Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Still an hour left...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Still an hour left...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

any subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RyanTubs

I would like to participate in this if there's anyone interested?

• Advertisement

Yo might need to wake up Das Kitty who's been asleep on the crown for a few months.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

RyanTubs wrote: »
    I would like to participate in this if there's anyone interested?

The Kraken awaketh!

Shoot me a theme when you're ready to start the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Um...anyone want to send Ryan a PM?

echooo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    echooo
    ECHOOOO!
    (Now is as good as time as any for a first post here.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

lol, echo would have been a decent theme...

*attempts to nonchalantly re-enter thread he introduced himself in 3 months ago and never posted in again, though the guilt has driven him insane several times over since*

lol, echo would have been a decent theme...

*attempts to nonchalantly re-enter thread he introduced himself in 3 months ago and never posted in again, though the guilt has driven him insane several times over since*

Are you a challenger?

Ryan seems to be AWOL.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Are you a challenger?

Just felt like checking in for some reason. Very busy today and tomorrow unfortunately so can't issue a challenge right now...

Just felt like checking in for some reason. Very busy today and tomorrow unfortunately so can't issue a challenge right now...

The weekend? Go on!

*prods*

poor DK :D

The weekend? Go on!

*prods*

Sorry for the late reply

I challenge thee!

The theme is 'The Races'. Inspired by your location :-)

Sorry for the late reply

I challenge thee!

The theme is 'The Races'. Inspired by your location :-)

You're on! Hee!

I'm a bit drunk. See you this time tomorrow!

Martin’s Secret. Well, he’d be waiting for a sign for the past two years, and who was he to argue with fate when it finally presented itself? Joanne jabbed a bony expensively manicured finger at the race programme. “There’s your lad.”

“I think you’re right,” Martin said as Joanne strode off to get the drinks, the very picture of her mother in that shiny purple outfit and matching fascinator. Fascinator. He hated that he knew the word for the miniature riot of feathers and gauze perched on the top of her head.

But then, he hated so much about what his life had become. When Martin first took a nineteen-year-old Joanne in his arms and kissed her, feeling as though his world was opening up and that anything was possible, he never imagined that twenty-five years later he’d barely want to talk to the woman he once found so captivating. Maybe they’d had all the conversations they were ever going to have, and all there was left was the cloying familiarity.

He went to the Tote and staked a tenner, and his marriage, on second favourite in the 4.35, Martin’s Secret. If the horse came in he’d stay, but if it lost he’d go home, pack his bags and tell Joanne that it was over.

They took their places in the stand as the horses did the same at the starting gate. Martin watched his horse eagerly enter the stall and thought, This is it, in two minutes I’ll know.

Then they were under starter’s orders and they were off. Martin’s eyes darted through the pack to pick out his horse—third by a length and gaining. Joanne elbowed him in the ribs, “He’s in third, Martin.” Martin just kept his eyes on the course and prayed that the bastard wouldn’t find another gear.

His prayer was answered as they approached the bend; the horse had fallen back to fifth. Martin sighed and glanced sideways at Joanne to take one last look at her before he went and changed everything. She stood straining to see, and she was shouting, egging Martin’s Secret on with all she was worth. Fifth by two lengths with two furlongs to go, it hadn’t a chance, but Joanne still believed it might.

He watched her as she bounced in her heels, giving all of her energy over to the lost cause, passion and loyalty, and all in the name of a little piece of paper in her husband’s hand. And there in his chest was the spark he thought had been long ago drowned by the humdrum. He didn’t want the horse to lose anymore.

Martin turned to look as the horses thundered past and, by God, had Martin’s Secret not gained on the corner. It was now second by half a length. Martin felt a shout rise from his chest and he let out a roar of encouragement. He smiled over at Joanne who was smiling right back, and all of a sudden it didn’t matter which horse won or lost.

Martin slipped his arms around his wife’s waist and pulled her into a kiss as the stands erupted with curses and cheers. He held her close and allowed the betting slip to fall from his fingers and get carried away on the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's beautiful!

• Advertisement

Just read DK's and it's absolutely brilliant! I'd say I'm fairly screwed, but sure hopefully I'll do better with more practice

Anyway, here it is, 600 words including the title :D:

The Races

The place was empty now. Only the well trod, muddy ground and the few missed pieces of litter would hint at the thousands of people that flooded the area only days before. It was always like this when the yearly races ended. It would be similar at any large organised event of course. One day the area is empty, then a kind of anticipation builds up and before you know it, the area that was so quiet only days before is now buzzing with activity.

For a short while it takes on an entirely different personality, the atmosphere is transformed. And then, without warning, and almost always in much less time than the build-up takes, everything just reverts back to normal. The crowds disappear, the marquees are taken down, the rubbish is picked off the ground and pretty soon there are only traces left.

Things are a little different this time though, thought Pádraig, as he surveyed the grounds. By rights, the races shouldn’t be finished yet. The crowds should still be here. The noise, the music, the makeshift bars and barriers. He should be struggling to move through a sea of drunken revellers making the most of the last day of the races. And yet, here he stood alone in the grounds.

The place wasn’’t entirely empty however. The marquees may have been taken down, but the makeshift barriers had been replaced by the Gardaí’s crime scene tape; the crowds may be gone, but the forensic investigators were now moving in. In other years, the grounds had seemed peaceful after the end of the races, now there was tension in the air.

It was crazy to think something like this could happen in Ireland. Crazy to think our little island couldn’t stay separate from the conflicts affecting the rest of the world. He looked down at the scorched earth in front of him, where the device was detonated. The politicians were targeted. Of the 6 people who died in the blast, three were TDs and one a senator. More were put in hospital. A protest against the continued use of Shannon airport by the US military.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the incident was the public’s reaction. Obviously the condolences came rolling in. A country in mourning for the men they had been cursing only days before. And also, of course, there were those who would call it justice, who had developed a hatred of all politicians and would now cruelly joke that ‘the bastards got what they deserved’. But most importantly, for the vast majority of people, the tragedy opened their eyes. People were seeing that there were bigger problems than the ones they were dealing with day to day. They were realising that our connections to the rest of the world aren’t only economic. We had seen the war on terror on the news, seen the unrest spread across the middle east, struggled to understand the problems and conflicts which seemed to involve half the world yet were so far away from us. Now we were part of it. This wasn’t related to the recession, to the banks, to the corruption of our leaders. There was more to our world than the economic crisis.

Pádraig looked back up across the grounds. It was getting late. Had things gone as planned, the last race of the week would have been starting now. The events of the this week would undoubtedly cast a shadow on the races for years to come. But maybe with a bit of luck, he thought, we’ll have learned something from it.

Excellent story DK. For my money better and more apt than any of the shortlisters in the
    Powers competition.

aw DK, that's lovely :):)

I don't suppose the scoring system here is in any way similar to golf? :D

Seriously though, congrats, that story is class!

Which isn't to say I don't intend to beat you next time... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Oooh! I only just found this thread...what a great idea..loved that story by DK but very new to this Boards lark...don't know how to send "Thanks" in order to vote(??) How does a body join in the fun by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whelpling

chicamom wrote: »
    don't know how to send "Thanks" in order to vote(??)

It's the little thumbs-up icon at the bottom-right of the post you want to thank.
    How does a body join in the fun by the way?

You just register interest in being a challenger in this thread afaik.

Welcome, by the way. :)

Sorry folks I didn't have my laptop last night to respond here. Thanks for the lovely compliments on my story. I'm never quite sure if something I write is sh1t or not so it's great to get positive feedback.

needacchelp, thanks for the challenge, I hope you're not planning anything at the races this year! ;)

Oooh! I only just found this thread...what a great idea..loved that story by DK but very new to this Boards lark...don't know how to send "Thanks" in order to vote(??) How does a body join in the fun by the way?

You need a certain postcount to see the thanks (thumbs up) button. I sould really know what the number is.

To get involved you have to challenge me or whoever won last. But if you're thinking of challenging me, I won't be able to accept til next week because I have 14,000 words to beta read for someone and then there's Eurovision...

To get involved you have to challenge me or whoever won last. But if you're thinking of challenging me, I won't be able to accept til next week because I have 14,000 words to beta read for someone and then there's Eurovision...

Eurovision... let's have a contest!

Eurovision... let's have a contest!

Where each person is assigned a country and has to write a story set there?

• Advertisement

More like this.

Advertisement