Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to refund ATM customers who forgot cash

Options
  • 17-05-2011 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Eh, this is kind of odd:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0516/aib.html

Why are people getting refunded for being dumb? I guess it's okay if the cash was immediately sucked back into the machine - but is this even possible to do, or did someone come along after them & take it?

And this statement:
    AIB says anti-fraud measures prevented them refunding the money before now as a previous policy required customers to contact the bank themselves if they did not take their cash from a machine. The bank could not contact the customer.
    So not only are they too dumb to take their cash, they're also too dumb to even realise at any stage & chase it up!

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How dumb is it to go to a ATM machine and then forget the money, honestly now how ****ing dumb?

You hardly go to the ATM for coffee or tea..

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

How ****ing drunk you mean?

I imagine it happens quite a bit on nights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'll admit to having done it once while grabbing money for lunch while at work when my mind was very much stuck on a problem back at the desk. Easily happens. And I didn't realise until the nice person behind me called me back, otherwise I'd probably have gone to the till and forgotten I'd been to the machine at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Weird question but do some people almost blurt out thank you when taking the cash from the atm, I have to consciously remind myself to say nothing, or am I lone nutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

A few years ago in Bray I was milliseconds away from grabbing a handful of cash someone had walked away from at an ATM. I didn't see the person who was at the ATM as they had left a while before....as they say it remains available for 30 seconds before being withheld.

I thought it was a gag being recorded being as drunk as I was....my reaction would have made for good TV anyway! :(:mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I'll admit to having done it once while grabbing money for lunch while at work when my mind was very much stuck on a problem back at the desk. Easily happens. And I didn't realise until the nice person behind me called me back, otherwise I'd probably have gone to the till and forgotten I'd been to the machine at all.

But let's say you HAD forgotten & the guy behind you just swiped the cash & walked off - who's fault would it be? Yours, or would you expect the bank to refund you, keeping in mind it's not their fault in any capacity?

It baffles me that "I forgot" is a sufficient enough excuse to get refunded hard cash.

Anyway - does it get sucked back into the machine though?? Because if it does, then my stance on this is different - if the bank recovered the cash, then obviously a refund is perfectly acceptable to issue. But if the cash was lost - why are there any refunds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But let's say you HAD forgotten & the guy behind you just swiped the cash & walked off - who's fault would it be? Yours, or would you expect the bank to refund you, keeping in mind it's not their fault in any capacity?

It baffles me that "I forgot" is a sufficient enough excuse to get refunded hard cash.
    Oh, I'm not saying for a minute that I'd hold the bank accountable - it was me that should have been paying attention. But I can see how easily you might walk away without it without needing to be a complete vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mauricmo wrote: »
    How ****ing drunk you mean?

I imagine it happens quite a bit on nights out.

Getting distracted by their phone or somebody passing by, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The bank would have a record of all the money that was retained by the ATMs and the accounts that were debited. Those are the people getting refunds.

The real scandal is that the bank has been holding on to the money, and earning interest on it, since 2003.

KilOit wrote: »
    Weird question but do some people almost blurt out thank you when taking the cash from the atm, I have to consciously remind myself to say nothing, or am I lone nutter

Its nice to be nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Anyway - does it get sucked back into the machine though?? Because if it does, then my stance on this is different - if the bank recovered the cash, then obviously a refund is perfectly acceptable to issue. But if the cash was lost - why are there any refunds?

i think the bank means if you walk away and leave the cash, and the cash gets sucked back in, they'll give you back the money that got sucked back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

I honestly cant see how a bank in this country can afford to return money to someone who "forgot" to take it wth them... its crrazy!!!!!

I did it once. Was getting out 100 euro. The macine offered out 2 50s. I pinched them and pulled, as you do. Only one came away in my hand but I didn't notice (easier than you might think, using an ATM becomes kind of an automatic process done without conscious input). Thankfully the girl using it after me came after me with my 50 quid. Very decent of her.

As for the OP, I imagine they only refund the cash if the machine takes it back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Do some ATMs put the cash out first and then you wait for the card? If so, then people might be just used to grabbing their card and they're done, so when they use another ATM that is not usual for them, they take their card and walk off?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I can understand it happening now and then but the huge amount of people doing it is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Gyalist wrote: »
    The bank would have a record of all the money that was retained by the ATMs and the accounts that were debited. Those are the people getting refunds.

If that's the case, then that's fine - the RTE article doesn't state that though - it makes it seem as if every moron who walked off is getting cash refunded, whether it was retained or not - and it doesn't even state that ATMs are capable of sucking cash back in - I never knew this (and I know tonnes of sh*t), and I doubt most people do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

swizzle123 wrote: »
    I honestly cant see how a bank in this country can afford to return money to someone who "forgot" to take it wth them... its crrazy!!!!!

It can easily happen, if the bank gets its money back (it gets sucked back in) why sholuldnt the refund it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

My cash got sucked back in before, I dropped my wallet as cash came out and I was too slow.
    I had to fight tooth and nail to get it back, and you know what, now I think of it I'm not even sure I did get it back in the end.
    I was passed from pillar to post, I was with Aib but I had used a ulster bank cashpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I want to try this out at some stage. What if I requested €100, two 50s came out of the machine, I hold onto one without moving it and wait until the machine sucks back in the money. It will only suck back in 50 but i'll have the other 50 in my hand. Will it definitely register €100 going back into the machine? Or is this just a stupid idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Jacksquat wrote: »
    I can understand it happening now and then but the huge amount of people doing it is crazy.

It's the waves from mobile phones and wifi man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

So, let me get this right, you go to an ATM with the purpose of getting cash, you type in your pin, select the amount that you want and then walk away.... ?

All these incidents happened pre recession times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Happened to me once, checked a balance, took out card, checked another balance, was annoyed at it, pressed in what I wanted, took the card and walked off. :P Luckily the person behind me in the queue wasn't a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, it gets sucked back into the machine. The bank will only be refunding the money for cases where the machine recovered the money.

NotExactly wrote: »
    I want to try this out at some stage. What if I requested €100, two 50s came out of the machine, I hold onto one without moving it and wait until the machine sucks back in the money. It will only suck back in 50 but i'll have the other 50 in my hand. Will it definitely register €100 going back into the machine? Or is this just a stupid idea?

Don't get into a fcucking each other over competition with the banks. They'll always win. Unless you're Sean Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Unless you're Sean Fitzpatrick.

I am Sean Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

i think the bank means if you walk away and leave the cash, and the cash gets sucked back in, they'll give you back the money that got sucked back in.
    Ah.. So they return you money you never took. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

NotExactly wrote: »

No, and I think that may even be one of the "anti-fraud measures" introduced that brought about this confusion. The fraud your post refers to has long been an urban myth - but with some truth to it I believe (ie that it was possible if you withdrew an amount with several notes and carefully took the middle notes, leaving the top and bottom not precisely in place). Some people I know in banks say it was impossible, others say there were cases of it happening. Anyway, the machines now specifically count the money as it is taken back and keeps it for the customer.

This whole notice from AIB is that over the past 7 years, 71,000 never bothered following it up with the bank (lots more did, and were refunded straight away). As per the notice, AIB is now taking it upon themselves to contact the customers to say the money is there waiting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

YFlyer wrote: »
    All these incidents happened pre recession times?

Pre-bailout times.

Now that it's other people's money, AIB are delighted to throw it away.

But before, when they were a capitalist bank making profits for their masters? Oh no, not then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

this thread is a good example of people not reading the thread and carrying on with a redundant post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement