Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

I'm the same! Have a fab dress that won't look fab unless I kick a good 7-10 lbs off.
    I'm determined to get into it! We can aim for a 1lb a week, that'll make a huge difference!

Sounds good to me!!! My wi Thurs and think Ill be up so from then we ll fit into that dress by end of July!!! Keep me updated on your progress!!! Ill let you know when I finally get that zip up!!! Havent been tracking this week......Ive already learned from my mistakes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

guys,

need some idea's for salads, not the bits with the salad, but the actual salad veg.

I tend to have lettuce, peppers, tomato, onion, gherkins, boiled egg, beetroot and some dressing(low fat vinegerette, relish, low fat mayo, ...)

with any of the following:

salmon, tuna, ham, cheese, tuna&egg, boiled bacon, portion of meet from previous day's stirfry(diced pork/beef/turkey, ommeletes,....

its the salad veg that is starting to get a little bland, any idea's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    guys,

need some idea's for salads, not the bits with the salad, but the actual salad veg.

I tend to have lettuce, peppers, tomato, onion, gherkins, boiled egg, beetroot and some dressing(low fat vinegerette, relish, low fat mayo, ...)

salmon, tuna, ham, cheese, tuna&egg, boiled bacon, portion of meet from previous day's stirfry(diced pork/beef/turkey, ommeletes,....

avocado with chicken is Delish in salads

or add some sultanas to it...or diced apple or mango....

maybe break up some ryvita to act as crutons a bit of crunch

(i've been reading recipes all weekend...full of ideas)

maybe just switch from salad for a while....you'll be bored of the same ole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 47 opheila

My beat the hunger snacks are....

Strawberries
    Bananas (the odd time)
    Porridge (honey with fruit)
    Velvet Crunch
    Yogurts
    2 slices of WW toast
    Crispbreads with extra light laughing cow cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭flamelily

guys,

you have pretty much all the salad veg covered there.....except cucumber? I also add grated carrot, chopped apple or pineapple maybe? scallions also make a nice change from onion? sounds weird but I have been known to add raisins or chopped nuts (only adds a few extra points but can make a difference). I also add a small portion of avocado (sprinkle with lemon juice to stop it going brown)

Here is one of my fav salads.....love it in summer

I make a mixed bowl of lettuce (butter lettuce rather than iceberg), slices of cucumber, cherry tomatoes, I add a some slice chicken breast and a small portion of toasted almonds scattered. I get a tin of mandarin slices drained, reserving about a tsp of juice (you can use fresh fruit if you prefer), I scatter the mandarins in the salad then make a dressing mixing some low fat mayo and the tsp of juice and drizzle it over the salad.....I think its yummy!!! The nuts add crunch while the mandarins add a lovely sweet soft texture :cool: hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

flamelily wrote: »
    +1 on the passata......I use it for alot of my pasta sauces cause its a bit handier than a tin of tomatoes!! and it makes a really yummy sauce it you do what Baby75 suggests above. I also add a tsp of pesto some times and the longer you leave it to stew the better it tastes I think. I often make a whole big batch of sauce on the weekends and freeze it in portions so its ready for use during the week. I often put some over a chicken breast and bake it in the oven and serve with lots of veg and a portion of pasta or rice.....makes the chicken soft and juicy!!

please post the recipe if you find it, I love pasta sauce recipes, especially the tomato based ones as they are either low in points or zero points dead handy!!!

Italian pasta sauce 2 pp in over all recipe makes 2 litres
    3kg tomatoes
    1/2 a large onion chopped finely
    2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
    1tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
    1tsp of bicarbonate of soda (optional)
    1, preheat the oven to gas mark 1 or 140 oc fan 120 oc, remove the tough stalk from the tomatoes and squeeze gently to remove the seeds and white liner membrane,tearing the tomato flesh as you go. set the flesh to one side,discarding the rest of the tomato.
    2, in a large stock pot, sweat the onion and olive oil over a low heat for about 10 minutes untill very soft. add garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add the the garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add the tomato,basil and plenty of seasoning.
    3, turn the heat up slightly and bring to a simmer. break the tomatoes up with the back of a spoon and leave to simmer over a low heat, uncovered,for about 2 hours. if the sauce tastes bitter add 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
    4,towards the end of cooking time sterlise the jars by washing them in hot soapy water and placing them in the oven for 30 minutes. with a hand blender or food processor and pour in to warm jars.
    5, once cooked, lightly blend the sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 47 opheila

Other salad ideas: cous cous, pasta salad - tomato/passata (!) based sauce, peppers, sweetcorn, red onion, rice salad, potato salad, some quiche

I love making my salads slightly spicy now ... makes it a bit more interesting than the ordinary run of the mill salads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kitten Nuggets

Just started pro-points today! Never liked the old ww much but this has me intrigued, it seems sustainable and healthy.

Have 5 stone to go so wish me luck :)

Just started pro-points today! Never liked the old ww much but this has me intrigued, it seems sustainable and healthy.

Have 5 stone to go so wish me luck :)

I do a 'kindofamotivationalthingamajig', check the link in my sig if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Welcome to propoints Kitten Nuggets!
    Defo recommend joining the motivation thing, it's a great motivator!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Donegal3

Fair play to you Ladylaine, I am definately going to do the same next week can't wait to have the evenings to myself again won't know what to do with myself.

Have been losing every week like a pound or two as I am not getting home until 10 every evening for the last seven weeks as my dad has been in hospital and by the time I get my dinner there is no time for exercise so definately going to go full throtle from this weekend and hopefully will start getting some exercise in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and so envious of all your willpower, results and motivation. I jonied ww about 6 weeks ago and lost around 10lbs but struggled. I'm still struggling and have practically given up.I need help or something! I'm sitting here stuffing my face with chocolate! What am i at? I have one and a half stone to loose and can't motivate myself. I lost over two stone last year in 3 months by myself by just sensible eating and a lot of walking & cycling and was so motivated. Had a lot of personal issued over the winter as well as returning to college so piled it all on again. I'm an emotional eater, always have been.Lost my motivation along the way. Any ideas besides telling me to cop on to myslf?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BabyBlueJeans

I'm doing it at home, I was never at a class(my wife goes alright).
    for me it's just a case of being honest with my self and point everything

it's very doable i think

Its good to hear that its working for you. I think I might give it a go on my own .... and with the help +advice from everyone on this thread and your 'kindofamotivationalthingamajig'! If I havent lost any more weight at the end of August (or if I put back on some of the weight that I've lost) I will rejoin the classes to in better shape for Christmas. Hopefully I wont stop and will manage to lose some more weight over the summer. I'm doing this for me, I want to keep going, I just have to keep tracking..........

Donegal3 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Ladylaine, I am definately going to do the same next week can't wait to have the evenings to myself again won't know what to do with myself.

Have been losing every week like a pound or two as I am not getting home until 10 every evening for the last seven weeks as my dad has been in hospital and by the time I get my dinner there is no time for exercise so definately going to go full throtle from this weekend and hopefully will start getting some exercise in!!!

I'm trying to take full advantage of having time on my hands :)

Tomorrow making the Quorn lasagne and while the oven is oven is on going to make another dozen bran muffins, going to try them with pear :)

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and so envious of all your willpower, results and motivation. I jonied ww about 6 weeks ago and lost around 10lbs but struggled. I'm still struggling and have practically given up.I need help or something! I'm sitting here stuffing my face with chocolate! What am i at? I have one and a half stone to loose and can't motivate myself. I lost over two stone last year in 3 months by myself by just sensible eating and a lot of walking & cycling and was so motivated. Had a lot of personal issued over the winter as well as returning to college so piled it all on again. I'm an emotional eater, always have been.Lost my motivation along the way. Any ideas besides telling me to cop on to myslf?

you just described my winter! Family junk! College...i gained back like 18lbs between september and december! But 1st of jan copped my self on...and thankfully lost that again!

But then May came....eeeeeeh dear god....i ate and i ate and i ate i put on like half a stone in a month of exams, study, deadlines, booking my theory test....argueing with family over driving, having panic attacks over driving. Ect

I eat when i'm stressed/upset bad day used to = i deserve a treat.

Non food rewards! (i went out and got my self a new puppy)
    I Spent the weekend doing "homework" reading recipes, doing out shopping lists, and i hit like 5 supermarkets weekend just gone, stocked up on lots of basics...that lots of things can be made from.

I also flipped my mattress and changed my bed sheets...when i'm worrying about my weight and lack of losses i toss and turn....fresh sheets always garuntee me a good night sleep...so i was ready and charged to take on the day....the scales....the kitchen.

and even if your eating bad foods....going way over your points...track it...even tracking on the bad days is good practice. cos means your still holding your self somewhat accountable...its on paper...staring at you...evidence of your crime so to speak...its easy to just go....ah sure no one will know...if its in your tracker YOU will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Had my first weigh in today... only lost 2.5 lbs. Really dissapointed because I was hoping for 3-4 lbs my first week. I was so good, kept to my dailies and didn't use any of the 49 points so it's a bit demotivating. I know most people would be happy with 2.5 any week but if this is the best I can do I just have a feeling it will be a long road ahead.

Still going to stick with it, hopefully I'll be happier with the WI next week.

lizt wrote: »
    Had my first weigh in today... only lost 2.5 lbs. Really dissapointed because I was hoping for 3-4 lbs my first week. I was so good, kept to my dailies and didn't use any of the 49 points so it's a bit demotivating. I know most people would be happy with 2.5 any week but if this is the best I can do I just have a feeling it will be a long road ahead.

ww is about small and stead consistent losses...its not designed to make you have BIG losses.... everyone's body reacts different in the first week...and in every other week.

it depends on your starting weight...those who have it to lose...who are looking to lose like 3 or 4 or 5 stone will generally lose alot in the first week...

Also those going from a very unhealthy diet to ww will also lose more in there first week...cos its such a dramatic reduction in calories being consumed...

If you were already a pretty healthy eating...the shock to the body might not be so big, so might not see a HUGE loss in the first week or two.

same way if one only has like a stone or so to lose...when it comes to the workings of the body...thats not that much....so the body kinda fights to keep the fat stores for insulation ect...its just how the body works...thats why the last 7lbs in a diet are usually the hardest...cos the body is fighting to hold onto them...it thinks there is a food shortage...

I bet you will have consistant regular losses....2.5lbs is FANTASTIC! dont look at what "other people" have loss....everyones body works to there own beat!

And sure...you could easily have the big loss next week...our bodies or metabolisms dont care about WI days...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    ww is about small and stead consistent losses...its not designed to make you have BIG losses.... everyone's body reacts different in the first week...and in every other week.

it depends on your starting weight...those who have it to lose...who are looking to lose like 3 or 4 or 5 stone will generally lose alot in the first week...

Also those going from a very unhealthy diet to ww will also lose more in there first week...cos its such a dramatic reduction in calories being consumed...

If you were already a pretty healthy eating...the shock to the body might not be so big, so might not see a HUGE loss in the first week or two.

same way if one only has like a stone or so to lose...when it comes to the workings of the body...thats not that much....so the body kinda fights to keep the fat stores for insulation ect...its just how the body works...thats why the last 7lbs in a diet are usually the hardest...cos the body is fighting to hold onto them...it thinks there is a food shortage...

I bet you will have consistant regular losses....2.5lbs is FANTASTIC! dont look at what "other people" have loss....everyones body works to there own beat!

And sure...you could easily have the big loss next week...our bodies or metabolisms dont care about WI days...

See my diet before I started weight watchers was shocking - full of sugar and saturated fat. I also have about 6 stone to lose so I thought such a dramatic change in diet would show on the scales.
    The only thing that is consoling me is that my body is going through a sugar withdrawal type thing now so maybe it's just acting a bit weird at the minute :p

See my diet before I started weight watchers was shocking - full of sugar and saturated fat. I also have about 6 stone to lose so I thought such a dramatic change in diet would show on the scales.
    The only thing that is consoling me is that my body is going through a sugar withdrawal type thing now so maybe it's just acting a bit weird at the minute :p

it could just show next week...with so much to lose (and i have even MORE to lose than you) trust me....slow and steady is better....I notice when i get the "big" losses...i get a lil cocky and relaxed....ah sure i lost 3lbs last week...i can take it easy this week.....where as 1 or 2lbs every week...keps my momentum and motivation ticking over....

slow and steady does win the race....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Right i'm back on the wagon again. I lost the guts of about 2 stone about 4 years ago and i've put a stone-ish back on again. I've tried on and off since then to get back to my goal without much success.....but this time i mean it! I was super organised today but i'm very hungry now :( trying to fend off the hunger with water etc. I know it's the first day so trying to keep positive. Not a fantastic vege or fruit eater but i'm trying.

I joined the online weight watchers as i can't afford the 10 euro a week to attend the meeting so the boyfriend is going to be my leader and weigh me in every week :)

Thread is great by the way and some of the ideas fantastic! going to try the muffins over the weekend and keep them for lunches. Hopefully i can keep myself motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

you know what;just after been reading all the posts,and its just clicked with me im my own worst enemy!!!OMG:eek:Your'e all soooo good at workin at it(which we have to),im ashamed to say i had a 99 ice-cream to-day,that was ok but i preeceded to have more ice-cream after dinner,then as i was reading posts,:mad::mad:(embarsment)i had a time out finger,mini bar of some sort and :eek:a pk of crisps!!! And im half watchin the biggest loser!! now to make it better,ihave fresh pineapple chopped in fridge,blueberries,blackberries,strawberries and pears here(threw out grapes they were gone off),also lettuce,scallions,tomatoes.peppers in fridge,i need a tellin off,i was up .5lb this week and 4lbs last week,who am i kiddin????€10 per week and i not even workin the programme!!sorry 4 long post but i might improve when i see it in black and white:confused:

sandy_c wrote: »
    Right i'm back on the wagon again. I lost the guts of about 2 stone about 4 years ago and i've put a stone-ish back on again. I've tried on and off since then to get back to my goal without much success.....but this time i mean it! I was super organised today but i'm very hungry now :( trying to fend off the hunger with water etc. I know it's the first day so trying to keep positive. Not a fantastic vege or fruit eater but i'm trying.

I joined the online weight watchers as i can't afford the 10 euro a week to attend the meeting so the boyfriend is going to be my leader and weigh me in every week :)

Thread is great by the way and some of the ideas fantastic! going to try the muffins over the weekend and keep them for lunches. Hopefully i can keep myself motivated.

Woo! I'm useless at fruit and veg aswell! and i'm doing it online :D

Tinned pears...nice and soft and sweat....and ooooh YUM heated up with a vanilla yoghurt (put the yoghurt in the freezer for about an hour it kinda freezes) hot pear pudding with frozen yoghurt....1pp if you use ww yoghurts!

yummy....filling....and its fruit

i know i should get fresh fruit...just hard to get nice soft juicy pears...they all seem to be tastless rocks! and i dont live near shop...i'm not the primary shopper...my mum insists on getting unripened fruit so it "lasts" yeah thats grand...but by the time they fecking ripen i've eaten my way thru half the house...so tinned pears just work best for me....can buy them in bulk...they wont go off in the heat...and can be stored in the wardrobe in the hall LOL

make the muffins, wait until they go cold, then freeze them in sandwich bags...and take one out the night before or even the morning before going to work (they only need 30s in micrcowave to defrost) cos they are delish! i've been known to scoff a dozen in like 3 days....

1 muffin is 4 pp
    2 muffins are 7pp :D

hollyhock wrote: »
    you know what;just after been reading all the posts,and its just clicked with me im my own worst enemy!!!OMG:eek:Your'e all soooo good at workin at it(which we have to),im ashamed to say i had a 99 ice-cream to-day,that was ok but i preeceded to have more ice-cream after dinner,then as i was reading posts,:mad::mad:(embarsment)i had a time out finger,mini bar of some sort and :eek:a pk of crisps!!! And im half watchin the biggest loser!! now to make it better,ihave fresh pineapple chopped in fridge,blueberries,blackberries,strawberries and pears here(threw out grapes they were gone off),also lettuce,scallions,tomatoes.peppers in fridge,i need a tellin off,i was up .5lb this week and 4lbs last week,who am i kiddin????€10 per week and i not even workin the programme!!sorry 4 long post but i might improve when i see it in black and white:confused:

what channel is biggest loser on? i always missing it.... I try to have a "last chance work out" every friday before WI saturday morning!

We are all our own worst enemy...its how we got here in the first place...but the difference is....we know we're foodies....we admit it....we're honest about it...honesty is good for the soul!

I know fruit and veg just will not stay fresh! we have to wrap our milk with tea towel and ice pack at the moment to keep it from going off! fridge is as cold as it'll go.

our kitchen was designed crap...the oven is right next to the fridge...and its been on ALOT lately...plus the heat we're having at the moment...milk turning to cheese!

HA if ye're posts are long...what does that make my rants? LMAO

Right im off to bed to read ww magazine and Diet & fitness, read some articles, recipes, personal stories....hopefully learn something to help me along the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

guys,

I love some low fat feta basil leaves sundried tomato you can use the ones in the oil if you like or get the dry ones and put them in a little hot water to soften them I make my own dressing to go over it balsamic vinegar,sweet chilli sauce and tiny bit of olive oil add that to the norm and it really makes a lovely salad. I make a hot chicken salad as well just marinade the chicken and fry in low fat spray oil I use loads of veg and some dressing on it yummy I posted a recipe for chicken salad a few days ago It's back a few pages though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Can anyone tell me what Passata is like? Could you use it as a sauce for Spag Bol or do you need to add spices to it? Haven't used it before, always use tin of tomatoes for my chickent pasta bake but saw the Passata and iffy about trying new things.

Passata is great :D You can use it for loads of stuff, not just pasta based stuff. I use it for topping on pizza, I make baked aubergines with it, bake chicken in it. If you aren't a mad veggie fan, you can add a load of veg to it, then just blend it in the food processor and you'll get the goodness of veg without realising :D

Was at the gym last night, we did a load of ab workout, know I'll be sore later on :D My gym only does classes in 8 weeks sets, the next set is starting in two weeks and I've signed up to Double Step on Friday nights as well as Pole on Tuesdays - it's only a fiver a class for Double Step, sure I couldn't say no :D And man, it's a workout, I do be sweating buckets!

Having Ostrich Steaks for dinner tonight, hope they are nice! 200g is only 5pp :)

hollyhock wrote: »

we are indeed our own worst enemy but being honest about it is the first step in the right direction.....I am a self confessed chocoholic who has the willpower of a flea :o but by making small changes I am slowly wining the battle......first change is DON'T BUY THE JUNK!!! If its not in the house you can't eat it :D

I am an emotional eater.....when I get stressed....I eat.....when I get angry .....I eat......when I get upset......yup I eat.......so I only have healthy treats in the house......yougurts, fruits, the yummy bran muffins Lainy mentioned (great recipe, easy to make and YUMMO), so at least when i get the munchies I am not eating rubbish!!! I have fallen off the wagon a few times :o:o:o but the important thing is to admit it, dust yourself off and climb back on it and get going again!! write down what you eat when you have a bad day, point it and stick it to the biscuit tin.....when you see the wasted points:eek:, you will think twice before doing it again!!!

this thread is great, everyone helps out with hints, tips or just a shoulder to cry on.....lets face it, we have all been there :cool: so draw a line in the sand and start again.....we are all taking this weight loss journey together....1lb at a time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    my porridage is about as important as my morning coffee at this stage! I feel bloated and empty without it. 30g of cornflakes just looks pathetic in a bowl lol especially when they go soggy.....
    30 gr looks pathetic and is too littlle to fill you up. If you get tired of porridge, wheat bix for me is the best thing. Two biscuits is just 3 pp and you can bulk it out with banana and other fruit. My dh always has it with warm milk... says it is nicer, haven't tried that yet!

SAexpat wrote: »
    30 gr looks pathetic and is too littlle to fill you up. If you get tired of porridge, wheat bix for me is the best thing. Two biscuits is just 3 pp and you can bulk it out with banana and other fruit. My dh always has it with warm milk... says it is nicer, haven't tried that yet!

+1 on the wheat bix......I switch between oats and these as I find the regular cereals like rice crispies just don't fill me up ... might have them at the weekend where I can get a boiled egg or something after :D

I have to have my wheat bix warm as well.....can't bear them cold!!! I make mine with a mixture of water and milk and nuke em in the microwave for about 1 min......tis yummy especially in winter, I often add a handful of raisins or chopped banana just before I eat :cool:

Down 1lb today! Thats nearly 9lbs in 5wks with little or no excersise, can't wait for the bike to arrive so i can put a dent into getting below 200lbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Just wanted to say well done on the 2.5lbs, also just to make a suggestion, maybe you should try to use the weeklies this week. I have found that weeks I dont use them I loose about 2 lbs but the weeks I do I have lost 3-4lbs. Weird I know but it seems to be the way my body works. I also earn a good few activity points and I dont normally use them but the weeks I do I have still lost. Its trial and error at this stage untill you find what works for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement