Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Didn't see that, apologies Kneecaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Anyone interested in setting up matches for the few months after release?

I know guys in galway doing a fight night for street fighter at some stage, said soul cal would be welcome. I have no qualms about bringring rig and screen for it.

Yep, I'll be on for a lot of SoulCalibur meets once 5 is out. I know a handful of others who are in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

yea really hope a casuals/tourny scene for SC5 develops

(already play one game with a pretty small scene but if a game has a block button instead of back im in :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ivy_promotional_ad.jpg

Stay classy Namco :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ivy_promotional_ad.jpg

That's disgraceful!

Wearing fur is so amoral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    *image*

Oh man this made me pre-order twice. GOTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

Wait, isn't Ivy supposed to be like 50 something in scv? It's almost impressive that they remain so perky at her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

wtfbenson wrote: »
    Wait, isn't Ivy supposed to be like 50 something in scv? It's almost impressive that they remain so perky at her age.

The Soul Edge prevented her from ageing to the best of my knowledge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

The Soul Edge prevented her from ageing to the best of my knowledge :)

Oh really? Man, why would anyone want to take it from her then? Seems like if she has it, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Aging in Soulcalibur :pac:

UBsmel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Don't tell me Viola is Amy

Even for the sake of the story that they are the same person, the fighting style for Viola is totally new. Can't wait to test her out, so much trap and mind game potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Gonna give this a go

Less go Pyrrha

Having seen most of the bottom row in action I've lost a lot of faith.

Seriously the game is clearly still a beta, this is exactly what I feared when I heard "end of January".

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Harada looks insane!. He fights with a mix of all the Mishimas styles, but mainly Devil Jin.

Hes a CPU only boss, you can use his fighting style in the CAS mode, but CAS characters are banned . Really wish they release a patch so hes playable in vs at the very least, that way he would be tournament viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So there's a sequel to the Go Big or Go Home ads.

Tis a wee bit NSFW, so click away: New SCV Advertisement Assets

Also, Jaxel from 8WayRun ran through a history of SC character bans and talks about what he thinks should be done with Devil Jin in SCV.
    (For those not aware, there is a Create a Character only fighting style based on Tekken's Devil Jin in SCV)
    http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-a-brief-history-of-banning.10035/

Synopsis: He recommends two tournament formats for a while: major events ban Devil Jin as currently he seems waaaaay over powered.
    However, it's generally idiotic to ban any character within days of the game's release, so he recommends that he still be selectable at minor events. This will allow him to be experimented with in a tournament format before dropping a full ban hammer without affecting the outcome of any tournaments that actually matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    Also, Jaxel from 8WayRun ran through a history of SC character bans and talks about what he thinks should be done with Devil Jin in SCV.
    (For those not aware, there is a Create a Character only fighting style based on Tekken's Devil Jin in SCV)
    http://8wayrun.com/threads/critical-edge-a-brief-history-of-banning.10035/

Synopsis: He recommends two tournament formats for a while: major events ban Devil Jin as currently he seems waaaaay over powered.
    However, it's generally idiotic to ban any character within days of the game's release, so he recommends that he still be selectable at minor events. This will allow him to be experimented with in a tournament format before dropping a full ban hammer without affecting the outcome of any tournaments that actually matter.

I would disagree with his decision.

From reading his own article, the fact that Devil Jin is only available as a move-set to custom characters, mean that TOs are going to have to agree on a standard "Devil Jin", that doesn't obscure moves with flowing clothes, and doesn't alter Hitboxes/Hurtboxes (which is possible if I've read the article correctly) by changing his body dimensions.

This seems to mean that there's going to have to be one SCV "tournament agreed" savefile, that TO's pass around, and have to check that people haven't altered.

Whether or not he's OP is kind a side issue to the fact he's a logistical nightmare. The fact he might be BOTH I think means he should be banned.

(The idea of custom chars at a tournament sounds kind of silly anyway)

This seems to mean that there's going to have to be one SCV "tournament agreed" savefile, that TO's pass around, and have to check that people haven't altered.

This is basically my exact issue with him too.

He mentions in the article that for SCIII they allowed CC characters in tournaments towards the end of the game's life (purely because the game was dying and they didn't care about tournament standards), so I assume that's why they're open to the idea of him at all.
    Unless they release a set Devil Jin character as DLC I can't see him ever being (and don't believe he ever should be) allowed in proper tournaments.

Sairus wrote: »
    Unless they release a set Devil Jin character as DLC I can't see him ever being (and don't believe he ever should be) allowed in proper tournaments.

I agree.

How can be judged AT ALL, when his values as a character aren't even constant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

He shouldn't be instantly banned, but will probably need to be if he has inconsistent hitboxes, which isn't definitely know yet afaik.

He shouldn't be instantly banned, but will probably need to be if he has inconsistent hitboxes, which isn't definitely know yet afaik.

Not sure if you read the article there dude, but he HAS got inconsistent hitboxes, because there is no actual Devil Jin character, there is only a Devil Jin moveset that can be applied to CUSTOM MADE characters.

That's pretty much the entire issue.

Don't think the hitbox issue is the main one to be honest. People are saying he is just over-powered fullstop. The character design issue is easily resolved as a standard build can be released for everyone to use.

Apparently the save files are locked in the release version of the game, so sharing the decided upon character design would be difficult. People would have to make the character to specification on each machine. Not likely to happen.

If that's the case, I'm guessing he's gonna just be straight up banned.

Yup banned.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Apparently the save files are locked in the release version of the game, so sharing the decided upon character design would be difficult.

I thought the files could be transferred between consoles? That 8Way run seems to think it's possible.
    He mentions that it takes about 5 hours to unlock everyone, so I really hope they're transferable anyway :/

Da Bounca wrote: »
    The character design issue is easily resolved as a standard build can be released for everyone to use.
    But who would decide upon this build? One person's opinion of a balanced Devil Jin custom could be wildly different from someone else's.

• Advertisement

I just think it's a completely pointless inclusion and it's only going to cause problems, but these designers never learn.

You want to play DJ there's already a game called Tekken where you can.

Advertisement