Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

Das Kitty wrote: »
    needacchelp, thanks for the challenge, I hope you're not planning anything at the races this year! ;)
    :pac:

Heh, don't worry, 'twas only a story, though it was a bit ridiculous I guess. I started writing without much of an idea where it was gonna go, and it probably went that direction because tomorrow I'm flying to a country that's seen an increase in terrorist activity lately. Generally speaking though I wouldn't tend towards terrorism myself! :)

Next time I'll plan my story out first and have it make a bit more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Heh, don't worry, 'twas only a story, though it was a bit ridiculous I guess. I started writing without much of an idea where it was gonna go, and it probably went that direction because tomorrow I'm flying to a country that's seen an increase in terrorist activity lately. Generally speaking though I wouldn't tend towards terrorism myself! :)

Next time I'll plan my story out first and have it make a bit more sense

I enjoyed your story and it made perfect sense to me but I had to give the honours to DK. If you had written it from the point of view of the terrorist, building up to the act and then the aftermath, it might have been more gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

You need a certain postcount to see the thanks (thumbs up) button. I sould really know what the number is.

Must be 10 as I can only see them now.... it was driving me insane that I couldn't find the thumbs up anywhere! :D

Well done DK, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

I was enjoying reading your stuff. Where d'y'all go? I feel like the last one left at a party, as if I dozed off in the middle of things and hours later woke up all crumpled in the corner and everyone has vanished. (Sadly, that has actually happened to me in my past!)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Hey just wondering is it still the challenger who picks the theme? I kinda want to write a story and I know this will be great motivation but I'm terrible at picking themes. Too fickle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hcass wrote: »
    Hey just wondering is it still the challenger who picks the theme? I kinda want to write a story and I know this will be great motivation but I'm terrible at picking themes. Too fickle.

open a dictionary, pick a word, off you go
    or look around the room, first thing you see
    then you're stuck with it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't mind picking the theme, but I won't be able to commit to it until the weekend as I'm working very odd hours this week with the races. I'll probably just pick a random word though, and you could just as easily do the same.

Let me know. :D

Ok, cool. Should I wait til Friday to post the theme then?

Yep.

Hope you win. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I wish I hadn't seen this thread now, I have read it from the OP by Pickarooney to Das Kitty's last post. I am now all of a twitch. What a great idea this Arena is.

I am looking forward to Friday now (or Saturday??) Lets spill some blood on the arena floor here. (By which I mean good luck to both of you and remember "Carpe Jugulum" ) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*claps excitedly*

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

It's been a while; tempted to throw my hat into the ring for the next slot.

bluewolf wrote: »
    *claps excitedly*

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

GRRRRRR!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That should be the next theme : fencing or the olympics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Ooh...good theme. Can't wait. Get cracking you guys. Allez, En guard!

chicamom wrote: »
    Ooh...good theme. Can't wait. Get cracking you guys. Allez, En guard!

Challenger gets to choose the theme. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

En garde!

I have just this minute been offered a ticket for Castlepalooza for the weekend. So I will not be able to take part after all - unless you can do it tomorrow evening? Let me know. Bummer, but I REALLY wanna go to Castlepalooza.

hcass wrote: »
    I have just this minute been offered a ticket for Castlepalooza for the weekend. So I will not be able to take part after all - unless you can do it tomorrow evening? Let me know. Bummer, but I REALLY wanna go to Castlepalooza.

Out for dinner tomorrow, sorry. I can do it next week no bother. Unless you want to leave it to Antilles (god help me) who expressed an interest?

• Advertisement

I don't mind - either way I'd love to do it next week. Antilles or yerself, will feel my wrath!

Has a theme been selected?

Antilles wrote: »
    Has a theme been selected?

I'm not ready until Friday because I have to work weird hours this week to avoid the races.

But no theme yet, so you can post one up on Friday if that suits you?

*readies the white flag*

Wait, so who is available when?

Wait, so who is available when?

Me and hcass were going to tussle Friday/Saturday. But she's off to some music festival thingie so I'm at a loose end.

Okay, I'm in. When's the deadline for us so?

Okay, I'm in. When's the deadline for us so?

You post the theme on Friday, I accept (probably) and then it's 24 hours to have up to 600 words of a story posted from the time of acceptance.

Lol if you refuse, this whole thing becomes an enormous bait n' switch ;)

Lol if you refuse, this whole thing becomes an enormous bait n' switch ;)

Barring major life events, there's very little that will make me refuse!

• Advertisement

Barring major life events, there's very little that will make me refuse!

:D:D:D

Advertisement