Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor's Disgraceful Customer service.

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone else has had any bad experiences with Meteor but I have found them to be awful!:mad: I've been with Vodafone and currently O2 and Meteor are by far the worst!

You see I accidently topped up €20 meteor credit online instead of O2. I gave them a bank statement as proof of purchase and they said I was entitled to a refund. All very polite and friendly but with no substance behind their words! I have written 2 letters of complaint, 4 e-mails and had 8 calls. Each time they reassure me that I will be refunded in 10 working days. All lies!! What more can I do??

I know €20 euro isn't much but it's the principle that matters. It's my money why should they keep it?

I've never come across a company with such inconsistency in following through on their promises.

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Thats very bad form :O you should get your money back for that, it was obviously an accident like!

But yes i have had awful experiences with meteor aswell, i was on the free texts to any network plan for a while but i wanted to switch to free calls and free texts so i rang up and they switched me over to it and told me to top up by 20 euro and i would be on the new plan? and do u think i was? NO!

I rang back and told them i was still on the old plan and they said it was coming up on their records that i was on the new plan and to top up again? another 20 euro!! They were just trying to get me to spend more money!

Anyway long story short it went on for three months, me topping up by 20 euro and still be on the wrong even after numerous phone calls of how it was such disgraceful service. Eventually after three months they switched me to the right plan!

I still hold the belief that i am owed 60 euro by them :P haha! I mean i was paying for a service i wasnt recieving so really i should have got my money back :D never did tho!! i feel your pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how long ago was it you made the mistake?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lillydee, how long has it been? you've given no notice of the kind of timeframe between your mistake, contacting them, how long you've waited since they said they'd give you a refund [something I find odd since credit is rarely refunded], your various methods of complaint etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

I had the same experience recently with a broken phone and it took a Small Claims action to get a meaningful response from them. I eventually got my €190 back, even though it took 4 months. Don't let them away with it, they benefit from your frustration and are likely to be hoping you'll quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I've found them decent enough, though I did end up switching back to O2 (more to do with other people I know being on O2). The guys in store were very helpful, but tbh I didn't have much dealings with them other than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think I can beat this.... (Mods: Feel free to PM if you need to verify any of this with me)

Just over 12 months ago I moved my 2 accounts onto Meteor's top rate "free any network calls and texts" package at €85 per month (each) as an existing customer. I also bought 2 HTC Desire phones over the next few months as upgrades.

For the next 7/8 months, every other month there was a problem with the Direct Debit - either they didn't take it when they were meant to, didn't take the correct amount, or made some other mistake - but in each case the first I knew of it is when I went to make a call and was directed to their Credit Control department because they'd locked out the account automatically for non-payment.

In each instance I then spent upwards of 20-30 minutes arguing with a Customer Care agent (as Meteor will NOT let you escalate unless you really push them) before getting a team lead who of course was very apologetic for the mistake, promised to rectify it and offered credit on the account in compensation.

This all came to a head when the accounts were again locked out - this time for having about €400 worth of credit on them! - and again no one could explain why! Having worked in Callcentres for years in the past myself and knowing how they work, I finally escalated to a Centre manager who was able, finally, to address the problems....

Until 2 months ago... when the bills arrived 2 working days before the Direct Debits were due to be taken. I let it go the first month, figuring post can be delayed (even though everything else in the post arrives on time), but when it happened again last month I decided to call them.

Of course the Centre Manager I'd previously dealt with had since left so again I spent another week, at least 90 mins per day, not getting promised callbacks, and arguing and escalating between Meteor's agents and team leads before I finally got to the former Manager's replacement

Unfortunately unlike her predecessor, she was of no help. Her attitude was that as far as they could see the bills were being dispatched on time, but I could check them online anyway - in effect then putting the onus back on me and making me pay (albeit a tiny amount) for the internet access/subscription to do so.

Disgusted I told her to cancel the Direct Debits and I'd pay them myself through BillPay.ie (more inconvenience to me but better than letting Meteor continue to have access to my bank accounts) and I requested that she release me from both contracts - which only have 5/6 months left on them - as compensation and I'd see how we got on for a few months...

While she said she'd dealt with the first part, she agreed to talk to Credit Control about the contracts so I went and paid the bills on BillPay as agreed - only for them to then take the money (just under €200 in total between both accounts) out by Direct Debits anyway!

Despite several more calls, formal emails/letters of complaint to their Customer Complaints department, and getting Comreg involved (who ultimately have no real authority except to ensure the company looks at the complaint), it still took them 13 days to refund my money to me (money I needed for my rent as it happened) - and then they offered me 2 months credit on the accounts but no, they wouldn't be releasing the contracts.

So after another email to ComReg, eircom themselves got involved but it turns out (today) they have no influence either as Meteor's offer for the "regretful" experience stands.

I'm disgusted... I've replied back to say that forcing a customer to spend hours on the phone over several weeks arguing with staff in order to resolve issues that were caused by Meteor itself, whie leaving me the customer out of pocket and massively inconvenienced while they sort it out is beyond "regretful", it is a disgrace and a shocking indictment of how this company views its customers and its obligations under the contract it is so stubbornly and arrogantly (given the circumstances) clinging to in this instance!

I've said that rather than waste any more of my time with this, I will accept this ridiculously inadequate offer of 2 month's credit to both of my accounts if only to reduce the money Meteor will get from me over next 5 months and then I will pull both accounts on the same day that contract expires and take my business to one of its (many) competitors.

Furthermore I've pointed out that for the sake of €425 (€85 per month over five months - which is what's left on the contracts) and a genuine effort to win back my business and confidence, Meteor has now ensured that it will not be getting another €1020-€1530 from me over the next 12-18 months plus the cost of a new handset (and I generally buy higher-end models like my current HTC Desire HD).

As I have 2 accounts of course, these numbers can be doubled but at this point I am so frustrated and disappointed with this company's attitude to these problems (which it caused!) that I would almost happily pay more to another company, if only so I don't have to deal with Meteor's unique and disgraceful take on "customer care" any further.

It has also ensured that I will never be able to use or recommend them in the future in either a private or professional/business capacity (as among other things, I do the purchasing for my company's IT department). It also makes me question eircom's ability to influence a company it owns in a manner that would effectively and satisfactorily address these problems.

So be warned!! Meteor may have good products and pricing, but if anything goes wrong be prepared for weeks of frustration, delays and having to really push agents, team leads and even senior management to even look into it for you!

Me I've asked for the dates the contracts expire and I'll be cancelling both on that same day! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Lillydee

God that is awful! my experience completely pales in comparison to yours Kaiser2000! The most frustrating thing is the lack of communication in the company. Each time you have to deal with someone new, each time you have to waist time and money explaining your case! Each time they give you an empty promise to fob you off.

My problem started in February. Every time I deal with them they say it will be refunded in 10 days. I usually wait over 2 weeks to give them a chance to put the refund through before going back to them. I know it's very little money but it's the principle, it's a recession, I'm broke and I'm not going to let it go! I've started communicating just via e-mail now as it's far cheaper and it gives me a written record of everything.

What's the best way to get them to escalate the complaint?

Lillydee wrote: »
    God that is awful! my experience completely pales in comparison to yours Kaiser2000! The most frustrating thing is the lack of communication in the company. Each time you have to deal with someone new, each time you have to waist time and money explaining your case! Each time they give you an empty promise to fob you off.

My problem started in February. Every time I deal with them they say it will be refunded in 10 days. I usually wait over 2 weeks to give them a chance to put the refund through before going back to them. I know it's very little money but it's the principle, it's a recession, I'm broke and I'm not going to let it go! I've started communicating just via e-mail now as it's far cheaper and it gives me a written record of everything.

What's the best way to get them to escalate the complaint?
    Call Comreg (www.comreg.ie), explain the situation to them and get them to issue a Case Number. Then ring Meteor back, tell them you've now raised this with the regulator and give them the same Case Number and tell them to add it to the notes they have on file.

Then wait 10 working days. If still no resolution by then, call Comreg back and they will intervene for you which will probably prompt some action but again Comreg can only ensure they deal with the complaint - how they deal with it or what they offer is up to the company itself (in other words, ComReg have no teeth, and the Financial Regulator won't want to know either as.. it's Comreg's remit :confused: :mad:)

Hope you get more satisfaction than I did

Such hassle over such a simple problem! It's hard to know if it's worth it all :confused: but I don't want them to get away with it. Thanks guys for your replies :) , at least I know I'm not the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nala65

Jeez and I thought I was the only one - I have been having ongoing problems with them since last year and am still trying to claim back €200 they owe me from SEPTEMBER!!!!! I have had about 30 phone calls with them and as someone said above its all politeness with no actual substance. It's ridiculous. They just pass the blame onto someone else all the time. I have been on to the National Consumer Agency who have told me Meteor need to step up, but still no joy with them - whether they blame the bank or pass the responsibility on to other departments - dealing with them is always extremely frustrating and nothing is ever resolved.

Unfortunately I'm tied into a contract with them but when it's over I will never be choosing Meteor again. :mad:

• Advertisement

I can't believe the extent of the problems with Meteor and it is just the tip of the iceberg! It's not right that they get to keep money that doesn't belong to them, it amounts to a form of theft really! Is that how they make their profit in a recession? Wouldn't it be great if they were exposed on the Consumer Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chi Force

Actually a journalist from the Consumer Show contacted me through Boards about my problems with Meteor but I didn't check my inbox for a while and by the time I got back to him it was obviously too late. At least we know they're keeping an eye on things I guess! ;)

Well just to update on my issue with them..

Unsurprisingly eircom merely acknowledged my last reponse on this matter and confirmed that Meteor's offer of credit will be applied and gave me the contract expiration dates as I'd asked - but did not comment any further on the points I raised in my email to him, save to say he'd passed it on to Meteor's senior management :rolleyes:

ComReg then called me this morning to ask if I'd heard anything back from eircom/Meteor and after bringing them up to speed basically told me what I already knew - they cannot intervene any further and as such my only options would be to take it further myself.

So my last written reply to them (ComReg) is as follows:
    Good morning,

Further to my conversation with your colleague <name removed> today, please see below the follow-up from eircom/Meteor regarding this case.

As you will see in my last reply I am not at all satisfied with their offer, but given my only alternative would be to engage legal advice and proceedings (at more time and expense to myself), I have reluctantly accepted it if only to reduce the amount of money this company will extract from me until these contracts expire at which point I will move both accounts elsewhere.

As I expressed to <name removed>, I am also very disappointed that the options above are the only ones open to me - that ComReg (as the Industry regulator) has no authority to step in and review the case and make its own binding recommendations - but I also realise that this is a legislative shortfall (one of many in this country) rather than a fault of ComReg itself, however I think it frankly ridiculous that in a situation such as this, where Meteor was at fault in each instance (and acknowledged same) that they can then be left to review it themselves and decide what (if anything) to offer a customer.

So, no I am not at all happy with the outcome of these issues, but as it's the case that unless I'm personally prepared to devote even more time and effort that I l already have, taking it further myself is unfortunately not feasible at this point, and again I wish to highlight my frustration that the organisation charged with oversight of this industry (yourselves) seems to have no more influence in this instance than I do as a (unwilling at this point) customer of this company.

Regards,

I'm still extremely pissed off that a company can be allowed to conduct itself in a manner like this and that there appears to be no accountability to the supposed Regulator of the industry, and that that same Regulator has no authority to step in, review the case, and make its own binding recommendations for a resolution.

It seems it's another uniquely Irish solution of appearing to do something without ACTUALLY doing something and is setup in such a way as to actively place as many barriers as possible in the path of someone who isn't prepared to accept the status quo.

Is it really SO hard for us to get ANYTHING right in this country?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

At this stage kaiser i'd be going to meteor head office and demanding to speak to someone. It's so easy to fob someone off on the phone but harder to do in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Slightly off topic, but I've found Meteor Customer Service to be...weird. Awhile back I rang to find out about a new offer etc (blah blah that part's not important), but as the phone was answered by them on the other end all I could hear was one of the agents woofing, yes woofing, like a dog.

At first I was like 'ha' this is kinda funny, but it went on and after I said to him 'Okay, can you help me now' he continued to woof like a ****ing dog. Anyway, I hung up and rang back again, and explained to the agent, without trying to laugh, what happened. He was bemused and apologetic, and refunded the amount of the previous call and helped with the original query.

wtf?

Head office aren't much better, been there done that!

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone else has had any bad experiences with Meteor but I have found them to be awful!:mad: I've been with Vodafone and currently O2 and Meteor are by far the worst!

You see I accidently topped up €20 meteor credit online instead of O2. I gave them a bank statement as proof of purchase and they said I was entitled to a refund. All very polite and friendly but with no substance behind their words! I have written 2 letters of complaint, 4 e-mails and had 8 calls. Each time they reassure me that I will be refunded in 10 working days. All lies!! What more can I do??

I know €20 euro isn't much but it's the principle that matters. It's my money why should they keep it?

I've never come across a company with such inconsistency in following through on their promises.

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

So just an update on my battle! I e-mailed Meteor again, for the umpteenth time to say that I wanted to escalate my complaint and quoted their code of practice line:
    "Meteor has an internal escalation procedure that ensures that those issues that can not be resolved at any level in the process are handed over to the next level for a resolution. This escalation procedure serves to expedite any issue that has significantly exceeded the target timescales..."

Again, they were all very sympathetic but said that I needed to forward the e-mail to their complaints department at complaints@meteor.ie. Which I did. That was on the 6th of May and they haven't even acknowledged me since.

So frustrating! :mad:

So just an update on my battle! I e-mailed Meteor again, for the umpteenth time to say that I wanted to escalate my complaint and quoted their code of practice line:
    "Meteor has an internal escalation procedure that ensures that those issues that can not be resolved at any level in the process are handed over to the next level for a resolution. This escalation procedure serves to expedite any issue that has significantly exceeded the target timescales..."

Again, they were all very sympathetic but said that I needed to forward the e-mail to their complaints department at complaints@meteor.ie. Which I did. That was on the 6th of May and they haven't even acknowledged me since.

So frustrating! :mad:
    Did you contact ComReg as I suggested? Although they're not much use in terms of a resolution, they can at least force Meteor to deal with your complaint.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Did you contact ComReg as I suggested? Although they're not much use in terms of a resolution, they can at least force Meteor to deal with your complaint.

Hi contacted comreg, they have agreed to intervene on my behalf. Meteor said they will resolve it within 14 days. I'll not hold my breath but hopefully with comreg there'll be a resolution!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 red662

yeah i found them to be sucjha bad serivice and now they charge for getting through load of....
    does anyone know if its possible to forward meteor mail to outlook or hotmail, i cant seem to find a definitive answer please help e frustrated meteor customer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jason_carolan

i would see that it is surely illegal to withhold refunding 20euro credit....
    I'm having the same problem - i was told on 19th may i would have a refund in 10 working days - still waiting - this is the type of $hit u get bak from them "
    I am sorry to hear you have not received your refund.

In relation to your email, I can confirm that I have contacted the relevant Department regarding your refund. Omce I have an update, I will be in contact with you.

I hope this information is of some assistnace to you.

If you have any further queries please call customer care or email info@meteor.ie and we will be delighted to assist you."

i've about 10 of these mails - still getting knowhere - i've comreg involved now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I can't believe the extent of the problems with Meteor and it is just the tip of the iceberg! It's not right that they get to keep money that doesn't belong to them, it amounts to a form of theft really! Is that how they make their profit in a recession? Wouldn't it be great if they were exposed on the Consumer Show!

So you accidently topped up the wrong numbr? and yet its stealing?
    i work in a call centre and somehow it doesnt surprise me how peoples stupidity is somehow someone elses fault:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jason_carolan

booboo88 wrote: »
    i work in a call centre and somehow it doesnt surprise me how peoples stupidity is somehow someone elses fault:rolleyes:

1. the top up went to the wrong provider, not the wrong number - human error or error on part of bank - this is not someone's stupidity.
    2. the customer should always have a positive experience - most times when you call a company you have to go through an automated service before you get to speak to an agent, this is very frustrating for the customer.
    3. most staff working in call centres are paid badly, not given adequate training and have no interest in there job.

there's an old saying - pay peanuts u get monkeys.
    i've spoken to alot of monkeys on the phone in my time.

booboo88 wrote: »

The typical attitude of customer care workers......instead of actually resolving the very simple issues of their paying customers and treating them with a little decency over very small issues ..........this is their attitude...........point and case!

Just after reflecting on my previous point. I don't think all customer care workers share the same attitude as booboo88. I know many customer care workers in many companies who are genuinely helpful, hard working, decent, honest, who make ever effort to solve their customers problems, who don't give you the run around day in day out to fob you off and who deliver on their promises/assurances within the time frame they specify, and who I have alot of respect for! My experience is that I've just not come across any in Meteor yet, maybe I will someday............. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I did something similar. put in 085 instead of 087 on the online credit (forgot to reclick the box) I rang meteor, said I put 20 quid on the wrong number, and they sorted it within an hour. think I had to email a screen shot of the bank transfer details was all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The typical attitude of customer care workers......instead of actually resolving the very simple issues of their paying customers and treating them with a little decency over very small issues ..........this is their attitude...........point and case!

A bit confused here, you aren't a paying Meteor customer, you're with O2. You mistakenly bought Meteor credit which you want refunded out of Meteor's goodwill - that's correct right?

No, I used to be with Meteor for 5 years,I'm not a paying customer now but used to be. I wasn't too clear about that.

Your lucky Bruschi,

I don't understand why they can't do the same for me, I sent them a bank statement as proof of purchase and had to send a second one after 10 days, they just keep telling me that I'm entitled to the refund within 10 days but it never appears. It's not much money really but it's the principle that matters to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

1. the top up went to the wrong provider, not the wrong number - human error or error on part of bank - this is not someone's stupidity.
    2. the customer should always have a positive experience - most times when you call a company you have to go through an automated service before you get to speak to an agent, this is very frustrating for the customer.
    3. most staff working in call centres are paid badly, not given adequate training and have no interest in there job.

there's an old saying - pay peanuts u get monkeys.
    i've spoken to alot of monkeys on the phone in my time.
    exactly, if it is error on part of bank, needs to be sorted with bank.
    yes paid badly, and receiving endless abuse from customers from start to finish, about something they have no control over.

it would be nice to be treated like im human, instead of having my face bitten off, and of course being blamed for the recession:rolleyes:
    it does actually work both ways?
    Just after reflecting on my previous point. I don't think all customer care workers share the same attitude as booboo88. I know many customer care workers in many companies who are genuinely helpful, hard working, decent, honest, who make ever effort to solve their customers problems, who don't give you the run around day in day out to fob you off and who deliver on their promises/assurances within the time frame they specify, and who I have alot of respect for! My experience is that I've just not come across any in Meteor yet, maybe I will someday............. :)
    same attitude as booboo88? its not an atitude, its reality, walk a mile in the person on the other end of the phone. you'll soon realise what crap you have to listen to everyday
    bruschi wrote: »
    I did something similar. put in 085 instead of 087 on the online credit (forgot to reclick the box) I rang meteor, said I put 20 quid on the wrong number, and they sorted it within an hour. think I had to email a screen shot of the bank transfer details was all.
    mistakes can happen, but its how you treat person on other end of the phone :)
    we are not paid enough to listen to abuse, so short story, you get what you give

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement