Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been ridiculed for your beliefs?

Options
  • 08-05-2011 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

One of my closest friends mentioned in passing that he believed 9/11 was an inside job, straight away my other 3 friends ganged up on him calling him insane if he believes that sort of stuff and referring to Reptllians and Jim Corr. I said i believed it was too giving them some of the facts, they didn't even attempt to engage with it. Have you ever experienced this sort of reaction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Mentioned UFOs to a mate the other day, cue much laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Rds1989 wrote: »
    Have you ever experienced this sort of reaction?
    If you were one of the people who pointed out the property bubble between 2002-2007, you would already have been very familiar with this phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

One of my closest friends mentioned in passing that he believed 9/11 was an inside job, straight away my other 3 friends ganged up on him calling him insane if he believes that sort of stuff and referring to Reptllians and Jim Corr. I said i believed it was too giving them some of the facts, they didn't even attempt to engage with it. Have you ever experienced this sort of reaction?

All the time mate. I suppose the answer is just keep speaking what you believe to be the truth, even though that truth was probably implanted into you're skull; wirelessly from your parents skulls and their parents skulls, leading all the way up to the guys pulling the levers. And those guys have skulls too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Talk E wrote: »
    All the time mate. I suppose the answer is just keep speaking what you believe to be the truth, even though that truth was probably implanted into you're skull; wirelessly from your parents skulls and their parents skulls, leading all the way up to the guys pulling the levers. And those guys have skulls too.
    Skulduggery!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm not sure if I have solid beliefs in terms of CT's.
    I like to entertain ideas and I sometimes discuss them with people.
    I've met with oppossing arguments which is normal, but the only place I've ever been ridiculed about discussing CT topics in this forum if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Mentioned UFOs to a mate the other day, cue much laughter.

How can anyone argue against the existence of flying objects that may not be identifiable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

When i was 18 years old i got beaten up very badly because of my beliefs .
    I remember there were these lads they were all laughing at me , they picked up bricks and threw them at my head , i lost pints of blood that gushed out of my head , and nearly died that day .
    You should report anyone who ridicules your beliefs to the garda siochana .

espinolman wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I remember there were these lads they were all laughing at me , they picked up bricks and threw them at my head , i lost pints of blood that gushed out of my head , and nearly died that day .

That sounds terrible, did you bring it to the guards?

I don't think you should necessarily go to the police just for ridicule- it's not going to come to that kind of violence in most cases, it's not a crime in and of itself, and the gardaí will probably not be best pleased with you for taking up their time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

I remember there were these lads they were all laughing at me , they picked up bricks and threw them at my head , i lost pints of blood that gushed out of my head , and nearly died that day ..

Out of curiosity what beliefs where these?

You should report anyone who ridicules your beliefs to the garda siochana

epionolman you're vehemently anti nwo, and suspicious of the state so why would the police help you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Log on to corkskeptics.org and you will find the answers my friend

Why? :confused:

Because such people , who ridicule your beliefs are dangerous .

Di0genes wrote: »

epionolman you're vehemently anti nwo, and suspicious of the state so why would the police help you?

Do you think the nwo wants police !
    The thugs who ridicule your beleifs should be reported to the police so that if they kill you , the police will know who to investigate .

Because such people , who ridicule your beliefs are dangerous .
    Can you give me an example of anyone in Ireland who has been killed due to their beliefs in the last - say - 25 years?

I would say that people who ridicule your beliefs may be impolite (depending on their tone). I don't think that they are dangerous. In fact, it's usually the people who have the strange beliefs who are dangerous.

Do you think the nwo wants police !
    The thugs who ridicule your beleifs should be reported to the police so that if they kill you , the police will know who to investigate .

And these beliefs were?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭villabren

No, but my younger brother and his friend believed that theory after seeing that Loose Change film and I have to admit I did take the mickey a bit. We did talk it out in a civil manner as well mind you. Think they've changed their mind now

It really depends.

The JREF forum conspiracy theory forum is dedicated to discussing conspiracy theories. It has very strict rules on language, and civility.

However they have a monthly thread called the stundies where the silliest conspiracy theories of the month are mocked.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=208429

Is my favourite
    The snow is melting faster because of daylight savings time. There is the same amount of sunlight, but the extra hour of afternoon sun is warmer than the hour of morning sun. Go back to standard time and the melting will slow down and less flooding. Problem solved.

However they have a monthly thread called the stundies where the silliest conspiracy theories of the month are mocked.

That could be hurtful to the people who are being mocked .

That could be hurtful to the people who are being mocked .
    It could. But it must also be hurtful to be accused of being part of an evil conspiracy when you are not.

It could. But it must also be hurtful to be accused of being part of an evil conspiracy when you are not.

Yes it can be .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I get ribbed for being a Spurs fan

Yes it can be .
    So does this mean you will be slower to accuse people of taking part in conspiracies without very good evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

2wsxcde3 wrote: »

Ridicule? Point out the posters who are ridiculing you.

So does this mean you will be slower to accuse people of taking part in conspiracies without very good evidence?

Yes . And i will say again , i am not part of a conspiracy to take over the world .

That ridicule was a trickle that came with a torrent of polite facts and information explaining how wrong you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

That ridicule was a trickle that came with a torrent of polite facts and information explaining how wrong you are.
    I was told to go inject myself with HIV. It was hardly polite.

Yes . And i will say again , i am not part of a conspiracy to take over the world .
    I believe you, 100%. But I don't think anyone here accused you of that, did they?

I was told to go inject myself with HIV. It was hardly polite.
    Why would it be impolite to tell someone to inject themselves with something that the person says is harmless?

If I said to you that water is harmless, you would be within your rights to suggest to me that I get a water injection. If I chickened out of it for some reason, perhaps that might be seen as undermining my claims that it is harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Most conspiracy theorists deserve to be ridiculed because their beliefs are based on erroneous facts that have been spouted by a chancer who wanted to make a quick buck on the internet. You like to believe your opinion holds more weight than another persons because they are just 'sheep' and you know the real truth but the reality of it is you are deluded and mislead.

Advertisement