Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georges St Pierre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I noticed Shields fingers were out a lot like that to be honest, was odd to say the least unless it's a style ? I would guess it's to help his shots for takedowns to keep them open like that all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I'm more pissed off with Shields being so poor after so much hype.

We all knew what GSP would do so it was very frustrating to find out that Shields could not do anything to take GSP out of his gameplan.

Worst of all, he never seemed to change his strategy in any way throughout 5 rounds. How could he not telegraph just one of the dozens of overhand rights and go all-out for a takedown?

It would have been very different fight had it hit the ground, with Shields in top position. But that's Shield's fault, not GSP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

gsp has proven hes p4p the best

jake shields should be what were talking about he was USELESS beyond belief:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

jake shields should be what were talking about he was USELESS beyond belief:mad:

No he hasn't, for me he'll have to move up a weight class and beat someone to be seen as the p4p best. Anderson Silva has twice and KO'd both of them. He's in the top 3/4 but he's not number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

ya true in that regard silva would be p4p!

gsp is up there personally i hate watching him fight not a fan at all

gsp vs silva is to ufc to what mayweather vs pacquiao is to boxing

neither will ever happen:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Not a fan either, his style isn't enjoyable to watch and he's very predictable. He's good at what he does, squeeks out points wins by avoiding engaging and pointscoring.

The level of competition is poor at his weight class though, It'll be interesting to see if Nate Marquart moves down or they bring Nick Diaz in. Definitely not p4p top three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Not a fan either, his style isn't enjoyable to watch and he's very predictable. He's good at what he does, squeeks out points wins by avoiding engaging and pointscoring.

The level of competition is poor at his weight class though, It'll be interesting to see if Nate Marquart moves down or they bring Nick Diaz in. Definitely not p4p top three.

Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Oh_Noes wrote: »

Really can't ever see him fighting Marquart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

scudzilla wrote: »
    So what's everybody's opinions on GSP now?

I think he's proved that he's the greatest welterweight of all time.

GSP is a victim of his own success - he's undoubtedly #1 in his weightclass and your could make a convincing argument that he's #1 pound for pound. He's the guy everyone wants to see lose because he's too good. He smashed BJ and people talked about vaseline or that it wasn't a real stoppage. He beats top class opposition and "the division is weak" or he's not exciting enough.

"I'd have more respect for him if put it on the line" is what some people say, and fair enough they may mean it, but most other people who claim that would be straight on the internet about how GSP was always overrated. Two or three "glorious losses" in a row and they'd say he was "done" and "should retire now". GSP knows that the MMA world is fickle.

In terms of his performance against Shields, he answered the question many people had - about his heart. He couldn't see out of one eye and was clearly troubled by it and taking damage, but still executed his gameplan perfectly. I'd be interested to know which two rounds two of the judges gave to Shields. I can see an argument for the fifth and no other but I was watching it with my fan hat on rather than my judging one.

The Diaz fight would be interesting in that it's the most dangerous guard he's faced in recent times, but again realistically GSP is a heavy favourite. Hopefully if he chooses to move up in weight class, he won't be pushed into fighting Silva straight away, but given the time (and a couple of hand picked fights if he wants them) to settle at middleweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

gspspit00.gif

GSP greases himself up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

gsp is what 5'10? He is way to small to trouble silva i think , size difference on fight night would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he moves up, he'll spend a good few months moving to 185 properly, putting on 20 lbs of muscle, he'll be a similar size but shorter.
    6'0" is pretty standard for a MW, plenty of top 10 guys are that size. 5'10" is small for a middleweight, but not unheard of, "Sexyama" for one IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

gsp must be around that come his WW fight nights, he is a monster at that weight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I meant move up to the 185 lb division, not to a weight of 185lb - He's already there abouts, but in order to be top level competive he need to be over 200lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Read the full interview and the comments underneath. The quote is taken out of context. He doesn't accuse GSP of greasing.

For those of you who are lazy...

From the interview:
    "Props to GSP for having excellent takedown defense and making it a stand-up fight where he thought he will win, but Jake came out to fight and I thought he looked really good. GSP has beaten everybody else up for the most part and made it very lopsided in his wins and, even though he was able to take the fight where he wanted it and that was standing, it looked like Jake did very well standing, you know, on his feet with him.

I think with Jake even his guard is so good he’ll reverse position if they, if, you know… He was trying to find a way, you know, finish this fight. It’s a tough, tough fight for anyone fighting GSP because the guy’s a master at the point fighting thing. He’ll go with his striking a little bit and if he’s not doing that great standing, he’ll take you down.

But it’s an interesting match-up because Nick’s jiu-jitsu is world-class, also. he has a great guard, he submits people, he doesn’t get hurt. That might be a nightmare for GSP and the only way to know that is if these two guys fight, so we’ll see what happens."

He said GSP was slippery after he slipped out of single leg attempts. Didn’t even allude to any wrongdoing.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Read the full interview and the comments underneath. The quote is taken out of context. He doesn't accuse GSP of greasing.

For those of you who are lazy...

From the interview:
    "Props to GSP for having excellent takedown defense and making it a stand-up fight where he thought he will win, but Jake came out to fight and I thought he looked really good. GSP has beaten everybody else up for the most part and made it very lopsided in his wins and, even though he was able to take the fight where he wanted it and that was standing, it looked like Jake did very well standing, you know, on his feet with him.

I think with Jake even his guard is so good he’ll reverse position if they, if, you know… He was trying to find a way, you know, finish this fight. It’s a tough, tough fight for anyone fighting GSP because the guy’s a master at the point fighting thing. He’ll go with his striking a little bit and if he’s not doing that great standing, he’ll take you down.

But it’s an interesting match-up because Nick’s jiu-jitsu is world-class, also. he has a great guard, he submits people, he doesn’t get hurt. That might be a nightmare for GSP and the only way to know that is if these two guys fight, so we’ll see what happens."

He said GSP was slippery after he slipped out of single leg attempts. Didn’t even allude to any wrongdoing.
    This is what Caeser said about GSP's leg-"so it must have been really slippery or something, I don’t know".
    Do you know what allude means?

He may have been alluding to the fact that GSP was sweaty.

Are you familiar with conclusions? More specifically, jumping to them?

He may have been alluding to the fact that GSP was sweaty.
    Lol ,really?I don't think he was "alluding" to sweat,that would be like a football player alluding to the fact that the ball might be round.
    You are aware that many fighters have accused GSP of greasing?
    I am positive that he doesn't grease his balls though,otherwise you would slip off and be unable to continue arguing for him.

I'm well aware of the accusations, I'm sure that he may have done it before.
    Neither am I a GSP nuthugger. I just can't fathom how people seem to like to jump all over a fighter after a bad performance. Fighters have good and bad performances. Why does it have to come down to accusations of greasing because Shields couldn't get him down?

The exaggerated over analysis that follows fights like this just amazes me.
    I'm sorry GSP didn't rip out his useless eyeball and use it to batter Shields into submission. I really am. Next time I'll jump on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement

I'm well aware of the accusations, I'm sure that he may have done it before.
    Neither am I a GSP nuthugger. I just can't fathom how people seem to like to jump all over a fighter after a bad performance. Fighters have good and bad performances. Why does it have to come down to accusations of greasing because Shields couldn't get him down?

The exaggerated over analysis that follows fights like this just amazes me.
    I'm sorry GSP didn't rip out his useless eyeball and use it to batter Shields into submission. I really am. Next time I'll jump on the bandwagon.
    Do,it will save me the hassle of poking you down from in and around GSP's nutsack.

Have you read that link?

Yeah,the usual bs from Zahabi-wasn't as bad as we originally made out but still bad enough to make excuses for Georges inability to finish.

So it's clear that there was something wrong with his eye, which was obvious to anyone watching the fight.

Clive wrote: »
    So it's clear that there was something wrong with his eye, which was obvious to anyone watching the fight.
    Yep,there was something wrong with his eye.
    Fighters get eye poked all the time,it doesn't mean that you skirt around your opponent waiting for the final bell to ring.
    It's just another excuse from GSP and his trainers,someday people will realise that he's just a great wrestler that uses grease cleverly and wears a karate headband to fool opponents into thinking he has a interest in striking.
    Look,I nuthug as much as the next person,I just can't understand why people like a fighter like GSP so much-he never finishes,has boring fights,fights conservatively,has been accused by many past opponents of cheating.Of all the fighters to nuthug GSP is the worst choice.

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

My opinion on GSP? Well, he's one of the best ever. He's also one of the most boring ever.

But you can't deny his talents, and his fights are only really so boring because he's so well rounded(even though he could take more risks).

He comes up against a good striker, he'll just take that away from them and plant them on the mat for five rounds. He fought Shields, didn't want the fight on the ground, so didn't let him take it here and comfortable out-boxed him on the feet. So it's up to the other fighters to catch up to him. Until there's someone who can stuff his take-downs and out-strike him on the feet it's just going to be more of the same.

el dude wrote: »
    My opinion on GSP? Well, he's one of the best ever. He's also one of the most boring ever.

But you can't deny his talents, and his fights are only really so boring because he's so well rounded(even though he could take more risks).

He comes up against a good striker, he'll just take that away from them and plant them on the mat for five rounds. He fought Shields, didn't want the fight on the ground, so didn't let him take it here and comfortable out-boxed him on the feet. So it's up to the other fighters to catch up to him. Until there's someone who can stuff his take-downs and out-strike him on the feet it's just going to be more of the same.
    I would put "strategists" after "best".
    Other than that I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Ask anyone around here and they'll tell you I hate GSP more than most people but there's an awful lot of trollop in here imo..

In fact, I hate him nearly as much as I love Chael Sonnen.. :rolleyes:

He wasn't useless, he's the first person to take a round off GSP in years. He wasn't useless, his major plan was taken out of the equation when GSP easily stuffed his shots. Just like Fitch, Hardy, Alves' gameplans were put out of the equation due to GSP's skill. Not because they were useless.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    No he hasn't, for me he'll have to move up a weight class and beat someone to be seen as the p4p best. Anderson Silva has twice and KO'd both of them. He's in the top 3/4 but he's not number one.

What does moving up a weight rank have to do with Pound-for-pound lists. That's why they're pound-for-pound. If all fighters were in the same category, who would be ranked where.. GSP is definitely number 1 on that list.

His wrestling is as good as if not better than Sonnen's. His submission defence is better. And his striking is far better. If Sonnen came within 2 minutes of beating Anderson Silva with crap submission defence. I'd say that if GSP was the same weight he'd beat him. Pound-for-pound is about skill.

GSP has great striking. GSP has great Wrestling and GSP has great Jiu-Jitsu.

Anderson has great striking, nobodies seen much of his Jiu-Jitsu but for 22 minutes of the Sonnen fight it didn't look that great. And he hasn't got any wrestling skill..

GSP is top of p4p imo.
    Clive wrote: »
    In terms of his performance against Shields, he answered the question many people had - about his heart. He couldn't see out of one eye and was clearly troubled by it and taking damage, but still executed his gameplan perfectly. I'd be interested to know which two rounds two of the judges gave to Shields. I can see an argument for the fifth and no other but I was watching it with my fan hat on rather than my judging one.

I had it scored 48-47 to GSP too. I can't remember specifically which rounds I gave to Shields but I really don't want to watch that fight again so please believe me :p I can't see how any judge scored it 50-45 though. Shields definitely won one of the rounds.
    baaaa wrote: »
    Yep,there was something wrong with his eye.
    Fighters get eye poked all the time,it doesn't mean that you skirt around your opponent waiting for the final bell to ring.
    It's just another excuse from GSP and his trainers,someday people will realise that he's just a great wrestler that uses grease cleverly and wears a karate headband to fool opponents into thinking he has a interest in striking.
    Look,I nuthug as much as the next person,I just can't understand why people like a fighter like GSP so much-he never finishes,has boring fights,fights conservatively,has been accused by many past opponents of cheating.Of all the fighters to nuthug GSP is the worst choice.

TROLLOLOLOLOLOL

Just wondering since Shields lost, who now has the longest win streak in MMA? :confused:

Advertisement