Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georges St Pierre

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

baaaa wrote: »
    I would put "strategists" after "best".
    Other than that I agree.

That's nonsense really. It's not strategy that makes him the best mma wrestler bar none in the sport. It's talent, technique and dedication.

There's not even that much strategy to what he does. It's either take the fight to the ground, or keep it standing. That's what makes him great, he can take the fight wherever he chooses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Just wondering since Shields lost, who now has the longest win streak in MMA? :confused:
    Jose Aldos last loss was November 2005. Not sure of any big name fighters who can beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

His wrestling is as good as if not better than Sonnen's. His submission defence is better. And his striking is far better. If Sonnen came within 2 minutes of beating Anderson Silva with crap submission defence. I'd say that if GSP was the same weight he'd beat him. Pound-for-pound is about skill.

The huge difference is that Sonnen has an iron chin and GSP does not. All Anderson would need to do is catch GSP once and GSP's gameplan along with his consciousness would go out the window.
    GSP has great striking. GSP has great Wrestling and GSP has great Jiu-Jitsu.

GSP's stand-up is not on the same level as Anderson's - Anderson's footwork alone would make GSP look silly as long as it remained standing. If Anderson got GSP in his clinch, the results would be truly horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Yep,there was something wrong with his eye.
    Fighters get eye poked all the time,it doesn't mean that you skirt around your opponent waiting for the final bell to ring.
    It's just another excuse from GSP and his trainers,someday people will realise that he's just a great wrestler that uses grease cleverly and wears a karate headband to fool opponents into thinking he has a interest in striking.
    Look,I nuthug as much as the next person,I just can't understand why people like a fighter like GSP so much-he never finishes,has boring fights,fights conservatively,has been accused by many past opponents of cheating.Of all the fighters to nuthug GSP is the worst choice.

Your posts are great. Very funny stuff all together. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep,there was something wrong with his eye.
    Fighters get eye poked all the time,it doesn't mean that you skirt around your opponent waiting for the final bell to ring.
    It's just another excuse from GSP and his trainers,someday people will realise that he's just a great wrestler that uses grease cleverly and wears a karate headband to fool opponents into thinking he has a interest in striking.
    Look,I nuthug as much as the next person,I just can't understand why people like a fighter like GSP so much-he never finishes,has boring fights,fights conservatively,has been accused by many past opponents of cheating.Of all the fighters to nuthug GSP is the worst choice.

Your either an idiot or a troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

His wrestling is as good as if not better than Sonnen's. His submission defence is better. And his striking is far better. If Sonnen came within 2 minutes of beating Anderson Silva with crap submission defence. I'd say that if GSP was the same weight he'd beat him. Pound-for-pound is about skill.

Anderson has great striking, nobodies seen much of his Jiu-Jitsu but for 22 minutes of the Sonnen fight it didn't look that great. And he hasn't got any wrestling skill..

GSP is top of p4p imo.

I'd fancy Anderson to submit Dan Hardy if he had him on his back for five rounds like GSP had him.

I actually see Sonnen as GSP's worst match up with Sonnen holding him down for five rounds and winning a decision GSP style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What does moving up a weight rank have to do with Pound-for-pound lists. That's why they're pound-for-pound. If all fighters were in the same category, who would be ranked where.. GSP is definitely number 1 on that list.

Anderson has great striking, nobodies seen much of his Jiu-Jitsu but for 22 minutes of the Sonnen fight it didn't look that great. And he hasn't got any wrestling skill..

GSP is top of p4p imo.

Of course moving up a weight class and being able to dominate fighters from that weight class proves you are better p4p. You are showing that even as the smaller guy you can still compete and win. It's your skill and not your size/strength that wins you those fights. This is more impressive then dominating fighthers at your own weight.

Also Silva's BJJ is very good, how many people have submitted Dan Henderson? GSP has better wrestling then Silva and that's about it. His striking isn't even in the same league as Silva's and not even worth mentioning when comparing it to Silva's.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd fancy Anderson to submit Dan Hardy if he had him on his back for five rounds like GSP had him.
    Well of course, Silva is a middle weight, the best in the world currently, he is also a BJJ black belt for nearly 5 years. Hardy is a welter weight, and not in the top 5 at that, and a brown blet
    Kinda goes without saying that Anderson owns him on the ground.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Of course moving up a weight class and being able to dominate fighters from that weight class proves you are better p4p..
    It ahs nothing to do with weight class. Pound for pound is really really subjective. And is mostly a tool for hype.

If he moves up, he'll put on more weight so its wouldn't have any affect on how he is viewed in terms of pound for pound rankings. (of course a match with Silva will settle the debate between them)

Fighting middle weights at his current weight obviously impoves his p4p rankings, but that has 0% chance of happening. He is one of the best fightres when it comes to game plans, he would never put himself in such a ridic position. Plus he has said this himself before .

Mellor wrote: »
    It ahs nothing to do with weight class. Pound for pound is really really subjective. And is mostly a tool for hype.

If he moves up, he'll put on more weight so its wouldn't have any affect on how he is viewed in terms of pound for pound rankings. (of course a match with Silva will settle the debate between them)

Fighting middle weights at his current weight obviously impoves his p4p rankings, but that has 0% chance of happening. He is one of the best fightres when it comes to game plans, he would never put himself in such a ridic position. Plus he has said this himself before .

I'm probably not getting my point across well. But the fact that Silva has been able to jump up to LHW and dominate his opponents while still holding and defending his MW belt makes him number one in my eyes. If GSP was able to do this he would challenge for that title. Obviously he would never do this though as GSP has stated this before.

Also I think Silva is the more talented and a better fighter of the two. Although I do have a habit of changing my mind though about who would win between the two depending on who's last performance has annoyed me the most as I'm not the biggest fan of either.

• Advertisement

You are comparing GSP stepping up to face Silva with silva fighting a poor forrest.

Do you think Silva has a chance against Jones without bulking up. Same situation as GSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Do you think Silva has a chance against Jones without bulking up. Same situation as GSP

Yeah, I don't see why people aren't asking for Silva-Jones instead of Silva-GSP.

There's pretty much only one way GSP could beat Silva - (laying a praying his way to a UD). The only interesting thing about that fight
    would be whether he could achieve this. If he did, the fight itself would make the second Shamrock-Severn snoozer look interesting.

Both Jones and Silva win in spectacular fashion and in a variety of different ways. A fight between the two would be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see why people aren't asking for Silva-Jones instead of Silva-GSP.

There's pretty much only one way GSP could beat Silva - (laying a praying his way to a UD). The only interesting thing about that fight
    would be whether he could achieve this. If he did, the fight itself would make the second Shamrock-Severn snoozer look interesting.

Both Jones and Silva win in spectacular fashion and in a variety of different ways. A fight between the two would be amazing!

Agreed.

I like GSP but have no interest in Silva v GSP. I think Silva would beat him.
    Reckon this is all pie in the sky now anyway. It will be Diaz v GSP and Silva has said he's gonna see out his days at MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

GSP is one of the best for sure but I do find him very boring. He should have been able to put Shields away standing but chose to score points

At the end of the fight when asked about Silva he seemed as interested in that fight as George Bush would be in taking a hiking trip in the Afghan mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

SanoVitae wrote: »
    The huge difference is that Sonnen has an iron chin and GSP does not. All Anderson would need to do is catch GSP once and GSP's gameplan along with his consciousness would go out the window.

Completely forgot about that aspect actually :confused: Although in fairness, Sonnen didn't get tagged too much..

You are comparing GSP stepping up to face Silva with silva fighting a poor forrest.

Even if GSP moved up and fought the likes of Okami, Sonnen etc it would give him more reason to labelled as number one p4p. He was made look poor because Silva is in different class to Forrest.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Even if GSP moved up and fought the likes of Okami, Sonnen etc it would give him more reason to labelled as number one p4p. He was made look poor because Silva is in different class to Forrest.

Yes.

I'm not a huge fan of the pound for pound debate in MMA or boxing I think it's just for hype, but I thought the idea of the pound for pound was to show where fighters would be ranked if they were all in the same weight class. So I don't see why going up and beating Okami, Sonnen etc. would increase Georges p4p standings more than if he stayed at WW and beat the likes of Diaz, Conduit, Fitch (again).

He would be proving that his talent can over come talented opponents who are bigger and stronger then him.

Anyway if they where all at the same weight, I'd go with Silva.

Yes.
    Ignoring the p4p thing (i've already said its just hype)

You honestly think silva beats jones if they fight at their current weights. :eek:
    TBH I'm a bit surprised at that

Advertisement