Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Spud5467

Its based on your home address. You apply for the grant to Cavan Council as Cavan is your home address, I take it you wont be permanently moving to Dublin?

I'll go and see guidance and hopefully things will become clearer.

On social welfare so be getting BTEA and I need to apply for the grant to cover my student fees right?

I'll be living in dublin when I'm studying but it would hardly make sense to keep two houses. That would hardly be an option as im on rent allowance right?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

does anyone know if if I'd be entitled to a mortgage relief grant as a mature student? Im an owner occupier living in blessington, & thinking about a change in careers. (electricians arent in quite the same demand anymore) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RebelJukebox

It is absolutely criminal to do this to people particularly half way through a course. Why are the poorer students being penalised? If your parents can afford to put you through college they have had no increase in what they have to pay. However the poorer students relying on grants and social welfare are having nearly 80% of their money taken away. All I heard from policitians is that they wouldn't put up fees. I'd rather they did a small percentage overall than take so much off the vunerable. It makes me really furious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

I have no choice but to drop out of my course in lyit. As a single parent of 2 there is no way i can afford childcare even last year the grant was only a help didnt cover it. im sickened 2years of my life wasted back on the dole que with no qualification. One more year and i would have had the degree i worked so hard for but i cannot have my kids starved to struggle through the year. Disgrace this country if childcare was paid id struggle on but no lyit didnt even help with that last year. So annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

This decision needs to be reversed.People need to contact their local politican.It needs to be made known that students will end up having to drop out of college.This could actually cost the government more in the long term as someone who was just getting the grant which amounted to Euro 6000 will now drop down to Euro 2500.They will go back on the dole at a cost of EURO 10000.
    instead of the government trying to save EURO 4000,they will be paying out 7000 more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

does anyone know if if I'd be entitled to a mortgage relief grant as a mature student? Im an owner occupier living in blessington, & thinking about a change in careers. (electricians arent in quite the same demand anymore) thanks.
    If you are a full time student you don't get it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

loca1 wrote: »
    I have no choice but to drop out of my course in lyit. As a single parent of 2 there is no way i can afford childcare even last year the grant was only a help didnt cover it. im sickened 2years of my life wasted back on the dole que with no qualification. One more year and i would have had the degree i worked so hard for but i cannot have my kids starved to struggle through the year. Disgrace this country if childcare was paid id struggle on but no lyit didnt even help with that last year. So annoyed
    Have you tried the SVP? or asked LYIT for funding through the student assistance fund?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stripey sox

A loss of almost 4000 will mean that many mature students will not be able to pay for vital childcare and therefore will have to leave their courses. It must also be remembered that those travelling 43 km to college will have almost the same expenses as those travellling the obligatory 45 km and yet will lose most of their grant. The harsh budgetary measures seem to forget those who are not entitled to BTEA and therefore had to depend on the grant. Its ridiculous that our government continue to make drastic changes without proper research and consideration. I dont expect to be unaffected by the recession but when I started my degree 2 yrs ago did I presumed that my grants would continue until I had finished. It does not even seem that they will save much from these cuts. Perhaps the savings will pay for the cost of storing our e-voting machines for another few yrs ??. Also I would like to add that apparently the USI had a protest last week, why was this not properly advertised. MOBILISE THE TROOPS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've just gotten my offer for GMIT and im entitled to the free fees, just wondering how does it work? i will apply for the grant but doubt il get anything but do i apply for free fees or is it automatic? Thanks im sure its been answered before.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Hi my fella is getting btea when he starts so Will all his fees be paid for? he is applying for the grant to get some fees paid. We're just wondering Will he need to save before he starts.
    Also we're living more than 45kms from the college so are going to move nearer to it with our baby, Will this affect anything?

• Advertisement

I've just gotten my offer for GMIT and im entitled to the free fees, just wondering how does it work? i will apply for the grant but doubt il get anything but do i apply for free fees or is it automatic? Thanks im sure its been answered before.

"Free fees" are automatically set by the college - The college charges you a 2000 Euro "student contribution" which the grant can pay if you are eligible

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

hi

I left my cao number out when submitting my grant form online.
    :rolleyes: i know!!
    I emailed them there with all relevant details and cao number.
    Would that be ok ??

LaLucy wrote: »
    Hi my fella is getting btea when he starts so Will all his fees be paid for? he is applying for the grant to get some fees paid. We're just wondering Will he need to save before he starts.
    Also we're living more than 45kms from the college so are going to move nearer to it with our baby, Will this affect anything?

It depends - The BTEA should cover all the tuition fees (once he is eligible for free fees, which presumably he is). He can apply for the grant to cover the student contribution of €2000. Some colleges have an additional student levy -e.g. UCD about 190 - This has to be paid by him and noone else.

In terms of moving it doesn't make any difference whatsoever because the distance is only an issue for the maintenance grant (people on BTEA are ineligible for the maintenance grant but not the fee grant)

Terry Pratchet

rocco. wrote: »
    hi

I left my cao number out when submitting my grant form online.
    :rolleyes: i know!!
    I emailed them there with all relevant details and cao number.
    Would that be ok ??

Give them a ring just in case

Terry Pratchet

When applying for the grant do you need to submit original documents e.g to prove you have dependents you must send your child's birth cert? How can you prove your p.p.s number without sending the social welfare card?
    I scanned and copied all the documents so hopefully that Will do because if we move in the meantime they could send back the documents to old address into the wrong hands, o kafuffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

"Free fees" are automatically set by the college - The college charges you a 2000 Euro "student contribution" which the grant can pay if you are eligible
    Not sure i phrased it right, the registration fees are €2000 yes? As its my first tie at this level i do not have to pay yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not sure i phrased it right, the registration fees are €2000 yes? As its my first tie at this level i do not have to pay yes?

You don't have to pay the course fees which can be anything up to €8,000+.

The registration fee of €2,000 you pay if you are entitled to free fees. If you qualify for a grant, this registration fee will be paid for you.

The "registration fee" is now called the "student contribution". If you are succesful in getting a grant - it is called a "fee grant" and it will be paid. If you do not get the grant then you have to pay it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

When applying for the grant do you need to submit original documents e.g to prove you have dependents you must send your child's birth cert? How can you prove your p.p.s number without sending the social welfare card?
    I scanned and copied all the documents so hopefully that Will do because if we move in the meantime they could send back the documents to old address into the wrong hands, o kafuffle!

I just rang asking about sending in my sons birth cert and she asked what age he is (4) so she said that wont apply hope thats some help to you. Your pps number might be on any correspondence you might have had with the social welfare or maybe a revenue letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

Have you tried the SVP? or asked LYIT for funding through the student assistance fund?

Might be looking at SVP myself later this year.... Im going into my 4th and final year in Uni and during the last 3 years 3 of my kids turned 18 (and they removed the Child Allowance for kids aged 18 and still in education....damned transition year!).
    Also the same 3 have left or will leave education by September and our Family Income Supplement is due then so we will lose that too.
    At the same time my grant is going to be a third of what it was..........

In total our income will be about €1500 per month less than it was when I started my course. Screwed...

I suppose I am a little lucky; I will enter internship in January and will see a wage from late Jan until September; albeit a substantially reduced payment due to further government cuts........ 4th year will be stressful enough without money worries. Interest rate rises too, we will be living week to week come September and praying the Student Assistance Fund will help but the forms arent around til November and it doesnt pay out til Feb/March.

Wish I could do some kind of work but 2 kids still at home and uni is usually 9-5 mon-fri............

• Advertisement

I just rang asking about sending in my sons birth cert and she asked what age he is (4) so she said that wont apply hope thats some help to you. Your pps number might be on any correspondence you might have had with the social welfare or maybe a revenue letter.

Thank you. I won't it either, my daughters 1 so hope it's the same for us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 single mummy

Just cant believe this. Received decision on my grant application for my final year the other day. A single mother with 600euro rent and 360 euro childcare p/m. Cut by over 60%.... 4000 euro. 3 years at college wasted, no way in hell I can manage on 2500 for the year, it barely covers 3months rent.

I can understand if these cuts were to be made on a phased bases, i.e new applications as a Mature student, where the necessary options can be weighed up and finances studied before deciding to return to education, but enforcing these cuts on students who have already entered the the education system is an absolute disgrace. i cant believe it, one year away from an honors degree and i have to drop out. According to the students union 20% of students are affected. The SAF cannot possibly keep every person affected in the system. Aaaaaarrrrgh I am so friggin mad. The last 3years of my life have been a constant struggle financially and mentally.... for what???? Nothing

Just cant believe this. Received decision on my grant application for my final year the other day. A single mother with 600euro rent and 360 euro childcare p/m. Cut by over 60%.... 4000 euro. 3 years at college wasted, no way in hell I can manage on 2500 for the year, it barely covers 3months rent.

I can understand if these cuts were to be made on a phased bases, i.e new applications as a Mature student, where the necessary options can be weighed up and finances studied before deciding to return to education, but enforcing these cuts on students who have already entered the the education system is an absolute disgrace. i cant believe it, one year away from an honors degree and i have to drop out. According to the students union 20% of students are affected. The SAF cannot possibly keep every person affected in the system. Aaaaaarrrrgh I am so friggin mad. The last 3years of my life have been a constant struggle financially and mentally.... for what???? Nothing

Could you not try and get some extra assistance through the student assistance fund in your college and the local saint vincent de paul?

Terry Pratchet

Hi Mango Salsa.

Thanks for your reply.

I have already contacted the office for the Student Assistance Fund, however the forms are not available to apply until the beginning of the academic year and my issue is that i cannot make a decision to enter 4th year as its not feasible,Unless I can be guaranteed assistance before hand. im not sure how to go about contacting SVP. Its such a terrible situation, I just feel so let down. Ive been telling myself it will be worth it in the end for so long.

Hi Mango Salsa.

Thanks for your reply.

I have already contacted the office for the Student Assistance Fund, however the forms are not available to apply until the beginning of the academic year and my issue is that i cannot make a decision to enter 4th year as its not feasible,Unless I can be guaranteed assistance before hand. im not sure how to go about contacting SVP. Its such a terrible situation, I just feel so let down. Ive been telling myself it will be worth it in the end for so long.

Ok - Have you spoken to the student union welfare officer?

Also - The SVP website is here - maybe ring them and see if they can put you in touch with someone

http://www.svp.ie/Contact-Us/Get-In-Touch.aspx

Terry Pratchet

Thanks a million, yes i have done, unfortunately there are such a high number of students affected there isnt much they can do... They cant make promises or guarantees of financial aid or to everyone affected :-( which is understandable I suppose.

Its the government that like to do such things, keep us sweet tell us they wont do it and then enforce it the following year!!!! Just for the craic like... its only peoples lives they are messing with!!!!

thank you for the link, much appreciated. ill keep you posted!!! :-)

I feel your pain... Im in the same situation added to that 3 of my kids are leaving full time education this year so we will most likely lose our FIS. My maths equates our loss to be about €1500 per month between grant/FIS/ChBen. My only consolation is that I start my internship in Jan so will see my 1st pay packet end of Jan.
    I have contact the union Welfare Officer and they cant help until the forms are out at the end of Sept and even then like you say no guarentees. SVP have said they will visit me but that was 2 weeks ago- mind you they are exceptionally busy!
    If its any help AIB are willing to give deferred loans - my last line of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭kukazhina

Honey ,I understand u, I get the same answer yesterday that I can get only 2445!!!!! I'm still in shock today, don't know how we gone survive this year as I have childcare cost to!!!!! Absolutely shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Maybe there is any chance If we try to appeal decision?

kukazhina wrote: »
    Honey ,I understand u, I get the same answer yesterday that I can get only 2445!!!!! I'm still in shock today, don't know how we gone survive this year as I have childcare cost to!!!!! Absolutely shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Maybe there is any chance If we try to appeal decision?

Unfortunately the new rules mean that mature students dont automatically qualify for the non-adjacent rate and they have extended the distance to 45km... There is no appeal except that of the USI but Im not optimistice of their success... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Saoirsef

I'm mature also, and i rent privately and have the usual bills but no kids. I have struggled all of last year being a student, i thought about giving up college fora millisecond. It is going to be worth it at the end even with all the cuts.
    I got my course in UCC so i have another 4 years ahead of me, but i'll never quit it, its my dream job and its worth the effort.
    Once i finished in may, i had a fetac qualification and i wenr and got a decent part time job that will work well with university schedule and holidays etc, im doing great now and have learned the value of a savings account (:rolleyes:mother will be thrilled), it can be done.

I know some of you have children and it is harder when you must think about childcare. Why dont you go to the cwo?? Say this is my situation, i need help covering my childcare costs and the government have taken this amount of money from me and i cant cope. I know a single mum who gets the cwo to pay for her weekly childcare in a community creche because she is totaly on her own, cant afford it and needed a break from the child. They paid it for her, all the way up to being age 3, when places are then free.

Advertisement