Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen fights on major shows Debate

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Its worth noting that in Senior Boxing and pro boxing you can start competing at 17, personally thats the age i see as been considered of age if there mature enough and good enough, Never been an issue with that and if there was believe me the Boxing would not allow it.

ps, i could be wrong but i think same applies in most combat sports.

Kids v Adults is just wrong and i would be very strict on matching my teens with others, usually i'd work off 2 yr gaps max.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

The easy way to stop it is for the promoter to make the proper call or for the Ref to say he won't ref a junior v adult match

QUOTE]

ok...I wont ref a junior v senior match up.
    before anyone says anything,I did once but I had no idea what was going on until both guys where in the ring.I brought the matter up on the night and will not be put in the same position again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

weemate wrote: »

The easy way to stop it is for the promoter to make the proper call or for the Ref to say he won't ref a junior v adult match

QUOTE]

ok...I wont ref a junior v senior match up.
    before anyone says anything,I did once but I had no idea what was going on until both guys where in the ring.I brought the matter up on the night and will not be put in the same position again.

That is a position that a ref should never find himself in. The duty is with the promoter and nobody else. Refs have enough to do without running about checking birth certificates

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I do agree that it is the promoters who will foot the blame.

It would help if coaches mentioned that fighters are under 18.

Advertisement