Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

err... I'll nervously throw my hat into the ring here!

Have written one poem-type-thing about 5 years ago, and that's about it! So who's reckless enough to take me on?! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

DK is our reigning champ, so you're challenging her
    pick a theme at random

Ahh sh*t, I just read one of hers and it was awesome - I'm gonna be whooped! :D

Theme is....... Road Trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

bluewolf wrote: »
    DK is our reigning champ, so you're challenging her
    pick a theme at random

Is DK a her? I always thought she was a he for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lol
    she sure is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Wait, does the challenger get to pick the subject? In that case could one pick a subject that the opponent is unlikely to be interested in....if one were to be devious minded, that is...

the challenger has always picked the subject :confused:

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Wait, does the challenger get to pick the subject? In that case could one pick a subject that the opponent is unlikely to be interested in....if one were to be devious minded, that is...

True, but I picked a theme for a story I'd been thinking about for a while and still got my ass handed to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Antilles wrote: »
    True, but I picked a theme for a story I'd been thinking about for a while and still got my ass handed to me :D

and by a girl !:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh sh*t, I just read one of hers and it was awesome - I'm gonna be whooped! :D

Theme is....... Road Trip

Challenge accepted! *scratches head*
    Is DK a her? I always thought she was a he for some reason.

Yep. I have boobs and all!
    (This is the second time in a week I've been mistaken for a male on boards!)

Ah now, hardly.
    marienbad wrote: »

Ha? It's not like it was a cock-size contest. (Although my rooster is one of the finest in all the land...)

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yep. I have boobs and all!
    Pics or gtfo ;)

marienbad wrote: »

:confused:

Alright here's me... 600 words on the dot! :p Haven't written 600 words since secondary school! :D

Go easy on me, but any feedback appreciated ;)
    Jim put on his dark black sunglasses, got in the driver’s side and started the engine. Emma was already in the passenger’s seat, her own sunnies hiding her eyes, her dirty blonde hair blowing gently in the wind as she rested her head in her hand. They set off on the road.

The early morning sun was balmy, and the quiet coastal road ahead of them was tinted with a subtle honey glow. To their left along the route were dotted brilliant white holiday homes, while the phenomenal coastal rock formations to their right were largely ignored as the couple stared ahead plaintively, not a word uttered. The wind blew into Emma’s face, and she felt her eyes well up again as she recalled everything that happened the previous night.

Jim replayed events in his head, biting the inside of his lip as he tried in vain to undo what was done, unsay what was said. Someone had to be the bigger man. He turned to Emma, “Listen, I--”
    “Jesus, look out!!!”, Emma cried as she jerked forward, her glasses falling into her lap.
    Jim’s voice failed him as he slammed his foot down hard, the screech of brakes serving as a Pavlovian reminder of the horrifying images he remembered from those road-safety TV ads. He wrestled the steering wheel to turn the car away, setting it into a spin. The sound was deafening, and Jim closed his eyes helplessly and prayed for it to end quickly. With a sudden, body-shaking crash the wheels hit the curb of the sidewalk, the car facing the wrong direction on the other side of the road.

Emma felt breathless and shocked, her eyes wide, a shine on her face from a thin coat of sweat, the body’s reaction to such an event.

A seemingly endless silence filled the air as the breathless couple looked through the windscreen and surveyed the damage. A trace of smoke, from the brakes no doubt, floated gently away in the calm breeze. The rubber marks from the tyres scarred the road. An older woman, a late-comer to the scene, looked on hopefully, her hand across her mouth.

Without a thought in the world, save for the inconvenience of a minor interruption to its journey, a tiny, white terrier nonchalantly continued its canter to the other side of the road, eventually disappearing around the corner.

Jim instantly looks to Emma, her mouth and eyes still open, though her heart-rate beginning to decrease. “I’m so sorry!” he whimpers over and over as he touches her thigh, her face, her shoulder, confirming his girlfriend’s bodily presence, as though it were in doubt. “Are you okay?” he asks, almost begging, as he grabs her by the shoulders and looks with concern into her face. “Well?? Answer me! Please!” he almost shouts, his impatience betraying the dread still lingering inside him, his nausea at what just happened, or what could have happened, or what almost did.

After an uncomfortably long silence, Emma’s brain decided on a reaction that surprised them both: she began to laugh. A snicker led to a giggle, which led to a chuckle, and soon she had erupted in fits of uncontrollable howls. Jim’s initial instinct was to check the windscreen for cracks on the passenger side, but soon his concern and confusion turned to relief, and his face allowed him a broad smile as he watched his beautiful partner dry her eyes, the last few whimpers of her fit slowly abating. He grabbed her face in his hands, placed his forehead to hers, and breathed a heavy sigh.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

no commenting til DK posts :)
    then we thank-vote and comment
    she has until 9.40pm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I thought you hate Ben Stein. :p

Kitty has got to produce her goods first. :p

Edit : Curse you miss blue!:(

Ah right, I'll stop refreshing the page every 15 minutes so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wow, this is tough. I'm leaning towards Dave because of how I was able to visualise the scene unfolding with ease and the car accident sucked me right in. That said, I loved Kitty's story and the banter but Dave's had a car accident while also pulling at the heartstrings. So, yeah, Dave. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I liked both stories but DK's was the one I went for. I thought it was a good story and one I'd be happy to continue reading if it was longer. I instantly liked the characters and their backstory was drawing me in as it started to unfold. So that one edged it for me.
    Well done to both.

dave you did really well, it was great
    i think DK's was easier to get into though, and i liked the humour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

a good story dave, well done lad!

Das kitty though for me wrote a very good dramatic conversational piece, which can be very hard to do, and it engaged from the start.

I have to give it to das kitty as the writing was that little bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good man Dave, really good job! Against anyone else it would have excelled, but DK is pretty unstoppable right now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I voted for DK too, I liked both stories but DK's just seemed more real to me. If that makes sense.

Cheers all... After I got the first 2 votes, I thought I might cause an upset! :D But it wasn't to be (barring a really late flurry of votes :p)

Good job DK!

Cheers all... After I got the first 2 votes, I thought I might cause an upset! :D But it wasn't to be (barring a really late flurry of votes :p)

Good job DK!

Dave, if that's the first thing you've written since school, I can't wait to see what you produce over the next while. The first thing I wrote in January was absolute muck that I have shown to no one. And I agonised over it for weeks and weeks.

Thanks a bunch! :D

Next challenger? Pick a theme too :)

Thanks a bunch! :D

Next challenger? Pick a theme too :)

I need a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

hey - I know you're probably looking for a nice long rest but I am dying to write a story if you're up for it this week at all Das Kitty? I know it was my own fault last time so it's cool if you're looking for a longer break. Let me know anyway.

hcass wrote: »
    hey - I know you're probably looking for a nice long rest but I am dying to write a story if you're up for it this week at all Das Kitty? I know it was my own fault last time so it's cool if you're looking for a longer break. Let me know anyway.

No, no.

Shoot a theme and I'll accept at some stage tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement

i demand entertainment

>.>

Advertisement