different job. still in the same 'world' but not actually trading. fascinating stuff.

I've seen Snes console only units on ebay recently for 20 and not sell. They really are worth nothing really.

Then you get that nutter who comes along and offers €100 for one on adverts.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    The average price tells me I will get a very good copy for what I want to pay for it.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=330811169522

Agreed, I just bought a CIB copy for €30 on the nose. It doesn't miraculously become worth more if someone wants to pay €50 for it (identical condition)...it means they've paid over the odds for it...I seriously fail to see how anyone thinks otherwise

I've seen Snes console only units on ebay recently for 20 and not sell. They really are worth nothing really.

Then you get that nutter who comes along and offers €100 for one on adverts.

Ebay differs somewhat because you usually have to factor in postage

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

An unboxed snes like the filthy av port one but in clean condition? €30/€40 if complete with cables & two pads would be my guess

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, maybe on the upper end at 40e. I ask because the Rage seemed to be lumped in to some previous comments alongside private sellers asking in the region of 100e. The Rage sell them for 50e which I don't think is terrible given the need to turn a profit and the customer not having to ship from somewhere and having a place to bring it back to if any problems arise.

Master of the Universe

Ebay differs somewhat because you usually have to factor in postage

What if you live locally and can collect? :p

The postage doesn't go to the seller. The item is 'still worth' what the auction ended at. Postage aside.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking, maybe on the upper end at 40e. I ask because the Rage seemed to be lumped in to some previous comments alongside private sellers asking in the region of 100e. The Rage sell them for 50e which I don't think is terrible given the need to turn a profit and the customer not having to ship from somewhere and having a place to bring it back to if any problems arise.

€50 from a bricks n mortar store is grand I think

The postage doesn't go to the seller. The item is 'still worth' what the auction ended at. Postage aside.

Oh it doesn't affect the value, but if a seller has €30 postage listed for a €20/30 Snes...not many folks are gonna bother with it :) So it kinda differs when the buyer has to factor in postage. If its a local collection, your down to the real value of the item of course...but we're lucky here in Dubln with collections etc

If the postage is trivial compared to the price of what you're buying then sure. As someone who's imported arcade machines I'm sure you can appreciate that the total cost of the transaction is what you use to assess the item's value/worth/cost/whatever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

40 would be my upper limit on an unboxed SNES. Even at that they are so common if you wait long enough you can get a hand me down or from a car boot sale for about the same price or less with a few games.

A friend of mine was all set to get a Dreamcast from Rage for 50 euros and another 50 on Shenmue and maybe a few other games and prepared to travel a long way to get it. I told him to be patient because if you wait a while consoles like the Dreamcast are so common you are bound to pick one up with a bundle of games for less than 50.

Lo and behold someone offered me a Dreamcast a few days later with a tonne of games including shenmue, controllers, lightgun and 2 VMUs for absolutely nothing which I passed on to my friend.

Consoles are worth next to nothing really unless you are impatient or want to go for the more exotic or import machines.

Agreed, I just bought a CIB copy for €30 on the nose. It doesn't miraculously become worth more if someone wants to pay €50 for it (identical condition)...it means they've paid over the odds for it...I seriously fail to see how anyone thinks otherwise

That's what happens when one person or even worse when you get two people bidding against each other who don't what it normally sells for. It was slightly above my first limit that I set of 30 but it was very clean and 30 would have bought it if it were not for the other bidder. I had a couple of gba games put by with that seller and wanted to combine the shipping but you have set your limit and stick to it. I will get my copy some day:pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Consoles are worth next to nothing really unless you are impatient or want to go for the more exotic or import machines.

Unboxed maybe so but boxed consoles in good condition will always have some value. Some unboxed stuff does change hands for very little.

Master of the Universe

Oh it doesn't affect the value, but if a seller has €30 postage listed for a €20/30 Snes...not many folks are gonna bother with it :) So it kinda differs when the buyer has to factor in postage. If its a local collection, your down to the real value of the item of course...but we're lucky here in Dubln with collections etc
    If the postage is trivial compared to the price of what you're buying then sure. As someone who's imported arcade machines I'm sure you can appreciate that the total cost of the transaction is what you use to assess the item's value.

Oh I know! I'm just saying (on a technical level as we're talking about pricing trends) that postage really has nothing to do with the actual value of an item.

I could buy a Snes from someone in the UK for 30 & 10 postage, or the exact same snes from someone in Australia for 30 & 30 postage. Both end prices are completely different, but the console's value stays the same - 30.

So you do have to factor in postage in your overall cost, but it fluctuates. If you want to watch the trending value of an actual item then it's auction price alone.

That's what happens when one person or even worse when you get two people bidding against each other who don't what it normally sells for. It was slightly above my first limit that I set of 30 but it was very clean and 30 would have bought it if it were not for the other bidder. I had a couple of gba games put by with that seller and wanted to combine the shipping but you have set your limit and stick to it. I will get my copy some day:pac:

The seller I listed in the 'get something new' thread has another one left listed at 40. He will accept €30 though, at least he did for me. Postage was another €9 from Japan :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unboxed maybe so but boxed consoles in good condition will always have some value. Some unboxed stuff does change hands for very little.

Which is grand for the bearded collector types. I on the other hand will rip it open and start playing it so couldn't give a toss about boxes.

• Advertisement

Oh I know! I'm just saying (on a technical level as we're talking about pricing trends) that postage really has nothing to do with the actual value of an item.

We know man, we agree with ya :D All we're saying is the postal price can be the decider. It's completely irrelevant to the value of the item, but can be the difference between you buying it or not

I could buy a Snes from someone in the UK for 30 & 10 postage, or the exact same snes from someone in Australia for 30 & 30 postage. Both end prices are completely different, but the console's value stays the same - 30.

So you do have to factor in postage in your overall cost, but it fluctuates. If you want to watch the trending value of an actual item then it's auction price alone.

But I reckon that in this example you wouldn't buy the Australian snes unless it was less than (or for simplicity equal to) 10e, since you value the item at say 40e. So if the only buyers of Australian Snes's (sneses??) were European and the market value was static and ideal (in that everyone valued it the same), then they should sell for 10e or so, but you wouldn't sell it to a local for a penny less than 40e after it landed at your door.

Master of the Universe

But I reckon that in this example you wouldn't buy the Australian snes unless it was less than (or for simplicity equal to) 10e, since you value the item at say 40e. So if the only buyers of Australian Snes's (sneses??) were European and the market value was static and ideal (in that everyone valued it the same), then they should sell for 10e or so, but you wouldn't sell it to a local for a penny less than 40e after it landed at your door.

But that's the thing, the postage value fluctuates. I could buy that UK snes and then could see one listed in Ireland tomorrow that has free postage.

Even postage from specific countries isn't standardized. I've seen consoles posted from the UK from 15 up to 40.

So you obviously need to base your purchasing power on item price & postage, but when working out what the trending price of an item is, it's item only. Unless there's some crazy standardization across postage.

I on the other hand will rip it open and start playing it so couldn't give a toss about boxes.

That's nice to know but they will always have some value to the bearded collector types as you put it even if you personally place no value on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Which is grand for the bearded collector types. I on the other hand will rip it open and start playing it so couldn't give a toss about boxes.

Hey! I don't have a beard but I do like them nice boxes.

Master of the Universe

I have a beard and I like boxes.

I'm such a cliché :(

Well there's bound to be a degree of volatility in the prices :) how much a snes is really worth is somewhat static, perhaps it's a personal figure. But it's value is always going to be somewhat dynamic, and would partially depend on how much extra it'll cost to have in your hands after you've actually bought it. Our perceived value of Famicoms is higher than someone in Japan, due to both the supply and the fact that it'll cost an extra amount of money to actually get it here.

But never mind all that, Sneses (it's a word now) are great :D that DC behaving itself?

Master of the Universe

Yep! It's working out great. Power button isn't sticking either. Had it hooked up to the projector a few times.

It's currently being used as a test machine for SD card loading :)

I have a beard and I like boxes.

I'm such a cliché :(

I have no beard and no hair and I like boxes.:( That's why there's such a variety in the type of people that have an interest in games as players/collectors some people insist on original hardware others emulate, some go mint cib only some play original carts only while some use flash carts. Once you enjoy the way you play or collect that's the main thing in my opinion.

• Advertisement

It must not be possible to be ripped off in your world because no matter how high the price is, if someone pays it then it becomes the new 'market value'. Its a very simplistic approach to a niche market man, if you don't mind my saying so

Where did I say that?

It's got nothing to do with one seller asking too much, or one buyer paying too much.

But of course you know that I never said that, you're just trying to backtrack. My very first comment was that one seller on adverts can't drive the prices up. The prices only get driven up if its a sellers market and buyers (plural) are willing to pay more.

Advertisement