Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop the spread!!!

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Just back to the 'where fat goes on' point hit above - fat on the hips and thighs is healthier than it sitting on the gut. Not saying that having excess fat is good, but if you do put it on on the hips/thighs, then that's a better sign than it going straight to the gut.

Inb my family it goes to the gut, although I could do with it going onto the thighs if im honest, they need more!

You're right, thigh and ass fat is highly protective of diabetes. It may not look great but it isn't unhealthy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Basuco

@ merlie, you said, "My friend couldn't believe what he saw and read, he thought it was mad that someone could do this."

Well darling I guess it is a little shocking at first but it's a fact that waist size is a better indicator of health than Bmi. Therefore, it's not bad advertising at all but an important campaign which I hope will curb the obesity epidemic. Stop the Spead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shelbelle

as a nutritionist i think it is good that the issue of overweight and obesity is being raised. 66% of the irish population are in this category and the related health costs of associated health problems are costing the country millions of euro every year. however while the issue is being raised I dont think the campaign really gives encouragement to people on how to lose weight or provides any help or support systems to people who want to lose weight, so I think people will see the ad, it will remind them they are overweight and then they will do nothing about it! problem not solved. Meanwhile there are absolutely no jobs for nutrition graduates who could give practical advice and encouragement to people who want to lose weight....but that is another subject entirely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

they seemed very vauge about how take the measurement, surely it wouldnt have cost much (or anything at all) to say get someone from operation tranformation to demonstrate how to do it, my waist is where my belt is as far as im concerned, i might be an ididot for thinking that but it probably is the concensues, my waist is 35 inches, but im 15kg overweight, i have a gut sticking over it, but going by the ad i can still afford to put on another 2 inches,

most overweight people do just settle into a routine, i know id did for 3-4 years, now i find it hard to lose the bloody thing, multiple attempts at losing it, with summer coming in ill probably try another approach by seeking profession help, i find most community gyms not so good, so ill have to get someone that will actually asses me as me and not another person generating cashflow for the gym by paying annual membership and only going 30-40 times a year,

i remember hearing before that going by th BMI system that the entire irish rugby team are obese, which if true just shows how inaccuarte it is,

also it in the next week or two there will probably be an anorexia campaign launched,

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Embedding didn't work...

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAsD7SqmbQ&feature=player_embedded

They have a how to measure your waist ad =)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@ don ramo They do tell you how to measure. Its the measurement at your bellybutton, not where your belt may sit, which with a lot of overweight guys is on the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jaytuom

@ don ramo

"i remember hearing before that going by th BMI system that the entire irish rugby team are obese, which if true just shows how inaccuarte it is"

This is always used as the argument against standardised BMI/waist measurement. Someone who is healthy and fit and has a very high BMI (such as a professional rugby player) is usually monitored very carefully by nutrition and fitness experts and is well aware of the fact that those standard limits do not apply to them. The other 95% are overweight, and hiding behind the flaws in the BMI or waist measurement system doesn't change that.

The purpose of the ad is not to make obese people feel bad about themselves, it's to inform people that most of us are overweight – because a lot of people don't realise that they are (or don't want to think about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

As a sports coach, I welcome the initiative. I don't think enough is being done to highlight the growing problem of obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

plus most overweight/obese people are in denial and need to take more personal responsibility.

There is also the topic of pushing up health care costs due to the higher rates of e.g. cancer, heart disease, diabetes (all preventable) etc in people with excessive weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smiles302 wrote: »
    Embedding didn't work...

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAsD7SqmbQ&feature=player_embedded

They have a how to measure your waist ad =)
    Cool. Height is somewhere between 194cm and 205cm, so the width at the half way bellybutton is 115cm (45 inches).

At 252 pounds, my BMI is now 29.1, so overyweight, but not quite obese. A year ago I was 266 pounds, with a BMI of 30.7 which was obese. Meh. Gym at least once a week, cutting down on pizza to once every month or two, and slashing the amount of sweets I eat, it's slowly going the right direction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

This add made me angry the first few times I heard it on the radio over the weekend and then I realised why, I am exactly the type of person this campain is aimed at - I am over weight and basically need to start making changes before I become obese.
    In my opinion the web site is not that great, the info on boards is much better, but I hope it has given me the push to realise that a few pounds over weight today will be a few stone in no time if I don't make some changes.
    For me that's the point of this campaign and I hope it has inspired me to get healthy, although I have yet to measure my waist :(

HELM wrote: »
    This add made me angry the first few times I heard it on the radio over the weekend and then I realised why, I am exactly the type of person this campain is aimed at - I am over weight and basically need to start making changes before I become obese.
    In my opinion the web site is not that great, the info on boards is much better, but I hope it has given me the push to realise that a few pounds over weight today will be a few stone in no time if I don't make some changes.
    For me that's the point of this campaign and I hope it has inspired me to get healthy, although I have yet to measure my waist :(
    the info on boards is better because the people on here are not waiting 10 years to catch up with the latest research/info.

Congrats and hope more people like your good self get the much needed kick up the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Turns out my waist is about 4 inches away from where I thought it was all these years... and about 4 inches wider there too :o Bummer.... at least i know now though!!!

PS - was it just me who got that wrong, or do a lot of sources tell you that women should measure their waist as the narrowest part of the abdomen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

I think the ad is a bit misleading but I can see what they are trying to do but I can give you my experience with the tape measure.

It tells you to measure from your bellybutton which I did and it told me I was heading for obesity.
    Funny thing is I am only 7stone 10 and carry a small bit of weight on my tummy which I call my pot/ troll belly. I work out 4 days a week, walk alot rest of days and have a BMI of 20.5. I also fit into a size 8. I have what my nanny calls "good child bearing hips" which probably adds to the increased measurment.

Now only for I have sense and I could easily go now the route of an eating disorder but I know I am healthy my doc confirmed it. However with the increase in young girl and to some extent boys bordering or having esting disorders this new campign by safe food is going to lead to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Morning Ireland did a piece on this campaign this morning and had a spokesperson from bodywhys, the eating disorder association and also someone from the safefood organisation. The Bodywhys person said the campaign was too dark and the notion of something spreading like an infectious disease was making people feel stigmatized and also that they were sending the wrong message to overweight people with eating disorders by encouraging them to measure their waistline daily. The safefood person pointed out that they have never said to weigh yourself daily.

What do you think? I think its a good campaign, and being honest, I'd be in the target group myself.

Yes its a good campaign and we can all sit on the side line and think up ways to not offend people that need a kick in the butt or push people towards an eating disorder but the FACT of the matter is that ireland has one of the worst records of obesity/overweight in the world and there has been enough hand holding.

Look at the work Meme Roth is doing in america. Talks much sense and this is the way things are moving -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think the ad campaign is excellent. A lot of people think that overweight and obese are the same thing, they don't realise that overweight doesn't have to mean a belly hanging down to your knees! So a few overweight people may get insulted, boo hoo. Better insulted and enlightened than delusional and suffering from obesity related illnesses in years to come.

Do they recommend doing it first thing in the morning, like you would if you were weighing yourself? My belly can go in and out throughout the day depending on what I'm eating and drinking!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Transform wrote: »
    Yes its a good campaign and we can all sit on the side line and think up ways to not offend people that need a kick in the butt or push people towards an eating disorder but the FACT of the matter is that ireland has one of the worst records of obesity/overweight in the world and there has been enough hand holding.

Look at the work Meme Roth is doing in america. Talks much sense and this is the way things are moving -

I hate Meme Roth! She was born on the finish line and thinks she won a race. So now she feels justified in telling other people how to eat, and in criticising pretty much every overweight person in the public eye.

Although I agree with people needing to be made aware of what a healthy weight is, the tough love approach actually has a pretty crap reputation of doing anything good.

I was on a course recently to coach people how to make healthy lifestyle changes (whether it be eating healthier, moving more or quitting cigarettes) and a really good way to get people to never change is to lecture them or dictate what they should change without asking them.

As frustrating as the hand holding approach is, is does work an awful lot better than the 'Stop being such a fatty, fatty!' method.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

this is soo embarrassing but Im 5 foot weighing about 12stone and I measured my tummy last weekend after I saw the add and my waist is 38 :O... im starting to eat right and work out.. but im deffo obese!! eeeekkk!

the best approach is to deal with the type and nature of the client in front of you.

Of course the tough love approach does not work for everyone and possibly only works for some.

Meme says and does much more right than wrong and the same goes for this ad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jazblifta

The campaign is an absolute joke. First of all their implying that being overweight is contagious and secondly waist measurements should not be the same for all ages, sizes etc. I read on safefoods facebook page that a girls sister developed a eating disorder from the advertisment. It is oversimplified to the point were its dangerous.
    When i first heard the campaign i made a video response on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdb3sKVv5nA thats the link for my video. They are not actively helping anyone with this campaign and its ridiculous to think that a measuring tape can decipher whether you are overweight or not. I think it will contribute to eating disorders and depression. Anyway why should everyone have the same waist size? And we thought the fashion industry is bad....

are you out of your mind - there is a wealth of studies on adipose tissue distribution and disease. e.g. below - ---- but really you could spend a day pulling up similar results.

Can J Cardiol. 2007
    Oct;23 Suppl B:23B-31B.
    Hypertriglyceridemic waist: a useful screening phenotype in preventive cardiology?Lemieux I, Poirier P, Bergeron J, Alméras N, Lamarche B, Cantin B, Dagenais GR, Després JP.
    SourceHôpital Laval Research Centre, Quebec.

Erratum in
    Can J Cardiol. 2009 Mar;25(3):140.
    Abstract
    The worldwide increase in the prevalence and incidence of type 2 diabetes represents a tremendous challenge for the Canadian health care system, especially if we consider that this phenomenon may largely be explained by the epidemic of obesity. However, despite the well-recognized increased morbidity and mortality associated with an elevated body weight, there is now more and more evidence highlighting the importance of intra-abdominal adipose tissue (visceral adipose tissue) as the fat depot conveying the greatest risk of metabolic complications. In this regard, body fat distribution, especially visceral adipose tissue accumulation, has been found to be a key correlate of a cluster of diabetogenic, atherogenic, prothrombotic and inflammatory metabolic abnormalities now often referred to as the metabolic syndrome. This dysmetabolic profile is predictive of a substantially increased risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) even in the absence of hyperglycemia, elevated low-density lipoprotein cholesterol or hypertension. For instance, some features of the metabolic syndrome (hyperinsulinemia, elevated apolipoprotein B and small low-density lipoprotein particles--the so-called atherogenic metabolic triad) have been associated with a more than 20-fold increase in the risk of ischemic heart disease in middle-aged men enrolled in the Quebec Cardiovascular Study. This cluster of metabolic complications has also been found to be predictive of a substantially increased risk of CAD beyond the presence of traditional risk factors. These results emphasize the importance of taking into account in daily clinical practice the presence of metabolic complications associated with abdominal obesity together with traditional risk factors to properly evaluate the cardiovascular risk profile of patients. From a risk assessment standpoint, on the basis of additional work conducted by several groups, there is now evidence that the simultaneous presence of an elevated waist circumference and fasting triglyceride levels (a condition that has been described as hypertriglyceridemic waist) may represent a relevant first-step approach to identify a subgroup of individuals at higher risk of being carriers of the features of the metabolic syndrome. Moreover, a moderate weight loss in initially abdominally obese patients is associated with a selective mobilization of visceral adipose tissue, leading to improvements in the metabolic risk profile predictive of a reduced risk of CAD and type 2 diabetes. In conclusion, hypertriglyceridemic waist as a marker of visceral obesity and related metabolic abnormalities is a useful and practical clinical phenotype to screen persons at risk for CAD and type 2 diabetes.

================

I will take the pros over the cons regarding this and really people need to wise up when you have feckin' special bloody K doing a farrrrr better job of telling you about their shape up challenge - THEY should be the marketing brains behind this safe foods ad and it would have worked without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Jazblifta wrote: »
    The campaign is an absolute joke. First of all their implying that being overweight is contagious and secondly waist measurements should not be the same for all ages, sizes etc. I read on safefoods facebook page that a girls sister developed a eating disorder from the advertisment. It is oversimplified to the point were its dangerous.
    When i first heard the campaign i made a video response on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdb3sKVv5nA thats the link for my video. They are not actively helping anyone with this campaign and its ridiculous to think that a measuring tape can decipher whether you are overweight or not. I think it will contribute to eating disorders and depression. Anyway why should everyone have the same waist size? And we thought the fashion industry is bad....

She developed that eating disorder awful quick sure the campaign only started recently! sounds very unlikely to me...

beegirl wrote: »
    She developed that eating disorder awful quick sure the campaign only started recently! sounds very unlikely to me...
    Id like you to say that to the girl who wrote that on safefoods site and a month of barely eating seems like long enough to me because it has been about 5 weeks since they have released the campaign.

@ transform Ireland has a problem with obesity but safefood have done a terrible job at making campaign to overcome a problem like this. It is not positive in anyway shape or form. Most obese people eat out of feeling emotional and having a meassuring tape tell you your overweight is hardly suitable.

I have a perfectly heathly bmi and i even checked with my doctor to make sure whether i was overweight or not and he told me my weight and bmi are perfectly healthy and i am NOT overweight. As a young person i feel concerned for young women like me who are not necessarily overweight but are being told so by a piece of tape. And telling people that fat can spread is plain right ridiculous. Trying to put the fear of god in people is not going to help them lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

BMI is a crude measurement of weight over height squared and tells you nothing about body composition.

If this campaign wakes people up to the fact they are overweight then I'm all for it as most are in denial about it.

Being overweight/obese is a form of disordered eating too.

@ transform Ireland has a problem with obesity but safefood have done a terrible job at making campaign to overcome a problem like this. It is not positive in anyway shape or form. Most obese people eat out of feeling emotional and having a meassuring tape tell you your overweight is hardly suitable.

I have a perfectly heathly bmi and i even checked with my doctor to make sure whether i was overweight or not and he told me my weight and bmi are perfectly healthy and i am NOT overweight. As a young person i feel concerned for young women like me who are not necessarily overweight but are being told so by a piece of tape. And telling people that fat can spread is plain right ridiculous. Trying to put the fear of god in people is not going to help them lose weight.
    so what do you suggest and did you for one second read any of the positive research on abdominal obesity?

Yes the communication of the message could be better but you will never find a one best way

This ad is more depressing than anything its meant to encourage people to lose weight not remind them that there overweight and spreading fat fat to their friends and loved ones! Why should an 18 year old woman have the same waist measurement as a 50 year old woman http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/577150/?sc=mwhn this link proves with age your bone structure changes which is conflicting information alongside with having a healthy bmi but being overweight.

Genes and family history attribute to health problems such as diabetes and cancer, not everyone who is 32 or 37 inches will get such or disease nor be overweight.

The HSE should fund weight loss motivation groups, now that would be a good way of actually helping people who are overweight not hand out measuring tapes but that would be too costly. Most who are overweight dont have the motivation or the tools to help them lose weight.

Since when do people with food addictions lose weight by being told their fat by a piece of tape. They really need to have a more hands on approach rather that televising scare tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This ad is more depressing than anything its meant to encourage people to lose weight not remind them that there overweight and spreading fat fat to their friends and loved ones! Why should an 18 year old woman have the same waist measurement as a 50 year old woman http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/577150/?sc=mwhn this link proves with age your bone structure changes which is conflicting information alongside with having a healthy bmi but being overweight.

Genes and family history attribute to health problems such as diabetes and cancer, not everyone who is 32 or 37 inches will get such or disease nor be overweight.

The HSE should fund weight loss motivation groups, now that would be a good way of actually helping people who are overweight not hand out measuring tapes but that would be too costly. Most who are overweight dont have the motivation or the tools to help them lose weight.

Since when do people with food addictions lose weight by being told their fat by a piece of tape. They really need to have a more hands on approach rather that televising scare tactics.

I think all that information is quite hard to get into a one or two minute add and most people who are 32 or 37 are overweight, the idea is to get people concerned about it not to provide a solve all problems approach in an ad. I do agree with you in funding for motivation groups though, good point. I think its aimed at people not really concerned or not realising how bad that they are though.

• Advertisement

Thank you jam mac jam. I just disagree with the campaign because i think its misleading and I think it will cause eating disorders whether it being overeating or under-eating because of the vagueness of the advertisment.

People in Ireland are more vunerable than ever, depression and mental illnesses are on the rise due to the economic crisis and weather isnt helping either so what is telling 2 out of every 3 people their overweight going do? Its a negative advertisment and its not really helping anyone.

Ireland is spending so much money bailing out banks while bankers have helped ruin our economy and we can't even have a proper scheme to help those who urgently need to lose weight in the best way possible.

Advertisement