Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Also assuming you qualify as its a top up degree, you will get €1250 if your income is over €22,703 or €2445 if your income is below €22,703...

Rachel seek advice asap. Contact the mature student office in your uni. I have heard of cases whereby because people already have a primary degree (level7) they dont qualify for the grant to top up to level 8. Is it just 1 more year you will be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Will that grant entitilments your stated there included the registeration fee or is it reg fees +the grant entitlment???

Yes it's just one more year!! oh god I never heard of that,i'm returning to college tomorrow so I will go to the students union for advice.

yes it includes fees and the reg fee but you will have to pay your admin fee. (variable depending on your uni, in UCC its €150, which I dont have right now!!) Final year and a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Thanks for your help,time will tell what I get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I did a Level 7 ,three year business course and I live within the 45km distance which the gov has unfairly introduced:eek::(

also income is below 18,000

One of the reasons I'm not getting the grant is because I've done 3 years without one and going into 4th year now and for some reason they want to means test me for 2007 instead of last year, which is a new rule apparently? so if that rule applies to me I don't see how they can justify changing yours like that. Ridiculous, hope you get it in the end.

The councillor seems to think I might have a case, fingers crossed.

Mickeroo,

WTF has your income in 2007 got to do with now? Surely its your 2010 income that matters. I know people who didnt qualify for 1 & 2nd year but due to recession and parents losing jobs, they reapplied and got it for subsequent years. Infact if you were reliant on income that has gone during the year you fill out the supplemental information sheets.

Jokers!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo,

WTF has your income in 2007 got to do with now? Surely its your 2010 income that matters. I know people who didnt qualify for 1 & 2nd year but due to recession and parents losing jobs, they reapplied and got it for subsequent years. Infact if you were reliant on income that has gone during the year you fill out the supplemental information sheets.

Jokers!

Yea it makes no sense to me either! I had no income whatsoever in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Just a bit of a query: I have been accepted for BTEA and have applied for fees to be paid for by Grant. I am 26, started in UL as a mature student doing a Level 8 degree. In 2006 i finished a level 7 (ordinary degree) course in WIT, so i'm past the 5 years for the second chance grant thing.

The other day i got a letter from the Grants office asking for a couple of forms i need to send to them. Is this a good sign or could i still be turned down? Like, would they have asked for the new info if they were just gonna turn me down????

Just a bit of a query: I have been accepted for BTEA and have applied for fees to be paid for by Grant. I am 26, started in UL as a mature student doing a Level 8 degree. In 2006 i finished a level 7 (ordinary degree) course in WIT, so i'm past the 5 years for the second chance grant thing.

The other day i got a letter from the Grants office asking for a couple of forms i need to send to them. Is this a good sign or could i still be turned down? Like, would they have asked for the new info if they were just gonna turn me down????

I'm not entirely sure, what were the forms? If they're asking for stuff off you then it probably means they haven't made a decision yet, good sign more than anything I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

When they start paying that grant?

kukazhina wrote: »
    When they start paying that grant?

If you have already been told you have definitely got it you should see your 1st payment in the next 4 weeks. Some are paid direct to your bank other authorities require you to pick it up form Uni admin (assuming you are at a uni that is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

If you have already been told you have definitely got it you should see your 1st payment in the next 4 weeks. Some are paid direct to your bank other authorities require you to pick it up form Uni admin (assuming you are at a uni that is!)

Yes, I already give college bank details and letter from vec! Hope it will be soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

I have contacted a local FG high ranking Minister about this issue, for obvious reasons I have removed their name and and some content due to privacy reasons. But it will give you an idea of the response from the minister. please see emails below. I feel this is important for transparency.

Dear [ministers name removed],

I am a resident in your constituency. I am greatly concerned about the
    significant changed to student grants. I am in my last year of college,
    and unfortunately I will have to drop out without completing my final
    year. This is largely due to the cuts in the student grant.
    Unfortunately I have applied for many part-time jobs, although most
    employers are receiving a lot of applicants for the positions
    advertised, and end up selecting a person more flexible towards working
    hours. this leads to less jobs for students as jobs are already limited.

I have lots of experience working in the hospitality area , the lower
    scale of employment and still can not find a part time job to fund my
    progression in college. I am a mature student (27) and have no support
    from my parents.

Can you please suggest to your party leader to revert the FF budget
    change on student grants. If this grant cut goes ahead many talented
    people will discontinue college by dropping out and signing on the live
    register, at-least until they find employment, which will take some time
    as they are unqualified and the job market is limited. This budget
    change, in-effect, reduces the student grant by over 80 percent,
    literately, overnight. The travel distance that was more than doubled
    should be reverted back to its original level.

I understand that we need to make savings in line with our fiscal, IMF,
    EU obligations, however by suddenly cutting grants to students will only
    in-effect, divert a large amount of people to apply for social welfare
    payments, costing the state approx 10,000 a year excluding other
    benefits. This cost is much higher than providing grants for college,
    and furthermore the student becomes qualified and able to re enter the
    job market (for life). It makes much more sense.

I am really hoping this policy is changed otherwise I will have to leave
    college as i will be unable to afford to continue. If you take
    sometime to visit some student blogs, websites, unions there is a lot of
    students in my position who will have to drop out of college. This
    policy only leads to brain-drain out most talented, who we need to help
    us get out of this crisis in the long-term. These grant changes are
    significant, and are reduced by over 80 percent. This is social in
    justice to the students who started college not knowing the extend of
    reductions expected. I expected 5/10 percent, but not 80. I will be
    happy to make an appointment with your office to talk with you on this
    issue. there are many other students who share this concern. Please
    consider my plea to raise this topic.

Yours sincerely
    [ripo]

.........................break...................................

On 16/09/2011 10:58, [Minster wrote:

> [ripo],
    >
    > Thank you for contacting me about an issue of particular concern to you.
    >
    > I understand the argument you make and let me assure you that I will contact the Minister for Education, whose remit this issue comes under.
    >
    > Just to say to you as well that allowances are made for those hardship cases where a top-up is provided in a special rate of grant for students on particularly low incomes. I don't know if you have actually applied for such a top-up?
    >
    > In the mean time, I raise this issue with Minister Ruairi Quinn and revert back to you with an update at the earliest possible opportunity.
    >
    > Should there be any other local or national matter where I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact with either myself or Councillor [ministers name removed] and we'll do whatever we can to help.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > [ministers name removed]

.........................................break...................................

Thank you for your swift reply and forwarding the concern. I was originally on the special rate, although the new introduced changes affects this rate. In order to receive a grant (top-up) otherwise known as special rate a student must live 45 kilometers from the college/university in which they are studying. These are the new conditions that will be applied under the new act. A special rate grant is only applicable in cases where a student is progressing to a higher level, and 45 kilometers distance from the institution. Moreover, only a selected few of universities promote this extra rate. With this in mind, only a small selected amount of disadvantaged students have access to this grant on the basis of their geographical location.

In order for a student to obtain this grant, he/she would have to move 45 kilometers away from their institution of study. Although the national infrastructure has improved, services remain expensive while the frequencies, effectiveness of transport systems fail to meet the full needs of the population. Moreover Transport 21 is still underway and has not been completed in full. This was demonstrated were a student living outside Galway, studying in NUI Galway had her grant changed, and reduced by over 60 percent, yet the transport system was not effective, if she used the transport system, she would have arrived to college at 11am every day missing a variety of important lectures in the morning. This is one of the students who have raised their concern to the national students union of Ireland, and her case is one of the main cases that will be applied at the high court case in October (Students Union of Ireland V Rep of Ireland) The previous government when extending the travel distance from 24 kilometers to 45 kilometers justified there decision, due to the upgrading of the national infrastructure in regards to roads, and transport.

Although this was a decision implemented by the previous government, I strongly feel we must review this policy, in order to allow our most disadvantaged people to have equal access to education. We have a constitutional obligation, never-minding our obligations under European and International Human rights law. I strongly am in favour of budget cuts in every sector to meet EU/IMF targets. Although we need to effectively manage these in order to progress our economy. Graduates contribute to 70 percent more tax than non-graduates. I know you understand my argument, but I rather see an increase of tax revenue than a hike of people on the live register.

I would ask the government to continue to cut the student grants, not increase the travel distance as this only reduces the grant by 60 percent. According the students Union of Ireland, although not an independent result, has stressed that 25,000 students will have to leave college this year because of the grant cuts. I know this is a debated topic, although it would be better to abolish free fees for people earning a high income, when I mean High income, I’m talking about 250,000 per year. This extra credit can help meet our targets under the IMF/EU and allow disadvantaged students to enter college. It’s a bit like the Robin Hood idea. The US president has also recently arranged new increased tax measures for the more privileged. My idea is to means test education free fees. I believe this is the right thing to do, as the ‘free fees system’ allows people to have free education, but does not consider how they will pay for it. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best,
    [ripo]

....................break.............................................

[ripo],

Thanks again for contacting me about this issue.

I have taken on board the points you have made and I've contacted the Minister for Education about the current situation and asked him to examine the issues which you have raised.

As soon as I have an update for you, I'll be in further contact with you.

Best Wishes,

[ministers name]

The High Court has granted the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), the national union for Higher & Further Education students, leave to challenge a reform of student grants, which will see some students face cuts of over 60 per cent in their grants this year.

http://campus.ie/news/college-news/students-launch-high-court-challenge-against-%E2%80%98savage%E2%80%99-cuts-to-grants
    http://www.usi.ie/student-news/1667-students-launch-high-court-challenge-against-savage-cuts-to-grants.html

This article identifies that we need to contact our students union to place pressure on them to act.

I wrote two emails to the Current DCU Students Union president, who never even bothered to reply to my email. I can not mention his name on here, but one click on google and it shall be found. What I can do is provide a copy of the emails in which i sent.

..............break................

Hi [2011/2012 DCU Presidents name removed],

I'm just wondering if the Student Union is planning anything on the recent grant cuts from the government that come into effect this academic term. The USI have taken the government to the high court, although I'm just curious what we are doing at DCU. There appears to be no information on our website, and this concerns the majority of DCU students.

I have sent you an email lat week, and have still not heard from you. The Students Union of Ireland are really involved in this, and maybe we should be too, 25,000 students will have to drop out of college this year alone because of these cuts.

Regards
    [ripo]

................break................................

Hi [name removed],

Im just wondering if the Student Union is planning anything on the recent grant cuts from the government that come into effect this academic term. The USI have taken the government to the high court, although what is DCU Student union doing about this, there appears to be no information on our website, and this concerns the majority of DCU students.

Regards
    [ripo]

Hey everyone, Need your attention.

For the first time ever, On 6 October 2011 the United Nations will be accessing Ireland, and its obligations to enforce human rights.

You can officially submit a complaint against the State of Ireland directly to the Human Rights commission on this website which will be reviewed.

you can mention the grants, and how it effects the equal access of disadvantaged people.

or you could mention the lack of father rights under current Irish family law

you could mention the lack of equal rights for women under the Irish constitution...

whatever floats your boat, get out and be heard!

to have your say, visit http://www.upr.ie/Clients/CEGA/UPRWeb.nsf/page/index-en

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ripo wrote: »
    Hey everyone, Need your attention.

For the first time ever, On 6 October 2011 the United Nations will be accessing Ireland, and its obligations to enforce human rights.

You can officially submit a complaint against the State of Ireland directly to the Human Rights commission on this website which will be reviewed.

you can mention the grants, and how it effects the equal access of disadvantaged people.

or you could mention the lack of father rights under current Irish family law

you could mention the lack of equal rights for women under the Irish constitution...

whatever floats your boat, get out and be heard!

to have your say, visit http://www.upr.ie/Clients/CEGA/UPRWeb.nsf/page/index-en

Em..... submissions had to be in by June

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

I have contacted a local FG high ranking Minister

Thank you for your swift reply and forwarding the concern. I was originally on the special rate, although the new introduced changes affects this rate. In order to receive a grant (top-up) otherwise known as special rate a student must live 45 kilometers from the college/university in which they are studying. These are the new conditions that will be applied under the new act. A special rate grant is only applicable in cases where a student is progressing to a higher level, and 45 kilometers distance from the institution. Moreover, only a selected few of universities promote this extra rate. With this in mind, only a small selected amount of disadvantaged students have access to this grant on the basis of their geographical location.

In order for a student to obtain this grant, he/she would have to move 45 kilometers away from their institution of study. Although the national infrastructure has improved, services remain expensive while the frequencies, effectiveness of transport systems fail to meet the full needs of the population. Moreover Transport 21 is still underway and has not been completed in full. This was demonstrated were a student living outside Galway, studying in NUI Galway had her grant changed, and reduced by over 60 percent, yet the transport system was not effective, if she used the transport system, she would have arrived to college at 11am every day missing a variety of important lectures in the morning. This is one of the students who have raised their concern to the national students union of Ireland, and her case is one of the main cases that will be applied at the high court case in October (Students Union of Ireland V Rep of Ireland) The previous government when extending the travel distance from 24 kilometers to 45 kilometers justified there decision, due to the upgrading of the national infrastructure in regards to roads, and transport.

Although this was a decision implemented by the previous government, I strongly feel we must review this policy, in order to allow our most disadvantaged people to have equal access to education. We have a constitutional obligation, never-minding our obligations under European and International Human rights law. I strongly am in favour of budget cuts in every sector to meet EU/IMF targets. Although we need to effectively manage these in order to progress our economy. Graduates contribute to 70 percent more tax than non-graduates. I know you understand my argument, but I rather see an increase of tax revenue than a hike of people on the live register.

I would ask the government to continue to cut the student grants, not increase the travel distance as this only reduces the grant by 60 percent. According the students Union of Ireland, although not an independent result, has stressed that 25,000 students will have to leave college this year because of the grant cuts. I know this is a debated topic, although it would be better to abolish free fees for people earning a high income, when I mean High income, I’m talking about 250,000 per year. This extra credit can help meet our targets under the IMF/EU and allow disadvantaged students to enter college. It’s a bit like the Robin Hood idea. The US president has also recently arranged new increased tax measures for the more privileged. My idea is to means test education free fees. I believe this is the right thing to do, as the ‘free fees system’ allows people to have free education, but does not consider how they will pay for it. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best,
    [ripo]

....................break.............................................

[
    [ministers name]

You can still receive the special rate even if you live less than 45km from the college but you only receive the adjacent special rate.

Rates
    Changes in grant rates are considered during the annual Budget process and become effective in January at the beginning of the financial year.

Rates
    Changes in grant rates are considered during the annual Budget process and become effective in January at the beginning of the financial year.

Maintenance grant rates for 2011
    Type Non-adjacent rate Adjacent rate
    Special rate €6,100 €2,445
    Full Maintenance €3,120 €1,250
    Part maintenance (75%) €2,340 €940
    Part maintenance (50%) €1,560 €625
    Part maintenance (25%) €780 €315

Em..... submissions had to be in by June

Ahh crap, I just spent the last 2 hours writing a report :(

B1977 wrote: »
    You can still receive the special rate even if you live less than 45km from the college but you only receive the adjacent special rate.

Rates

Rates

Maintenance grant rates for 2011
    Type Non-adjacent rate Adjacent rate
    Special rate €6,100 €2,445
    Full Maintenance €3,120 €1,250
    Part maintenance (75%) €2,340 €940
    Part maintenance (50%) €1,560 €625
    Part maintenance (25%) €780 €315

If a student was getting lets say €6355 last year, and you apply the 4 % reduction, and again you reduce there grant again because they live within 45k as opposed to 24 (or none for previous Mature students) that in effect reduced there grant by more than 70%

and.... it was all done overnight!

I hope the USI win the in their high court battle... if they do it will cause a lot of problems for grant administration officers around the country who will have to re-look at applications! this will be a major embarrassed ... but who in the VEC cares... they will be getting paid for overtime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just wondering what the situation would be if I was a mature student who completed 1st year in college, then failed second year and left the country for 2 years would i be intitled to the grant

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just wondering what the situation would be if I was a mature student who completed 1st year in college, then failed second year and left the country for 2 years would i be intitled to the grant

thats very interesting. I don't want to give any false hope, but if you were getting a grant in 1st year my idea would be that you should get it for the remainder of the course.

This is because you have been accessed already, although any income earnings may be taken into consideration that may effect you.

as seen on BBC News, if your a student with no grant, OR very little grant, or if you find your grant cut by more than 60% from non adjacent to adjacent i suggst you leave Ireland, and study in Europe, Universities are also better there. But do your self a favour, when you graduate, please don't return to Ireland to pay tax back into the governments hands! as they simply don't deserve it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15031461

^ Written Answers ^ - Higher Education Grants
    Thursday, 15 September 2011
    Dáil Éireann Debate
    Vol. 740 No. 2
    Unrevised

Page of 114
    63. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Education and Skills if any provision will be made for students who are already in third level education and who are in receipt of non-adjacent higher education grants which have been reduced in budget 2011 but who may have to drop out of college due to inability to pay; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [24369/11]

Minister for Education and Skills (Deputy Ruairí Quinn): I regret that the economic circumstances of the country are such that I am not in a position to reverse any of the changes to the student grant measures announced in Budget 2011 by the previous Fianna Fáil - Green Party Government. These changes included the removal of the automatic entitlement of mature students to the non-adjacent rate of grant and an increase in the qualifying distance criterion for the non-adjacent rate of grant.

From this September, students who reside 45 kilometres or more from their higher education institution will continue to be eligible for the higher, non-adjacent rate of grant. Those on particularly low incomes will also continue to receive a “top-up” in the special rate of grant. In addition, third level students in difficult financial circumstances will have access to the Student Assistance Fund. I understand the concerns of students with regard to the changes to the student grant schemes for the 2011/12 academic year and I will take account of these in considering any future changes as part of the budgetary process for 2012 and beyond, having regard to the position of the public finances.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/09/15/00058.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12 blankname!

thats very interesting. I don't want to give any false hope, but if you were getting a grant in 1st year my idea would be that you should get it for the remainder of the course.

This is because you have been accessed already, although any income earnings may be taken into consideration that may effect you.

Hi,
    Just because you have been previously accessed does not automatically mean you will get back into the grant system. I received the grant in my first year of college but then changed my course (level 8) at the end of first year. I was unable to transfer the credits which I had accumulated and had to enter the first year of the new course (also level 8.) I was not eligible for the grant in the first year of the new course because I was deemed to be repeating the year. When I enquired about receiving the grant for the second year in my new course I was informed that I would have to reapply again as a new applicant.

The changes to grants this year basically mean that if you are a mature student living less than 45km from chosen college you will be entitled to the grand sum of 1200 for the academic year. Mature students were previously entitled to the non-adjacent rate of payment regardless of distance from college, this was abolished in the budget:mad:

I feel very strongly that we should not be railroaded into accepting these cuts. Politicians who earn 100k are only taking a cut of 5k, students are expected to now live on fresh air and leave their children home alone because they cant pay for childcare :mad:

Anyone else with strong feelings on this matter ?

i'm with you too on this one

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yea it makes no sense to me either! I had no income whatsoever in 2010.

I hate to say this, but these politicians are now taking the p%&*s

they want review your grant before the economic problems, so in theory they would not have to pay your grant, as things were good then, rather than look at your case from last year!!!

OMG, what has this country gone too?? these fat cats are earning hundred of thousands each year!!!! WTF???

I hate to say this, but these politicians are now taking the p%&*s

they want review your grant before the economic problems, so in theory they would not have to pay your grant, as things were good then, rather than look at your case from last year!!!

OMG, what has this country gone too?? these fat cats are earning hundred of thousands each year!!!! WTF???

Defies logic really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drominagh

Hi all
    I am one of a group of students campaigning to have the mature student grants cuts reversed.
    The issue of mature student grant cuts will be discussed tomorrow, 7th October 2011, on Joe Duffy RTE1, tomorrow, Friday, 1.45pm to 3pm. If you or anyone you know is affected by this issue, please contact the programme.
    The more voices heard, the better our chances of influencing change.
    Contact Joe: 1850 715 815
    from Northern Ireland 08457 853 333
    E-mail joe@rte.ie
    Text 51551 during the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drominagh

Hi all
    I am one of a group of students campaigning to have the mature student grants cuts reversed.
    The issue of mature student grant cuts will be discussed tomorrow, 7th October 2011, on Joe Duffy RTE1, tomorrow, Friday, 1.45pm to 3pm. If you or anyone you know is affected by this issue, please contact the programme.
    The more voices heard, the better our chances of influencing change.
    Contact Joe: 1850 715 815
    from Northern Ireland 08457 853 333
    E-mail joe@rte.ie
    Text 51551 during the programme.

Advertisement