Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georges St Pierre

Options
  • 02-05-2011 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭

So what's everybody's opinions on GSP now?

I lost patience with the guy some time ago, it seems now he goes into a fight not to win, just not to lose, he really is boring the crap outta me.

His last 6 fights he's failed to finish, i'm counting the BJ fight as a failed to finish as that was a doctor stoppage and i doubt he'd have risked trying a finish in the last round.

The amount of times he's dropped someone and failed to pounce, just waits till they get up again.

He used to be so exciting, and wants to go down as a legend, legends to me are fighters who leave it all in the ring, guys like Chuck & Wandy, who will go in and look to finish a fight.

IMO this all started when he was KO'd by Serra.

What's next for him? The only possible fight i can see is Diaz, and i reckon at this moment in time Diaz would take him

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I went to bed just before his fight last night and felt pretty vindicated this morning when I read about it.

I try not to hate him since its up to him to fight whatever way he wants and if he is only interested in winning safe then good for him. But I have no interest in ever seeing him fight again, infact the only person I ever want to see him matched against is Fitch so that they are only wasting one fight instead of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    His last 6 fights he's failed to finish, i'm counting the BJ fight as a failed to finish as that was a doctor stoppage and i doubt he'd have risked trying a finish in the last round.

The BJ fight wasn't a doctor stoppage.

He's a smart fighter, he was never going to go to the ground with Shields, he had a game plan and stuck to it. fight your best fight, not the best looking fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He's gone a bit boring, but is still one of the greatest of all time. I think he'll take Nick Diaz, which is the only fight left for him at 170. If he goes up to 185 we'll see the GSP of old. He'll have no other choice if he was to fight A. Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    The BJ fight wasn't a doctor stoppage.

He's a smart fighter, he was never going to go to the ground with Shields, he had a game plan and stuck to it. fight your best fight, not the best looking fight

Sure it was a doctor stoppage

I was pretty sure that it was corner stoppage, as in BJ/his corner chose not to continue

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I was pretty sure that it was corner stoppage, as in BJ/his corner chose not to continue

Splittin hairs here, either way, was another fight Georgie didn't/couldn't finish.

Quite a few of my mates, who are BIG GSP fans are even coming round to my way of thinking, at times i think GSP mistakes his fights for Karate tournaments rather than MMA

I'd consider BJ not coming back out as GSP finishing (I would also for a doctor stoppage)

But I do see your point.
    On the other hand betting on GSP to win by decision is like printing money

GSP's problem is killer instinct. He doesnt have it. There were openings when he hurt shields to go in and finish or hurt him more, but he stepped back out behind the jab.
    My eyes were closing in the last round, that should not be happening.

Your right in a way mellor about winning the fight. But GSP wants a legacy, and he doesnt want to be remembered as a boring fighter I dont think. I reckon if not for the eye, he would be getting some stick from Dana for that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Cover one eye, try hitting a target, now imagine that target is moving and trying to hit back, pretty hard, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

BJ didn't want to come out for the last round. That's about as finished as you can get.

He couldn't see out of one eye for three rounds of the fight. For him to have done anything else then stick to what was comfortably winning him the fight would have been madness. This will be ignored obviously by those who want to push the same old srgument.

We've seen GSP give absolute clinincs in the ground game in certain fights and then change it all up with absolute clinics in stand up (Koscheck fight). I never found any of this boring.

How come his opponents never get any criticism for being so ineffective? Shields knew he needed a stoppage to win the fight in the last round and he still didn't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I like GSP. Fair enough he's not the most exciting fighter but he's prob one of the most intelligent fighters in MMA today.
    He's constantly re-inventing himself and changes his came to neutralise his opponents strengths. And you have to hand it to him.....it works.
    And to be fair, he couldn't see a thing out of one eye since the 2nd round so to risk an all out attack with one eye would've been suicide.
    He even apologised to the fans after the fight fo it not living up to the hype. I think he wanted to put on a show for the fans in his hometown.
    At the end of the day while the fight isn't going down as a classic, he still went out against one of the best fighters in the world and beat him convincingly. With one eye.

There's no doubt GSP is a fantastic fighter. Arguably the best p4p, and there's no doubt he's the definition of a Mixed Martial artist. But it's almost like he has no base style anymore, he just negates his opponents strengths, making for a boring fight.

As Dana always says "Styles make fights" GSP's "Style" never makes a fight. He gets an awful lot of criticism for it but the thing is that he's trying to preserve himself for the twilight of his career. GSP is 29, the usual peak age for an MMA fighter is around 30 right? If anyone's cared to notice GSP has taken minimal damage in those 9 fights since the Serra fight.

Sure everyone loves a fighter such as Chuck Liddell that goes out and stands toe to toe with everyone and gets the win anyway but the reality of it is that Chuck wowed the crowd but is permanently damaged because of it. Chuck made a huge legacy and is probably one of the most loved fighters ever.
    GSP is taking no damage so he can remain dominant for a looooong time.

I can't see him losing at WW for a long time. There's no threats to him, no legit contenders. Diaz hasn't fought a decent wrestler in ages and GSP knows that's where he needs to take the fight because Diaz has great standup. So the only decent contenders GSP can get are at Middleweight, but there's a nice chance that most of them have the size advantage to beat him there. He's 5' 10'', the tallest guys he's fought are Jason Miller and Fitch. But MW fighters as big as Yushin Okami, Brian Stann, Alan Belcher, CB.Dolloway and Mark Munoz. They're all too big for GSP imo.

When GSP retires. He'll have a nice job with the UFC as Canada's most loved fighter (Bringing the last two gate records) and he'll also be healthy at the same time. Win win for Georges but see if he cares what you think of his fights when he's getting drowned in money by Dana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

He must fight Nick Diaz. If he beats him then he is the best welterweight in the world, simple as that.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    He must fight Nick Diaz. If he beats him then he is the best welterweight in the world, simple as that.

Are you actually suggesting that he isn't already the best welterweight in the world?

Oh boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

It takes two to make a good fight. Shield's performance was a bad one. His striking did enough to frustrate St. Pierre and his poke to the eye stopped the final rounds being anything like exciting. He shot for a takedown once or twice and was easily stopped.

Sure, GSP didn't look like he was ever going to break out of second gear, but that was impressive enough as it was. If anyone thinks Diaz is going to beat St. Pierre, they are mental. He'll give a better account of himself than Shields did, but GSP will wrestle his was to victory.

I see no reason to believe that anyone currently fighting in the welterweight division has anything for GSP at this moment in time.

He's the best in the world, albeit the best in the weakest weight class, he's also the most 'boring' best of weight in the world. That was my point

He's the best in the world, albeit the best in the weakest weight class, he's also the most 'boring' best of weight in the world. That was my point

Weakest weightclass?
    I think Welterweight is the second most competitive, first being lightweight. You have Koscheck, Alves, Fitch, Rumble, BJ, Shields, Kampmann, Sanchez. Some of the most talented fighters in the world.

Yea, you think he's boring, we get it. Some of us just don't agree with you.

Also, Welterweight is by no means the weakest weight class, GSP just makes it look that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He knows how to win fights but it's fairly boring watching him do it. The Koscheck fight wasn't great and this one against Shields wasn't that fascinating either.

He's got a good game plan it seems and sticks to it religiously. Intelligent fighter but I'd hope he moves up a weight class because there doesn't seem to be really anybody left.

Rory McDonald looks a good prospect but probably too soon to go up against him.

Weakest weightclass?
    I think Welterweight is the second most competitive, first being lightweight. You have Koscheck, Alves, Fitch, Rumble, BJ, Shields, Kampmann, Sanchez. Some of the most talented fighters in the world.

Which makes his absolute dominance all the more incredible.

• Advertisement

An interesting take on the whole loss of an eye for 3 rounds thing...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/1/2146974/ufc-129-a-unique-perspecitve-on-st-pierres-performance

That_Guy wrote: »

Rory McDonald looks a good prospect but probably too soon to go up against him.

I'm not trying to make any allegations here or anything but Rory Macdonald didn't have that much acne for the Condit fight. I know acne is common for ~20 year olds but that was a lot of it. So I'll wait for the lab results to start touting the guy as a prospect. He put in a fantastic performance last night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Richy06 wrote: »
    An interesting take on the whole loss of an eye for 3 rounds thing...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/1/2146974/ufc-129-a-unique-perspecitve-on-st-pierres-performance

So has he had eye injurys the last 5-6 fights!!

The article makes sense but fact is he is a safety 1st type fighter.

1 of the modern greats no doubt but still.
    I'm not trying to make any allegations here or anything but Rory Macdonald didn't have that much acne for the Condit fight. I know acne is common for ~20 year olds but that was a lot of it. So I'll wait for the lab results to start touting the guy as a prospect. He put in a fantastic performance last night though.

I actually thought about that myself been honest.

but as we all know we cant talk about the subject without facts so we'll leave it there..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I don't deny that at all. I'm not defending GSP, nor am I a GSP nuthugger. I just thought it was an interesting take on it. When Jake Shields outstrikes GSP in a 5 round fight, there's more going on than just his play safe way of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Richy06 wrote: »
    I don't deny that at all. I'm not defending GSP, nor am I a GSP nuthugger. I just thought it was an interesting take on it. When Jake Shields outstrikes GSP in a 5 round fight, there's more going on than just his play safe way of fighting.

He did'nt out strike GSP!
    Otherwise he would of won the fight!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

According to compustrike he actually outlanded GSP in total strikes landed. GSP edged him with power shots though.

Top rated comment was classic.
    "Seagal thought him that poke"

Most likely Chuck did. Old Kenpo Karate trick apparently that he broke out when fighting Couture.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I know he far more popular but no one ever seems to give Edgar or Cruz any grief about finishing fights. I really don't think Edgar will ever be able to stop a top contender and Cruz is a point striker with a very bad finishing rate. It is so difficult for champions to finish a fighter but I feel Georges tries most of the time. Cruz and Edgar just come out to win rounds and possibly their lack of popularity id due to their lack of highlight reel finishes. I just don't see why their is a new thread every time Georges fails to finish while few would mention it if Cruz or Edgar fail to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Top rated comment was classic.
    "Seagal thought him that poke"

As he reaches out with an open palm it looks like he's about to slap him in the face :pac: But yeah, that was either very sloppy or intentional.

Im not a fan of GSP but sadly I think the eye injury will make him even more cautious as a fighter. He sounded very concerned in the corner and by all accounts he still couldn't see out of it the next day.

Advertisement