Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your Survivalists

Options
  • 16-05-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Ginja Ninja started a thread like this a long time ago lets see if it works again this time.

Name: Paul McDonagh

Bio: Born on an airbase in Britain I travelled for the first 6 years of my life before being brought home to Ireland, I Study Architectural Technology in DIT Bolton Street and plan on Becoming a paramedic when I finish. I am a complete nerd but look after myself when it comes to fitness.

Useful Skills:
    I have been a member of the Irish red Cross for 8 years and have finished many courses. When it comes to medical knowledge I'll have a fair idea about whats wrong with ye :P

I am scout leader and have a fair knowledge about survival, making shelters, cathing my own food, make shift tools and whats edible and whats not in a forest or other areas in the country I'll probably find myself :P

I am a member of the reserve defence forces (but have not paraded in a long time) and have a large interest in weapons in general.... whether I find any during an outbreak is the real Question though

I have 7 years experience in martial arts training so close combat is no real problem for me, I just haven't been in a fight in so long I don't know how much will still stand to me :P

I play the alto saxophone, nothin like a bit of recreation to drown out the sound of moaning Zombies :P

(this thread is really for everyone to get know the other users like they do on other forums :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Hi Paul good idea.

Name: Emma
    Age 27

Born bread and buttered in Dublin, studying Irish at the mo with the hopes of becoming a mature student and studying primary school teaching. I have a three year old son.

Useful skills. I was a scout-cub leader-scout leader for 10+ years Have a good knowledge of first aid, great orienteering skills, fairly decent d.i.yer im quite good at repairing things so id be able to knock together a decent shelter or repair an existing one.

An excellent cook with a fair fitness level but im working on that and im planning on walking the Dublin city marathon this October and mayhaps running it next year or the year after.

Oh i also grow vegetables so i could start a garden in my eventual post apocalyptic compound home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

hah, i'm nowhere as interesting as that irl so i'm gonna fabricate some stuff, also not using my real name.

Noel DeGrassi

Place of Birth: A grassy Knoll near a book depository, Dallas.

Career(s) & Education: Multiple roles including but not limited to, Courier(pushbike), Welder (MiG&TiG, Spot), Labourer, Forklift Driver (counterbalance), Computer Hardware Technician, Basic Carpentry and Shopfitting (I said Fitting)

Education:Junior cert, various honours, failed music and art.
    Second level Education: Certified IT hardware tech.

Useful Skills: Ability to spot faults/flaws with mechanical and technical equipment. Repairing said equipment is another story.
    Can construct makeshift tools from everyday items, (just like McGyver!)
    Steady handed. Can be an excellent leader or authority figure, but choses not to. (I know how bigheaded this all sounds, but hey you cant say i'm wrong can you? lol)

Notes: Health issues: likely to be first eaten in zombie apocalypse, or given that one survives the initial outbreak, a month at most before succumbing to illness and eventual death.

**Liability!**

In the event of a zombie apocalypse and subsequent survival of, This person would either rough it out with family or if that was not possible, alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Name: Andrew 'Krom' McAndrewson
    [mostly not my real name. but i'm used to it by now.]

Bio: Dublin born, grew up in a quiet north-side suburb. not much to tell. work in an industrial estate 5 mins from where i live, you can find me there on z-day, its a zombie survivalist's dream.

Useful Skills:
    I'm now 10 years with the Red Cross [take that, Paul] and I've probably done all but the top level courses. keen interest in the organisations radio operations, training in on managing large radio nets etc for events; but haven't let my medical knowledge go to waste, although i'd attribute that to watching a lot of House MD. Also graduated as a map-maker-person. so i know sh!t about maps and GPS. as useful as that is...

I never did mechanical engineering but thanks to a childhood interest in all things mechanical i tend to know how stuff works. i could probably repair an old engine or generator, or at the least wire something up. None of that computer controlled sh!te. that said i'm pretty good at computers too.

I've played a bit of airsoft, but mostly i'm and internet gun nut [who isn't on here?] i could prolly strip a gun and point out what went wrong. but i'd defer it to anyone else who's done it before.

not much physically. worked a fair bit in warehouses so i can lift stuff. my background in Lego and of course Garry's Mod means i'd be handy at barricading. i'm also privvy to bouts of inventorial genius. could prolly fashion a makeshift weapon or two.

i used to play the trombone. maybe we could start a zombie survivors marching band!?

the tl;dr: i'd say i'd co-ordinate the survivor movement. not manage, just co-ordinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

It's nice to have one of these.I don't mind the lack of anonymity so here's me

Name; Alan Horan

Age; 19

Bio; 6 4" redhead[surprise!].I'm doing Animal Science in UCD and grew up on a farm so I'm handy at most things and know my agriculture.I used to be on the rugby team and spent about 2 years in love with parkour so I know how to move.

Stuff; I've a decent knowledge of a lot of things;building,fixing, machines of most types and have driven almost everything with wheels.I know for a fact I can cycle from college to home in less than two days at leisurely pace which is useful.
    I've scaled buildings before
    Last summer I set up and used a blacksmiths forge out of scrap,I know how to make tools and knives.
    I'm a pretty decent shot with a gun [upside of being a hick] and have hunted game for dinner before [skinning is easier than you'd think fyi]
    HUGE Ray mears fan
    Most important;serious nerd,read every book,played every game and RPG'd the sh*t out of th zombie apocolyps
    Also, according to people I know, great at leading a group of people and getting stuff done.

so there's me

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Good to have this :D Especially since zombie apocalypse is now trending on twitter :confused:

Name: D.Byrne

Bio: Shorty at 5ft 3"/4"(ish). Comes at an advantage, I'm quite nimble, handy for squeezing out of though situations. I have a range of knowledge on plants as I'm soon to study horticulture. Will help in finding which plant is edible in the undergrowth, forests and fields. Can lift stuff just under three times my weight, I like to keep myself fit. I'm an avid airsofter, going out to the fields when I can, and I don't mind getting dirty. From the above you've guessed I don't like to sit still for very long. In an apocalypse such as...lets say a zombie one, it's one key to survival.

Useful skills: I'm quite crafty at making modifications to objects quickly. Like to get things moving (i.e. people), motivating. Quick thinking, as in ideas and plans. Adaptive to new locations/scenery. Can work very well in a team or on my own, i like some sort of independence. Doesn't like large groups (over 6 people) [and smaller groups always work better together] I can last quite a while without food and sleep. On average I sleep around 4-5 hours(sometimes 6) each night, but I'm not an insomniac.

The bad bits: Will get pissed off if people don't comply or understand. Has Asthma, so I can't run for miles and miles. Will judge a book by its cover, first impressions count (so if you look dodgy I might steer clear of you....or kill you ;) ) Goes quiet for periods of time [thinking mainly]

That's me in a nut-shell. There is a lot more to me, all of this is just relevent to the big 'Z'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Name: Sounds like jme.

Bio: 5'8" 75kg. Have boxed for Dublin & Leinster so am very fit and may be able to decapatate a zobie with a right jab. Also could cover a lot of miles quickly on foot due to the amount I've jogged.

Useful Skills: Engineer. Great problem solving skills. Can make something usefull out of crap. Strong knowlege of electronics. Good cook. Have some close friends who are in the army, so I could get us access to barricks/wepons/shelter/food/protection etc. I can make anyone I meet in person laugh or at least smile. Its always good to keep your spirits up in a survival situation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

Name: You can call me S.

Bio: I'm 5'6", and while I'm not divulging my weight because I'm a lady, I am in shape and exercise and eat healthy. I live in the States, residing in the Pacific Northwest.

Useful Skills: I've had 4 years of martial arts training and received a black belt in Tang Soo Do, did some kickboxing for fun for a few months, and I've been the "dummy" for people to practice Jiu-Jitsu moves on. I also took a sword class and own a katana. I own a gun and can shoot okay (working on making that okay into a good). I've had CPR/first aid training, and blood doesn't make me faint. I'm a pretty good cook. I can sew. I can plant a vegetable/fruit garden and keep it alive. I'm a people person, so working with a team wouldn't be a problem...I can lead though in all honesty I prefer not to; I'd rather be the right hand gal to the leader. I pay attention and learn quickly, so anything I can't do yet, I believe I could do.

Oh, and I don't play an instrument, but I sing...so if I were in Ireland come Z-day, we could start a band. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

Name: well lets just stick with sonic

Bio: live on the outskirts of dublin. green belt in taekwon-do so pretty sure i can handle myself in close quarter combat. basic fire arm skills. would consider myself quite athletic.

Skills. would consider myself quite mobile. fit. and able to climb walls. quite interested in airsoft and have handled real firearms a good few times. would be aroung 6ft 1 so im able to reach things that would be on high shelves (useful when skavenging in tesco)

also, ive read all the books, played the games and seen the movies. i know what im doing and know how to stay safe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Name: Yis can call me Ads
    Bio: A dub living in Portlaoise, working in construction.
    Skills: I'm 6ft and fit (not as much as I used to be but can still hold my own) no formal martial arts training but 12 years playing GAA, Hurling and going nightclubbing in Dublin means I can handle myself very well :) Avid survivalist and very outdoorsy (roughing it doesn't bother me) can handle firearms from being in the fca/rdf and from clay shooting. Great at MacGyver-ing things out of everyday junk. Good with my hands and building stuff. Have a good knowledge of Electronics and computers (which are gonna be useless after z day really) Don't ask me to do much bar the bare minimum with an engine though. I'm a building site manager in work so I'm used to delegating things and taking charge. I never did parkour but I can move & climb very well and heights don't bother me. First aid trained aswell and I can drive everything :)
    Christ I sound big headed here :D

I formally submit my application to be leader of our survivor group and I expect all of you to sacrifice yourselves to save me. :D

adser53 wrote: »
    I formally submit my application to be leader of our survivor group and I expect all of you to sacrifice yourselves to save me. :D

Jaysis Ads, anotehr reason i'm gonna solo it :D haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Jaysis Ads, anotehr reason i'm gonna solo it :D haha
    I would too, I just need fodder in case I get into a pinch. Its always handy to have someone with you that you can shoot in the foot as you make your escape to slow the hungry divils down :p

good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

So after 9 people let us get to know them (including myself) I may have..... researched into us all to see what type of roles would most suit us :P
    I left leader ship out of it because.... well we're all hunters here, there WOULD be dispute between us.

anyway I gave us all two major roles, i didn't look at the names while I was scanning through the posts I just typed out what I thought sounded appropriate for each person, if you believe me to be wrong then I'm sorry, you can take it up with someone who cares slightly more :P

nah but really, it's just my summisation,
    enjoy and comment, if more people post I will update it and our.... clan..... of sorts, will grow.

Members so Far with roles attached:

1, Smiley Paul: scavenger/ medic
    2, Lady Pip: Horticulturist/ mechanic*
    3, Degrassinoel: Mechanic*/ Scout
    4, Kromdar: Medic/ administration
    5, Ginja Ninja: Mechanic*/ Horticulturalist
    6, DoBhrionn: Scout/ Scavenger
    7, Jme2010: Defence/ Administration
    8, Chasethislight: cook/ Scavenger
    9, Sonic: Scavenger/ scout
    9, Adser: scavenger/ Scout

Numbers of roles for each:

Scavenger: 5

Scout: 3

Defence: 1

Horticulturalist: 2

Cook: 1

Mechanic: 3

Administration: 2

Medic: 2

Notes:

I believe, while many positions above are very straightforward, there are thousands of ways each may be applied.

*Mechanic: where I have named a person a mechanic I do not mean engines and what not, I have taken from this anyone who has said to be handy with tools, shelter, defenses, electronics as well as other things.

Sorry if this post is in any way hurtful to anyone, I really didn't mean it that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

By assigning roles and putting thought into each survivor, that shows good organisational skills which are a must for a leader.

We would need somebody to take action and deligate tasks. Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Name: Peat Cass

Bio: On the road with work a lot, raised on the ghetto streets of Beaumont, now surviving in the wastelands of Malahide. Thug Life yall.

Useful Skills: Time served electrician. Handy with electrical/mechanical. Turn my hand to anything really.

Peat you're actually too hard for this forum :P
    I'm just round the corner in Killester

Smiley Paul: scavenger/ medic
    2. Lady Pip: Horticulturist/ mechanic*
    3. Degrassinoel: Mechanic*/ Scout
    4. Kromdar: Medic/ administration
    5. Ginja Ninja: Mechanic*/ Horticulturalist
    6. DoBhrionn: Scout/ Scavenger
    7. Jme2010: Defence/ Administration
    8. Chasethislight: cook/ Scavenger
    9. Sonic: Scavenger/ scout
    10. Adser: scavenger/ Scout
    11. Peatcass: Mechanic/ Scavenger

Scavenger: 6

Scout: 4

Defence: 1

Mechanic: 4

Notes:

I believe, while many positions above are very straightforward, there are thousands of ways each may be applied.

*Mechanic: where I have named a person a mechanic I do not mean engines and what not, I have taken from this anyone who has said to be handy with tools, shelter building, defenses, electronics as well as other things. basically these are our handymen, and in my opinion the back bone of a long survival

Sorry if this post is in any way hurtful to anyone, I really didn't mean it that way frown.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Name: Manic Moran

Bio: Born in San Francisco, CA. Raised in Belgium and Ireland. Leaving in Honours Maths, English, French, Chemistry, Physics, Applied Maths. Lower level Irish. (Took it for some daft reason even though it was optional for me) University College Dublin, Bachelor's of Business and Legal. Promptly put it to use by entering IT. Moved to the US in 2000.

Current occupation: US Army Special Forces Officer. (What? I'm not allowed to embellish? It's the Zombie Uprising, who's going to check?... OK. Fine. Armor Officer) Two combat tours, Iraq and Afghanistan. Also come well equipped with a number of firearms at home, mainly NATO compatible, and most familiar to Irish veterans. (FAL, AUG, Lee Enfield, Browning Hi-Power amongst others)
    Alternate occupation: IT Network Administrator.

Useful Skills:
    I can operate and generally maintain most any armoured vehicle one is likely to come across, and I'm not a bad shot either. Add the standard military training one would expect of a company commander (tactical and command/control). Not sure how useful a skill parachuting is, but I do have the badge saying I was stupid enough to do it five times.

Can pilot light aircraft, can speak French and American fairly fluently.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Name: Phill

Born in new york (lot of yanks here, whats all that about!).
    Work in IT (again, seems to be a lot of that!)

Used to be a boyscout, would be able to create shelters and make camp etc. Have done clay pidgeon shooting, used various shotguns, so probably would be able to use it adequately assuming I could lay my hands on one!
    Good at problem solving!

12. Manic Moran: Armorer/ Defence
    13. Phil: Defence/ Scavenger

Scavenger: 7

Defence: 3

Mechanic: 4

Armorer

Notes:

2. *Mechanic: where I have named a person a mechanic I do not mean engines and what not, I have taken from this anyone who has said to be handy with tools, shelter building, defenses, electronics as well as other things. basically these are our handymen, and in my opinion the back bone of a long survival

3. I was thinking we could actually use these bios in the stories, means that we have thicker characters already with built in pasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Name: DY

Bio'ish:
    Previous job experience is mainly in project management and instructional/training/teaching, in addition to video shooting/editing. Like Phil, I too was a boy scout, First Class, and spent a great deal of time outdoors - basic wilderness survival, etc.

Hunting small and large game, from rabbits/squirrels to deer/elk, is something I'm quite experienced with. My father is a licensed gun dealer, and has been for 30+ years, so I've had a great deal of hands on firearms experience - on the shooting range at least. Given the tools I can reload spent brass, though making gunpowder, etc is outside my skills.

Certified First Aid and CPR and a fair amount of strategic planning and mediation training.

Not the handiest person in the world but I get by. Physically fit, in terms of distance running.

Well versed in Singing and am proficient on the alto saxophone, percussion, and limited guitar work. Very experienced with bands and traveling on the road - I can spot load a van with equipment in no time flat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Right so, time to write a little bit about the Awesomeness that is Mahatma Coat

I'm a Wexican, and altho I've lived in Australia for a While I'm home now

I come from a farming and construction backround, I studied Computers in college but ultimatley ended up running a sawmill in Australia.

I am reasonably proficient with a rifle, I like fixing things ( mostly things I've managed to break:o) I also like making random stuff just for the hell of it, I made a battery once then to justify the hours of effort i put into it I made some lightbulbs.

I can make Explosives and Gunpowder, I can make my own Diesel, and recently I'vew been experimenting with different materials for Cloth.

also I have a field of spuds ;)

So, i know this will cause no end of drama.. but our group needs leadership.

We can all say we're gonna go do different things but there will ultimately need to be a leader or small council of leadership, even in a small group like this.. so who's it gonna be?

I'm ruling myself out as my skills and leadership capabilities would turn selfish and dictatorial.

Though it is nice to see i've been classed as a peon mechanic/scout SmileyPaul!!! :D

I'll just go grab my mop then.. Mechanics use mops right?

Just messing, but there is a valid point in there. Most of the zombie movies I've seen and Post Apoc type stories & films almost always have the protagonist as a nobody prior to the events that take place.
    Some of the greater heroes in any of these stories or films usually turn out to have been working in the most humble of professions with little or no experiance in survival.

12. Manic Moran: Armorer/ Defence
    13. Phil: Defence/ Scavenger
    14. DakotaYoda: Educator/ Armorer
    15. MahatmaCoat: Mechanic/ Horticulturist

Scavenger: 7

Defence: 3

Horticulturalist: 3

Mechanic: 5

Armorer: 2

Educator: 1

Notes:

2. *Mechanic: where I have named a person a mechanic I do not mean engines and what not, I have taken from this anyone who has said to be handy with tools, shelter building, defenses, electronics as well as other things. basically these are our handymen, and in my opinion the back bone of a long survival

3. I was thinking we could actually use these bios in the stories, means that we have thicker characters already with built in pasts?

4. The educator is a role given to hunters who I believe have a huge capacity of knowledge in many fields which will benifit the entire group, other roles may be held.

5. I don't believe leadership should be taken into consideration, especially if we are going to be using these characters in our stories (which are still our real personalities) I believe that every story with have a different protagonist and it's the authors choice at the end of the day who takes lead

ye didnt have to go to all that trouble lol :D

peatcass wrote: »
    Name: Peat Cass

Bio: On the road with work a lot, raised on the ghetto streets of Beaumont, now surviving in the wastelands of Malahide. Thug Life yall.

Useful Skills: Time served electrician. Handy with electrical/mechanical. Turn my hand to anything really.

I grew up in the shanty town of Artane myself. Word from the hood massive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

there's a surprising amount of north-east dubliners in here. hope we all know where we're going on z-day. giving that paul's going to be the impromptu leader, i guess it'll be st.pauls. i'll be up the road anyway. also would like to have my role changed to medic /comms [administration is a bit vague, and sounds like i'll be doing all the filing and office work on the day. course if ya can spare the electricity for my photocopier here...] :D

Kromdar wrote: »
    there's a surprising amount of north-east dubliners in here. hope we all know where we're going on z-day. giving that paul's going to be the impromptu leader, i guess it'll be st.pauls. i'll be up the road anyway. also would like to have my role changed to medic /comms [administration is a bit vague, and sounds like i'll be doing all the filing and office work on the day. course if ya can spare the electricity for my photocopier here...] :D

There really is we will be sorted on z day! St Pauls wouldn't be bad as a starting point:D

i went to school there back in the 90's, hate that place with a passion.. are the vincentians still housed up there?

i went to school there back in the 90's, hate that place with a passion.. are the vincentians still housed up there?

Whaaaaaaat?! I went to St. Pauls! and my brother went there in the 90's!
    I live in Killester :D

And yes, yes they are :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Reckon tesco clarehall would be a good choice. Plenty of supplies, and easily secured. If the glass can keep out the darndale heads, it will have no problem with z's.

Then handy access to the m50 or airport once all the initial panic has "died" down ;-)

I'm sure theres a youtube tutorial on how to fly a chopper/cesna

Advertisement