Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand lamping tragedy (lampers beware)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Victor wrote: »
    Is it useful to use separate night vision equipment, possibly on a spotter + shooter basis. there was stuff avaialble for €100 in Lidl - not sure of the quality.

The Lidl stuff is crud
    you need to be able to clearly see the target at a min of 100 yards and have some magnification to aid accuracy

The painting of the target really works, and as you can see very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just to return to the OT, I remember heading out before dawn once to try and bag a fox that had been sniffing around one of our pheasant drives. As the sun rose, no sign of the fox, but it did reveal 2 pigeon shooters, camo'd up to the eyebrows, sitting on the bank I use as a backstop! OK, so if I'd been lamping they would probably have seen the light and made their presence known, but it shows how easily an accident could have happened. You just can't be careful enough. I'm glad this cowboy is having the book thrown at him. Apart from the tragedy of the womans death, this sort of thing also results in a knee jerk reaction from the authorities that impacts on all responsible shooters. This may have happened on the other side of the world, but don't be surprized if it is thrown at us here in Ireland by the anti's as a reason for banning hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm surprised the animals weren't more startled by the lights.

The painting of the target really works, and as you can see very clear.

for the first two minutes of that video, all I wanted to do is shout "Boo". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i think the lad only got 2 1/2 years for the shooting:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah 2 1/2 years.
    The average sentance for manslaughter in NZ is just under 6 years. There was no intent to hurt a person here, he co-oporated with police and also pleded guilty obviously helped in securing a below average sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

terrible for her and him its a wonder why lamping foxes and rabbits in ireland isnt eligal,how easy this can happen like with people eager to get a shot off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jhcossie wrote: »
    .......... its a wonder why lamping foxes and rabbits in ireland isnt illegal,.........

Thats ridiculous.

You cannot regulate for the stupid, or possible future events. Most legislation comes after an event. Until it happens people, ie PTB, do not usually consider it or unless its a high profile event in the public eye.

The people in this story were foolish and they will be punished for their actions. The people affected should be given the upmost of consioderation and condolences by everyone. However a knee jerk re-action like banning lamping because of the lack of care/attention to their back drop, etc would be overly reactive and silly. Not to mention it did not happen here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

terrible for her and him its a wonder why lamping foxes and rabbits in ireland isnt eligal,how easy this can happen like with people eager to get a shot off

The exact same is true during the day. It's why we have to hold ourselves to the highest standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

Ezridax wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous.

You cannot regulate for the stupid, or possible future events. Most legislation comes after an event. Until it happens people, ie PTB, do not usually consider it or unless its a high profile event in the public eye.

The people in this story were foolish and they will be punished for their actions. The people affected should be given the upmost of consioderation and condolences by everyone. However a knee jerk re-action like banning lamping because of the lack of care/attention to their back drop, etc would be overly reactive and silly. Not to mention it did not happen here.
    did i say it should be done?????????it ment i wouldnt be suprised if it was banned with all the regulations here.look at the post again before you post,never said it should be banned,accident happens cause the shooter was over anxious and careless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

did i say it should be done?????????

No.
    it ment i wouldnt be suprised if it was banned with all the regulations here

I know what you meant, and i still think its ridiculous.
    look at the post again before you post,

Why?
    never said it should be banned,accident happens cause the shooter was over anxious and careless

I was responding to the idea of banning lamping because of an incident in New Zealand. Not your comment. So calm down. Remember context can be lost in the written word.

The thought of banning lamping because some idiot cannot shoot safely is ridiculous, but is also the kind of reactive legislation we have seen here too often. All the legislation about pistols and the restrictions placed on owners, and the banning of them for new applicants is my case in point. This was a knee jerk reaction by the PTB to their own inability to control gun crime by thugs and criminals.

Same point with lamping. Some idiot does a stupid act and then the rest of us pay for their stupidity by loosing our sport/shooting/hunting. Thankfully i cannot remember the last time or if there even was such an incident in Ireland. We have one of the highest safety records for club/range shooting, and as shooters the majority of us, as IWM said, hold ourselves to a higher standard than even the PTB demand/seek.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

As i said in a post earlier this year far 2 many clowns with high powered rifles lamping without permission and giving us all a bad name. What is everybodys opinion to these people should they be reported to the police . A few landowners around here a really sick to the back teeth with these people. I personally think these people should be reported .My fox numbers are also suffering.:mad:

As i said in a post earlier this year far 2 many clowns with high powered rifles lamping without permission and giving us all a bad name. What is everybodys opinion to these people should they be reported to the police . A few landowners around here a really sick to the back teeth with these people. I personally think these people should be reported .My fox numbers are also suffering.:mad:

If the land owners are sick of it why don't they get the Gards involved ? Armed trespass is a serious offence. If there where trespassers on my land I would do the same!

You know the discussion is about what happened in NZ not Ireland :D I will put a 1000 euro that fox numbers are not suffering and that they are increasing over the years.... I lamped 6 in 2 fields the other night which last season I shot 12 vixens in- if they where decreasing then I shouldn't of seen any.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Armed trespass is a serious offence.
    Actually, and I know this is an annoying technicality, I don't think it is a specific offence in Ireland. It's just trespass here; the firearm only becomes an issue if it's used or used to intimidate, in which case there's a few dozen other offences the person gets charged with.

Sparks wrote: »
    Armed trespass is a serious offence.
    Actually, and I know this is an annoying technicality, I don't think it is a specific offence in Ireland. It's just trespass here; the firearm only becomes an issue if it's used or used to intimidate, in which case there's a few dozen other offences the person gets charged with.

Ill cover the qbove for you that has happened before

A little old lady here's a shot in the field goes out to find 2 lads cammo up with rifles, she tells them to get off her land and they tell her to F@CK. Firearm was used and she was scared of what they would do.

Trespassing on someone's land with firearms is intimating to a land owner because you don't know what will happen if you approach them.

If the land owners are sick of it why don't they get the Gards involved ? Armed trespass is a serious offence. If there where trespassers on my land I would do the same!

You know the discussion is about what happened in NZ not Ireland :D I will put a 1000 euro that fox numbers are not suffering and that they are increasing over the years.... I lamped 6 in 2 fields the other night which last season I shot 12 vixens in- if they where decreasing then I shouldn't of seen any.
    Yes i know the discussion is about here nz and not ireland the reason i posted was to highlight my concerns about the possible chance it could happen here with lampers who dont care where they lamp or what they lamp. Im in north and fox numbers are down in my part of the country where i would of seen 50 plus i now only see less than half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

Yes i know the discussion is about here nz and not ireland the reason i posted was to highlight my concerns about the possible chance it could happen here with lampers who dont care where they lamp or what they lamp. Im in north and fox numbers are down in my part of the country where i would of seen 50 plus i now only see less than half that.
    dose that not mean the lampers are doing a good job?

ring 20 wrote: »
    dose that not mean the lampers are doing a good job?
    Idont need people with no permission lamping on my area where i have lamped for 13 years . why cant these feckers get permission like everbody else . on top of that they are shooting hares and leaving them lying. Also a local farmer had a hereford calf shot and badly wounded. a good job i would say not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

Idont need people with no permission lamping on my area where i have lamped for 13 years . why cant these feckers get permission like everbody else . on top of that they are shooting hares and leaving them lying. Also a local farmer had a hereford calf shot and badly wounded. a good job i would say not?
    thats different then if they are shooting everything in sight. any farmer from round where i live do not care who shoots foxes. we dont seem to get all these shoot em up types here tho, just lads who are genuine fox shooters. lampers seem to get alot of stick, they not all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Have to agree with rock garden - way too many cowboys about - know a fella in Macroom Co. Cork that had two horses shot by lads lamping in the last few weeks.
    They apparently thought they were deer...............

• Advertisement

thelurcher wrote: »
    Have to agree with rock garden - way too many cowboys about - know a fella in Macroom Co. Cork that had two horses shot by lads lamping in the last few weeks.
    They apparently thought they were deer...............

So the were poaching deer, out of season?? and shot horses?

Does that mean they were made known to teh landowner/s?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Obviously Tack. - they're 99% sure they know who did it - these guys lamp deer and fox - they don't bother with section 42's or permission though.
    I'm not from that part of the country but that 1% of doubt means that anyone lamping anywhere near there over the next few months is going to get a kicking to say the least ;)
    Proper order too - it's like Helmand in places in the Summer - where are all these guns when I'm out during the season proper - fair weather hunters......

thelurcher wrote: »
    Obviously Tack. - they're 99% sure they know who did it - these guys lamp deer and fox - they don't bother with section 42's or permission though.
    I'm not from that part of the country but that 1% of doubt means that anyone lamping anywhere near there over the next few months is going to get a kicking to say the least ;)
    Proper order too - it's like Helmand in places in the Summer - where are all these guns when I'm out during the season proper - fair weather hunters......

Two words, TRAIL CAM ;)

Advertisement