Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭brianw25

Hi,

Just looking for advice....on someone that may have being in the following
    situation or how may be keen on knowing:

I have applied for a grant ( which i am totally relying on to pay my fees ). Low
    income levels etc. I have being in third level to do a LEVEL 6 programme in CIT but did "not"
    successfully complete the course and also got a grant for that course.

I'm now hoping on going for a LEVEL 8 programme at UCC ( completely different course - 4 years ). So, from that information, i hope i will be approved for my grant etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

@kukazhina, babyblessed and single mummy....... I too saw 4,000 knocked off my grant this year. The stress this summer has been unbelievable as I've 4 kids and haven't known what to do with regards been able to complete my final year of my science degree:(

I'm going to be in the lab working on a research project from 9-5 Mon to Friday so work is out of the question this year (even if there were jobs available)!!!

Thankfully my mum has loaned me the 4,000 which I will pay her back when I start work (I've more or less a graduate job lined up when I finish) otherwise I'd be well and truly fecked:mad:

I hope ye find a way guys, I really do

It's just terrible how the Govt has done this to us!!! Shame on them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Moon Indigo

I just got my letter today to say I have been approved for the grant. WOW! What a relief! I am delighted but also terrified how I am going to get by money wise. I am due to pay the 93 euro for student levy. That alone is killing me and not sure how I am going to sort it let alone a four year degree!

I have such admiration for those with kids/kid. It will be worth it in the end so just keep going.

Its actually disgusting what the goverment has done with regards to cuts and levy's and grants etc. I think when the budget comes and if and I feel its more a question of when, they further slash the budget something has to be done.

Its actually more worth your while staying on the dole financially. That's a sad reflection. The motivation to go further is just not there.

Hope everones studies are going great and all the best on the new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Add me to the list - down €4000, bloody disgraceful. Credit to anyone with kids who are able to manage, personally I don't but I'm still going to find it tough for my last two years. Very unfair to change the rules so severely on students midway through their course. At the very least another category should have been created in the adjacent/non-adjacent farce. A percentage of students will certainly be forced to leave their studies. A joke is all I can say...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

brianw25 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for advice....on someone that may have being in the following
    situation or how may be keen on knowing:

I have applied for a grant ( which i am totally relying on to pay my fees ). Low
    income levels etc. I have being in third level to do a LEVEL 6 programme in CIT but did "not"
    successfully complete the course and also got a grant for that course.

I'm now hoping on going for a LEVEL 8 programme at UCC ( completely different course - 4 years ). So, from that information, i hope i will be approved for my grant etc.....

How long did you do the level 6 for and when did you drop out?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just out of interest, what distinctions are made between undergrad and postgrad students?

kowloon wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what distinctions are made between undergrad and postgrad students?

in what way?

In terms of grants there isn't really except that a grant will pay upto 6270 fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How long did you do the level 6 for and when did you drop out?

Hey mango salsa, thanks for taking interest in my post.

The LEVEL 6 course was a full-time higher certificate - 2 years duration. *( but more like 18 months ). It's the SCIENCE course at CIT which is direct entry
    " good manufacturing practice and technology ". I lasted out the course and did the 2 years but only passed some modules (clearly the course wasn't for me). I only got a grant for 2nd year ( didn't apply for the grand in 1st year )and paid the reg fees for 1st year myself.

Now going back as a mature student ( hoping the grant be approved etc ) i will be a BTEA student. so, will only be applying for a " fee grant " due to change in rules AGAIN.

In closing i must say personally, that i find it absolutely criminal how people with very tight incomes can't go to college and get an education due to all these restrictions on fees etc. makes me sick to my stomach....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Add me to the list - down €4000, bloody disgraceful. Credit to anyone with kids who are able to manage, personally I don't but I'm still going to find it tough for my last two years. Very unfair to change the rules so severely on students midway through their course. At the very least another category should have been created in the adjacent/non-adjacent farce. A percentage of students will certainly be forced to leave their studies. A joke is all I can say...

Me too. I'm going in to 3rd year and I have no idea how I am going to manage. I would never have signed up for the degree if I hadn't been originally entitled to the 6600.

Has anyone applied for the student assistance fund in the past? I will be this year but I can't imagine they will be able to do much for me if loads of other ppl are effected too.

Me too. I'm going in to 3rd year and I have no idea how I am going to manage. I would never have signed up for the degree if I hadn't been originally entitled to the 6600.

Has anyone applied for the student assistance fund in the past? I will be this year but I can't imagine they will be able to do much for me if loads of other ppl are effected too.

So, you have to pay 6600e in tuition fees ?

Does anyone know if it comes to stage where you have to pay tuition fees, is there any help with it and flexibility etc....

• Advertisement

brianw25 wrote: »
    So, you have to pay 6600e in tuition fees ?

Does anyone know if it comes to stage where you have to pay tuition fees, is there any help with it and flexibility etc....

No, sorry that isn't what I meant. I still get free fees. In first year I got a grant of 6600 and second year it was around 6400. I got a letter about a week ago saying that my grant this year is 2445.

Thankfully, I still don't have to pay fees. I can't answer your question there I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sulu

Oh dear this thread makes for depressing reading. Am currently in limbo land waiting to hear if I will qualify for any grant. My masters starts next week. Have never been 'entitled' to one before for some reason or another, (though I have worked, I have never been loaded) and have come to the conclusion that the only way to qualify for any type of a grant as a mature student is to claim rent allowance and whatever else you can so that you have a chance of being approved. The bureacracy and red tape to this is beyond comprehension. Whilst the grant is paltry, those who do get the grant and their fees paid do need to remember that they are lucky to be getting some form of assistance, other people have to get themselves in debt! And that many other countries do not have free undergraduate courses for their citizens. The interest rates on loans are high and the chances of getting approval for a loan these days is slim to none and its only a matter of weeks before the Banks start banging on your door looking for repayments. I got a loan last year and I had to start paying it back after a couple of months in college. The pressure of this is astronomical. I need another loan this year and I don't think I will get one from the bank. There are no part time jobs out there to be got. I don't know what the government expects people to do. The whole grant scheme needs to be scrapped as it is completely inequitable. If there was a proper government loans scheme in place or a graduate tax I would be more than happy to do that, instead of expecting students to pay upfront registration fees and the like. All I want to do is do my Masters so that I have some kind of a future in this country with a career that I want. The course was quite competitive to get into and if I don't get the grant I will have to forfeit my place. Does anyone know when you can expect to hear if you have been approved?

Sulu wrote: »
    Whilst the grant is paltry, those who do get the grant and their fees paid do need to remember that they are lucky to be getting some form of assistance, other people have to get themselves in debt! And that many other countries do not have free undergraduate courses for their citizens.

I find what you are saying there a bit condescending to be honest and, given that you go on to concede how difficult it is to self fund through the banks or part time employment an unnecessary comment. I do agree that it is great to get some assistance but I don't think that it is fair that the grant has been cut so severely for some students who started their study with different qualifying criteria. To slash the payment by almost two thirds with no access to alternative arrangements (eg a loan scheme as you suggested) is awful for those people affected.

Anyway, if this is a new grant application you made, I think you will have to wait until the end of September or so before you hear anything and then you probably won't get money through until Christmas at least. The grant is usually split into 3 payments divided during the academic year. In first year, I got 2 installments at the end of January and the next one in April afair. Last year was quicker - I got my approval letter in August I think, first payment in November, second in January and third the end of March. Some councils are quicker than others though so you might be lucky. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

so what happens if you dont pay the registration fees. iam waiting till the vec contact me and the deadline for the college is the 16th sept for 2 grand and a penalty fine after that of 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sulu

I find what you are saying there a bit condescending to be honest and, given that you go on to concede how difficult it is to self fund through the banks or part time employment an unnecessary comment. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info re the waiting times, - as per being condesending I was merely trying to point out the inequities of the grant system, rather than meaning to sound condesending as you suggest. It is not just that some people leave college being thousands in debt and others are not because they have had their fees paid through the grant. It is not that those who get the grant paid are not deserving, I am just saying it should be equitable and more transparent and less bureacratic all round with broader qualification criteria or a complete reform of the system so that it is more inclusive and fair. As it stands it is completely inequitable and inefficient. If you don't get the grant and don't have rich parents then what are you supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ripo

Unfortunately the new rules mean that mature students dont automatically qualify for the non-adjacent rate and they have extended the distance to 45km... There is no appeal except that of the USI but Im not optimistice of their success... :mad:

I have been studying since 2008, in my final year, and the grant may be cut because i live within 45k to college. I have 2 children to look after.

An idea for some of you If they cut your rate ... you could just move out beyond 45k, (if you don't have children) and you will be entitled to the full amount again. (you should not have to do this), although if your studying in Dublin for example, it would be easy and you will save some money on rent and get an additional 4500 E. transport cost is an issue... but you should save money too!

If they cut my rate I will be leaving the country to complete my college degree elsewhere, as its very hard to get part time work for students in Ireland. employers only offer jobs to fully flexible people.

6.—(1) The enactments specified in column (2) of Schedule 1 are
    repealed.
    (2) A person attending a course who was, prior to the coming
    into operation of this section, awarded a grant to attend the course
    pursuant to—
    (a) the enactments referred to in subsection (1), or
    Pt.1 S.6
    Approved
    institution.
    [No. 4.] [2011.] Student Support Act 2011.
    (b) schemes administered by a vocational education committee whereby grants were provided to students to assist
    them in attending courses in higher or further education shall, subject to the terms of the enactments or schemes, continue to
    receive the grant concerned until the person has completed that
    course and he or she shall not apply for a grant other than the grant
    of which he or she is in receipt.
    (3) The enactments referred to in subsection (1) and schemes
    referred to in subsection (2)(b) shall continue in force and apply to
    grants made pursuant to those enactments and schemes before the
    coming into operation of this section to the same extent as if this Act
    had not been passed. reference link: http://www.cdvec.ie/uploads/File/Grants%20Information/SSAct_published_on_5_April_2011.pdf

This may indicate that students on non-Adjacent Grant before the new legislation came into effect on the 1 Feb 2010 me be able to maintain there current grant levels?

Scheme of grants
    Persons to whom the Scheme applies
    4. (1) This Scheme applies to students or tuition students who wish to apply
    for a grant in respect of attendance on an approved course, in an approved
    institution, in the academic year 2011/12, other than a person attending a course
    who was, prior to the coming into operation of section 6 of the Act and this
    Scheme, awarded a grant to attend their current course under a prior scheme reference: http://www.cdvec.ie/uploads/File/Grants%20Information/Student_Grant_Scheme_2011.pdf

Sorry Admin, i had to place the link for reference reasons, please remove if inappropriate - wanna make sure ppl on boards.ie are getting correct information

Okay everyone, unfortunately I have come in contact with really bad news which may even cause a significant amount of students (including my self) to drop out of college. I can confirm that the Grants have been reduced by over 75/80 percent... bitterly overnight !

http://www.usi.ie/images/usidocuments/budgetguide.pdf

That's my degree out of the window. only had one year left! i'll be signing on for welfare untill I find a job. either way my 3000 euro grant has been increased to 10,000! if i am unable to get a job. probably wont as I'm unqualified

ripo wrote: »
    Okay everyone, unfortunately I have come in contact with really bad news which may even cause a significant amount of students (including my self) to drop out of college. I can confirm that the Grants have been reduced by over 75/80 percent... bitterly overnight !

http://www.usi.ie/images/usidocuments/budgetguide.pdf

That's my degree out of the window. only had one year left! i'll be signing on for welfare untill I find a job. either way my 3000 euro grant has been increased to 10,000! if i am unable to get a job. probably wont as I'm unqualified

It's important to point out this cut is not for everyone. Some people will face smaller cuts. I know this is not consolation but I am just making that point

Terry Pratchet

An idea for some of you If they cut your rate ... you could just move out beyond 45k, (if you don't have children) and you will be entitled to the full amount again. (you should not have to do this), although if your studying in Dublin for example, it would be easy and you will save some money on rent and get an additional 4500 E. transport cost is an issue... but you should save money too!

I'm pretty sure that you have to have proof that you lived >45km away a well in advance of applying for the grant.

I've been told by a very good source that there is a court case coming up about this in early October and USI are optimistic about getting the cuts overturned for existing students.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that you have to have proof that you lived >45km away a well in advance of applying for the grant.

I've been told by a very good source that there is a court case coming up about this in early October and USI are optimistic about getting the cuts overturned for existing students.

I was reading in the VEC website, that a change in circumstances can be notified at any stage. This may allow students to gain the full amount if they relocate 45k out. I'll double check. Your right USI have taken the gov to the high court... http://www.usi.ie/component/content/article/1667-students-launch-high-court-challenge-against-savage-cuts-to-grants.html

On another note I emailed the CDVED in Dublin about Grants, and this is what they told me :

My letter

Dear [removed by ripo]

Thanks for your email. I'm just a little confused. Maybe you can clarify. Statutory Instruments [ S.I. No. 305] of Student Grant Scheme 201 - Part 2, section 4 (1) states that:

''This Scheme applies to students or tuition students who wish to apply
    institution, in the academic year 2011/12, other than a person attending a course
    Scheme, awarded a grant to attend their current course under a prior scheme''.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

I'm just wondering, does this mean that students who prior to the budget cuts in 2011 can continue there normal rate when they first started their course. For example, a student that has taken a 3/4 years degree in 2008/2009 can continue the normal grant under there agreement under the prior scheme?

Regards,

Reply from CDVEC

Dear [ripo],

No it doesn’t i’m afraid.

[Name removed by ripo]

I was reading in the VEC website, that a change in circumstances can be notified at any stage. This may allow students to gain the full amount if they relocate 45k out. I'll double check. Your right USI have taken the gov to the high court... http://www.usi.ie/component/content/article/1667-students-launch-high-court-challenge-against-savage-cuts-to-grants.html

On another note I emailed the CDVED in Dublin about Grants, and this is what they told me :

My letter

Dear [removed by ripo]

Thanks for your email. I'm just a little confused. Maybe you can clarify. Statutory Instruments [ S.I. No. 305] of Student Grant Scheme 201 - Part 2, section 4 (1) states that:

''This Scheme applies to students or tuition students who wish to apply
    Scheme, awarded a grant to attend their current course under a prior scheme''.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

I'm just wondering, does this mean that students who prior to the budget cuts in 2011 can continue there normal rate when they first started their course. For example, a student that has taken a 3/4 years degree in 2008/2009 can continue the normal grant under there agreement under the prior scheme?

Regards,

Reply from CDVEC

Dear [ripo],

No it doesn’t i’m afraid.

[Name removed by ripo]

This is how bad the grant changes has effected students. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/businessopportunities/2535611

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty distraught, just got told yesterday I won't be receiving any grant. I'm going into an add-on honours degree, first time doing a level 8, I hasnt received a grant for the first 3 years because I had sat level7 exams before, was told in first year I should get a grant in 4th year. Of course they've moved the goal posts and now I can't get one, even though I'm pretty sure this change was not highlighted on the website(?), another year scraping by on the student assistance fund. I really hate this contry sometimes :(

At least I didn't have to pay any tuition this time. Anyone know if I decide to a Masters the following year would I be eligible for a grant then?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty distraught, just got told yesterday I won't be receiving any grant. I'm going into an add-on honours degree, first time doing a level 8, I hasnt received a grant for the first 3 years because I had sat level7 exams before, was told in first year I should get a grant in 4th year. Of course they've moved the goal posts and now I can't get one, even though I'm pretty sure this change was not highlighted on the website(?), another year scraping by on the student assistance fund. I really hate this contry sometimes :(

At least I didn't have to pay any tuition this time. Anyone know if I decide to a Masters the following year would I be eligible for a grant then?[/QUOTE

As you have already learned, anyone who governs this country is a joke, and as you have already learned with the grants.... that they will probably fwd the goal posts by the time you do your masters! don't hold your breath.

To be honest, Its probably best migrating out of Ireland! at least you wont have to put up with all the crap, and inequality!

I Suggest everyone here writes to there local Councillor, minister, and or TD
    ALSO everone should contact there Students Union to see what they are doing about it! we need to organise protests through our colleges!

I did both so far.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm going meeting my local councillor today, we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

wishing you luck Mickeroo............ Wont hold my breath tho!

Keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

What can I expect to recieve...I'm a mature student,mother of two and I'm going to do the add-on level 8.
    I have recieved the full non-adjacent grant since 2008 and my fees paid.

Would anyone have any idea of what reducion I can expect?? :(

I'm really fretting now as I still haven't heard aything from the VEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

What can I expect to recieve...I'm a mature student,mother of two and I'm going to do the add-on level 8.
    I have recieved the full non-adjacent grant since 2008 and my fees paid.

Would anyone have any idea of what reducion I can expect?? :(

I'm really fretting now as I still haven't heard aything from the VEC.

Rachel, what course did you do and for how long? Also it depends on how far you live from your uni and your total family income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

I did a Level 7 ,three year business course and I live within the 45km distance which the gov has unfairly introduced:eek::(

also income is below 18,000

Advertisement