Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once Upon A Time (ABC) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

DeWitt wrote: »
    There's a line of dialogue that comes with some pretty heavy implications.

just saw it! my poor queen :( I don't think I want to see her in that kind of pain..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I have to say I'm only a casual viewer but I don't get the Regina love. She was pretty damn evil. And yes... she had a horrible upbringing but there's only so much that can excuse. And I don't think the writing on this show is good enough to do a good job of redeeming anyone. Same goes for Rumple. I really don't get the people that love him, or the people that love him and Belle, it's a pretty abusive relationship there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

That's fair. I always end up falling for these kind of broken down/emotionally closed off female characters though. Don't like a Rumple at all, and the slashing together of fairytales with Beauty and the Beast tickles me the wrong way.

Quite enjoyed tonight's episode, but I have a slight quibble, actually it's not even a quibble it's a pretty big retconning of Regina's character.
    So, why exactly did Regina cast the curse for her happy ending if she knew all along that her soulmate was living in the Enchanted Forest? It makes no sense.

Poor Mulan. Wonder where they'll go with this.

Didn't Regina say to Tinkerbell that she chose revenge over happiness because without her anger she had no power. That's in keeping with her character and in keeping with the spell she cast.

How good was Tinkerbell too? I love that they just let her be full on Australian Kiwi too. How come it's only the two Irish actors that have been made do weird English accents when everyone else gets to keep their own accents?

Oh, you're totally right. Don't know how that flew over my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Zombee

Just watched last weeks episode. Did anyone else get the feeling that
    Mulan was going to tell Aurora she loves her?

Ha! Yes. No feeling , she was going to tell her just that. And it's such bs on the part of the production team that they won't confirm it. Jane Espenson was asked straight up if that was the case and she said "the episode speaks for itself". God forbid we have a gay Disney princess.
    You should have seen the official Facebook page after it aired. "WHY IS MULAN GAY? THIS A FAMILY SHOW!" Yada yada yada.

What I got from the Aurora/Mulan thing was that it was left kind of ambiguous so you could see what ever it was you wanted to see.

It's possible she was going to speak to Philip but saw Aurora first and speaking to her made her realise that it was pointless telling Philip how she felt so she didn't bother.

It's also possible that she was indeed in love with Aurora.

I assumed it was ABC's attempt to give the people pining for SwanQueen a scrap because in the very same episode they introduced the idea that Robin Hood was Regina's "true love". You're not getting SwanQueen ever, so here's a maybe lesbian thing to keep you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Prefer the Mulan/Aurora pairing personally. :pac:

Maybe I didn't notice before but has Regina always had that scar on her lip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It was a badly written scene in general- i to doubt she would tell Aurora she was in love with her husband with a smile on her face but likewise it was not clear what mulan was going to say to Aurora. It's all just speculation, which leaves the whole thing family friendly. What a cop-out.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Prefer the Mulan/Aurora pairing personally. :pac:

Maybe I didn't notice before but has Regina always had that scar on her lip?

Yep, and the mole too. Make-up department throw more attention on each one depending which persona Regina is inhabiting in any given ep. You'll notice the mole is more prominent when she's EQ, but practically invisible when she's Mayor Mills.
    It was a badly written scene in general- i to doubt she would tell Aurora she was in love with her husband with a smile on her face but likewise it was not clear what mulan was going to say to Aurora. It's all just speculation, which leaves the whole thing family friendly. What a cop-out.

I'm looking forward to the official podcast. I really want to know what Adam and Eddy thoughts on it are. It's funny because Jamie Chung has pretty much confirmed the bi thing, even as far back as last year on her twitter account.

I want to believe that "Sleeping Warrior" was always the plan and not just something to appease "Swan Queen" shippers. I myself ship Swan Queen, but it has nothing to do with them both being women or gay representation. Saying that it's completely fanon, and I can never see the show going there with them.

DeWitt wrote: »
    Yep, and the mole too. Make-up department throw more attention on each one depending which persona Regina is inhabiting in any given ep. You'll notice the mole is more prominent when she's EQ, but practically invisible when she's Mayor Mills.

I just noticed the scar when she was talking to Rumple at the dinner table.

As for the Mulan/Aurora thing, I thought it was pretty obvious since she was clearly going back to confess her love to someone and when Aurora said Philip wasn't there Mulan said it was Aurora she wanted to talk to. She didn't say she wanted to talk to her first or as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I stoped watching season 2 around 18 I think it took a hiatus or something and I didnt have the interest to jump back on.

Sort of regretted it cause just catching up now and I found all the neverland stuff to be the most interesting things the show has done in a long time (yet to look at wonderland)

Though I am bias with the whole neverland story and peter pan as a villain because I'm a fan of the Fables comics which have an obvious parallel to Once Upon A Time.

This isnt spoilers for Fables because they didnt do this in the end due to copyright issues but originally the main villain of that series was going to be peter pan.

So having Once doing what Fables wanted to do is sort of a treat for me.

Though I'm curious how much extra disney is paying using the peter pan characters since when it screens in the UK they'll have to pay extra for the rights.

I saw a QI fact the other day that in the original version of Peter Pan he would kill the lost boys when they got too old. I guess at some point that got changed to nobody growing old in Neverland.

I find it funny sometimes that people seem to think Once is changing the characters massively from what they were originally but they're only familiar with the Disney versions which themselves were often very different from their original source material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Zombee

I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I'm dying to know how will Regina and Robin get to meet?! Also, I want Hook and Emma to get together, might liven her up a bit! :p

Zombee wrote: »
    I haven't watched the latest episode yet but I'm dying to know how will Regina and Robin get to meet?! Also, I want Hook and Emma to get together, might liven her up a bit! :p

I'm so confused about where everyone is though. Is Neverland in Fairy Tale Land but just off on an island? Or is it in a completely separate universe? Where is Robin Hood? Where were they when Neal used Robin Hood's kid to lure the most evil thing ever to come and get him?

I bet Hook and Emma will be just about to get together when they discover that BoreFire is still alive and on the island. BOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭D3sperado

I'm so confused about where everyone is though. Is Neverland in Fairy Tale Land but just off on an island? Or is it in a completely separate universe? Where is Robin Hood? Where were they when Neal used Robin Hood's kid to lure the most evil thing ever to come and get him?

Neverland is a separate universe to Fairy Tale land and the "real world" (i.e. Storybrooke). Neal was in Storybrooke and was sucked through a portal back to Fairy tale Land at the end of last season. That's where Robin Hood, Mulan and Aurora are at the moment, from there he had to hitch a ride with the shadow thing to get to Neverland and the others.

Neverland is a separate universe to Fairy Tale land and the "real world" (i.e. Storybrooke). Neal was in Storybrooke and was sucked through a portal back to Fairy tale Land at the end of last season. That's where Robin Hood, Mulan and Aurora are at the moment, from there he had to hitch a ride with the shadow thing to get to Neverland and the others.

Okay. But when Baelfire fell through the portal back when he was a child and ended up with the Darling's..... that was the real world.... right? And then he got taken to Neverland.... then escaped somehow back to the real world..... then back to FTL.... and now Neverland again.

And why is Neverland separate from FTL? If Robin Hood can exist in FTL why can't Peter Pan? Shouldn't Robin Hood exist in Sherwood Forrest Land... or possibly even the real world as I'm not sure if he was completely fictional....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Click here to spoiler a bit of what I think is next Sunday's episode.

I am really curious where the Regina/Robin thing is going. I love that guy who plays him (Sean Maguire, I think) and have a bit of a weird soft spot for Regina too, I can relate to mummy issues :o. And this may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, I didn't read it all but I also think the way Emma pretty much took Henry from her was well out of line, but it seems an adoptive parents' rights are not quite the same in Storybrooke.

Mulan having a thing for Aurora was confirmed by ABC I think. It makes no difference to me. I have read some awful remarks about it how LGBT is now being shoved down our throats, which is of course insane because how accurately are LGBT people's numbers being represented on TV really?:rolleyes:

Some other beef people had with it included:
    - Why is it always the warrior, the least feminine one who has to be gay/bi? Sort of agree that it's slightly stereotypical. But at least someone is.
    -It came out of the blue: Agree. I did not pick up on any lovey vibes from Mulan towards Aurora. Didn't see have a thing for Philip? It seemed a bit spur of the moment.

Looking forward to Monday, day off too so won't have to wait until the evening to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Okay. But when Baelfire fell through the portal back when he was a child and ended up with the Darling's..... that was the real world.... right? And then he got taken to Neverland.... then escaped somehow back to the real world..... then back to FTL.... and now Neverland again.

And why is Neverland separate from FTL? If Robin Hood can exist in FTL why can't Peter Pan? Shouldn't Robin Hood exist in Sherwood Forrest Land... or possibly even the real world as I'm not sure if he was completely fictional....

My understanding of Baelfire is:
    Son to Rumple in FTL.
    Went through the portal to the Darlings. Real World.
    Went with the Shadow but escapes by lighting a match. Ends up on Hooks ship. Neverland.
    Fights with Hook and leaves the ship. Peter Pan thinks he is the "truest believer". He isn't so is cast aside.

No more explanation.

Escaps Neverland back to the Real World (at some point which is not explained YET).

Robin Hood's story starts in Nottingham where he steals Rumples wand to cure his wife. Rumple is going to kill him but sees his wife is pregnant and why he took the wand so lets him go (by purposely missing with the arrow). The real world.

Robin then magically ends up in FTL with no explanation (that I am aware of). He helps Neal because Rumple was kind to him.

That is my understanding of both stories. I could be wrong tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think Robin hood originates in FTL. Rumpel after all meets him and the sheriff of Nottingham without travelling by magic anywhere. I do wonder if we'll see more of Mulan because she is now is in Robin Hood's gang. Either way I think that is the conclusion of the Mulan-aurora-Philip storyline.

^ Robin was also in FTL whenever Tinkerbell tried to get Regina to go meet the love of her life.... right?

I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things and there's a lot of stuff on this show that makes no sense but I don't get why Neverland and Wonderland are separate universes but all the other stories live in the one place? It's madness!!

But then there was the universe that Doctor Frankenstein (That's Franken-STEEN) came from.

I thought Baelfire came back to the Darlings? Or was it that he took the place of them when shadow came back and they never saw him again after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But then there was the universe that Doctor Frankenstein (That's Franken-STEEN) came from.

I thought Baelfire came back to the Darlings? Or was it that he took the place of them when shadow came back and they never saw him again after that?

There are loads of different worlds. Lots we have not seen yet.

Baelfire went through the portal and wandered the streets for a few months. Got adopted by the Darlings and went in place of one of them with the shadow (I think).
    I think Robin hood originates in FTL. Rumpel after all meets him and the sheriff of Nottingham without travelling by magic anywhere. I do wonder if we'll see more of Mulan because she is now is in Robin Hood's gang. Either way I think that is the conclusion of the Mulan-aurora-Philip storyline.

You are right. I somehow completely forgot about last weeks episode. Where Robin would of made Regina happy. That was clearly in FTL. Robin starts in FTL.

I would assume tho that the Robin Rumple meets is in the real world. I would find it odd if he was in FTL for his story as it is set in England. How Rumple got to him isn't really important. The bean shortage wasn't an issue back then (presumably)

bren2001 wrote: »
    I would assume tho that the Robin Rumple meets is in the real world. I would find it odd if he was in FTL for his story as it is set in England. How Rumple got to him isn't really important. The bean shortage wasn't an issue back then (presumably)

This is exactly my point. If Robin has always been in FTL.... then why do any of the other world's exist? Whether the character was based on fact or purely a work of fiction... he's not a fairytale, and if he is then why isn't Peter Pan?

Why am i trying to apply logic to any of this? :o

This is exactly my point. If Robin has always been in FTL.... then why do any of the other world's exist? Whether the character was based on fact or purely a work of fiction... he's not a fairytale, and if he is then why isn't Peter Pan?

Why am i trying to apply logic to any of this? :o

Sure if going to think that much about any of this, why did they even bother making this show when Disney already made Enchanted? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭D3sperado

Yep, he went through the portal and into Victorian London in the "real world" and ended up with the Darlings. From there he went to Neverland and stayed there for an unspecified period of time. He escaped somehow and came back to the "real world" where he met Emma.

If you start thinking about his age and how time works in each world relative to the other worlds though, logic will unravel pretty quickly. If time lasts the same in each of the worlds then that means he would have either spent decades in Neverland, or else he went to some other world where he didn't age between his time in Neverland and the real world. If time moves slower in Neverland than it does in the real world (a la Narnia) then there will be some serious issues when the gang eventually get Henry and head back to Storybrooke as everyone will have aged dramatically. Probably best not to dwell on it!

Fair point, no real logic behind why the showrunners would have Sherwood Forest as part of Fairy Tale land but not Neverland. The same is true for Wonderland, Oz, etc. I suppose. We know from the mad hatter's trip with Regina to Wonderland in the first season that there was a room of doors that led to different worlds and we've seen some of these so far (Wonderland, Fairy Tale Land, Neverland, Frankensteins B&W world) so i suppose they will just make up new worlds as and when the story needs it.

Why is everyone always so mean to Hook? What has he actually done to them? If they're just judging him off the story version of Hook surely they should know better than that. Okay, he stole the bean for about 5 minutes, and he turned on Emma and co. in FTL after Emma turned on him and left him on top of the bean stalk, but in the grand scheme of things, what has he ever done to make them think he's so bad?

Also, extremely hypocritical of them to allow Regina to be super evil when it's of benefit to their own cause.

Anyway... good episode, I thought. Nice little insight into why Hook became a pirate and hopefully David does have to stay on the island forever, he can stay there to raise Henry, and we'll never visit.

Oh, and was that Hugo from Home and Away playing Hook's brother? Are there any Australian's left in Australia these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wonder who is in the other cage, Wendy Darling or one of her brothers, Rufio, Smee. Hope it's someone interesting.

• Advertisement

Anyway... good episode, I thought. Nice little insight into why Hook became a pirate and hopefully David does have to stay on the island forever, he can stay there to raise Henry, and we'll never visit.

Haha, yes! Prayer circle, people.

Agreed. I really enjoyed this episode too. Loved all the little moments: Daddy Charming, Emma & Snow's Mommy & Me time, Lesbimommies co-operating, Charming/Hook bromancing, and Pan being the lil shiiit that he is.
    Didn't miss Neal or Rumple at all, but I do find myself longing for the old Storybrooke days.

Did you guys catch the promo for next week? Now I think it's pretty evident I love Lana but I'm not sure I'm prepared for the cringefest 3x06 will bring.

Advertisement