Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "So here's how my exam today went..." thread

Options
  • 03-05-2011 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

So it's exam time. Hence, we need an exam thread!

If you've just sat a complete and utter bollocks of an exam, this is the thread for you to dissect where it all went horribly, horribly wrong....Alternatively, if you're one of those irritating people who is actually good at what they study, feel free to celebrate that glorious paper you just aced! :P

As for me, I don't start 'til Thursday, thankfully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I had my first exam earlier today - the friendly-sounding "Partial Differential Equations with Applications II"! It was, um... horrible. Not even our lecturer's hundreds of pages of examples could prepare us for the brutality contained within those few pages. There's a possibility that they'll have to arbitrarily bump the marks up because of how impossible everyone found it, but probably not. Bah. Oh well, there goes most of July and August. =/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I was going to set up a thread actually. Nice one Wrench.

I had Gods and Heroes in the Ancient narrative (load of bollocks really).

It went well, I'm pleased. Although it was almost too good to be true at one stage: there were two topics, you answer one. So 90 minutes for one question, bit strange. I got my answers down and I initially feared it'd be my worst exam but all good so far. Just the one down, six to go.

Cold War China tomorrow. I'll duly report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

I sat all of mine in March but best of luck to all of ye sitting exams! Hope ye do great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

BL1002. My lack of study did not help for this exam. About halfway through the MCQ my head began to explode. The last 25-35 questions were friggin mental. I also love how they never put the marking on the front of the paper. So have no idea how the negative marking will kill us!

Glad that one is done and roll on Maths on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

BL1002. My lack of study did not help for this exam. About halfway through the MCQ my head began to explode. The last 25-35 questions were friggin mental. I also love how they never put the marking on the front of the paper. So have no idea how the negative marking will kill us!

They have negative marking on the Bl1002 mcq now?? :o I sat it two years ago and it had no negative marking... :/

Have my first of ten exams tomorrow... environmental systems microbiology... not sure how it's gonna go... could go either way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Had molecular biology today. Was one of those days where i knew everything going in and just had complete brain malfunction during it. Can never handle the stress of exams properly to be honest. Hopefully got the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sat mine in March. Got a 1H. Wish ye all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Had IS Consulting this morning in Neptune and couldn't have asked for a better start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

giggii wrote: »
    They have negative marking on the Bl1002 mcq now?? :o I sat it two years ago and it had no negative marking... :/

Have my first of ten exams tomorrow... environmental systems microbiology... not sure how it's gonna go... could go either way...

All the MCQ's in my course are negative marking :( BL1002, BL1003, BL1004 and BL1005.

Its a bitch :rolleyes: Think its only -1/2 though. They never said on the front of the paper. just said ''NEGATIVE MARKING APPLIES''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

The karyotype diagram on the last question was photocopied rather badly, couldn't even see that there was a y chromosome as well as x. Im sure we've all passed somewhat.
    Time to cram for tides.....in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Just a quick question. Are you allowed to write during reading time officially? I plan to just go in an scribble down everything I can before I forget it in 10 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

All the MCQ's in my course are negative marking :( BL1002, BL1003, BL1004 and BL1005.

Its a bitch :rolleyes: Think its only -1/2 though. They never said on the front of the paper. just said ''NEGATIVE MARKING APPLIES''

The marking for it was +4 / -1 which isn't too bad! I thought the exam was fine, some questions were very specific though!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

Just a quick question. Are you allowed to write during reading time officially? I plan to just go in an scribble down everything I can before I forget it in 10 mins!

yeah i assume so, everyone was doing it yesterday anyways. can only write on the exam paper though, not exam timetable or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

how do you mean official reading time..

First year Arts. Paper 1 yesterday. Paper 2 today. Both went ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I usually use my reading time to scribble down stuff on the exam paper. One over-zealous and pedantic supervisor stopped me from doing it before; "This is READING time" :rolleyes: But most of them don't take any notice.

So yeah, go for it. Most people do it and most supervisors take no notice. Just as long as you're not writing on your actual exam script, I don't see why it would be disallowed.
    closeline wrote: »
    how do you mean official reading time..

Some exams have 10 or 15 minutes reading time before the actual exam starts. So if your exam is at 2, you go in at 1.45 and have 15 minutes to read the paper before you actually start.

Generally, it's only for 90 minute exams, so if you're in 1st year Arts you probably don't get any (I'm assuming 1st yr Arts exams are 3 hours)

ciaradx wrote: »
    The marking for it was +4 / -1 which isn't too bad! I thought the exam was fine, some questions were very specific though!

The marking for BL1002 is still +3 -1, it's BL1004 that has +4 -1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I never realised 'reading time' was exclusively just for reading :confused:

Pff, screw that, I'll write when I want! :pac:

I usually use my reading time to scribble down stuff on the exam paper. One over-zealous and pedantic supervisor stopped me from doing it before; "This is READING time" :rolleyes: But most of them don't take any notice.

So yeah, go for it. Most people do it and most supervisors take no notice. Just as long as you're not writing on your actual exam script, I don't see why it would be disallowed.

Some exams have 10 or 15 minutes reading time before the actual exam starts. So if your exam is at 2, you go in at 1.45 and have 15 minutes to read the paper before you actually start.

Generally, it's only for 90 minute exams, so if you're in 1st year Arts you probably don't get any (I'm assuming 1st yr Arts exams are 3 hours)

Never knew that existed. Well English and Politics are 3 hour exams. No reading time for English anyway. My other tests are 90 minutes so there might be some reading time for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Lads, I just had an exam today and during the reading time I was just scribbling down stuff and not one word was said to me.. It's ideal for formulas and definitions!:D

• Advertisement

Chinese Cold War history today. Satisfied with it. I went into the exam knowing that he's a tough marker and that the paper would be tough. I'm right on the latter, on the former, I hope he will be lenient. Sino-Soviet Alliance came up, completed that well. China's entry into the Cold War, that was OK, nothing special. Worst two are out of the way - hopefully. Alexander the Great on Friday.

Chinese Cold War history today. Satisfied with it. I went into the exam knowing that he's a tough marker and that the paper would be tough. I'm right on the latter, on the former, I hope he will be lenient. Sino-Soviet Alliance came up, completed that well. China's entry into the Cold War, that was OK, nothing special. Worst two are out of the way - hopefully. Alexander the Great on Friday.

By any chance did you lose your timetable today at cit today?

Nope, wasn't in CIT today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Had Current Issues in Marketing today. 14 pages in 90 minutes, that exam was officially my biaatch! :D Couldnt have asked for a better start. And then there were two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

fist exam today, CM3024 analytical chemistry. twas grand. couple things came up that i hadn't studied for and that would've been easy if i'd given a look over. oh well. i'll still be happy if my other 7 go the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I just finished a week of 3 in a row.

First was okish (Algorithms), second was good (Computer Architecture), third (today - Principles of Compilation) was SHOCKING :( Everyone found it tough. Even with my CA I don't know if I'll pass, maybe by compensation but that'll be a miracle. So annoyed because I had studied and felt I was totally prepared.

I am off now until the 16th, at least the rest of them are spread out.

</rant>

Finished my first exam, European Cinema, today. Twas grand out!

Poor guy next to me got caught cheating. For the rest of it I could see his hand shaking. Silly fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Poor guy next to me got caught cheating. For the rest of it I could see his hand shaking. Silly fella.

What happened to him? (I wouldn't call him a poor guy myself.)

I got searched going to the toilets today.

What happened to him? (I wouldn't call him a poor guy myself.)

I got searched going to the toilets today.

Haha well yeah, deserved to get caught.

One of the supervisors just came up, took the piece of paper that he had been hiding in one of the booklets and told him to keep writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Haha well yeah, deserved to get caught.

One of the supervisors just came up, took the piece of paper that he had been hiding in one of the booklets and told him to keep writing.

That must of hurt. I think he'd probably have preferred to have been taken outside, given a bollocking, and told to go back in. But that kind of silent treatment, where you're uncertain afterwards what's going to happen to you, is hard to deal with.

Still, I have little sympathy for him. In one sense exams are a competition amongst fellow students, and if someone does better through cheating everyone else is worse off.

Advertisement