Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to refund ATM customers who forgot cash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ATMs are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Shocking, truly shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I didn't know AIB operated a brothel. Clients so shocked by the ATM action, they left their cash behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Forgetting/leaving your cash behind in an ATM, is a bit like leaving a lovely new fresh pint of Guinness behind you in the bar. How da fcuk is it possible to forget!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My OH did it once at the AIB ATM in Dalkey a few years ago. It was during the day and he was stone cold sober. He just wasn't thinking and walked off. The ATM had sucked the money back in so it went back in to his account. They were actually really good about it.

He never did it again though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Happened to me once where I put my wallet back in my pocket then went to take it out again wondering what I was thinking and ATM sucked money back in on me.

I feel a bigger idiot now for assuming AIB's system would automatically refund the money to my account immediately if the machine took it back in and not wait 8 years to do it :P

At the time, it never even occurred to me that ATM's sucked money back in after a period of time if it wasn't taken by the user. Now I know better and ensure I take the money even if I have put my wallet back in my pocket and sort everything out afterwards so AIB never got anymore of my money for interest for free for 8 years after that one time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The money should be put into a fund that pays for abortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yakult wrote: »
    How dumb is it to go to a ATM machine and then forget the money, honestly now how ****ing dumb?

You hardly go to the ATM for coffee or tea..

Myself and the GF saw this at an ATM in the Louvre - walked up to use the atm, and there it was beeping at us with 20's sticking out of it.... after a few minutes it swallowed them back up.

Was wondering how the fcuk you'd manage that..

Meh, this happened me 2 months ago in Saigon... Machine spitted out the card first and I walked off. Money gone a minute later when I ran back.

Rang the Vietnamese Bank which was pointless.. Rang AIB and they said I have to call into a branch to fill in a form. I kept saying I was in Vietnam and wouldn't be home for years and I swear she must have been clinically retarded or never heard of the country cause all she kept saying was to call into the branch.

I just ended the phone call and accepted my 71euro loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Have to say it's never happened to me, and when I first heard about this I was thinking how the fcuk could anybody just forget to take their money, if they went to the atm specifically to get money out?
    What has happened to me a few times though, is going into a shop solely to buy phone credit, handing the person my money, receiving the change and then turning around to start walking out of the shop, only to be called back by the person who is still waiting for the machine to print, calling me back saying, "wait, you forgot your phone credit!"
    I now see it as something similar to this, just a slip of the mind that you would cop onto a few second later, only for some people maybe their money got sucked back in/stolen by a person by the time they realized what they had just done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Walked up to a bank machine recently and there was 150 quid hanging out. Only thing was there was a printed recidpt too. Went into the branch and handed it in. Prob would have just took it if there was no receipt. Girl in the bank couldn't believe i was returning it. Quite shocked actually

swizzle123 wrote: »
    I honestly cant see how a bank in this country can afford to return money to someone who "forgot" to take it wth them... its crrazy!!!!!

You're complaining because banks are doing something nice for their customers?

Oh, Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Happened to me at the ATM outside Tesco in Ballybrack. I went there at my lunch break and did everything at the ATM bar taking my money. Opened my wallet at the self serve till and realised I was missing the €40 I had just taken out. Went straight to customer service and 5 seconds into explaining what happened, the girl there interrupted me and said "how much was it?". Person after me at the ATM handed it in :o

It is just a simple slip of the mind. Everybody makes mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cartwheel

I had €41.04 in my bank account this morning from "AIB ATM REFUND".
    Vaguely remember leaving the money behind one night when I was loaded in college, suprised I've gotten it back. What's the €1.04 I wonder. Interest?

I'll wait for a letter from them explaining. But happy to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ATMs are ergonomically weird, the cash dispenser is often below the average persons eyeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's also that machines that give you your card before money, so people take the card and then forget about the money. It's happened to me when drunk but I did phone AIB and they said there was nothing they could do yet because it was an ulster bank machine so I'd have to wait until a report came from them. I got the money back a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I have to admit to having done this twice, although both were many years ago. Once was middle of the day and the lady behind me took the money, caught up to me and gave it to me, which was obviously very nice of her.

The second time I was extremely drunk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never done this but have
    a) had a mate hit zero a couple of times and Enter leaving me with my entire life's savings pouring out of the machine
    b) got short changed by the ATM
    c) been given really obvious forged notes by an ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

I think if you walk away without your money you shouldn't get it back! It dosen't make sense! And it might make you be more careful next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

tippniall wrote: »
    I think if you walk away without your money you shouldn't get it back! It dosen't make sense! And it might make you be more careful next time!

It gets sucked back into the machine. So what... the bank should get to keep it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

How dumb is it to go to a ATM machine and then forget the money, honestly now how ****ing dumb?

I've done it... Left 2 hundred smackers in the slot,rushing to get a spin in a car.
    That was years ago,can't remember exactly when. If I do get reimbursed I'm just gonna laugh myself silly.

I felt like a right pleb back then though,it wasn't as if I was flush either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Why is it since 2003?

What if this happened you in late 2001? :o

I did it in 2001, thought that the money never came out and AIB told me it came out after I walked away. I went to the AIB Branch at the time and they had no sympathy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

steve06 wrote: »
    It gets sucked back into the machine. So what... the bank should get to keep it?

I didnt think of it thought way, when I posted was thinking that the person behind you thought it was their lucky day! I apologize!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Apparently my OH got a letter sent to my parents house from AIB telling him he took money out of an ATM next to where he used to work at the end of 2007 and never got the money. They've put e21.43 in his account! That's like $45 NZD so it should get us a few drinks next time we go out :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got a letter last week saying that in 2003 I had left behind 40 at an ATM in limerick. I actually remember it happening, and ringing the bank IIRC.

So I'm getting a refund and 8 years of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Got my refund too for 40 left behind in Crumlin shopping centre in 2003. With the interest it comes to about €48. I was drinking industrially in those days. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

But I can see how easily you might walk away without it without needing to be a complete vegetable.
    I heard of a case in Cork where a corn on the cob walked away from the pass maching without collecting his corn. It's not uncommon, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 HisGreatness

Maybe somebody was intoxicated at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jay32

Love it, my statement shows:

AIB ATM Refund+ 666.94

I am think what where and when? but have no clue where i have left that kind of money behind, by looking at the amount it must have happen more then ones to me....

:D

//jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 liam1987

Does anyone know what would happen if you only leave some of the money behind i.e. If you selected €150 and €150 came out but you only took €100 by accident and left a €50 note ther ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement