Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been ridiculed for your beliefs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Why would it be impolite to tell someone to inject themselves with something that the person says is harmless?

If I said to you that water is harmless, you would be within your rights to suggest to me that I get a water injection. If I chickened out of it for some reason, perhaps that might be seen as undermining my claims that it is harmless.
    Injecting yourself with water could cause an ambulism. I wouldn't advise it.

We all have viruses in our bodies. Ever get a cold sore? That's a virus lodged at the top of your spine. It's a relatively harmless virus but i wouldn't go injecting myself with it at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Injecting yourself with water could cause an ambulism. I wouldn't advise it.
    An ambulism? Is that something to do with walking? :)
    2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    We all have viruses in our bodies. Ever get a cold sore? That's a virus lodged at the top of your spine. It's a relatively harmless virus but i wouldn't go injecting myself with it at the same time.
    So is HIV harmless or not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

So is HIV harmless or not? :confused:
    According to Deusberg, no. It's not going to kill you just like cold sores aren't going to kill you. But cold sores are better than the medical establishment telling you you are going to die in about 20-25 years time and the only way you can slow it down is to take this extremely toxic pill (AZT) everyday till you do die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If anyone is ridiculed on this forum, please report the post.

As for this thread, please keep on topic and keep the discussions to occasions of ridicule that happened outside of this forum. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

jive wrote: »
    Most conspiracy theorists deserve to be ridiculed because their beliefs are based on erroneous facts that have been spouted by a chancer who wanted to make a quick buck on the internet. You like to believe your opinion holds more weight than another persons because they are just 'sheep' and you know the real truth but the reality of it is you are deluded and mislead.

What a statement.
    This is of course in your own opinion.
    We can't make people agree with us, we have to accept that others will take a different viewpoint, otherwise you'd spend your life taking offence.

When I see somebody come out with a statment like that highlighted above it does serve to make the person making the statement look like quite a judgemental person lacking somewhat in terms of tact.

Ridiculing people for their beliefs is wrong, plain and simple.

I for instance don't agree with religious beliefs of any kind. The fact that religious beliefs are to my mind highly illogical and the fact that people allow themsleves to be dicatated to by their religious leaders is from a neutral perspective tantamount to a form of insanity does not make me feel that all or any people with religious beliefs are deserving of ridicule.

I don't feel that anyone is deserving of ridicule.
    The world we live in is enriched by the diversity of beliefs and peoples all around us. It should be obvious to see ridiculing somebody for any reason which might cause offence is highly immoral and something to be avoided by those wishing to be part of an understanding, informed and inclusive society.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

nullzero wrote: »
    What a statement.
    We can't make people agree with us, we have to accept that others will take a different viewpoint, otherwise you'd spend your life taking offence.

When I see somebody come out with a statment like that highlighted above it does serve to make the person making the statement look like quite a judgemental person lacking somewhat in terms of tact.

I for instance don't agree with religious beliefs of any kind. The fact that religious beliefs are to my mind highly illogical and the fact that people allow themsleves to be dicatated to by their religious leaders is from a neutral perspective tantamount to a form of insanity does not make me feel that all or any people with religious beliefs are deserving of ridicule.

Do you enjoy south park?

Di0genes wrote: »
    Do you enjoy south park?

Am I missing the joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

What a statement.

The world we live in is enriched by the diversity of beliefs and peoples all around us. It should be obvious to see ridiculing somebody for any reason which might cause offence is highly immoral and something to be avoided by those wishing to be part of an understanding, informed and inclusive society.

I feel that people spouting known falsities are deserving of ridicule. If they have access to the information they should be able to find out what is factual and what is not. This forum and all conspiracy theorists I have come across is full of erroneous statements based on nothings from a few ill informed people searching for a story where there isn't one.

I don't believe in religion either, but I don't ridicule them. Religious people are brought up with religion and there is no changing them and there is no point in trying; each to their own. Conspiracy theorists, however, were not brought up to believe in conspiracies which for the most part are ridiculous and in this day and age people should know better.

This whole 9/11 was an inside job and all the rest of it are disrespectful to the families of the dead who have people on ground zero forcing dvds down their throats when they are mourning. 9/11 would have required a relatively large number of people to know about it to make it happen - people would willingly have had to have ended their lives to crash planes as well as taking the lives of others with them - how many immoral people are there? How can you trust that one of them wouldn't have squeeled? Not only that but all this took about the steel being able to handle this that and the other is ridiculous and has been disproven yet people still go on about Loose Change like it's gospel while preaching it to the families of the dead who don't deserve to be harassed in such a manner. At least religion serves a purpose to teach right and wrong - conspiracy theories achieve nothing and if anything do damage which is why I think that all bogus conspiracy theorists deserved to be ridiculed.

I don't know what I was infracted for above but I assume I've broken some more forum charter rules above somewhere because I was typing fairly fast. If there's something wrong with the post just edit that bit out I can't be arsed getting banned over this.

EDIT: here is a prime example from a poster above. "We all have viruses in our bodies. Ever get a cold sore? That's a virus lodged at the top of your spine. It's a relatively harmless virus but i wouldn't go injecting myself with it at the same time." - NO. This is false. A quick google would even show you this is false. You must be aware that you are actually lying? A cold sore is caused by human herpes virus 1 (or herpes simplex virus 1). It has 2 programs of gene expression - latent and lytic. Lytic = cold sore. Latent = becomes dormant and re-appears periodically giving you cold sores. "lodged in the top of your spine" LOL. It causes a lesion in the oro-facial region so what makes you think it's 'lodged in your spine'? :S

With regards to the post you made about HIV - it is a known fact that HIV progresses to AIDS. A fact. It can't be disputed because it is known. Constant production of CD4 cells over years and years trying to rid the body of HIV leads to a depletion in CD4 cells which becomes AIDS due to the exhaustion of the immune system.

It's **** like this that makes me have no time for conspiracy theorists. Half boiled arguments built on lies.

Am I missing the joke?

It's a simple question. Yes or No?

It's a simple question. Yes or No?

How is it relevant to this topic?
    Could you not PM me about it?

• Advertisement

How is it relevant to this topic?
    Could you not PM me about it?

It's a simple question do you are do not enjoy the comedy in south park?

I feel that people spouting known falsities are deserving of ridicule. If they have access to the information they should be able to find out what is factual and what is not. This forum and all conspiracy theorists I have come across is full of erroneous statements based on nothings from a few ill informed people searching for a story where there isn't one.

I don't believe in religion either, but I don't ridicule them. Religious people are brought up with religion and there is no changing them and there is no point in trying; each to their own. Conspiracy theorists, however, were not brought up to believe in conspiracies which for the most part are ridiculous and in this day and age people should know better.

This whole 9/11 was an inside job and all the rest of it are disrespectful to the families of the dead who have people on ground zero forcing dvds down their throats when they are mourning. 9/11 would have required a relatively large number of people to know about it to make it happen - people would willingly have had to have ended their lives to crash planes as well as taking the lives of others with them - how many immoral people are there? How can you trust that one of them wouldn't have squeeled? Not only that but all this took about the steel being able to handle this that and the other is ridiculous and has been disproven yet people still go on about Loose Change like it's gospel while preaching it to the families of the dead who don't deserve to be harassed in such a manner. At least religion serves a purpose to teach right and wrong - conspiracy theories achieve nothing and if anything do damage which is why I think that all bogus conspiracy theorists deserved to be ridiculed.

I don't know what I was infracted for above but I assume I've broken some more forum charter rules above somewhere because I was typing fairly fast. If there's something wrong with the post just edit that bit out I can't be arsed getting banned over this.

EDIT: here is a prime example from a poster above. "We all have viruses in our bodies. Ever get a cold sore? That's a virus lodged at the top of your spine. It's a relatively harmless virus but i wouldn't go injecting myself with it at the same time." - NO. This is false. A quick google would even show you this is false. You must be aware that you are actually lying? A cold sore is caused by human herpes virus 1 (or herpes simplex virus 1). It has 2 programs of gene expression - latent and lytic. Lytic = cold sore. Latent = becomes dormant and re-appears periodically giving you cold sores. "lodged in the top of your spine" LOL. It causes a lesion in the oro-facial region so what makes you think it's 'lodged in your spine'? :S

With regards to the post you made about HIV - it is a known fact that HIV progresses to AIDS. A fact. It can't be disputed because it is known. Constant production of CD4 cells over years and years trying to rid the body of HIV leads to a depletion in CD4 cells which becomes AIDS due to the exhaustion of the immune system.

It's **** like this that makes me have no time for conspiracy theorists. Half boiled arguments built on lies.

Talk about half boiled arguments.
    You're assuming anyone who has ever taken any interest in CT's defends them to the hilt.
    You also seem to believe that anyone who questions the truth of 9-11 is "forcing dvd's down the troaths" of family members of 9-11 victims.

You then go on to attempt to take some sort of moral high ground based upon the misconception outlined previously that anyone who questions 9-11 is in someway being inconsiderate towards the family members of 9-11 victims.

Lets get one thing straight, anyone who forces the family members of 9-11 victims to accpet their views on the 9-11 issue has got a major problem.
    Upsetting people in that way is wrong on so many levels and would not be something I would ever defend.

The fact that you think somebody should be ridiculed because of their beliefs is saddening.
    I drew a comparison between alternative beliefs and religion because although people are brought up with religion, when they reach adulthood and they're capable of rational thought, religion should be cast aside, however people on the whole tend to hold onto their religious beliefs because of conditioing and fear, something a rational person should not be restricted by.

If a person wants to believe in Fairies it's their decision.
    Just because they should know better or you don't like it doesn't mean they should be open to ridicule.

If you're going to feign interest in peoples feelings, surely you can see how it is morally wrong to ridicule someone for what they believe?

I think you will also find that I made no post about HIV, if this comment was not intended for me I would suggest you clarify yourself.

I don't think you should be unsure of why you were infracted.
    You came in and made a sweeping statement which directly insulted a lot of users of this forum, it's pretty simple wheh you break it down that way.

It's a simple question do you are do not enjoy the comedy in south park?

I'll answer you if you can tell me how relevant it is to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ah come on, how can you not figure out how he is going to mkae it relevent to the thread.

zuroph wrote: »
    ah come on, how can you not figure out how he is going to mkae it relevent to the thread.

I'm at a loss to be honest.

I'm at a loss to be honest.

do you watch south park?

do you watch south park?

Again I have no idea what that's got to do with this topic?

Did I say something that's a running joke in the show?

It has everything to do with the thread title.

I'll take that as a no then?

Im presuming he asked because it constantly mocks people for their beliefs, like a lot of comedy.

It has everything to do with the thread title.

I don't know what you're after.
    I've watched South Park, but I don't go out of my way to see it so I must have msised the reference.

• Advertisement

Talk about half boiled arguments.
    You're assuming anyone who has ever taken any interest in CT's defends them to the hilt.
    You also seem to believe that anyone who questions the truth of 9-11 is "forcing dvd's down the troaths" of family members of 9-11 victims.

You then go on to attempt to take some sort of moral high ground based upon the misconception outlined previously that anyone who questions 9-11 is in someway being inconsiderate towards the family members of 9-11 victims.

Lets get one thing straight, anyone who forces the family members of 9-11 victims to accpet their views on the 9-11 issue has got a major problem.
    Upsetting people in that way is wrong on so many levels and would not be something I would ever defend.

The fact that you think somebody should be ridiculed because of their beliefs is saddening.
    I drew a comparison between alternative beliefs and religion because although people are brought up with religion, when they reach adulthood and they're capable of rational thought, religion should be cast aside, however people on the whole tend to hold onto their religious beliefs because of conditioing and fear, something a rational person should not be restricted by.

If a person wnays to believe in Fairies it's their decision.
    Just because they should know better or you don't like it doesn't mean they should be open to ridicule.

If you're going to feign interest in peoples feelings, surely you can see how it is morally wrong to ridicule someone for what they believe?

I think you will also find that I made no post about HIV, if this comment was not intended for me I would suggest you clarify yourself.

I don't think you should be unsure of why you were infracted.
    You came in and made a sweeping statement which directly insulted a lot of users of this forum, it's pretty simple wheh you break it down that way.

Ok. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. If you spread the word of the 9/11 conspiracy and believe in the 9/11 conspiracy you are thereby lining the pockets of the people who then force DVDs down mourner's throats. Therefore, if you are supporting the conspiracy you are inadvertently supporting the inconsiderate acts of these theorists - who are just trying to make a bit of cash off of gullible conspiracy theorists who believe every little detail without question because it makes them feel that their opinion holds more weight than the next guy's opinion which is formed from watching 'mainstream media, man'.

I would like to rephrase my earlier statement that they should be ridiculed for their beliefs. Conspiracy theorists should be ridiculed for posing their beliefs upon others when they are erroneous beliefs.

"If a person wnays to believe in Fairies it's their decision." - that is ridicule right there so you are in fact, a hypocrite.

The post about HIV and HSV was obviously aimed at the poster who mentioned them, I apologise if you misunderstood.

The difference between conspiracy theories and religion is religion serves a purpous. Religion teaches right and wrong. Conspiracy theories do nothing but attempt to feed the ego of pseudo-intellectuals who believe they are 'in the know' and that other people are ignorant to the real happenings in this world.

As far as I'm aware there have been no conspiracy theories proved in recent history and I'm not surprised as for the most part they stem from people who are undereducated in that field and make the theories simply to make money off of the gullible. Feel free to refute this but if you can show me in the direction of a conspiracy theory about a large world event (such as Bin laden's death, 9/11 etc.) that has actually been proved to be correct I'd be very surprised.

I'll take that as a no then?

Im presuming he asked because it constantly mocks people for their beliefs, like a lot of comedy.

Oh right.
    So he was trying to make out that I would be a hypocrite if I said what I said and then admitted liking a certain cartoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

I believe you, 100%. But I don't think anyone here accused you of that, did they?

100% belief. Deadly :)

Oh right.
    So he was trying to make out that I would be a hypocrite if I said what I said and then admitted liking a certain cartoon?

seems like it.

Ok. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. If you spread the word of the 9/11 conspiracy and believe in the 9/11 conspiracy you are thereby lining the pockets of the people who then force DVDs down mourner's throats. Therefore, if you are supporting the conspiracy you are inadvertently supporting the inconsiderate acts of these theorists - who are just trying to make a bit of cash off of gullible conspiracy theorists who believe every little detail without question because it makes them feel that their opinion holds more weight than the next guy's opinion which is formed from watching 'mainstream media, man'.

I would like to rephrase my earlier statement that they should be ridiculed for their beliefs. Conspiracy theorists should be ridiculed for posing their beliefs upon others when they are erroneous beliefs.

"If a person wnays to believe in Fairies it's their decision." - that is ridicule right there so you are in fact, a hypocrite.

The post about HIV and HSV was obviously aimed at the poster who mentioned them, I apologise if you misunderstood.

The difference between conspiracy theories and religion is religion serves a purpous. Religion teaches right and wrong. Conspiracy theories do nothing but attempt to feed the ego of pseudo-intellectuals who believe they are 'in the know' and that other people are ignorant to the real happenings in this world.

As far as I'm aware there have been no conspiracy theories proved in recent history and I'm not surprised as for the most part they stem from people who are undereducated in that field and make the theories simply to make money off of the gullible. Feel free to refute this but if you can show me in the direction of a conspiracy theory about a large world event (such as Bin laden's death, 9/11 etc.) that has actually been proved to be correct I'd be very surprised.

This discussion is about peoples beliefs and their right to hold them.

How the hell am I a hypocrite for the fairies remark?
    I said you can have the right to believe something regardless of it being right or wrong. I can respect somebody's right to be wrong in their beliefs. Ridicluing somebody for believing something wrong is another story altogether.

You're making sweeping statements, assuming that anyone who's watched loose change is going out of their way to be insensitive to the families of 9-11 victims which is completely untrue.
    You cannot blame the many for the ill deeds of the few.

seems like it.

That seems kind of pathetic.

This discussion is about peoples beliefs and their right to hold them.

How the hell am I a hypocrite for the fairies remark?
    I said you can have the right to believe something regardless of it being right or wrong. I can respect somebody's right to be wrong in their beliefs. Ridicluing somebody for believing something wrong is another story altogether.

You're making sweeping statements, assuming that anyone who's watched loose change is going out of their way to be insensitive to the families of 9-11 victims which is completely untrue.
    You cannot blame the many for the ill deeds of the few.

Because it is a derogatory statement to make with regards to religion and could be considered ridicule.

You have the right to believe in anything, I agree. I have already said that those who spread lies deserve to be ridiculed and for the most part conspiracy theories are just that - lies. Show me one that isn't a lie.

I can blame people for supporting the people who commit those bad deeds financially by advertising their crap and giving them money by visiting their website.

That seems kind of pathetic.

Comedy and ridicule are important.

Believes should be able to stand up to mockery and laughter.

And furthermore no one should be so po faced that they should not be able to accept a degree of mockery and laughter.

Beliefs shoudl not be respected to the point that it is illegal and immoral to mock them.

I firmly belief that the church's authority in Ireland was kept in place by the inability to mock them.

Ridiculing beliefs is important.

Because it is a derogatory statement to make with regards to religion and could be considered ridicule.

You have the right to believe in anything, I agree. I have already said that those who spread lies deserve to be ridiculed and for the most part conspiracy theories are just that - lies. Show me one that isn't a lie.

I can blame people for supporting the people who commit those bad deeds financially by advertising their crap and giving them money by visiting their website.

How am I ridiculing people based on my comments about religion?
    I said I feel religion is a waste of time and I don't believe in it.
    I then said I would never ridicule somebody who chooses to believe in religion.
    There is a clear statement there telling the reader that I am not ridiculing people for their religious beliefs.
    If you think that there is some way that could be seen as ridicule then you should go back, read it again and pay attention this time before you get up on your high horse.

You're so desperate to be "right".
    You came here saying certain people deserve to be ridiculed.
    Then you try to accuse me of hypocrisy and in your last post your'e falsely stating that what wrote about religion could be viewed as ridicule which makes you a hypocrite seeing you're defending the right of people with religious views to be free from ridicule when you're more than happy to ridicule someone for believing in CT's.

• Advertisement

Comedy and ridicule are important.

Believes should be able to stand up to mockery and laughter.

And furthermore no one should be so po faced that they should not be able to accept a degree of mockery and laughter.

Beliefs shoudl not be respected to the point that it is illegal and immoral to mock them.

I firmly belief that the church's authority in Ireland was kept in place by the inability to mock them.

Ridiculing beliefs is important.

I agree with the above, and I never argued that people should be humourless and take offence at everything. Look back over my posts, pay attention and you'll see as much.

Your attempt to bait me was what I called pathetic.

Advertisement