Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to refund ATM customers who forgot cash

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

liam1987 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what would happen if you only leave some of the money behind i.e. If you selected €150 and €150 came out but you only took €100 by accident and left a €50 note ther ??

How is that possible? Think I'll take 2 fifties, but leave one of them behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Does anyone know what would happen if you only leave some of the money behind i.e. If you selected €150 and €150 came out but you only took €100 by accident and left a €50 note ther ??

Yeah, you'd be €50 down.

How is that possible? Think I'll take 2 fifties, but leave one of them behind.
    Any money left behind is taken back by the machine, but as you say how do you only take some of the notes as the machine hands then to you as a bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Your account is refunded the full €150 even though you actually took €100 from the machine because the machine can't count the money withdrawn back into the machine. You do it several more times, the bank 'cops on' and you are put on administrative leave from the Garda Siochana. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

That is the method alleged in a recent court case as reported in the Irish Times.
    Det Supt Keane said the accused “manipulated the notes and took €150” and he left the €20 in the machine’s dispensing tray.
    “At that time the machine was unable to identify how much money was taken back into the machine. It is flagged as an extraordinary transaction and the full value is refunded to the account,” Det Keane said.

The 'at that time' is supposed to indicate to us that they are on the lookout for this activity nowadays I guess.

It isn't entirely absent-mindedness.
    On one occasion for myself, the dispensing rollers stopped turning too early; dragging the notes out from the machine would have likely torn the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Thread is from 2011. Locked for now, start a new thread in one of the Banking forums but the replies here are good enough responses, check your bank account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement